The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Did you know that Amazon offers a 30 day free trial of their Web Store? It's a full service, free standing eCommerce store that you can open to host your business, but it also ties in to the Amazon ecosystem in the event that you want to use Amazon's fulfillment and a host of other Amazon services that integrate with their Web Store platform.

http://webstore.amazon.com/b/10096510011?ld=SCUSWBA-LS-Login-10001301

Also, the Mind Your Business interview with Amazon spokesman Erik Fairleigh is still out there in case you missed it.

You can stream it from our station directly at http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/media/podcast-mind-your-business-mindyourbusiness/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is just what I notice. I listen to a lot of blog talk radio and other radio shows, and I may be wrong, but it sounds like people are reading, but like M.J. sounds natural. The host and people asking questions need to sound more natural like they're having a regular conversation, versus sounding like they're reading. It may just be me, because I listen to a lot of audio books too so I can tell the difference.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So, do you want the good news, or the bad news?

The good news is we pre-recorded an awesome, inspiring interview with Jim "Griff" Griffith from eBay and had it set to release in the morning.

The bad news is due to a technology issue, the computer file is corrupt. We have an IT guy working on it now at the station, but it doesn't look good. We might have lost the interview, and a pretty interesting debate between Dave and Rachel on top of that.

So, that's a huge bummer. Everyone from our side is pretty sad about it... but shit happens. If a miracle happens between now and then, the podcast will go live at it's scheduled time.

Not sure at this point if we will be able to redo it (might be awkward for us to ask eBay to do it again...) but we will keep you updated.

A week from tomorrow is Small Business Saturday, and we have an awesome show planned. So, worst case we will be back next week. Best case, a Christmas miracle will happen and we'll recover the tapes.

In either case, stay tuned.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Bummer.

Anyone that you think that you could interview quickly? Someone from here who might provide value?

Cheers man!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Bummer.

Anyone that you think that you could interview quickly? Someone from here who might provide value?

Cheers man!

I am heading out tonight to a cocktail party with the station. I think will just regroup for next weekend with small business Saturday. It's a minor speed bump along the content fast lane we are building. Shit happens.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
False alarm. Our technician recovered the file and we are good to go for tomorrow. Ebay spokesperson Jim Griffith, tomorrow morning at 12pm central time!

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Great news! Looks like going to a cocktail party is the best way to resolve these little problems.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You have a chance tomorrow at 12PM central time to listen in on a discussion with the #1 expert in the world regarding selling on eBay.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thank you so much for this show Vigilante!

We do it for people like you. We only want this week's show to be better than last week's.

So far, I think we have beat the last week 4 weeks in a row. Tomorrow should be no different, but you be the judge.

I look forward to your comments.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
►► Mind Your Business episode 5 is now available from Twin Cities News Talk◄◄

Dave and Rachel debate the pros and cons of starting a brick and mortar business, and then we're joined by eBay spokesman Jim "Griff" Griffith to talk about all aspects of building a business on eBay.

Quit your job. Start your life.™ Mind Your Business, Saturdays on Twin Cities News Talk.

http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/onair/mind-your-business-55424/mind-your-business-all-about-ebay-12998633/

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Great show Dave, and great content.
I also love what a great communication you and Rachel have. I can only wish me and my dad were like that (or even my sister and dad were like that. They barely talk to each other, even on skype and I don't talk to my dad even at home).

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The bad news is due to a technology issue, the computer file is corrupt. We have an IT guy working on it now at the station, but it doesn't look good. We might have lost the interview, and a pretty interesting debate between Dave and Rachel on top of that.

You just learned a lesson that I learned early on. For making videos, the lesson was:

Two mics.

Two cameras.

Two angles

Two files.

Two memory cards.

Always.

Maybe the take home is: If you only get one shot, get redundant angles or copies of the shot. Hope you get your files back.

Last edited:

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Enjoyed the show, as usual. Liked the debate on b&m vs ecommerce. I'd also agree with a hybrid store, as the online transactions that Rachel mentioned as 6% of total transactions is expected to be 20% by 2020.

I wondered about eBay vs Amazon for total customers, it's interesting how much of a leg up Amazon has (100m).

Didn't realize the average household has $2500 of unused goods. I'll have to raid my house and see if I can get enough for the meetup.

I liked his analogy to eBay as a wild west originally, very hands off and just facilitative, and recognition of how much customer demands and standards have changed over the last 20 years and how that's affected eBay (and all online stores, really).

I knew eBay had tons of new merchandise, but didn't realize it was 80%+. Figured 50/50 or 60/40.
And that 61% of that is international. Like Griff sending Hawaiian shirts overseas. Supplying where there is unrecognized demand. I bet most entreprenurs aren't trying to sell used American style clothes overseas.

eBay's efforts, like Amazon, to make selling as easy as possible for vets and first timers is admirable.

Really takes away the excuse of needing to know people or have money to run a successful business.
Plenty more points of course, but just took a few from my list.

Thanks for the show!

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Solid show. Definitely made the drive home from the relative's house a lot more enjoyable.

* liked the intro and the argument between Brick and Mortar versus online.
* I thought Griff had a very nice radio presence and I liked knowing that:
- they didn't position themselves as the "anti-Amazon," but rather an alternative channel
- that they sell 80% new items (!) - this is probably a shocker for folks like me who haven't been to eBay since the wild west days of even a few years ago
- that they've made it even easier to list items for sale. The feature where you enter the ISBN or serial number and stuff pre-populates? AWESOME.

So I've been hearing a lot about how the show is aimed at enabling the "Average Joe" to eventually break the bonds of slavery. That's EXCELLENT. However, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be advantageous to start building up a set of core materials that walks people through the initial steps of setting up a store. You can have them be free materials (increasing the show's value) and then someday could be turned into a book or educational materials for sale.

Also think that you should try to get guys like Mike Rowe on the show. I listened to his interview on the EntreLeadership (with my teen in the car listening too) and I thought that it was dynamite. Basically, we've turned "work" into a dirty word for many people.

Anyway, keep on keepin' on.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
I haven't read through this thread at all yet so idk if there's some conversation I can be contributing to - But I just want to tell you I LOVE this show and anxiously await each episode. Keep up the great work!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The best thing you all could do to help us out would be share a link to the show for us with your friends over social media. We need to continue to rapidly increase listeners in order to attract the sponsors that we want.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
The best thing you all could do to help us out would be share a link to the show for us with your friends over social media. We need to continue to rapidly increase listeners in order to attract the sponsors that we want.
Done.

Of course, probably 2/3d of my social media crowd is allergic to entrepreneurship in general but hopefully someone will take the bait!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Suggestion - Use a standard format in the title of each episode.

Instead of listening all at once, I have been listening to one a day. Today is number 4 for me and I had to figure out which one it was. Something like "Mind Your Business - S01E04 - Launching a Business". (S=Season)

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014

Dave

They have some social coupons/content lock out software where you can offer discounts upon sharing/liking or completely lock out content until they like/share. You might want to look into that.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We just pre-taped the show for Saturday. Flash interviews with 5 brick and mortar business owners.

2014_SBS.png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Good show!

Would recommend that y'all start numbering the episodes so that later you or others can say, "That info was discussed in episode XXX." It gives people a frame of reference, and it's especially good so that folks can specifically seek out an episode to get detailed info. Otherwise, it becomes a mess.

Also would have liked to hear more about the struggles that each biz went through but I realize that y'all had only a limited time for the number of businesses on the show.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007