The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Handle Yourself In A 'Big Fish' Meetup

SuccessAddict

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 24, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm currently in pursuit of my own Fastlane journey (as I'm sure most of you are) and this in itself has led me into making some very drastic changes in my life. For the sake of your time I won't go into that here but if I may, I needed a few clarifications on something.

I'm quite a young buck( 20 years university student) and was recently invited to a high end marketing gala in our region. The 'who's who' in marketing/sales and business are going to be there and I wanted to know the most efficient way of handling myself and networking with them in a non-pressure way that would still allow me to get useful contacts.

I've never been to a gala before (heck I'm going to have to borrow a neighbour's suit for this one) but I'm quite comfortable with approaching people and starting conversations.

But what would be the 'right' questions to ask at that moment?How would I approach a 'guru' and look to build both myself business-wise and gain a useful contact?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I would approach the guru with almost exactly that question. Without the guru title.

"I'm new at this and trying to fit in with so much talent and experience. How does a young buck like myself break the ice with you guy's that are where I want to get to?"

"High, I'm SA, I'm a Marketing student. I'm here to listen, learn and make some better friends. Who are you."

Something like that.

DO NOT try to impress them with all that you might think that you know. You probably don't know much.

SuccessAddict

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 24, 2014
Thanks for the help Jon.A. Be eager to learn and grow and do not try to impress. Note taken :)

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
2 ears, 1 mouth.

I've been struggling with that from time to time, talking to people who are more knowledgeable in an area than I am, I tend to get excited and talk too much. Then I realize that I need to shut the F*ck up and listen.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Absorb. Volunteer. Ask for tips and suggestions for someone trying to learn.

Come up with something that makes you stand out...... your name, an orange tie, something to help them remember you when you call them (from their card / name you got when talking to them!) to offer to buy them lunch so you can listen and learn.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
One of the keys, in my opinion, is to ask them questions that makes them feel valuable. I recently learned that millionaires and "powerful" people in general don't chase money anymore (as we do). For them money is a second nature.
However, they all want to feel valuable, they want to feel that their only worth is NOT money.
If they feel that you're after their money, then they will leave you in your pond. If they feel that you want to learn because you see them as teachers/life-coaches, then they will open their doors.

Addendum: obviously ask questions that are useful. You want to learn.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Disagree with this.

I agree with James Altucher on this specific point.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymu...-cup-of-coffee-heres-what-to-ask-for-instead/
Absolutely love James. Great writer. Brilliant mind.

Thought the OP needed to crawl before he walked and since it is a 'marketing' crowd, they are used to that as the norm.

Personally, I email people I meet in these situations with a solution or connection for a solution to a problem they talked about or that I, as a consultant, have seen in their industry. I then ask them to let me know if it helped and that I 'owe' them a lunch. When they call back, it is usually for something they need and THEY end up buying. Busy people will stick to a phone call only and that 'owed' lunch can go on for years.... giving me a reason to keep contacting them.

SuccessAddict

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 24, 2014
Hey guys,

So I just got back from the event and picked up a few pointers that I thought might help anyone who might want to know how to approach people at such an event(not mentioning the tips that were already provided):

1. Don't over-complicate things. People who are usually at such events know what the main theme is: to socialize. So they're more likely to put their hair down as opposed to a normal business day at the office. They're normal people just like everyone else :)

2. Do your homework beforehand. Knowing the key individuals, the industries they're in etc will help you to structure your approach and make you seem more interesting.

3. Have business cards! This will make you look both professional and well prepared, a pointer that people will take that you're someone who's serious about business. This will make them that more encouraged to work with you/follow up with you later on.

4. Timing is your friend. Monitor the area and try and see when the person you're looking forward to approach is either distracted or bored. Also check for cues around the area that you can use as small talk such as: the live band. If all else fails and you don't seem to be getting a chance,screw it and just walk up to them.

And when you've tried drafting a script but can't come up with anything 'professional' to think of, or don't know much about anyone who's at the event, simply walk up to someone with this golden gem:

" Hi, (reaching out hand for a handshake) my name is ________ and I'm an aspiring (state intended profession that may be of interest to the person). I'm looking to grow and develop myself by networking with other like-minded individuals so would you mind telling me a bit about yourself and what you do?"

Hope this helps :)

SuccessAddict

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 24, 2014
Hey guys,

So I just got back from the event and picked up a few pointers that I thought might help anyone who might want to know how to approach people at such an event(not mentioning the tips that were already provided):

1. Don't over-complicate things. People who are usually at such events know what the main theme is: to socialize. So they're more likely to put their hair down as opposed to a normal business day at the office. They're normal people just like everyone else :)

2. Do your homework beforehand. Knowing the key individuals, the industries they're in etc will help you to structure your approach and make you seem more interesting.

3. Have business cards! This will make you look both professional and well prepared, a pointer that people will take that you're someone who's serious about business. This will make them that more encouraged to work with you/follow up with you later on.

4. Timing is your friend. Monitor the area and try and see when the person you're looking forward to approach is either distracted or bored. Also check for cues around the area that you can use as small talk such as: the live band. If all else fails and you don't seem to be getting a chance,screw it and just walk up to them.

And when you've tried drafting a script but can't come up with anything 'professional' to think of, or don't know much about anyone who's at the event, simply walk up to someone with this golden gem:

" Hi, (reaching out hand for a handshake) my name is ________ and I'm an aspiring (state intended profession that may be of interest to the person). I'm looking to grow and develop myself by networking with other like-minded individuals so would you mind telling me a bit about yourself and what you do?"

Hope this helps :)

G

Grimaldo

As Jon said it is really important that you accept yourself as how you are.

Don not try to fake that you are not young, or that you know a lot about something, otherwise your self-confidence is going to be affected.

I would also not try to please anybody. It is really common that guys try to be liked by those gurus. They don't care, they are tired of those licking guys, and they will like you more if you are yourself, if you are real. They will see you as valuable.

Talk about what is interesting to you (you know it is interesting to others because you are in the same field). If you have nothing else to say, just say, "hey it was interesting to talk to you. Let's talk later." And then you can give your business card and reach out to them later if you have something else to say.

Don't try to bring any weird topic just to keep the conversation going.

You are unique and special, you have some kind of value nobody else can add. You are important.

That's what I do and think and it's working for me.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
Be normal.

Be yourself.

Be present.

Ask a lot of questions, I mean a lot.

People LOVE to help the new/younger guy out.

This has been true in every industry I've ever been involved with.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

Please SEARCH before posting.