The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally

Glantern13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 16, 2014
Hello all,

I am so excited to have found The Millionaire Fastlane . What an amazing book. I have about a hundred pages left to go. I wish I would have had this book 20 years ago. Like MJ, I have always wanted a Lambo. Unlike MJ, I kind of bought into the slowlane philosophy, but I've been on the sidewalk. However, I have always known there was something wrong with the slowlane philosophy. Unfortunately for me, I am in my early 40's and just finding this out. I am currently working in an industry making around $10,000 a month after taxes. However, I work six days a week and I don't get to live in the same state as my daughter. In other words, I am not wealthy, I am poor, because I don't have the freedom to live where I want. And I just lost my job to boot and I have to find another project to get on. I just started in this industry but I knew I didn't want to do it for more than a couple of years and I still felt poor even though I can probably save $50,000 a year. It would still take me probably 15 years to save over a million if I invest right, unless my wife can get on doing what I do and then maybe it would take us five years. But I had already figured out a couple of years ago that I would need at least $5 million to retire, just like MJ said in his book.

Anyway, I have no one to blame but myself. Like most of the sheeple out there, my "education" stopped after I graduated from college. What an idiot I have been. I spent my valuable time playing Counter-Strike and World of Tanks and WOW and whatever else I could find to make me feel better. Instead I should have been hitting the library and learning skills. What a mind opener this book is.

I also of course bought into the whole idea that being a business owner meant success. But in the back of my mind I knew that was not true. Who buys a 7-11 franchise and makes it big? No one.

I have some business ideas. I need to learn how to build a website to be honest. I am going to start using my time a lot more wisely going forward. I will be hitting the books and learning. My education is about to begin. Thanks so much for the insights MJ, and I hope to learn a lot more here as well.

Glantern13

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ThePsychologist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 15, 2014
Hello Glantern13 !

First of all let me tell you, 10.000,00 $ a month is not bad, especially if you know how to save money. If you are saving 50.000,00 $ a year, then all doors are open for you. Starting a business for you will be much easier than for somebody who has to start from scratch, with 0,00 $ on their bank account. If you are in your ealry 40s that is still a pretty young age and you have enough time to do the things you want to do, like becoming an entrepreneur in the fastlane. But at the end of the day, the age doesnt really matter. What matters is your mindset and your passion. If you have that, than you dont need to worry about nothing else.
Keep learning, step by step, learn about internet marketing and how to make a business plan. Find out where you are good at and what your strenghts and weaknesses are. Get creative and have fun doing it. A hard and beautiful journey awaits.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Welcome man. It's never too late to start. I'm happy you found the real way to freedom.
Of course it wouldn't be possible without @MJ DeMarco he's truly created something immaculate. I'm hoping for your success!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLYmk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 8, 2014
First, welcome to TFLF. You and I became an 'INSIDERS' the same day evidently. If I may offer a piece of advice...don't go spending your time learning how to build a website. Honestly, that's not your expertise or even a hobby at this stage, and it's only going to be a hurdle for a while, especially if you don't use a service like WIX, and please don't!

...I could save you weeks, hours of frustrations, and a lot of lost hair ;)

Glantern13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 16, 2014
Thanks FLYmk. So I saw the section in the forums where it is debated about whether or not one should learn to code a website or not. The thing is, if I don't learn how to do it, don't I violate the law of control?

As to saving me weeks of frustration, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks!

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Thanks FLYmk. So I saw the section in the forums where it is debated about whether or not one should learn to code a website or not. The thing is, if I don't learn how to do it, don't I violate the law of control?

Thanks!
You're definitely right, you do lose a bit of control, but web developers are everywhere and easy to replace, so you don't lose much control. I personally learned to make my own simple websites using wordpress (wordpress.org), but I picked it up pretty easily as I've been using technology my whole life and I couldn't afford a developer at the time. If I wasn't so good with technology and had the money I would definitely consider hiring someone especially if the site is very complex.

FLYmk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 8, 2014

Thanks!

My pleasure. As @Oven pointed out, you do lose a bit of control but developers are around every corner these days. Wordpress is a great starting point; little coding knowledge needed (you may not need to know any depending on what you want from the website and how you go about building) and it's super extendable.

By developing yourself, there may be problems, bugs, and code issues that you simply don't know how to solve yet spend days or weeks trying to perfect...and personally I would hope you value your time. You don't have to be a developer (I'm not one) to put together some great websites - I've done it MANY times, and continue doing so but it does take patience.

Quick tip: Start with content. Write out all the content before you touch a inch of code.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome and thanks for posting the intro. 40 is not old, it's the first day of the rest of your life. Hope to see you around.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome. :)

You might want to read this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glantern13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 16, 2014
My pleasure. As @Oven pointed out, you do lose a bit of control but developers are around every corner these days. Wordpress is a great starting point; little coding knowledge needed (you may not need to know any depending on what you want from the website and how you go about building) and it's super extendable.

By developing yourself, there may be problems, bugs, and code issues that you simply don't know how to solve yet spend days or weeks trying to perfect...and personally I would hope you value your time. You don't have to be a developer (I'm not one) to put together some great websites - I've done it MANY times, and continue doing so but it does take patience.

Quick tip: Start with content. Write out all the content before you touch a inch of code.

The website I want to build is pretty complicated. It would involve a database that would need to be updated regularly with new information. However, I have some other ideas that I want to work on first. It's crazy how this book and MJ has opened my eyes to the world. The section on being a producer instead of a consumer has really hit home. The first things I have decided I want to work on are "inventions". I did a YouTube search last night for self made millionaires and an eight year old was one of them! She came up with a better way to microwave bacon. Anyway, I think I have an idea that is along the same lines (something not complicated but not being done yet).

So now I have to see if there is a section on this forum that will help me get an idea to market or at the least to a business.

Anyway, since reading this book I have about nine fastlane business ideas that I want to implement that all meet the five commandments. The first two are inventions and I will work on those first I think.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The website I want to build is pretty complicated.

Complicated is a red flag alright.

Also, you never really want to build "a website". The website is just a way "how" to get to an end result, not the end result. :)

I have an idea that is along the same lines (something not complicated but not being done yet)

Sounds much better.

As soon as you can, confirm you found a need that someone will pay you to solve ... i.e. get a paying customer.

Launch and learn maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Welcome to the Forum.

I recommend Steven Keys "One Simple Idea". Great book for 'inventors' and licensing.

Glantern13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 16, 2014

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content