The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forbes article on MLM

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
I came across this article http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertl...evel-marketing-company-for-retirement-income/ and it struck me. Having just read MFL, I saw that the Forbes writer seemingly unintentionally verified what MJ DeMarco wrote about multi level marketing. OK, the writer says "this is a good thing" but he puts it into a "slow lane" context without saying it so bluntly. Allow me to re phrase it for him. He says MLM is a great thing for retirees. Folks who worked hard, saved slowly and steadily, and still don't have the pot of gold they were lead to believe they would have late in life. Since your too old and tired to start a new business or to drag your tired bones in to Wal Mart each and every day to greet people at the door, you can do multi level marketing. It will make a few bucks to do what you want with, since the nest egg only covers the bare minimum if that, and your doing something with your time. Doesn't that sound like a ringing endorsement? Sounds better when he says it, but I think I've captured the Gestalt for you.

I know a few people who do or have done well with MLM. For the right person it can fit their lives and meet their goals. I've also known a couple of people who were making good money until the company they were with folded up. I know a woman who teaches Yoga who does well with (I forget the name) health drinks. It's a great adjunct to her teaching. I also know lots of people do BeachBody coaching and do well with it. I see BeachBody as a little different because coaching keeps your mind and therefor butt in the program. BeachBody coaching is set up on an MLM template. Some people make great full time livings doing it. The vast majority use it to keep themselves working out and the down stream pays for their Shake-Ology and any new programs they want to do. They monetize their fitness, and that is powerful. What it is not is a fastlane to wealth.

I have been thinking about MLM as a way of selling a brand I am working on. There is a lot to recommend MLM by as a means of commerce. Again, it was timely that I ream what I read as I was thinking "Start an MLM". As I research it more, I don't think it is what I want to do. For one, the rate that MLMs fold up nearly rivals restaurants, and restaurants are a great place to lose money. If I start one, and it folds up in three years, the brand gets dragged down and would never have any reputation other than being the failed company. I think I have ironed out a better path for me, and I'll get into that in it's own thread as it becomes real. "I'm gonna...." is one of those lines too often posted on success forums. If you take "I'm gonna..." and put a dollar on top of it. It's still only worth half a cup of coffee. Once it grows into a real live verb, an action, then I'll shine some light on it.

I don't mean to pee in anybody's cheerios, but to see this article within days of reading MFL's take on the same subject, and to hear the same things said in different ways with different spin (one being, "this is great!" the other being "This is the slow lane") was striking and I think worth posting here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.