The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should you go and get shit yourself or get a team?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
wat-is-love-meme.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Go get it yourself, only when you are a good biz guy, get a team.
Or you can just muddle everything up and get high on an egotistical search for drama and supremacy amongst trivial heirarchal groups.

I'd go the first route though, the other path is for sh#theads

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Who's been pissing in your coffee recently Rogue?

And OP, if you don't give us context the answer is just gonna be 'it depends.'

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
finish something

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
What do you consider a team? In my definition it is surrounding myself with team players that aren't going to go half way, but all the way to the end zone. Team players are my bf, a mentor that have coached me through just about every obstacle imaginable in the last four years. They've proven they will stay and go to the end zone over and over again. That trust was earned and proven over time and time again. Neither one of them allowed me to fall.

The business is my own thing and I prefer to be my own boss versus working under someone else. Partners in some businesses have to show what kind of results they produce. I have one person that keeps asking me questions, but doesn't do what needs to be done to make it on her own. If I'm doing the work and telling her what to do, it makes absolutely no sense for me to work with her at all. Another one started a project, and dropped it. So, no I don't do the partnership thing to well, because at this point in the game, it's like added baggage and responsibility I don't need to gets in my way. It's more of a distraction.

There's a time and place for partners if they've proven they have what it takes. I suppose I have the Bear Bryant Philosophy. If you quit during half time, I don't need you on my team, because as he puts it team players have to have one heart beat. The thing is you can put your business in someone else's hands and leave your future in their hands, or take responsibility for where your business goes. It's up to you and no one can make that choice for you.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The reality is that almost any problem can be solved if you can put together the proper team.

The first question that you should be asking yourself is this: Am I skilled at identifying and hiring talent? Can they accomplish the task given to them?

Now here's the bigger one: WILL they accomplish the task long term? For example, if I hired an extreme extrovert to do accounting stuff in a cubicle for a long time, sure he could do the job but he probably won't last long.

Delegate the low leverage tasks out and only utilize your time/energy on high leverage activities. That's fastlane, my brother.

Stack$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 1, 2014
Well I mean, I see my friends who own businesses in like duo and just get a lot of projects done...like being this power team.. you know like Jay and Dame Dash...Russell Simmons and Kimora.. I kinda envy them, like you know having this person that feels like they have a stake in your success just as much as you do..and the journey just becomes that much more fun

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
You need to be flexible. My current project was launched at a startup weekend in September. It was done at the last minute when the team's original plan didn't validate out, and it was me and one other guy. I figured other guy was just helping to be nice, as he kept talking about checking out the other teams. The next day two of the organizers contacted me about it, talking a lot of game. They were into it for about a month, then drifted off. Meanwhile "other guy" has turned out to be a solid partner, so far.

The point is, you don't know ahead of time who will work out and who won't. Don't give up anything before people have proven themselves. If your project is far enough along that you could feasibly start doling out ownership I recommend the book "Slicing Pie" for a simple and pragmatic way to model how to do it. Oh yeah, one more thing - don't go into business with friends.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
The way I see it, you have only two resources: time and money. Time is by far more valuable than money. So if you have the second, hire people to do the legwork.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.