The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good economics/finance books?

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I've been looking for a couple, I know of the ancient "Capital" and "The Wealth of Nations" but beyond that I don't know of alot

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Are you looking for textbooks and similar? If so, you should have a look at Khan's Academy video in the Economics section. A good primer for the basics before you go into details.
Also, I really like The Economics Book and The Business Book, both from the Big Ideas Simply Explained series. Of course, one should take everything with a grain of salt, as in these subjects there is space for different opinions.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Econ and Finance are both really big fields. What are you trying to learn? Business specific things? General econ?

Economics in One Lesson is a pretty great book by Henry Hazlitt. Here is a link where you can get the book for free: http://mises.org/library/economics-one-lesson

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
For economics read...
Debunking economics by Steve keen. One of the few economists to predict the 08 crash.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
That's a KICK a$$ resource!

Yes, the Mises Institute has THOUSANDS of amazing free economics books and also countless hours of audio and stuff from econ classes and economics talks.

If you want more of a textbook approach, try this one. I've read a good bit of it and it is pretty good: http://mises.org/library/lessons-young-economist

Also, The Law by Frederic Bastiat is really good and super short, they have an audio book for free as well, which is pretty sweet. I didn't know about it till now: http://mises.org/library/law-1

The reason why I like the Mises Institute is just because I learned more about econ from their website then I did getting my Econ/Finance bachelors degree...haha.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Economics in One Lesson is a pretty great book by Henry Hazlitt.

This is the first book that came to mind. It's very easy to read, although sometimes it takes a minute to understand the relationships on why things work the way they do, but if you read it slowly through those parts it makes a lot of sense.

I think this book is a great read in a lot of ways too, beyond just simple Economics. If you understand the pattern you come to realize that a lot of what the author presents reaches deep into a lot of other areas. Economics is great for really learning how to think critically and question everything. It helps you make your own decisions rather than accepting generally stated principles that are repeated and accepted.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Once the business is going and you are pouring over the P&L's...... try
Finance for Executives: Managing for Value Creation by Gabriel Hawawini
really good thoughts on why a business even exists....

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
Econ and Finance are both really big fields. What are you trying to learn? Business specific things? General econ?

It all comes down to this, @twdavis . How experienced are you in these fields and what exactly are you trying to dig deeper into?

I would recommend Naked Economics from Charles Wheelan. He does an excelent job in making "dry" material seem interesting and funny. It is a bit basic in some aspects, but I still picked up tons of dots to complete the big picture of economics.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
It all comes down to this, @twdavis . How experienced are you in these fields and what exactly are you trying to dig deeper into?

I would recommend Naked Economics from Charles Wheelan. He does an excelent job in making "dry" material seem interesting and funny. It is a bit basic in some aspects, but I still picked up tons of dots to complete the big picture of economics.

I have minimal experience but I'm looking to learn a ton about economics in general, both micro and macro.

Thank you guys for all the links!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. It talks about economics from a point of economics being unpredictable, as opposed to how conventional economics is taught to be predictable and logical.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.