The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make Six Figures From YouTube/eBooks

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Back with an on topic response.

Now, an earlier poster claimed it was hard converting youtube viewers to paying customers. Granted, most people are on youtube for entertainment purposes, but I am wondering is the Niche has much impact on the difficulty of converting customers.

If you're producing videos in a niche with low product cost, and few products involved, then there isn't much to sell these customers.

If you're producing videos in a niche with hundreds of products used in the niche, maybe it is easier to build a brand and customer base outside of youtube?

Don't know if this made any sense, I can't think of specific niches to refer to as examples at the moment. Maybe wildlife videos vs. automotive videos. Wildlife videos may be entertaining but how many things can you possible sell to customers? So if you have X subscribers, your subscriber value is low. In the automobile niche if you produce entertaining videos their are millions of possible products to be sold.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Back with an on topic response.

Now, an earlier poster claimed it was hard converting youtube viewers to paying customers. Granted, most people are on youtube for entertainment purposes, but I am wondering is the Niche has much impact on the difficulty of converting customers.

If you're producing videos in a niche with low product cost, and few products involved, then there isn't much to sell these customers.

If you're producing videos in a niche with hundreds of products used in the niche, maybe it is easier to build a brand and customer base outside of youtube?

Don't know if this made any sense, I can't think of specific niches to refer to as examples at the moment. Maybe wildlife videos vs. automotive videos. Wildlife videos may be entertaining but how many things can you possible sell to customers? So if you have X subscribers, your subscriber value is low. In the automobile niche if you produce entertaining videos their are millions of possible products to be sold.

Good shout.

In the example i gave, my niche has a tonne of things to sell people - we have products from $5 up to $147. The problem is that I think people on Youtube are already in the mindset that's it's free - making that leap from consuming free to having to pay for something is a tough one.

Example - we get loads of great feedback and comments on nearly every video we put out. However when we upload a trailer for a paid product (and actually we are just using Youtube to host the video, we're not actually advertising to the subscribers) we get nearly all negative comments. The most recent ones are a 'how dare we try to sell stuff to them'. This is with over 700+ free videos (maybe 16 videos advertising stuff)!

Now... did i train this attitude by just posting free content? Perhaps.

So now it's all about capturing email addresses - which we have successfully started to do with the use of annotations and offering free products (oops i've done it again!) - which as you might have guessed , are not actually converting well on normal type offers.

It's going to be a tough one I believe to make this audience spend any money.

However - what those videos have done is allow me to build 10+ blogs full of incredible content that I own. Those videos are surrounded by SEO tuned content and i advertise my products on those pages also, plus mechanics to collect email addresses. Those pages pull in several thousand visitors a day from social, direct and the SERPS. That traffic makes money... If the videos did not exist, those blogs would not either and so no dough!

So i believe that the actual YT audience is more about brand building and accepting the crumbs from paid ads from Google to allow us to use their tools. In effect Google is paying us change to provide content to make their platform what it is. I think that i may just have to accept that a very % of the viewers on Youtube will ever spend a penny on my products because they are already in the 'free' mindset... But those who find my video content on my blogs are way more likely to spend.

So why is that - the videos are exactly the same... just the way the platform they found it on is different.

I'd love to hear about people who are making $$ from Youtube that is NOT from ads or product placements. I bet it's a tiny % who can actually convert viewers to a sale.

What do you all think?

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
When I started this thread around 11 days ago, I was averaging between 75k-79k views per month. In 11 days I have increased that statistic to average at around 90,000 views per month. I am going to get it to at LEAST 100k by the end of this month (November). Once that is reached I will set a goal for December. I have increased the growth rate of both views and subscribers. I was averaging around 9 subscribers per day before this thread, Now it's typically around 16-22 subscribers per day.

It's a good foundation, but it's not going to put me in the seat of a Lambo. I have lots of plans and ideas to get this channel to grow much faster. I need it to grow rapidly.

Unrelated: I have also just finished a fictional eBook this week, it will be published today or tomorrow to generate some side income.

My mindset: I'm thinking of this last part of November and all of December as a time of preparation for WAR. I am young, I have not made lots of money in my life. However, 2015 is the year I will make six figures. What am I doing to prepare for January 1st 2015 (the start of my war). Obviously I'm working on YouTube, getting the foundation stronger. I'm constantly learning. I'm learning lots of real estate stuff as I have my real estate licesnse and am going to take some classes in December. I am also going to release more eBooks to generate passive income on the side. It feels good when I log into amazon and see I sold a book today doing absolutely nothing. I'm going to build up my eBook published library. I'm interested to see how my fiction book does on the marketplace, because I've only released a couple guides in the eBook world.

This is my outlet, this is where I can express myself, get criticism, and realize it's possible. 2015 is my year. November and December are my months this year. I am preparing for a F***ING WAR.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I'm in contact with a couple YouTube channels that are interested in doing some videos with me. They all have 20k plus subscribers and one averages 800,000 views per month with 55,000 subscribers

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm in contact with a couple YouTube channels that are interested in doing some videos with me. They all have 20k plus subscribers and one averages 800,000 views per month with 55,000 subscribers

sounds cool!

I noticed some youtube channels working together by making one big youtube channel with all their videos in it, to increase the publicity of all their channels... maybe that could help?

edit: are you constantly monitoring this thread? you 'liked' this thread within 30 seconds of me posting LOL

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Collaboration is one of the best ways to gain new fans. People do it all the time in the selfpublishing world. Everyone gives up a story, and they charge $.99 for it. All proceeds go charity or server costs or something so the only real benefit is everyone gets exposure to everyone else's fans.

Good luck in your journey, imagine getting paid 6 figures to play video games.

edit: are you constantly monitoring this thread? you 'liked' this thread within 30 seconds of me posting LOL

You weren't kidding.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
sounds cool!

I noticed some youtube channels working together by making one big youtube channel with all their videos in it, to increase the publicity of all their channels... maybe that could help?

Yeah I may try that method. I get iphone notifications when someone makes a post on this thread.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Quick stat update. It looks like my 100k views per month goal by end of November 2014 this month will happen. I'm currently averaging around 95k views per month and it's steadily rising. Here's a pic of the total views and subs. (Current date: November 22nd, 2014)

f4Syf9v.png

My views have rose 32% in the last 30 days. Keep in mind this has been going on for less than 15 days. My subscriber growth has increased by 53%. The growth is happening, but it's not fast enough. I will be making these numbers rise faster and faster as each day progresses. I also released an eBook onto Amazon today.

Side note: December I will publish 10 eBooks. 2015 is the year my life will change.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Heck yeah. Are you writing the ebooks yourself?

Yes I currently am. I have a few non fiction books and just published my first fiction today. I am going to write some more eBooks myself and then I will think about outsourcing with some of the profits I have made from the eBooks.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Nice. That's the route I chose. I took the profits I made off of the first few month's sales and reinvested into more books.
Which category of books did you find sold the best?

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Which category of books did you find sold the best?
I made the most with adult short stories, because that's what I did most, but found that nonfiction has a lot more longevity. Fiction would fall off after 3 months after a spike, but my nonfiction would sell (only a few copies a month) consistently.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I made the most with adult short stories, because that's what I did most, but found that nonfiction has a lot more longevity. Fiction would fall off after 3 months after a spike, but my nonfiction would sell (only a few copies a month) consistently.
Yeah I have a few non fiction that consistently sales a few copies a week generally. Just published my nonfiction work, will be interesting to see how it does. Already have a sale and a few borrows on it. I'm working on another, I have 1,100 words done on it. Going to publish two more before the end of this month.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Alright guys it's the end of the month. I hit my goal for the end of this month a couple days ago, and exceeded it. My goal was 100k views by end of this month and I have around 106k views. I have brought my average from 9 subs per day to an average of 20 subs per day. I now have a decent momentum, I will say I have done all this without collaboration. Trying to schedule a collab with a couple YouTubers but it's hard because of time zone differences.

Decembers goals will be posted later on tonight, and I will reach them. I have also started on another platform lots of YouTubers use called Twitch.Tv. It's basically livestreaming gameplay. This is more slowlane, but it will be nice if I can build a following on it and basically "go to work" whenever I want on that. I will mainly be focusing on YouTube, but will direct traffic towards my twitch and stream once a week or so at night. Not a big deal. Since I started it around last week iv'e gained 270 followers on Twitch.

December is going to be extremely important, and I am ready for it. YouTube, Twitch, and some eBooks. I've also got some real estate classes I'm going to this month. I'm going to make Decemeber the most productive month of my life. My productivity in December is what most people get done in a year. Like I said, will post my December goals later tonight.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hit my goal before the end of this month, 100k views in the last 30 days. Proof in picture below, from socialblade.

uD2a4Yo.png

If you don't feel comfortable sharing earnings I'd completely understand.

But I'm curious as to how what kind of cash you're earning per 1k views. Socialblade is cool and all, but I've found that most of their estimated earnings are like "Between $200 and $1000 per month" which I'm sure is correct, but not exactly helpful. It's like me saying the price of a TV is between $200 and $1000- sure it's correct- but with such a broad range the information may as well be useless to me.

So if you don't mind sharing, how much do you earn per 1k views?
Do you find that as you gain more subscribers, that you earn more or less per 1k views?
Of the 100k views earned in the past month, what % is residual (from videos not made in the month of November)?

Congrats on achieving your goal!

100000MIL

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 30, 2014
I've been browsing this forum for a while but it was this thread that finally made me create an account. I'm interested in seeing your progress; your determination and overall mindset is dope. Good luck and congrats on how far you've already come.

How long have you had your YouTube channel?

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
If you don't feel comfortable sharing earnings I'd completely understand.

But I'm curious as to how what kind of cash you're earning per 1k views. Socialblade is cool and all, but I've found that most of their estimated earnings are like "Between $200 and $1000 per month" which I'm sure is correct, but not exactly helpful. It's like me saying the price of a TV is between $200 and $1000- sure it's correct- but with such a broad range the information may as well be useless to me.

So if you don't mind sharing, how much do you earn per 1k views?
Do you find that as you gain more subscribers, that you earn more or less per 1k views?
Of the 100k views earned in the past month, what % is residual (from videos not made in the month of November)?

Congrats on achieving your goal!

Estimate it to be right in between those numbers on average. For examples, if it said a channel estimates between 200-400, they prob make $300 unless they are a bigger channel. The more subs/views, generally the more money you make per 1k views.

Most of my views come across all my videos, I have experimented with quality vs quantity. Quality is the leading factor but I have a bunch of videos I've created like a year ago, they bring in lots of views when games go on sale because people look for videos of the game before buying them these days.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I've been browsing this forum for a while but it was this thread that finally made me create an account. I'm interested in seeing your progress; your determination and overall mindset is dope. Good luck and congrats on how far you've already come.

How long have you had your YouTube channel?

Thanks man I appreciate it. I've had my YouTube channel for like 2-3 years but haven't really focused on growing it until this thread. Now that I'm actually trying to grow it and get financial gains from it, it's going to get interesting.

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Very cool thread! I've been streaming on Twitch since early March and have had a pretty consistent following and I do a lot of highlight reels on my YouTube.
Reading your thread is kind of looking in the mirror, except I'm from Twitch and you're more YouTube based. I too have looked into writing my own eBooks, but have yet to start any, and I was also in the process of getting my Real Estates license but not sure if it aligns with my goals of owning a FastLane business down the line.

If you ever need help with Twitch, let me know! I'd be happy to exchange tips and tricks.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Very cool thread! I've been streaming on Twitch since early March and have had a pretty consistent following and I do a lot of highlight reels on my YouTube.
Reading your thread is kind of looking in the mirror, except I'm from Twitch and you're more YouTube based. I too have looked into writing my own eBooks, but have yet to start any, and I was also in the process of getting my Real Estates license but not sure if it aligns with my goals of owning a FastLane business down the line.

If you ever need help with Twitch, let me know! I'd be happy to exchange tips and tricks.
That's awesome. Are you a partner on Twitch or still building a following to get there?

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I'm still building my following. They require a steady 300-400 viewers per stream for you to become a partner, but I've seen other streamers bypass that requirement. My goal is to become a partner by the middle of next year. As you know, it's all about consistency!

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I'm still building my following. They require a steady 300-400 viewers per stream for you to become a partner, but I've seen other streamers bypass that requirement. My goal is to become a partner by the middle of next year. As you know, it's all about consistency!
How often do you stream? How many followers do you currently have and how many viewers usually watch when you stream?

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I try to stream every weekend, but lately with the release of Smash 4, I've been doing weeklies with my friends or other streamers. I average anywhere between 10-50 viewers with a good chunk of them being loyal viewers (They watch me regardless of what I'm playing). I have a little less than a 100 followers currently. Could have been a lot more but I didn't stream all summer and didn't pick it back up until a few weeks ago.

100000MIL

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 30, 2014
Thanks man I appreciate it. I've had my YouTube channel for like 2-3 years but haven't really focused on growing it until this thread. Now that I'm actually trying to grow it and get financial gains from it, it's going to get interesting.

If you grew that much without really putting in effort, it'll be interesting to see how much progress you make in 2015. I actually started a channel about two years ago but due to not having proper equipment, I never made any more videos. I do have a blog, though, that is growing slowly but steadily but if I dedicate to it (I've gone months without posting; again just a hobby), I know that I can grow it significantly. Now (again) I'm thinking that videos would compliment my website well. I recently started purchasing the equipment I'd need (camera, lighting, editing software) but was going to do it as simply a hobby. Now you got me thinking that there might be some real money in this. My niche is probably considered "over-saturated" on YouTube, but mostly by young girls who really have no idea what they're doing and their quality/equipment is terrible. I know it's something I would excel at, so truly thank you for the inspiring thread.

Last edited:

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Decembers Goals:
Average Daily Sub Growth: 30
Total sub gain at end of month on average of 30 per day: 930 new subs at end of the month

Hitting this goal will take me to the next level, if I can keep increasing my growth at this speed I will good money in the near future, I could possibly convert a lot of these to Twitch followers and get partnered on Twitch to have another revenue stream. I would like to be partnered on Twitch by the end of January at the latest.

Another goal i'm setting for this month on YouTube is total minutes watched from past 30 days on all my videos. It's currently around 450,000 minutes.
30 day goal end of month total minutes watched: 750,000 minutes.

30 days total view goal: 150,000 at least. (I'd like to hit 175k-200k but not sure how growth is going to look just yet.)

The good thing about all this? The bigger you are, the faster you grow. Once 750,000 minutes have been watched this month I should be able to get at least 1,000,000 minutes watched in January. I will at least hit these goals or exceed them. 2015 is my year. I am ready. Let's get it.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
December 1st, 2014 Current Stats. (Posting for proof and so I can look back and see how far I've progressed throughout this thread)

VpUurbr.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.