The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Facebook Rules Will Sting Entrepreneurs

Marketing, social media, advertising

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/11/18/quit-facebook-marketing/

For my own business FB ads far out perform Google ads in terms of sales generated and sign ups. FB is still an awesome tool and yes, you are going to have to pay to play.

Using the custom audiences to re-market to my site visitors and email lists plus using landing pages to drive people who like my pages to harvest their email addresses has been super successful and much cheaper than Google ads.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Nah, Facebook won't hurt the entrepreneur.

It will hurt people that are scared to take risks.
People that are afraid to pay to acquire a customer.
People that are afraid to spend $100 to see if people want what they sell.
People that rely on free traffic, viral marketing, word of mouth.
People that want to spend $0.
These people aren't entrepreneurs.

This will help the entrepreneur.
People that are willing to spend $500 to test their product.
People that are willing to lose money to sell their product to grow their business.
People that adapt to changes like this instead of complain and move on to the next hot thing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I was thinking the same tbh, this will help entrepreneurs or atleast the ones willing to pay to promote. And it will cut down on some of the spam

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

It will hurt people that are scared to take risks.
People that are afraid to pay to acquire a customer.
People that are afraid to spend $100 to see if people want what they sell.
People that rely on free traffic, viral marketing, word of mouth.
People that want to spend $0.
These people aren't entrepreneurs.

This will help the entrepreneur.
People that are willing to spend $500 to test their product.
People that are willing to lose money to sell their product to grow their business.
People that adapt to changes like this instead of complain and move on to the next hot thing.
^The legend has spoken. I could have said it a lot better myself, but this summary will suffice.

:D

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Wah wah wah.

Pay for ads. Never rely on free traffic sources. It's not fair to the platform, the consumer or your business to delude yourself in thinking you can get free exposure and traffic.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014

[...]
True. Agreed 100% percent.

Also: as a user I welcome it, because feeds are being swarmed by ridiculous commercial posts (like those the article talks about).

If your brand publishes stuff that gives value, people will share it and talk about it. Funneling that attention into new customers is your F*cking job. That's what having a Facebook page is about.
If you want people just linked to your product's landing page, pay for it, as you're using a service Facebook provides.

Those are two different things. One is to get traffic to a landing page. The other is to build audience and has nothing to do with unpaid ads annoying the shit out of the whole world.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I like the direction facebook is going with those changes. Weeds out the cheapos and thus improves the news feed quality, which in turn keeps the users there, which guarantees my ROI.

That article is pretty cringeworthy too.

"Christine Lynch says she has spent $6,000 so far this year to boost Facebook posts about Women Owned Business Club, her Long Island, N.Y., service, which charges a membership fee and uses social media to promote the businesses of its 450 members."

What a useless business model... Promoting a business to feminist fans of your fb page just because its women owned and then complaining about your shit not working out? Lol.

Last edited:

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
What a useless business model... Promoting a business to feminist fans of your fb page just because its women owned and then complaining about your shit not working out? Lol.

Where is the dislike button?

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Judging from their website, the real business model is to separate women from their money with the membership fee, playing on the whole gogrrlz attitude.
Of course you can't say it, because if you do, you're a misogynist. Gotta love the interwebz.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This was already the case. Sometime last year they switched from something like 50-60% visibility to 1% (something like that, I forget the real numbers but it was SIGNIFICANT).

Anyone doing anything on Facebook is probably already used to paying for visibility. I don't even use it all that much (I should though) and I already expect to pay $30-40 to get anything visible to my fans.

chipmx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 16, 2014
Cancun
this its way you should a business that its CENTS compatible... you need to have the CONTROL over your business

Last edited by a moderator:

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Just used Facebook ads for the first time last week. Love how targeted you can get it. However I had to verify my identity by sending in a photo of my government ID. That was odd.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Just used Facebook ads for the first time last week. Love how targeted you can get it. However I had to verify my identity by sending in a photo of my government ID. That was odd.

That might be new. I've heard there is a new guy in charge of the advertising department. Lots of changes coming.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
I see it as fraud.

If people paid via ads to obtain/build 1,000 likes or 100,000 likes; they should be able to reach ALL of them, or at minimum 50%.

To change the terms now at this point in the game is a total deception. No one was given notice it would be reduced in the future.

It's a smart move though.

Con businesses into thinking they'll reach people if they build their likes up running ads.

Flip the table and tell them everything they spent money on is now worthless.

If you want to reach the audience you already paid for, well, pay us again.

Every single time, over and over.

I'm surprised this isn't the milestone where FB gets sued and suffers a massive loss.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Facebook is a business. They exist to make money.

Facebook is asking the people most able to pay (businesses) to pay to reach their business goals just like ANY OTHER SERVICE.

If you want to look at it another way, there is nothing stopping your 100,000 fans from clicking on your business page and seeing 100% of what you post.

Facebook is merely saying "If you want us to take your posts from your page and put it in front of your potential customers in any meaningful way, you need to pay". One could even argue that the 1% that gets through is nothing more than a veiled "free trial" of the full service they offer.

Do I wish, as a business, that I could make money for free by just sending out messages to my fans? Yeah, that would kick a$$. I'd like a unicorn at the same time while we're at it.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Some businesses spend money to acquire new customers and then spend even more money targeting their existing customers.

I'll take a unicorn as well.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I think it is a brilliant move on Facebook's part. They are going to make a killing on this ... and as they should.

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people bitching about having to pay for something of value.

Just because you get something for free for a good long while ... does not mean it's a birthright.

I'll gladly pay to play ... or just get more creative in my marketing.

Either way ... it's all good.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Facebook's #1 stakeholder is their shareholders, not their customers. One of the biggest advantages of being an entrepreneur is this relationship. Any entrepreneur who puts customers FIRST ultimately will gain marketshare as the aforementioned relationship is deleterious to user growth and user satisfaction.

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people bitching about having to pay for something of value.

While it stings, people with real products and real business models shouldn't be impacted too much.

It's no different than those people who whine after Google changes their algorithm and their sales suddenly plummet from $1000/day to $10/day. If you're margins are so paper-thin that you can only survive with a ZERO advertising budget, you probably have a product problem.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I see it as fraud.

If people paid via ads to obtain/build 1,000 likes or 100,000 likes; they should be able to reach ALL of them, or at minimum 50%.

To change the terms now at this point in the game is a total deception. No one was given notice it would be reduced in the future.

They paid for what they got, Facebook likes and opt-ins. I see what you're saying, but when you want free distribution, you need to understand the rules change.

You can target ads to people who have "Liked" your page, which will be a very different ad to those who HAVEN'T liked your page for a variety of reasons. There is still a very high value on likes if you run Facebook ad campaigns.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I hope 'entrepreneurs' quit Facebook because of this and it makes less competition for me.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
This shouldn't shock anyone.

Facebook has become the premium traffic source for many advertisers.

BREAKING NEWS: Facebook Traffic converts really well.

For real, I believe FB traffic will become some of the most expensive - as long as it still converts well.

Will it Facebook last forever? Likely not.

This only hurts Entrepreneurs with a broken business model. Nothing is "free" in business, including traffic, be it SEO or anything else.

If you rely on free traffic, you won't last.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
I'm starting out with Facebook ads for my new eCommerce site. I was originally planning on paying for likes to build a list of relevant fans on FB, but with these new rules I guess it is better to direct traffic directly to my website, and possibly capture them by a newsletter popup offering value? What do you guys think?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm starting out with Facebook ads for my new eCommerce site. I was originally planning on paying for likes to build a list of relevant fans on FB, but with these new rules I guess it is better to direct traffic directly to my website, and possibly capture them by a newsletter popup offering value? What do you guys think?
Yup, thats a bad idea. Send traffic directly to a landing page with a lead magnet or tripwire.

BigDreamer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 18, 2014
United States

OK yeah, now that does seem quite odd. Used FB ads for the first time also a few months ago, but sending a photo wasn't requested. Perhaps it's something new.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.