The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you currently do for work?

regalforte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 5, 2014
Hiya,

Just curious as to what everyone's currently doing for work. What is currently generating your main source of income and where do you hope to end up 5 years from now?

For me, I'm currently in the education field. I teach on the side and occasionally work for established businesses (all slowlane at the moment). On my free time, I've been reading a lot of books on programming and sales. My goal is to eventually build an online subscription course of some sort, although I'm open to new ideas.

My only passive source of income at the moment are my savings which are parked in a bunch of random vanguard funds, although at the moment the market seems to be going downhill so I'm back to where I started.

What's your story?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Right now I create websites. I'm self-employed, and I love doing it. But I'll be on my way to passive income once I release my first app (within the next few months).

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
currently in manual labor just to survive (moved out).

serves me right dropped out of college to jump on a venture idea

it failed miserably and cost me a nice job opp that's better than shoveling crap for hrs on end

So I took up copy writing (practice after work) to parlay it

into a main income source for my ventures.

One thing that's dawned on me recently is how small I am (lost some ego)

but I am somehow more confident.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Currently, I run a small consulting business. I'm a solo practitioner although I have a small support staff. Although my business is lucrative, I'm basically trading hours for dollars. Yesterday I put in 17 and 3/4 hours. Today I was a bit of a slacker and quit after 14. However, I'm using some of the proceeds from my business to fund a TV production business my wife and I started a few years ago. We have one show that airs in Australia and New Zealand currently and are in negotiations with networks in the UK and Canada. If one of those two deals comes through, we'll turn a profit. Just finished shooting season two of that show, and we're aiming squarely at the US market. If that happens, I'll start scaling back my consulting activities to develop additional programming.

Cheers,
O-2

BigEasy25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 4, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I work for a trucking company and rent out an apartment. Although working in trucking is as slowlane as you can get it has given me experience in an industry that I plan to build a niche business around. Don't be ashamed of working in the slowlane but instead take advantage of learning as much about the industry you are in so you can build a business that can improve it.

KaiReader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 21, 2014
I'm kinda an I.T. all-rounder, I know a little about a lot of computer related things, so my job varies according to what needs doing lol! Currently maintaining an e-commerce website & Access DB while also working on development of a startup e-reader/eBook sales platform. So to keep my family fed I do a little web-development, programming and marketing, lots of research and frequently poke holes in my Boss's ideas.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I have a variety of fun sources, but only one that my energy is truly poured into these days. I'm a professional musician, the modern vaudeville group that my band's a part of has multi-tiered memberships and online retail as well, I teach vocals, coach rock bands across the world, write stories (books, comics, film, etc) for my group, write courses and books about the music business, have a graphic design firm focused on musicians, plus I'm a freelance recording engineer, and commercial voice over actor -- to name a few. The beauty of it all is having a team of people that share the same core values, where we each take on specific roles that allow us to each have laser-like focus. I left the job market almost a dozen years ago and will never go back.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
My slow lane is law enforcement. I am a police officer in a municipal town in NJ. I make good money for a slow lane but its not taking me where I want to be in life. Currently it is my only source of income. In my spare time I like to read books on finance, self-help, etc. I started a website & Facebook in a certain niche that I think I can make some money in. Slowly building up followers and will be taking it to the next level soon hopefully. Things have been very busy as of late (no excuses tho) with a 14 month old, wife that is 27 weeks pregnant, living with my parents as we sold our house in October and are waiting to close on our new house. Can you say stressful? LOL. Also been working a lot of overtime at the slowlane.

In five years I'd like to have multiple sources of passive income set up. I'd like to have my new house paid off or almost paid off. Unless I make it REAL big I plan on keeping my slow lane job due to the benefits/healthcare/fact that I can retire young.

Good luck to all of you!

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Telemarketer, on the phone playing verbal chess for 10 hours every day.

Oh man, been there, done that--don't envy you.

I finished college, took an office job for 7 months, saved up $10 000--took one of those new age, expensive fancy coding bootcamps. 9 weeks later I was a junior developer. That was earlier this year.

Now I just landed a pretty comfy office job, where I spend 9-5 getting better at programming web applications. My slowlane is just an extended educational endeavour.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Regional Account Manager for a Hospitality Vendor. I provide P&L analysis for large hotels. It has given me a lot of experience of how to analyze cashflow and manage by numbers.

I like what I do sometimes. The pay is great, but the hours are annyoing. I typically work 70 plus hours per week, and spend 1-2 nights a week away from home.

I am currently working to replace my income through a small farm. I am willing to work harder for more hours to regain complete control over my life.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I'm a Test Analyst for a Fortune 500 company. Basically, I'm taking care of the quality of delivered software and work together with a lot of offshore colleagues based in a lower wage country. The majority of our customer are banks (where I work now too). Usually I work 8-9 hours a day but I also have a commute of 1,5 hour one way. Counting in sleep, dinner, breakfast and shower there's little time left for my fastlane venture.

So I'm trying to be as efficient as possible. Therefore, not spending a lot of time on the forum lately...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Self employed since 2000. 10 years as an IT contractor, and 5 years as an AdWords contractor (some time overlapping, and a couple of "jobs" to re-skill).

Currently I go on client sites Mon-Thu for 5 hours. 2-3 hours commuting a day, so leave at 7:30am and get home at 4:30pm.

That's slow-lane, but doing something I love, and learning with other people's money (two clients... one spends $5k a day, the other $100k+ a day).

My second shift is from 9:00pm till 11:00pm where I am trying to build some income streams that can allow me to reduce the time I have to go onsite. If I slowlaned from home then I can free up the commuting hours.

The ultimate aim is to use my skills to help waaay more people and businesses generate more sales, revenue, and profits.

I'm loving the hustle and just taking action and seeing where it takes me.

Part of the fun/challenge is having three small sons (2, 4, and 6), and a 6'3" 17yo stepson.

I don't believe I need to work more hours, just to be a bit smarter.

and I don't want to spend less time with my boys now so I can spend more time with them later.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Duplicate post...

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I am currently working as an Electrical Engineer for a design firm. For anyone with an INSIDERS Subscription, I have my progress thread in there for my side fastlane venture that we definitely hope to go at full time one day. It's been quite an interesting ride and has taken us all over.

It is crazy how much you have to learn to be successful in your own venture. You see how much you need to know when you are relying on yourself to make it, which is what I love about my own thing now.

MP_fLEX

Possessed By Fire
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 9, 2014
Austin, TX
I am currently working as an unarmed security guard.
I don't have a boss hovering over me since it's such a small company and they pay above average. I'm really grateful for this position as I have unrestricted access to a computer so I spend a lot of time checking up on my ventures and researching in between patrols... And of course I'll bring a book or two.
I just soak up whatever info I can find and then apply it when I get home.

My post is at a customer retention call center with 98% sidewalkers, they must think I'm crazy cause I keep to myself and always in lala land with my face planted in reading material.

This coming January I'll have to migrate to a new post/environment though, might not be as lax but it's because I've changed my college major to 'international business'.
Hopefully it'll teach me a thing or two...

GratefulScorpio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Dec 12, 2014
I currently finished school, bachelor degree in chemical engineering.

Now I am looking for a job, for example at shell! (process engineer),
but in 5 years, i definitely will not be trading hours for money!

Money will be working for me, for sure! It already is, but at a small scale, it needs to grow up :)

I am currently working on my blog (motivation for entrepreneurs) and looking for ways to monetize the site!

I am just going through a stage where everybody success person was once at...i'm in that learning curve..and i'm making it as short as possible!

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Policing, bouncer and free lance graphic designer.

In 5 years time, I'd like to make it as a detective. Business wise, I'd like to have a business that makes me at least $3,000 per week and I'd be a happy man. Just started my venture, and it's quite exciting.

** I've also just recently moved out of home, hence why I still do security. My 2 shifts in security a week covers my rent and food expenses. Can't wait to drop it though!

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I work in my dad's small performance marketing agency and handle most of sales there. We have a few hundred clients and do mainly Adwords, some Facebook ads and some CRO. Its great because I get paid to learn more about advertising every day, can experiment with other peoples money, work on my own business at all times during the day when my job work is done and of course work with my dad who is a successful serial entrepreneur, but my business is slowly reaching a point where I can scale and pay myself so I'll probably quit the job sometime in the first half of 2015 (after I cleared my debt and have some reserves built up), but will still work out of the office and assist where they need me on a less regular basis.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
wowwow! so Many cool stories and I find it very inspirational!

What I take from this post (do not take offense here) is that a lot of us posts here, and I believe even more watch this thread and really enjoy talking about themselves.

I'm not saying its ego (ok a little) but it's easy to talk about something we know. For a fastlaner this behavior can be observed everywhere. I think @JackEdwards talked about this in his long progress post. And I have seen it in many places: Ask and you shall know!

Meaning that if we just ask, and listen and show our interest in others, then suddenly that opportunity or idea you've been looking for so long will show itself. That shy little idea is always looking around the corner waiting for you to look its way and smile. And trust me: It will smile back.

----

Regarding myself (you didn't think I would end without bloating my own ego did you?), I work in a huge corporation with finance, mergers, acquisitions and accounting that goes along with it.

My main income is from my job. My second income is off of stock yield and dividends. For the last 5 years my "stock-income" has been increasing each year, which is nice.

My current "mission" is to increase my passive income through online marketing, you don't want to hear the whole story. But I recently coded two websites and going for my third at the moment. This will run amazon affiliates to involve myself into more copywriting. Through this I can learn to produce content, ebooks, sales pages, infoproducts etc.

I also sell ebooks on Amazon. Nothing to brag about though.

---

Thank you all for sharing! very nice read!

regalforte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 5, 2014
What do you teach ...i used to teach French.

Really? That sounds cool. I tried learning French in high school but gave up and switched to Spanish. I'm a music teacher.

It seems like a lot of you are in the IT field and are interested in copywriting. Very neat.

JPHerrmann

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 20, 2014
I work for a trucking company and rent out an apartment. Although working in trucking is as slowlane as you can get it has given me experience in an industry that I plan to build a niche business around. Don't be ashamed of working in the slowlane but instead take advantage of learning as much about the industry you are in so you can build a business that can improve it.

Hey BigEasy25. I just wanted to suggest, Take your experience in the trucking industry, and go to Texas Shale Oil country. Theres plenty of work to go around and would be a great place to start a rig transport/drilling supplies company. Hell, even a roadside service company would keep you busy 24 hours a day. Lots of money out there.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
something like this

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I am 22, and right now I work for a State Farm agent as a customer service rep / office monkey. I've been working for him for about 9 months and have learned a lot about the industry, and have kept an open mind to finding any pains that can be solved. It's not a well paying job, so I decided to start an eBay store in May as a second source of income. (Thanks Ecom Man!)

Also, since I racked up quite a bit of credit card debt in the last two years, I decided to pick up a second job working for a paint company since the State Farm agent refuses to give me more hours and most of my profits from eBay usually go back into ordering more product. For now, I'm hustling and juggling two jobs while slowly growing my eBay site until I completely kill off my credit card debt. I have a business/product in mind that I want to start pursuing in the next few months, but one of the goals I set to accomplish beforehand is to be free of this debt.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm 24 years old and a full time college student. Earlier this year I got out of the Marine Corps, so they pay for around 95% of school. I also get $1000 a year for books and a monthly stipend to pay for housing, food, bills, etc. That on top of my disability from service connected injuries is enough to live off of. On top of that I'm publishing ebooks on Amazon that bring in a nice added bonus every month.

I'm in the process of transitioning into selling shovels now. Writing an ebook now on publishing, which I can translate into a MOOC. I decided to do this because I've read countless books/taken many courses and aren't learning anything new anymore. Learned it, did it, time to teach it to others.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.