The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Profit, entrepreneur business turnaround show on CNBC

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
The wine bar episode was really good also. They dove a lot deeper into the numbers which was awesome!

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
Great show! Thanks a lot to OP for letting us know about this program. Hard to find any series on TV to learn from nowadays.

I think The Profit is way better than any of the "fix your business" shows. The thing I like the most about it is that you get to know a lot of different businesses and how their industries work, while Restaurant Impossible and Bar Rescue only focus on one thing, something that get very repetitive in the long run.

It is inspiring to see that many idiots have created million dollar revenue businesses. If neglecting, narrow-minded and sometimes stupid people can build a business with seven figure revenue, then why can't we do the same?

It strikes me how insanely unintelligent some people can be. Their business is struggling and almost have to close for good. Then an expert comes in an throws them a life-line by putting in money and expertise, and they still want the businesses to be ran the way THEY want. Sick.

I hope this show goes on as long as possible, but I fear that it is not entertaining enough for the average American (even though I find it both entertaining and interesting).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

For those unaware, a new season has started (2 episodes since the Key Lime Pie Co.).

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet though.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
For those unaware, a new season has started (2 episodes since the Key Lime Pie Co.).

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet though.
Watched both of them. I don't know but it feels different than the last season.
Needs more numbers and less camera zooms.

D

DeletedUser394

Watched both of them. I don't know but it feels different than the last season.
Needs more numbers and less camera zooms.

I got around to watching the courage.b episode.

Had to have been my favorite of both seasons. He delved into all of the numbers, the family was responsive throughout, and the emotion and pain was real.

A+ to the moon with that episode.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Forgot this existed so I made a new thread on the latest episode, "Swanson's." Mods can go ahead and delete that. Here's what I wrote:

Two caveats. First, I don't want to seem creepy or invasive with this post, but it was like a train wreck, where once I started looking, I couldn't look away. I hope it proves educational anyway, if it seems like too much snooping, sorry. Everything I've mentioned here was found on a single 1st page Google search with everything in public access. Names/locations omitted, but if it needs to be deleted, that's fine.

Second, I'm not sure if this should go where the Shark Tank master thread went, or in the sidewalk section.

Anyway, The Profit is one of two TV shows we watch anymore. It's not as good as Shark Tank, and has a more cheesy reality-TV feel, but it's still good for some solid business insights. Pizza and The Profit is one of my wife and my weekly rituals.

Anyway, this week's show was a disaster, as the people involved ultimately concealed their true financial situation, leading to the deal collapsing. They claimed to have gotten millions in insurance payouts when two mysterious fires broke out at their building and warehouse. They claimed to have revenue that was about 4 times expenses. But they could not pay the bills.

As Marcus dug deeper, he finds out that the wife drives a 5-Series, and the dad has a large boat (that was also wrecked, leading to a huge insurance payout), and that they're re-modeling their house while their business is tanking and they're hitting up the workers to buy inventory. You can see all that on the show.

What blew my mind was after the show, my wife was googling the business to see how things turned out for them after the show and if Marcus got his money back, and along with the company website and (mostly negative) YELP reviews, up pops the then public (but now private) Facebook profile of the daughter who works at the business. The profile included the most sidewalkian tale of woe ever. That all the drama was fake, that the financials weren't accurate on the show, that Marcus was trying to steal their building, that the fires were totally explainable because they had a former employee who stole from them (causing some of the debt) who wanted to kill them but the police refused to investigate, that the family had had 3-4 deaths that were close that year and depressed everyone, that the dad had made bad investments, man, I can't even begin to scratch the surface of the litany of nonsense that was in that rant. Anyway, as my wife calls me over and as we're reading this, we look at the girl's profile picture. The profile picture was at Club XS in Vegas. And others in Miami clubs. And LA. And Italy. And Southern France. And TONS in NYC at apartments that must have cost north of $10M. Bottle service everywhere. Every one, a new dress, every picture from a different party. This girl was beautiful and young, and she was basically faking her way through the NYC millionaire socialite life. Truckloads of designer clothes, tanker ships of alcohol, and in the background... utter financial ruin. Phones shut off. Banks nailing signs to the door.

Marcus ripped this girl's mom a new one for driving a 5 series while the workers went unpaid, but unbeknownst to him this girl (who showed up to the business in a very modest car) also had, at various points, a CLK 63 AMG Black Series and an Audi R8 Spyder. Her parent's house was palatial, and featured a beautiful raised, heated stone hot tub in the back where she seemed to have a lot of parties, and on and on. Their parents had boats and cars and this giant house, and were probably helping this girl live her lifestyle in NYC. Meanwhile, their business, that their dad built, is in foreclosure, and they can't pay their employees. Her "great" job she left was as at a department store. I know lots of people who work at department stores who can afford R8 Spyders, don't you? All this, we found after looking for a few minutes, then closed the browser. It's all deleted/private now, probably because other show-watchers looked up the company and found this insanity too.

These things define the sidewalk: Pretending to be successful when you are not, blaming absolutely anyone and everyone else when your pretensions are seen through, and refusing to alter your pattern of behavior until destitution takes everything you have and no one is left to listen to the cries of "woe is me!"

It was powerful to see it all laid bare like this in a real world example.

Last edited by a moderator:

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Think i watched all of season 2 episodes or whatever was up to fishery and all that. It is truly amazing the idiots that run businesses. This shit they suck at is common sense somewhat. Lol the lady not wanting to give up bmw when business is failing. If anything, this show should give u the confidence to start a business when u have some huge idiots running businesses now and somehow staying afloat longer than they should...albeit the wrong way of course

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Show is becoming a bit of a Reality TV dramafest, unfortunately. I wish the casting directors spent less time looking for unstable families to film and more time looking for businesses poised to make it big and focused on the brass tacks. That's why I like Shark Tank-I know it's edited and parts are played up, but compared to most reality TV it's pretty straight forward-Business, business mechanics, dollars and cents.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
Show is becoming a bit of a Reality TV dramafest, unfortunately. I wish the casting directors spent less time looking for unstable families to film and more time looking for businesses poised to make it big and focused on the brass tacks. That's why I like Shark Tank-I know it's edited and parts are played up, but compared to most reality TV it's pretty straight forward-Business, business mechanics, dollars and cents.

Yeah the most recent episode with the family clothing boutique was a bit overdramatic. The family drama seemed to overshadow the actual business aspect. It played out like an episode of Dr. Phil. Same goes for the last episode as well (which is oddly no longer available on Hulu).

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Only reason I watch the profit is I watch Marcus react to screwed up situations, and because sometimes he deals out some business talk.

Marky boy used to not see through these idiots at all, and I was screaming at him "dude stop not seeing the holes in this cheese!", now he seems to react to it, but still hasn't figured out how to end the show properly (without it dropping off a cliff) and how to find businesses that are awesome to watch.

Can't stand the drama (though sometimes its funny)
We need more business

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Watched 2 episodes yesterday evening to relax a bit. The ones with the custom made trailers and the toy company.

Seems to me like this isnt really a business show anymore. Just drama drama drama. In the few episodes I watched every deal fell apart because of some bullshit drama. Lots of time wasted.

For me its really hard to believe that Marcus Lemonis is legit (even though it seems so). Because which serious businessman who runs a billion dollar company would put up with this shit?

I'll give it another chance in the next few days but if in the next episode I watch theres just more drama, then that show is dead to me.

Really disappointed. First season actually had some valuable learnings.:(

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
For me its really hard to believe that Marcus Lemonis is legit (even though it seems so). Because which serious businessman who runs a billion dollar company would put up with this shit?

The next episodes are even worse. To answer your question, even a billionaire can't always buy the kind of household recognition that star billing on a network TV show brings. Think how many Chefs out there are better at cooking than Gordon Ramsay. Probably hundreds at least. Now, how many of them can you actually name? Same with the Shark Tank. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people in the US alone who are far wealthier than all the sharks except Cuban (and a few dozen who are far wealthier than Cuban too), but have you ever heard of them? No. That means when they launch a product, buy a company, or write a book, their return for their time is far lower. Conversely, probably 5% as many people would have bought Lori's book before ST. Like MJ said, fame is a multiplier.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I just downloaded both seasons and started watching a few episodes...I'm hooked. Love this show!

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York
Sad what happened to that Brooklyn meat supply company.. But they screwed Marcus out of $200K so I guess they deserved going out of business.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I like watching them, because of two things:

1. Most of these owners are complete bozos, so it shows you the power in just taking action and not doing the mental masturbation routine.
2. Reminds me that "many" of your competitors are just like these guys, so don't be scared of competition. Go. Crush. Them!

I know they want it to be a drama, but it's more comedy than anything.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
I like watching them, because of two things:

1. Most of these owners are complete bozos, so it shows you the power in just taking action and not doing the mental masturbation routine.
2. Reminds me that "many" of your competitors are just like these guys, so don't be scared of competition. Go. Crush. Them!

I know they want it to be a drama, but it's more comedy than anything.

Gotta wonder if Marcus is picking clowns who make for good TV.

Then you realize -- no shit sherlock.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If you don't watch The Profit you're missing out.

If you watch it as it airs Marcus live streams on Facebook between commercials. Usually get some good behind the scenes insights. Sometimes he mentions things that got edited out.

I get something from every episode. One episode in particular was very relevant to my business and really opened my eyes to some things.

Also, if you're looking for a "job", Marcus is hiring in his new show "The Partner".

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.lemonis/videos/1117264771625046/

bob johnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 15, 2015
Marcus' face here pretty much sums up the whole episode:

aoiKnWJ.jpg
Hahaha. This was the guy who cited the 4 hour work week as justification for being a lazy twit co-owner, entitled to a share of the profits with a veto on the key decisions while doing no work - all for the privilege of his 2000 dollar investment.

This show with its affected drama started to get on my nerves. I cannot believe people are this stupid.

Why would a struggling business advertise their incompetence?

Either the show is fake or it self selects for the bottom barrel nincompoops

WriteThatDown

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Nov 24, 2015
PA
I enjoy the show. I usually DVR episodes and get together with my Dad to watch them over a beer.

While there are instances of overly dramatic nonsense that are part of any reality TV show (I swear at around the 10 min mark of every episode someone starts to cry and needs to leave the room while they cue the sob story background music), there is definitely value, imo.

I'm also interested in "The Partner" show. I saw the live fb announcement he made last week, and it'll be interesting to see what type of candidates he selects. He mentioned he didn't care if you were a 22 year old MBA candidate or 59 year old professional. We shall see.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
wow. what an episode. The social media backlash is going crazy! An episode and now real life example on what NOT to do and how influential social media can be on your business.
12645131_1751995871703046_1515272462558317919_n.jpg

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
wow. what an episode. The social media backlash is going crazy! An episode and now real life example on what NOT to do and how influential social media can be on your business.
View attachment 11536

That lady was straight up certifiable!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!