The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Small Change to Double Your Sales and Improve Your Action-Taking

Anything related to matters of the mind

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Can you tell I've been working on my copywriting? :p

So I've been reading a book called "The As If Principle" (highly recommended) and I want to share with everyone the best single point I've gotten out of it so far, which takes the least effort to incorporate and see results. Wiseman calls it the 'foot-in-the-door' technique.

The as if principle states that our behaviors determine our emotions, not the other way around. ie we are happy because we smile, we are angry because we yell, etc. This basic, widely proven principle is what causes the foot-in-the-door technique to be so effective.

To incorporate this technique into sales all you have to do is convince people to do something that requires so little of them that they'll almost never refuse. This little thing should make them act as though they're a supporter/user of your product or service. One example given in the book relates to charity. Knocking on people's door and asking them to donate to a cancer charity resulted in 46% writing a check. But by asking them instead to simply wear a pin for two weeks that shows their support, over 90% of these people donated when they were asked. By making people act as if they support the charity, they came to believe they're the type of person who would in fact support and donate, increasing their chances of actually doing so.

Now for yourself and your action-taking. Rather than talk to yourself about how you're an action-taker or read about action taking, just go DO SOMETHING. ANYTHING. After taking any small (but real) action, your mind will re-shape its beliefs to support the fact that you ARE the type of person to take action, because your behavior says so. And once you believe you're the type of person to take action, you'll most likely continue to take action in order to avoid contradicting your beliefs.

I think this is all supported by the awesome Tony Robbins video @Peakdesire posted last month too, which I just came across the other day. TR mentions that our beliefs about our potential support our action(or lack of) which creates results and supports our beliefs. It's all cyclical. Do you choose to spiral up or spiral down?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

regalforte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 5, 2014
Excellent suggestion. I remember reading a quote somewhere along the lines of "every 1000 mile journey begins with the first step" or something like that. So that one step is all it takes to parachute you forward.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
When I was in a completely different line of work, I had a ritual that I used to deal with obstacles. I'd go brew a pot of coffee. This was long before K-cups.

I'd run into a brick wall. Wonder how I was going to fix this. I'd realize it was time to either step away from the problem, or remove just a little more material and really screw myself. And I'd walk from the shop to the house. Brew a pot. Pour a cup. All the while, turning options over in my mind. Then, with the reward in hand for having known it was time to step back and go do something simple and still rewarding, I'd go kick a$$.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Good advice.
You might like Robert Cialdini's Book "Influence".
You know I think I've read something of his, or maybe listened to an audio book. That name is really familiar, but I can't think if I've actually read anything. Good suggestion though, added it to my reading list. Thanks!

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
He explains "Commitment and Consistency" using the same charity-example, if I remember correctly, saying People usually commit to being consistent (with their previous behaviour).

The "As If Principle" you recommend seems go down this route even further (at a first glance) - which makes it a must-read for me.
Thanks for recommending it.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
good stuff, I like to think of it this way: Do the thing and you will get the energy and motivation to do the thing as you do it! just start!

Agreed. It's a bit different IMO, but the psychology field calls it "flow" or "zone", when a person is completely absorbed in a state of focus and productivity on a certain task without really being conscious of it. I love being in that state. Hours go by and I barely notice. I almost forget to eat or go to the bathroom lol. It's a form of meditation to me. Obstacles aren't even remotely frustrating and the whole process is so fulfilling. And the results are amazing.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Thanks for the book recommendation. Its amazing how true this statement is. Once I finally stopped focusing on projections, business cards, phone lines, and started "Doing actual work" I was putting cash in my pocket on a daily basis.

Phenomenal advice, shut up and DO!

Kshatriya

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 13, 2014
Where am I?
A similar lesson I learned recently. I have been thinking about it ever since. This thought was intensely running in my mind today. As a coincidence, I came across your post now.

When there is more money in my shop's cash drawer, I find more sales; which, in turn, increases the cash in the drawer. Although I don't know whether this happens every time, this has been occurring recently.

Another thing:
I had a bank account balance of over Rs. 1,00,000 and it was growing rapidly and crossed Rs. 2,00,000 in a significantly short time. It's certainly not from the compound interest. Once I bought a small chunk of land and almost wiped out my bank balance, growth of money in the bank account has become relatively sluggish. It's acquiring more speed as it's growing.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.