The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any REAL advice for staying productive throughout the day?

Anything related to matters of the mind

DevIncredible

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Nov 25, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
I'm out of school until Tuesday. I sit in my uncomfortable office chair for 8 hours or more a day making lists, researching, listening to podcasts, reading blogs, lurking in forums, reddit... I find myself not being productive as I wish I am. To anyone who was in the same position as I am and found a good method, what was it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser112

Check out 'Eat That Frog!' by Brian Tracy. It's a book about making the most out of each day.

The basic gist of it is:

1. Find out what you want to accomplish
2. Find out which tasks will get you there

And then this is key, the 'eating of the frog'..

3. Find out which task is the most difficult (the one you keep procrastinating)
4. First thing in the morning of a brand new day (wake up early if you have to), do the most difficult thing on your list. Either complete it or do the best work you can.

There are two major benefits:

A) If the first thing you do in the morning is 'eat a frog' (ie. unpleasant or difficult task), the rest of the tasks you do in the day will seem easy in comparison and you will continue to have a 'more-productive-than-usual' day.
B) You get the biggest tasks out of the way first so even if you spend the rest of the day with your thumb up your a$$, you will still have a productive day!

DevIncredible

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Nov 25, 2014
Check out 'Eat That Frog!' by Brian Tracy. It's a book about making the most out of each day.

The basic gist of it is:

1. Find out what you want to accomplish
2. Find out which tasks will get you there

And then this is key, the 'eating of the frog'..

3. Find out which task is the most difficult (the one you keep procrastinating)
4. First thing in the morning of a brand new day (wake up early if you have to), do the most difficult thing on your list. Either complete it or do the best work you can.

There are two major benefits:

A) If the first thing you do in the morning is 'eat a frog' (ie. unpleasant or difficult task), the rest of the tasks you do in the day will seem easy in comparison and you will continue to have a 'more-productive-than-usual' day.
B) You get the biggest tasks out of the way first so even if you spend the rest of the day with your thumb up your a$$, you will still have a productive day!
Thanks.

G

GuestUser112

Also, if you find yourself sinking into unproductive habits, and can't find a way to break the cycle, take a point from 50 Cent's book "The 50th Law" and

Break free of your comfort zone

If you do something completely unlike you, something that you aren't comfortable with, or even afraid of, you activate parts of your brain that make you more willing to do anything you feel you should do, even if it's uncomfortable. For example, instead of going straight home after class and doing whatever is part of your routine, go to a forest and practice climbing trees or something. The weirder it is to you, the better.

Afterwards, you just won't feel quite as content as before if you sit down and start playing 'Flappybird'.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
well what has Mj's book taught you?

(not saying you do this)(who knows maybe)

Stop trying to consume so much information and constantly thinking you need to read or listen to more books and instead finally do something
provide something of value that is good enough where people will hand you their money

DevIncredible

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Nov 25, 2014
well what has Mj's book taught you?

(not saying you do this)(who knows maybe)

Stop trying to consume so much information and constantly thinking you need to read or listen to more books and instead finally do something
provide something of value that is good enough where people will hand you their money
I don't see a "Read The Millionaire Fastlane " under my username, do you? :)

P.S. Probably getting it tomorrow. I am sidewalk level dirt poor at the moment.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I've worked from home for the last 6 years and have struggled with motivation/work ethic at various points.

My tips would be:

1. Decide what you want to accomplish and write a to-do list the night before
2. Get a morning routine in place wake/gym/breakfast/shower then work - don't get up and start checking emails straight away
3. Take a lunch hour at a pre-determined time - leave the room you are working in or go for a walk
4. If there is a task you are putting off set a timer for 10 minutes and commit to work that task for 10 minutes, when the timer goes off you don't have to continue the task (usually getting started on tasks is the hardest part. When the timer goes off you realise the task isn't that bad and continue with it anyway)
5. Reward yourself for the work you do, not the hours worked. If you get your day's task done feel free to go out or watch a movie, you don't have to sit a computer for 8 hours a day continuously.
6. If you want to check facebook/twitter/forums then allocate a time, set a timer for 15mins and don't exceed that time. It's so easy to lose the day to f5ing crap.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
There is one thing. Choose what work needs to be done and put that first. Until you consciously tell yourself "this is the choice and this is what i'm gonna do right now" things won't change. Just let that thing be the default thing. Wake up, go to it. Eat, go back to it. After coming back from a party, go back to it. In 3 days it gets much easier. Keep going with it, feed off the flow you create.

G

Grimaldo

GOLDEN RULE: NEVER START A DAY UNTIL IS FINISHED ON PAPER

Simple & easy to do.

Wake up (or do it the night before) and write what you have to do this day. Then you will flow to do the tasks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.