The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some guidance! Regarding My Invention

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I've been working towards putting a product together that would solve the problem of smelly shoes & socks.

And I thought I had cracked it so I started putting together prototype designs, CAD designs, 3D modelling and web copy etc.

But a few weeks ago I got in touch with a local university to hear what they thought about my idea and if they could help me put it together. They agreed and said they would do market research and see if the product is viable and actually making the product is possible.

Well on the 17th of Nov. I went back to them and they gave me a detailed report of the data they had gathered on competition, on my industry etc.

First of all its possible to make the product, thats not an issue at all.

But, it turns out there was 1 thing I had totally overseen; my product which is a barrier sock made out of waterproof silicone would technically keep your socks dry (i.e you wear it before you put on your normal socks and it prevents your feet sweat from reaching your socks - keeping your shoes and socks dry ).... BUT using my product would create the perfect environment for foot odor, bacteria and foot sweat... because feet need to breath and be airy or kept 100% dry in order for the sweat not turn into odor or bacteria!
Also there are some products that are out there (which I knew about but they solve the problem differently i.e insoles that you put into the shoes and replace every 30 days and some socks made with much more advanced tech to let them breathe while wicking the sweat into its fiber at the bottom which basically creates a barrier too).

Pics of my product (3D); http://i.imgur.com/78KSPQg.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/FsiIxvu.jpg

In the report they told me in order to prevent feet odor and sweat I'd either have to make a product that is similar to the current products on the market but make it even better (and I'm on a limited a$$ budget so not sure how I'll be able to do that). Or find a way to make a product that would let the feet breathe more or find a way to suck out any liquid i.e dry feet = no bacteria or odor.

So I spent most of yesterday trying find a ways I could improve my product and I thought of things like; making a 1 time use antiperspirant pad for feet (like a diaper that sucks liquid), or using something like baby powder with my product .. i.e you put a little bit of powder on your feet before you put on my product (refer to the pics) and hopefully that would keep sweat from accumulating inside of my product!

But now I'm starting to have doubt because even if I did that am I actually bringing a superior product to the market? I'm thinking maybe I should just scrap the whole idea and count my losses.

What do you guys think?

P.s there is a substance I read about called sodium Polyacrylate - which is a powder that sucks water like there is no tomorrow; you can see it in action here;

Was thinking if I moved forward with the idea I should use that either in pads or as powder that you put inside my product before you put on my product (but I feel like it starts getting too much - and the other products on the market would be a better choice for people).

Tl;dr should I scrap my foot product idea or push forward and let the market tell me no/yes.

Please excuse any mistakes, English is one of 4 languages I've had to learn.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Developmental

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Oct 10, 2014
Nottingham, UK
it might not be useful to you but have you looked into goretex? it is a proprietary material that is very waterproof yet breathable - I've got sailing boots made out of the stuff and its amazing - dry even in storm conditions yet breathable so your feet don't overheat/get sweaty

could you try make goretex socks that prevent moisture/sweat from your feet reaching the shoes and causing the odour?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Ha... this shit failed badly.

Apparently after doing more research my product created the perfect environment for bacteria to fester and would therefor create sweat and foot odor as a result.

Live and learn.

/thread

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

Apparently after doing more research my product created the perfect environment for bacteria to fester and would therefor create sweat and foot odor as a result.

Live and learn.

/thread

At least you tried! :)

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I'd start with, "i know 4 languages" and leverage the crap out of that. Talk about scarcity and barrier to entry.

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
Great job taking action trying to bring your idea to market!
It's funny, I was also thinking of a product to prevent smelly shoes and socks.
One of my ideas was
Insoles made of dryer sheets.....there are products that work better already, but I still stuff half a dryer sheet into each of my sneakers hahah.

I'm also big on inventions. PM me if you'd like to talk about some ideas ( not give away)
I'm in the process of trying to develop some stuff myself.

How much did this adventure cost you?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Great job taking action trying to bring your idea to market!
It's funny, I was also thinking of a product to prevent smelly shoes and socks.
One of my ideas was
Insoles made of dryer sheets.....there are products that work better already, but I still stuff half a dryer sheet into each of my sneakers hahah.

I'm also big on inventions. PM me if you'd like to talk about some ideas ( not give away)
I'm in the process of trying to develop some stuff myself.

How much did this adventure cost you?

Small world :) I know its a real problem, and if you found a really good solution to this problem you could become a deca-millionaire!

Dryer sheet, interesting. Gotta give that a try :D

Not a lot like $1k tops. I was lucky, I got a grant from a university that specializes in innovation and bringing new products to market.

Always up for exchanging ideas. Hit me up.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for your kind words guys, but you don't get a prize for trying. I failed, but I did learn from it and get a good contact if I should have another product idea I'd like to explore in the future.

Cheers

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
@100k - Do you mind me asking what 4 languages you speak?

I would love to become bi-lingual or tri-lingual. I know some Spanish but I'm not fluent yet.

I would also like to pick up Italian or French.

P.S. I am aware that all the educators / government/ employers say Arabic and Mandarin is where the money is.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada

I would love to become bi-lingual or tri-lingual. I know a some Spanish but I'm not fluent yet.

P.S. I am aware that all the educators / government/ employers say Arabic and Mandarin is where the money is.
I can help you with French.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Christiano

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Sep 3, 2015
Dallas
Just Googled: What causes odor in sweat and got this:

"Apocrine glands typically release fluid (perspiration) in response to several factors, including hormones, anxiety or emotional stress. Bacteria found naturally on the skin's surface begin breaking down the protein and fatty acids in the sweat. It's the bacterial breakdown that causes unpleasant smell or odor.Jan 25, 2014"

Based on this information it's not the fluid at all, but the bacteria breakdown that results in the odor. If you can non-toxically prevent the break-down or eliminate the bacteria, that would be a HUGE market dude.

As for the languages thing, localization is where the real money is. With E-Commerce enabling a global reach, companies have NO IDEA how imagery and messaging need to shift to resonate with other cultures. Sell THAT and the translation is a given.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012

I would love to become bi-lingual or tri-lingual. I know some Spanish but I'm not fluent yet.

English, Swedish, Danish and a African language.

I guess could make some cash as a translator in court or something like that.

But if you really want to leverage a being bi-lingual/tri-lingual then it would be best to have another skill too.... like Marketing, SEO, coding or something related to IT.

Best way to learn the language is to go to Italy or France for a holiday - take Italian/French classes during the day and live & hang out with the locals during the evenings..... I'm sure you could pick up a language pretty quick that way.

That would probably be the ideal way to learn, otherwise you could try rosetta stone and things like that.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
English, Swedish, Danish and a African language.
I guess could make some cash as a translator in court or something like that.

Very cool.

Have you ever seen that movie "The Interpreter" with Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn? She was monetizing a unique African language as an interpreter at the United Nations. It's a thriller. You should check it out if you haven't seen it.

Best way to learn the language is to go to Italy or France for a holiday - take Italian/French classes during the day and live & hang out with the locals during the evenings..... I'm sure you could pick up a language pretty quick that way.

Absolutely agree. Total immersion is the best way to go. I have been to both Italy and France and yes, it is so much easier to pick up the language because you have to. I was in each country only a few weeks, though. I would really like to have a whole summer :)

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
@100k

Maybe don't give up so easily? Have you looked into some way to use red cedar? Red cedar naturally deals with moisture and odor, hence why you can buy hangers, discs, bags etc. made out of the stuff. If you could use red cedar shavings and somehow make them antibacterial your original idea might still work?

G

Guest3722A

Live and learn.

/thread
Just thinking out loud here, and assuming you tested for demand, have you researched what's used to make antibacterial soap antibacterial? Then, can it be used with your idea somehow?

I know surgeons also prescribe a higher level than otc type of antibacterial soap pre-surgery as well.

I see this as a wall, myself. But don't know the level of dedication and effort you applied to this...

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
I'm an inventor too and my invention didn't work on the first try either. Actually, that's very common.

What happened next isn't common: I kept trying... and trying... and trying... and I lost count.... but I still kept trying.

My original idea is intact: how I solved the problem is basically the same but overall the design I have now is drastically different, even simpler.

Ideas are easy and a dime a dozen: being able to follow through on those ideas is where the rubber meets the road and many find excuses to abandon their ideas because of failures. I really thought the cedar inserts could be a great solution to the issue but I'm not in that space. What do I know.

I suggest you keep trying - as long as you're sure there is a hungry market for the solution. Why would you walk away from a hungry market that's just waiting for a solution?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.