The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using Kickstarter?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Amber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 17, 2014
I have an idea that I think is awesome, but I researched, called some people, found out I need a lawyer, patent, etc., and at the very least and to just get started I will need over $20K. I found a site called kickstarter, but when I signed up part of the terms stated that there is no protection for the privacy of my invention once it is posted. My question is...can I provide myself protection other than a patent before putting my idea out for everyone to see, or copy before I ever even get it off the ground? Also, has anyone had experience using the site and what are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fxwizard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know how you can prevent anyone from stealing your idea without a patent, but if you want financial support you will need to at least give investors an idea of what the result will be. You could omit the processes used to achieve the end result, and make it more difficult for them to replicate.
I attempted using Kickstarter, but I hit a wall with them as they refused to post my idea due to the wording. The only accept projects with a goal to produce something, such as a film or book, or develop a product. My goal was to raise funds to support a business idea that I'd already developed, but needed additional equipment to take to the next level. I think it could work well as long as you can get people interested in your idea.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
You can file a provisional patent for under $100 which will let you get started. However, someone stealing your idea is almost never the problem. The real problem is almost always lack of execution. Almost everyone here will steer you towards product validation, which is basically making sure there are actually people wanting to buy what you have to sell. There are also a number of people here who've run kickstarters. You should be able to search for those threads fairly easily.

Amber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks so much for the replies. I will definitely look into the provisional patent, but I am also worried about putting my invention on the internet and on kickstarter because it seems like most people put the entire blueprint on their page. Also, if there is already a patent for your idea, since, lets say 1952, and nothing was ever created since then, would a provisional patent be possible? I did a patent search and found similarities to my idea, but have found nothing exactly like it.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
74,549 Kickstarter projects have been successfully backed. I'd say a significant portion didn't have airtight IP protection.

You could either maintain the CIA-level of secrecy around your product and allow it to never go anywhere due to lack of funding. Or... you could launch a Kickstarter campaign, take on the infinitely minute chance that someone will steal your idea, and get the dough to make it a reality.

You gonna join those 74,549 people? Or are you going to let irrational fear stomp your idea before it gets anywhere?

I have an idea that I think is awesome,

Make sure it is an idea that other people think is awesome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Amber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 17, 2014
So off topic, why is everyone from Australia and speed in kilometers, I have no idea how fast I'm going! :s

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So off topic, why is everyone from Australia and speed in kilometers, I have no idea how fast I'm going! :s

l_5261_f7c5398f20d86fd0ccf06bc70ef88c55

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My guess is that at $20k initial investment, you won't have many people jumping to steal your idea.

I've seen a lot of great ideas come and go. Most of them would have been a breeze to steal and start executing on. The problem is, I wasn't interested in doing the work required to go after that idea. Other people aren't interested either. Most of us are wrapped up in our own projects, and the rest (those who might actually steal) either don't have what it takes to execute (on the lesser end of the scale) or are too busy with other projects to notice yours (talking about investors).

If what you have is really that good, then by the time others catch on, you'll already have momentum (and maybe even branding) if you're actually taking steps toward your goal. Crowd funding can even give you extra momentum since it gets your name out there.

Last edited:

Amber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 17, 2014
My guess is that at $20k initial investment, you won't have many people jumping to steal your idea.
$20k investment has nothing to do with the invention, only for patents and what not. The lawyer I talked to had no interest in my invention, he didnt even know what it was, he only told me to do a patent search first. Then get back to him.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
"Patents and whatnot" don't have to cost 20k , I'm going to make an assumption here and say since you would need to crowd fund 20k that you would qualify for micro entity status. First bit of advice I can offer is to learn to stop looking at barriers as barriers and start finding ways around the hurdles. Barriers are excuses to not execute for people that aren't driven enough to find another way.

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
Barriers are excuses to not execute for people that aren't driven enough to find another way.
This.

Love that too.
And even better is the fact, that if YOU find a way around the hurdles, those very hurdles will SERVE you (as a way of stopping potential competitors for entering the market).

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
You can file a provisional patent for under $100 which will let you get started. However, someone stealing your idea is almost never the problem. The real problem is almost always lack of execution.

This this this! Don't worry about someone stealing your idea, the problem is making sure it actually solves the customer's problem, then execution. Do a few sales in real life of the thing, then later say "hey, I'm actually handling it all through a Kickstarter now", refund their money, and ask them to resubmit through the Kickstarter because it gives you and them added legal protection. The point is, you need to know who the customer is, and get them to physically hand you money before you know if your product solves their problem.

I've fallen into the trap of thinking I had a good idea, people agreeing with me, building the product, then the people who said it was a good idea didn't want to buy it because "it was a good idea, but just not for them." I only later found out it wasn't a good idea for anybody, it was just an idea that sounded good to people.

Know your customer, ask them for real sales.
THEN get legal protection, do a kickstarter, whatever. But your first step is to talk talk talk to potential customers.

Also, with my experience, Kickstarter really likes to see a prototype first. It can be a very dirty prototype, but proof-of-concept helps a lot.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain