The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

13 Lessons Learned While Building My Fastlane Business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
13 Important Insights Learned on My Journey To Finding, Choosing, Creating and Building my Fastlane Business.

Like you, the Millionaire Fastlane book changed my life.

Before reading the book, I thought all the business ideas I came up with were amazing.

It wasn't until I ran them through CENTS that I realized I needed a MAJOR reality check about what was REALLY going to lead to a liquidation event, and finally allow me to live the life I have dreamed about.

MJ's book finally allowed me to dump my brain of all the ineffective business ideas that were only going to waste my time and keep me feeling trapped and frustrated in the circle I was living in.

In this post below, I want to share some important things I have learned on my journey to finding a fastlane vehicle that adds a ton of value, and scales to millions without violating the fastlane commandments CENTS.

Hopefully the lessons and insights below will help you on your fastlane journey. Enjoy!

1) Get Your Mind Right

If you really want to build a fastlane business that leads to a liquidation event, you first must get your mind right. Without the right mindset, you will literally sabotage your success before you even get started.

Let me explain.

If you think "failure," and "making mistakes, are bad things, and you avoid them like the plague, you will never be successful in the fastlane.

Instead of avoiding these things while building your fastlane business, change the way you think about them.

Here let me help you do that...

Failure = Feedback
Making Mistakes = Learning what doesn't work so you can get closer to learning what works

Ask any entrepreneur what their biggest failure was when they were building their multi-million dollar venture...and then ask them what they learned from that failure that made them a milti-millionaire.

You may be surprised at their answer, but it will give you the context and necessary distinctions you need to make your venture a success. Ideally it is best to ask entrepreneurs in the industry you choose to build your fastlane business in to get the best guidance and help (more on that later).

SIDENOTE: I am sure @MJ DeMarco would be more than willing to share where he screwed up and failed while building limos.com. Have you ever thought about asking him?

Many people let failure stop them dead in their tracks, which is why so many people choose to slave away at a 9-5 job without creating any leverage in their life. These people let the possibility of failing even stop them from starting anything. The fear paralyzes them and keeps them stuck in their ho hum 9-5 life.

Now this doesn't mean having a job while building your fastlane business is a bad thing. Sometimes you've gotta do what you gotta do at the start of your fastlane business to pay bills and eat...but you should never lose sight about your purpose for having a job while building your dream.

Another big thing I want to share that relates to "getting your mind right" is STOP BEING A VICTIM!

If you f*cked up and got yourself in a crappy situation...OWN IT.

Blaming others for your problems solves NOTHING!

There is nothing I hate more than seeing someone who is always making excuses for why their life sucks. Take some responsibility for your life, and do what you have to do to to make progress, and get into a situation that serves you and you building your fastlane business.

The next thing about getting your mind right that I want to share is... COMMITMENT!

This is by far one of the biggest "mindset shifting" things that I have had to learn the hard way.

Let me give it to you straight between the eyes...

Don't start a fastlane business unless you are truly 100% committed to making it succeed.

Far too many times in my past I would start a project/business, work it a little bit like a hobby, and at the very first "problem" that came up I would bail out and say "this isn't going to work."

I allowed the short term failure stop me dead in my tracks, because I allowed my mind to micromanage it to the point where it paralyzed me from taking anymore action because I started creating the "negative domino effect" in my mind.

Can you relate?

This would have NEVER happened if I truly committed 100% to the success of the project before starting it.

MJ never said it would be easy, but dammit you know that going through the ups and downs of building a fastlane business is 100% worth it!

The last "get your mind right" thing I want to say is... Never forget that you are a problem solver.

Entrepreneurs are problem solvers. Never let that escape your mind, and always run any fastlane idea you come up with through that "litmus test" question.

That looks something like this...

Does my idea to build XYZ business actually solve a problem or fulfill a desire for a specific group of people that is big enough to make my business a profitable venture that scales to millions?

You HAVE TO be honest with yourself when you ask this question about your idea, or else you will end up like I was before reading MJ's book (frustrated, trapped and irritated about everything I tried to build).

If you need some help with this step before dumping a lot of time and work into your idea, find people who are smart in your trusted circle of friends and ask them if they see the opportunity as well. They may even be people you have met in this forum.

2) Only Learn From People Who Have Been There and Done That

I recently purchased a $1000 training program on how to buy media profitably. If you are a newbie, and don't know what media buying is, it is another way to say "advertising."

Anyone who isn't an entrepreneur would look at me and say, "You spent what...on what?!"

To be honest, it was a freaking bargain because the people who created the product (a live interactive 6+ week training course), spend MILLIONS on media buying every year, and run 7 figure businesses in multiple niches.

Based on what I have learned in the course, there is no doubt in my mind that I will multiply my initial investment by an infinite amount based on the skills I have been learning and how to tweak campaigns.

The best part about the whole thing is that when you leverage the tactics with a fastlane business model, and know that you can spend X and generate Y...and can scale that ratio into millions...your business model becomes "buy media...then print money...buy media...print money" as many freaking times that you want. (more on that later).

I share this short story with you because the key distinction that I want you to get is that too many times in my past I was listening and learning from people who didn't have what I wanted, and they would lead me down a rabbit hole of frustration, failure and defeat.

Make sure that before you choose to learn/listen to anyone that they have the credibility and proof that they actually know what they are taking about. (MJ IS SOMEONE WHO I LISTEN TO...But that should be obvious shouldn't it?)

In the age of the internet where anyone can have a blog and "look" like an expert, it is essential to do your due diligence to confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that who you are learning from is someone that you know you can trust.

Even if you have to pay for the information...just make sure you NEVER learn from posers just trying to "make a quick buck off your ignorance!"

3) Stop Trying to Turn Your "Passion" Into a Business...Instead Be Passionate About Gaining Market Validation For Your Fastlane Idea

I know MJ talks about this in his book, but I want to bring it up again to reiterate the point, and to add to it.

I just have one thing to say...

Be passionate about serving a market with a solution that they need and want, and creating "market validation" for what you are offering.

When you focus more on creating market validation with a scalable model that doesn't violate the CENTS commandments there is no better feeling when it begins working!

Focus on creating that reality for yourself, instead of trying to sell something that doesn't have a market, or that you have to pull teeth with a lot of convincing to get people to buy.

4) Stop Trying to Sell a Product, and Instead Sell VALUE

As I stated above when I was explaining why I purchased the $1000 media buying course. These entrepreneurs who know their shit did an amazing job at positioning their offer to make it an absolute no brainer for people like me who "get" how valuable something like this is.

When looking at the product you are selling to build your fastlane business, think more about it from the eyes of your target customer. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself the question, "If I were in their shoes, would I buy what they are selling, and is it worth more in "value" than I am charging in $?"

A smart marketer has said... "Price is what you pay, value is what you get." (make sure value is greater than price for your offers...always).

Never lose sight of what you are REALLY selling, and make sure that you never violate the price/value law when positioning your services in the marketplace.

5) If You Don't Want to Build Your Product, Find Another Way To Make it Work (Stretch Yourself By Thinking Strategically and Creatively To Get What You Want)

I am building my fastlane business within the software industry.

I am not a coder, or have any desire to learn...no matter how many times I hear/read about how MJ learned how to code.

To be honest, I don't have the patience or steadfastness to sit down and learn that skill, and the thought of doing it makes me want to gauge my eyes out with metal letter opener.

So...I share this piece of wisdom with you because if you are like me, and don't want to code, find another way to build your software product if that is the vehicle you want to choose.

You are smart, and have the ability to solve this personal problem.

Let me give you some ideas...

You could find a coder, and partner with them on the venture. You can be responsible for the vision and layout of your idea, and you can work hand in hand with the coder to make it a reality. There are multiple ways to creatively structure deals like this depending on your circumstances.

Or you can "buy" a piece of software that is already built...

If you want to build a product based business that isn't within the software industry, again I am going to say...put your creative/strategic thinking cap on and FIND A WAY. There is always a way, you just have to figure it out!

Remember...if this shit was easy...everyone would do it!

6) Never Stop Networking and Building Relationships

I know this is one of those things you hear a lot, but the fact of the matter is that it is one of the most important things that I have ever learned.

Never think for a second that "you are good" with the size your network. Always be building new connections, and forging new friendships.

You NEVER know when these contacts will be able to create a win/win relationship with you, or introduce you to someone who will help you create more value for someone else.

With social media...it makes it even easier to stay connected.

So NO EXCUSES!

7) Choose the Right Fastlane Vehicle

As I have stated throughout this post, before reading MJ's book I was constantly making the mistake of choosing the wrong vehicle which violated CENTS, or choosing a business which didn't solve a problem or fulfill a desire for a specific market.

Here's the lesson I want to make very clear...

Before you choose to dump a shitload of time and money into a venture, make sure that you are choosing the right car to drive in that won't blow up 10 feet from the finish line (liquidation event).

(Post continued in second post under this one due to too many characters)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
8) It Will Never Work Out How You Thought it Would...

I can't tell you how many times I have made the mistake thinking that what I was working on would work out exactly how I planned it to.

Be present to this fact, and know that even if you hit speedbumps along the way as you are building your fastlane business, don't ever forget what I talked about COMMITMENT in point #1.

When you hit "fastlane speedbumps" use your creative thinking, ingenuity, and/or mastermind group to help you overcome the challenges that you are facing. By sticking with it, and being consistent following your PROCESS you will end up on top.

NEVER FORGET: There is ALWAYS A WAY to solve any challenge you are facing in your business or life. It's your job to figure it out and make it happen!

The three most important words I want to share with you are...

"How Can I......"

When ever you are facing a challenge remember these three words. They allow your mind to seek solutions that you may not be presently aware of.

9) Be Present To Your "Inputs" and "Outputs"

As you are building your fastlane business, you as the business owner must be present to the "inputs" and "outputs" within your business. Another way to think about it is "cause" and "effect."

Because you only have so much time every single day to dedicate to "inputs" (time, money, actions) you need to make sure that what you are "putting into" your venture or business system on a daily basis is creating "outputs" that keep you moving forward with progress.

Example...

You have $10,000/month to spend on marketing to sell your fastlane product/service. You choose to spend it on 4 specific traffic channels (These are your inputs). Your outputs are the revenue and profitability from the monthly marketing spend. You obviously want the output to be positive profitability or else you will have to change something within the business system and process.

This way of thinking about your life and business will help you figure out how to spend your time in an optimized way to get the results you want.

It will also help you become even more present to how much time you waste on things that add no value to your business or bottom line profit number.

Make sure that the "inputs" you choose to dedicate your time to either add value to the business you are building, or are helping you make more profit on the bottom line.

10) Humility Is Your Friend

Never forget how you got to where you are today, and never forget who helped you along your path.

Let me paint the picture for you so you really get it....

We wouldn't be here in this forum connecting and sharing if it weren't for MJ.

Many of the success stories that have been written about in this forum wouldn't have happened if it weren't for MJ writing his book and participating in the forum on a DAILY basis. (What other multi-millionaire do you know who is willing to spend hours each day in a forum to help other people get to where he is?....Exactly....)

MJ is ONE of the people in both of our lives who has helped us get to where we are today.

And just like you, MJ has had a massive impact on my life, and has changed the course of my life forever.

Even after you create your liquidation event for your business, never lose sight about who helped you make it happen. This will keep you grounded, and continually attract successful people who will become great connections and friends in the future.

Don't turn into a douche thinking "you know it all" and that "no one can touch you" after you create the liquidation event. No one likes being around dickheads like that.

...I know I certainly don't.

And finally to sum up this point. Always give credit where credit is due. Everyone hates to be around a "know it all."

11) The Three Best Skills You Could Ever Learn are Marketing, Copywriting and Selling

I am going to keep this short, sweet and to the point...

Referencing the media buying course that I purchased above...

The creators of the course spent $7000 on media, and turned it into over $100,000 in sales within 2 weeks.

They were only able to do that because they are amazing at marketing, copywriting and selling.

If you aren't good at these three skills, spend the necessary amount of time you need to get really good at it. Once you are good at all three of these skills, you will NEVER go hungry again and be able to write your own ticket anywhere!

...And with a fastlane business, you could be making $100,000/day.

But you already knew that!

12) Don't Rely on Only One Marketing Tactic to Grow Your Company

This lesson is pretty self explanatory so I'll be brief.

If you are only relying on one marketing tactic to grow your company, you are putting yourself into a really tight spot to be wiped out in the future.

Example...

Don't just rely on SEO to build your company.

With the multitude of ways to drive traffic, reach audiences, and sell your products...be creative in this arena for your business...But don't lose sight of the "INPUTS" and "OUTPUTS" conversation that I talked about above.

Be smart with your time and money when it comes to marketing your service. (this could be a whole new post in and of itself...hmmm)

13) Plan on Getting Lucky

There I said it...

I don't know how to explain it but when you fully commit to building a fastlane business, and truly adopt the mindset that this isn't going to be a "short term money grab," but instead something you will dedicate your waking ours to no matter how many ups and downs you will have...amazing things start happening.

The faster you realize this, the faster you will create the success that you seek.

I know MJ isn't a fan of "WOO WOO" stuff in this forum, but I just have one thing I would like to say as I close up on this article that I learned from reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

What you think becomes your reality. The more energy, thought, emotion and action that you put towards you building your venture, unseen things start popping up for you into your vision. When they do, grab them and run with them. It is not happening by accident.

It has happened to me already as I am building my company.

Case in point...two days ago someone purchased the software I am selling, and came back to me asking if I had an affiliate program.

He has a list of 43,000 that he wants to promote it to because the list is the perfect market for the software.

Do you realize how awesome it will be the day he sends out that email?

The LEARNING LESSON...

I didn't actively take action to go out to "create this result"...it happened because I have fully committed to taking action and building this to the end....

NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF THIS and KEEP PUSHING NO MATTER WHAT!

Keep kicking a$$!

-Scott

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Even after you create your liquidation event for your business,

Many entrepreneurs are finding that the process is greater than a liquidation offer. Once a liquidation offer comes rolling by, they decline. How many times to we hear about that?

Very important. Throw Usain Bolt atop of a tricycle and I will beat him in a foot race. The problem is not Usain Bolt, the problem is his vehicle. And yet, he's the fastest man in the world.

3) Stop Trying to Turn Your "Passion" Into a Business...Instead Be Passionate About Gaining Market Validation For Your Fastlane Idea

Another critical point. People underestimate the passion for process and how it is means everything. It could be anything in any industry. @JasonR owns a business in the pet industry. Does he own a dog? Or a cat? Nope.

When you focus more on creating market validation with a scalable model that doesn't violate the CENTS commandments there is no better feeling when it begins working!

As I mentioned in another thread, it's entrepreneurial heroine. You'll find that the specifics of what your doing mean less and less. Your value output is like a boomerang that comes back right into your own life.

Great takes Scott, Rep transferred.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
13) Plan on Getting Lucky

And that's because you've improved probabilities. You've bended the odds in your favor.

I know MJ isn't a fan of "WOO WOO" stuff in this forum

Ha Ha, not necessarily ... but the mind-game is half the battle. Like they say in the fitness world, six-pack abs aren't built in the gym, they're built in the kitchen. Fitness is proper diet and exercise. Entrepreneurship is proper mindset and execution.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Could you offer us the URL for the course for some of us who might want to do the same?
They are not accepting new people at this time. Send me a private message, and we can exchange information so I can let you know when they choose to open it up again.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
13 Important Insights Learned on My Journey To Finding, Choosing, Creating and Building my Fastlane Business.

Like you, the Millionaire Fastlane book changed my life.

Before reading the book, I thought all the business ideas I came up with were amazing.

It wasn't until I ran them through CENTS that I realized I needed a MAJOR reality check about what was REALLY going to lead to a liquidation event, and finally allow me to live the life I have dreamed about.

MJ's book finally allowed me to dump my brain of all the ineffective business ideas that were only going to waste my time and keep me feeling trapped and frustrated in the circle I was living in.

In this post below, I want to share some important things I have learned on my journey to finding a fastlane vehicle that adds a ton of value, and scales to millions without violating the fastlane commandments CENTS.

Hopefully the lessons and insights below will help you on your fastlane journey. Enjoy!

1) Get Your Mind Right

If you really want to build a fastlane business that leads to a liquidation event, you first must get your mind right. Without the right mindset, you will literally sabotage your success before you even get started.

Let me explain.

If you think "failure," and "making mistakes, are bad things, and you avoid them like the plague, you will never be successful in the fastlane.

Instead of avoiding these things while building your fastlane business, change the way you think about them.

Here let me help you do that...

Failure = Feedback
Making Mistakes = Learning what doesn't work so you can get closer to learning what works

Ask any entrepreneur what their biggest failure was when they were building their multi-million dollar venture...and then ask them what they learned from that failure that made them a milti-millionaire.

You may be surprised at their answer, but it will give you the context and necessary distinctions you need to make your venture a success. Ideally it is best to ask entrepreneurs in the industry you choose to build your fastlane business in to get the best guidance and help (more on that later).

SIDENOTE: I am sure @MJ DeMarco would be more than willing to share where he screwed up and failed while building limos.com. Have you ever thought about asking him?

Many people let failure stop them dead in their tracks, which is why so many people choose to slave away at a 9-5 job without creating any leverage in their life. These people let the possibility of failing even stop them from starting anything. The fear paralyzes them and keeps them stuck in their ho hum 9-5 life.

Now this doesn't mean having a job while building your fastlane business is a bad thing. Sometimes you've gotta do what you gotta do at the start of your fastlane business to pay bills and eat...but you should never lose sight about your purpose for having a job while building your dream.

Another big thing I want to share that relates to "getting your mind right" is STOP BEING A VICTIM!

If you f*cked up and got yourself in a crappy situation...OWN IT.

Blaming others for your problems solves NOTHING!

There is nothing I hate more than seeing someone who is always making excuses for why their life sucks. Take some responsibility for your life, and do what you have to do to to make progress, and get into a situation that serves you and you building your fastlane business.

The next thing about getting your mind right that I want to share is... COMMITMENT!

This is by far one of the biggest "mindset shifting" things that I have had to learn the hard way.

Let me give it to you straight between the eyes...

Don't start a fastlane business unless you are truly 100% committed to making it succeed.

Far too many times in my past I would start a project/business, work it a little bit like a hobby, and at the very first "problem" that came up I would bail out and say "this isn't going to work."

I allowed the short term failure stop me dead in my tracks, because I allowed my mind to micromanage it to the point where it paralyzed me from taking anymore action because I started creating the "negative domino effect" in my mind.

Can you relate?

This would have NEVER happened if I truly committed 100% to the success of the project before starting it.

MJ never said it would be easy, but dammit you know that going through the ups and downs of building a fastlane business is 100% worth it!

The last "get your mind right" thing I want to say is... Never forget that you are a problem solver.

Entrepreneurs are problem solvers. Never let that escape your mind, and always run any fastlane idea you come up with through that "litmus test" question.

That looks something like this...

Does my idea to build XYZ business actually solve a problem or fulfill a desire for a specific group of people that is big enough to make my business a profitable venture that scales to millions?

You HAVE TO be honest with yourself when you ask this question about your idea, or else you will end up like I was before reading MJ's book (frustrated, trapped and irritated about everything I tried to build).

If you need some help with this step before dumping a lot of time and work into your idea, find people who are smart in your trusted circle of friends and ask them if they see the opportunity as well. They may even be people you have met in this forum.

2) Only Learn From People Who Have Been There and Done That

I recently purchased a $1000 training program on how to buy media profitably. If you are a newbie, and don't know what media buying is, it is another way to say "advertising."

Anyone who isn't an entrepreneur would look at me and say, "You spent what...on what?!"

To be honest, it was a freaking bargain because the people who created the product (a live interactive 6+ week training course), spend MILLIONS on media buying every year, and run 7 figure businesses in multiple niches.

Based on what I have learned in the course, there is no doubt in my mind that I will multiply my initial investment by an infinite amount based on the skills I have been learning and how to tweak campaigns.

The best part about the whole thing is that when you leverage the tactics with a fastlane business model, and know that you can spend X and generate Y...and can scale that ratio into millions...your business model becomes "buy media...then print money...buy media...print money" as many freaking times that you want. (more on that later).

I share this short story with you because the key distinction that I want you to get is that too many times in my past I was listening and learning from people who didn't have what I wanted, and they would lead me down a rabbit hole of frustration, failure and defeat.

Make sure that before you choose to learn/listen to anyone that they have the credibility and proof that they actually know what they are taking about. (MJ IS SOMEONE WHO I LISTEN TO...But that should be obvious shouldn't it?)

In the age of the internet where anyone can have a blog and "look" like an expert, it is essential to do your due diligence to confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that who you are learning from is someone that you know you can trust.

Even if you have to pay for the information...just make sure you NEVER learn from posers just trying to "make a quick buck off your ignorance!"

I know MJ talks about this in his book, but I want to bring it up again to reiterate the point, and to add to it.

I just have one thing to say...

Be passionate about serving a market with a solution that they need and want, and creating "market validation" for what you are offering.

Focus on creating that reality for yourself, instead of trying to sell something that doesn't have a market, or that you have to pull teeth with a lot of convincing to get people to buy.

4) Stop Trying to Sell a Product, and Instead Sell VALUE

As I stated above when I was explaining why I purchased the $1000 media buying course. These entrepreneurs who know their shit did an amazing job at positioning their offer to make it an absolute no brainer for people like me who "get" how valuable something like this is.

When looking at the product you are selling to build your fastlane business, think more about it from the eyes of your target customer. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself the question, "If I were in their shoes, would I buy what they are selling, and is it worth more in "value" than I am charging in $?"

A smart marketer has said... "Price is what you pay, value is what you get." (make sure value is greater than price for your offers...always).

Never lose sight of what you are REALLY selling, and make sure that you never violate the price/value law when positioning your services in the marketplace.

5) If You Don't Want to Build Your Product, Find Another Way To Make it Work (Stretch Yourself By Thinking Strategically and Creatively To Get What You Want)

I am not a coder, or have any desire to learn...no matter how many times I hear/read about how MJ learned how to code.

To be honest, I don't have the patience or steadfastness to sit down and learn that skill, and the thought of doing it makes me want to gauge my eyes out with metal letter opener.

So...I share this piece of wisdom with you because if you are like me, and don't want to code, find another way to build your software product if that is the vehicle you want to choose.

You are smart, and have the ability to solve this personal problem.

Let me give you some ideas...

You could find a coder, and partner with them on the venture. You can be responsible for the vision and layout of your idea, and you can work hand in hand with the coder to make it a reality. There are multiple ways to creatively structure deals like this depending on your circumstances.

Or you can "buy" a piece of software that is already built...

If you want to build a product based business that isn't within the software industry, again I am going to say...put your creative/strategic thinking cap on and FIND A WAY. There is always a way, you just have to figure it out!

Remember...if this shit was easy...everyone would do it!

6) Never Stop Networking and Building Relationships

I know this is one of those things you hear a lot, but the fact of the matter is that it is one of the most important things that I have ever learned.

Never think for a second that "you are good" with the size your network. Always be building new connections, and forging new friendships.

You NEVER know when these contacts will be able to create a win/win relationship with you, or introduce you to someone who will help you create more value for someone else.

With social media...it makes it even easier to stay connected.

So NO EXCUSES!

As I have stated throughout this post, before reading MJ's book I was constantly making the mistake of choosing the wrong vehicle which violated CENTS, or choosing a business which didn't solve a problem or fulfill a desire for a specific market.

Here's the lesson I want to make very clear...

Before you choose to dump a shitload of time and money into a venture, make sure that you are choosing the right car to drive in that won't blow up 10 feet from the finish line (liquidation event).

(Post continued in second post under this one due to too many characters)

THIS.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Awesome post. Thank you Scott.

theferrariboy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Oct 25, 2014
Nice. Too many people drink the "turn your hobby into a career" koolaid. It really narrows the possibilities!

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Great insight. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Last edited:

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I just finish reading the entire post. Thank you for all the motivation and inspiring lesson.

You are welcome man! What fastlane business are you currently building?

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Nice. Too many people drink the "turn your hobby into a career" koolaid. It really narrows the possibilities!

Yup! You got that right! And it also causes a lot of frustration, and makes people think they are the loser, when in reality the idea they chose to pursue had all the problems to begin with.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
my first post goes to you, good sir! Great read!

Awesome! What fastlane business are you currently building?

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI

Do you have a technical co-founder? I don't know of any examples where this actually works without giving away ~50% equity.

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
:hurray:Great advise. I got some ideas that I will put to work this week .

I am creating a would be fastlane in the education business.

Thank you so much for putting this writing down.

vap3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Nov 11, 2013
Awesome! What fastlane business are you currently building?

Drop shipping, and then hopefully build my media empire as I have a lot of ideas I want to pursue in the online world.
As soon as I make my first sale (and I have never made an online buck ever!), I'll be sure to make an encouragement thread just like this one!

Cheers bro and good luck in your ventures!

Joanne Greco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 29, 2011
USA

This is huge and I totally agree. Thanks for posting this - your tips are helpful reminders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Marked GOLD. Congrats Scott and thanks for sharing the wisdom of your journey.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Great synopsis of core fundamentals. I really enjoyed reading this. Took many notes to implement on my own!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.