The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good Posture. Something I ignored for a long time.

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Berserker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 26, 2014
UK
I found this thread very helpful. I myself have been suffering for neck pains for as long as I can remember. My job involves sitting in front of the computer all day. But I've been disciplining myself to move around often or just simply stand up to help circulate blood flow.

I can't go to the gym and exercise, my work drains the energy out of me. I know it's a poor excuse for not hitting the gym. What's left of my free time I usually spend reading or sleeping. :joyful:

Probably not what you want to hear - but exercising will give you more energy - guaranteed :)

Since I started hitting the gym again last autumn, every aspect of my life has improved - energy, discipline, motivation, general health, well being. I doubt I would be on the fastlane trip if it wasn't for the gym. We as humans are built to move, not sit still, and I can really tell the difference in both my physical and mental state after exercising. And I started getting up an hour earlier so I could work out - so no time is no excuse :)

Ok, apologies for the lecture! But just give it a go for a week or two, that's not too much to commit to is it? :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
If you're tired or unmotivated to go to the gym, drink a preworkout drink like jack3d or caffeine.. it works. Also, as someone who had reluctantly went to the gym for the last 2 weeks - once you see the first results, you really want to go again :)

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
If you're tired or unmotivated to go to the gym, drink a preworkout drink like jack3d or caffeine..

I second this, I've used C4 Extreme and had insane results, it's like offing a few red bulls only without the crash. Not only does it make you want to get up and go, you will end up staying at the gym longer and not bitching out.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
One of my dream goals is to be able to buy one of these and I'll never have to worry about posture again (in addition to the badass look) :D:

emperor-1510-workstation-photo-1.jpg

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
If you're interested in a very good workout routine, I suggest Kelei's Intermediate/Advanced Routine. ->http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157587143It's pure gold, people have been having amazing results with it. I was traveling for half a year and god did I miss it! Now it's back on!Also, what are your takes on standing desks?

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Just my 2 cents worth - if you are in pain from repeated bad posture, Sports Massage therapy may be something that helps while you're changing your habits, and get the therapist to suggest some stretches you can do at home.

(I don't do any sports).

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Also, I found Egoscue exercise a few years and really helped my back pains then. It's a 45 minute natural stretching.
Hope it helps.

MarchWarrior

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 25, 2014
I will share a tip from correcting my posture over the years

Ditch your pillow, and relax your neck so it stretches your neck lightly. (sleeping, facing upwards)
it should feel like your neck isn't "pushed" back, but "slide" back along your jaw line up to your ears. Kinda like there's a line ladder in your neck disc and it slides your head back. That's how you're suppose to be throughout the day, and in sleep.

the first two weeks will feel awkard as hell and you'll have neck tightness, but overtime, the light stretching will avoid you having the 42 pound head
http://erikdalton.com/media/published-articles/42lb-head/

since 1/3 of your life you're sleeping, why not spend more time into fixing your posture through sleep? It's time you have to spend anyways

8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot is probably the best book i'd recommend. Non-affiliate link below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0979303605/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

the real deal on posture, due to the author's focus on daily motion and movement we spend a good deal of time on, such as walking, sitting, sleeping etc.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Planks and any yoga where you are holding your core muscles and not crunching them together.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Been away from the forums for awhile, but thought I would drop a quick update here. Since January of this year I have dropped 20 pounds of fat, look lean, got myself down to a 28 minute 5k, and am feeling great! My workout hits back one day and core another to help with posture. In addition, I have made ergonomics a daily ritual, continually focusing on keeping my body centered.

As a result, I have zero back pain, even when working vigorously, can sit at a computer for hours with little to no slouching, and am nearly an inch taller. For anyone reading this, I am incredibly happy I added this to my life and can now walk, sit, or otherwise exist with more confidence.

If anyone is interested in my results or workout in more depth, I'd be happy to share!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Have you ever thought of using a standing desk?

Ezio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 6, 2014
Gdansk, Poland

Last edited:

Nab

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 20, 2014
Try doing more pulling exercises to strengthen the middle of your back and the stronger it gets the more it will retract your shoulders and fix your posture. Sometimes bad posture comes from a tight chest and anterior deltoids because those are the muscles worked more frequently which tends to pull your posture forward. Stretching those muscles along with strengthening your back will make huge improvements. Moderate weight deadlifts with reverse grips on both hands (meaning palms facing forward), will work wonders because it forces you in a position of good posture.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I worked for DHL and the Postal Service for years, and had some really bad back problems from it. Going from that to sitting at a desk writing for 8 hours a day, or even in a recording studio, and it amplified my back issues. My neck was especially bad after sitting at my desk all day. I switched to a standing desk a few years back, and love it! I measured the height I would need for my keyboard to be in the correct, relaxed position, and my eyes too. Then I got the help of a friend to build a platform to put my sitting desk on top of. It looks good and works perfectly. The GelPro anti-fatigue mat helps a lot too. Here are some of the things I've noticed over the past few years:
  • 3 Days of my feet hurting and being swollen
  • A week of my back adjusting and having to stretch more
Then...
  • A MASSIVE jump in productivity. And I mean MASSIVE. Like 400% to 500% more.
  • More attentive focus while I'm working.
  • MUCH less back pain from long hours of work than I got when using a chair
  • Forced to take breaks every couple of hours (60/60/30 rules! Look it up!), which boost productivity and focus even more, keeping me from "brain tiredness" or being a work zombie.
  • Able to exponentially more enjoy time not working.
  • Far more energy both when working and when not.
  • Weight Loss!
  • MUCH less time doing useless meandering on the net or playing games to procrastinate. Who wants to stand up while doing that? I would rather be working or at least be productive at my computer if I have to stand up to use it. And my iPad, while useful, is more difficult to do heavier tasks and typing on, plus it just feels better to be as productive as my standing desks has helped me to be.
  • Quite possibly a longer lifespan and better health all around. Sitting at a desk all day has some pretty dire serious proven health consequences, while standing has definitely improved my health overall.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
If in case you have time to workout, include Egoscue Pain free workout into your routine. It's a type of stretching exercise that works on your core and back muscles. It helped me a lot, I do have a slightly twisted pelvic which causes me some back pains every now and then and this one really helped me.

Note:
I am not affiliated to Egoscue, just sharing my thoughts on this.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Work on your core ie Front planks, side planks, Supermans, as well as other exercises to strengthen the back.
Deadlifts for full body strengthening.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
After considering it for a couple of years, I purchased a GeekDesk. Been using it for around 6 months and I rarely sit these days. My posture has improved and my back hurts a lot less... if you work at a desk, it is well worth looking into.

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
After considering it for a couple of years, I purchased a GeekDesk. Been using it for around 6 months and I rarely sit these days. My posture has improved and my back hurts a lot less... if you work at a desk, it is well worth looking into.

$1000 for a standing desk?!

This is going to be my solution:
Photo-05-08-11-17-19-34.jpeg

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Whatever works for you @Yeezy!

My desk ended up costing more than a $1000 as I had to deal with international shipping (for the frame) and get a top made locally, that being said, still worth every cent in my opinion.

Last edited:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
chiropractic adjustments are important part of posture/body alignment. Many times poor posture is a body adaptation and compensation for back or pelvis out of alignment. Find a comprehensive chiropractor that looks at the entire body, not just your back. Even feet (can be adjusted) can throw off your knee, then pelvis, then back, up to your neck etc...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.