The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Writing Ebooks

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Not that I've accomplished being a millionaire in one month, but the fascinating thing is buying into the reality of other people, or what people tell you about e-books on amazon.

1. People say the cover has to be the best. lol While this may be true, I'm not sure than why hundreds of people would read my book for free on promotion days.

2. Specific genres won't be read or sold. Those same books are specific genres not to waste your time on.

3. Advertise is a big part of it, because I notice that's the only time they're being read for the most part is when they're on promotion or being seen.

4. Than today all of a sudden a different pen name sold 31 copies over night without advertising but more of psychiatry/paranormal fiction that was basically just to see what people would say. Which no one has ever read my fiction really. It was a test for my novel that needs to be edited and published.

5. I didn't use an editor and just used my laptop Microsoft office

6. Reviews aren't there, but people read the stuff on promotions.

7. What I'm lacking is advertisement, but that is not possible right now other than social media. Submitting on promotion sites, and on website.

8. This is mostly all trial and error right now for the big one, but interesting that I'm not following the rules but still getting readers, the most 274.

9. Which comes down to in 30 days producing thirty books. Which is impossible to pay for covers and advertising on every book at this time. Which is why my sleep is screwed up.

10. I can produce a book a day, and yes link in the back. And I do laugh because it takes me 4 hours to write one book and have it on Amazon. Which you all said was advertising, producing more books. The laughing part is when I read books on Amazon on how to write 10,000 words in a week or different time frame. My bf kind of at first was like that's not fair to other writers because they work and only get one book out. Well than I said, correct they don't have the opportunity. I do. So, why waste the opportunity. No, I don't need to spam, so exactly why I've decided pen names are wonderful.

So, really I've made about $120.00 in one month. Just on e-books. Now to this is a lot of work submitting these books, and fortunately it's got to be two books to promote because otherwise, I'm just exhausting myself and than like the last week just be drained and do nothing from overload. lol

So, I'm not exactly convinced covers and reviews are the key here. Advertising is something to be worked on, and the one fiction book has no fan base. It's an interesting thing, because I could probably become a Stephen King if I worked hard enough and improved on my writing, which I am doing, and reading up on all the writing skills and grammar to freshen up.

For me I am able to maneuver through different types of writing, from poetry, to short stories, novel, and articles, and mindfulness, psychology, self help, metaphysical, etc. The thing is I've been studying it all for the last four years, philosophy, religions, quantum physics, law of attraction, all the stuff everyone else does. Mental toughness, sports psychology.

For me it is just simply testing and trial and error to see where my readers gravitate towards and and what sells and doesn't sell. What comments say. Pen names are limitless.

Part of it too is I already have a majority wrote from the last four years, so even if I don't feel like writing, it's just editing and revising.

Even on fivver if I paid for covers it would just cost a lot of money for those books at this time, and until I get money, it's simply ignoring that part, and can change them later.

It all sounds insane, but I need the money to get my novel published and that's the one that will take off. I suppose if I choose crowd funding the more I have out there for them to read, the more they will maybe help out with that.

I don't really know, because there aren't many options, but sitting on my writing and keeping it back isn't doing anything. Even if I'm selling a few copies versus none, is better. And I guess at first hearing M.J. say I would bet on the 50 e-books versus Babe Ruth, well I can be both. lol Which would you like me to be. Because I can be a small hitter or big hitter. It's just a matter of time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
upload_2014-10-31_8-43-16.png

upload_2014-10-31_8-46-7.png

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
upload_2014-10-31_8-55-47.png

These are the actual sales! The trick is how to I get that to go up more. Amazon already has these are the best selling ones by name when they bring up my name. And than I promote on twitter, google, facebook, tumblr, and few you tube videos, but haven't really sat down on that. Than about 100 or more submitting sites. It's $5.00=19.00 for one book to put them on the lists that are promoted to 100,000 to 350,000 twitters. lol I have lots of them companies following me to go that route. There's buying likes etc. But how many robots and not real followers. Than you said google ads, and facebook ads, but I don't have thousands of dollars for ads.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Thanks! Sorry! Was just trying to figure out how to advertise other ways! But I can keep reading books on Amazon, was just hoping to get opinions from others in the forum or ideas. It's nice to read tons of books, and I learn a lot, and videos, but sometimes nice to hear feedback from people.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Book covers are there to attract and get attention to your book. It doesn't sell books as in people buy a book because of the cover (it's very rare) but it does multiply attention you get. Therefore there is a correlation between better cover>better sales. Even a great cover won't fix bad description and reviews..

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Thanks Gym Junkie, I was thinking today maybe buy photoshop, because I've already been in two years of graphic arts. I've been watching some videos on you tube what they're doing for Smashwords. The one on the fiction book I did ask someone I know that has photoshop, but he said keep it the way it is, and he does a lot of art stuff. I was worried about that one the most because fiction covers seem to be quite different. Really wish Amazon had where you could tell where the traffic comes from because at least I could tell what's working and not working.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks Gym Junkie, I was thinking today maybe buy photoshop, because I've already been in two years of graphic arts. I've been watching some videos on you tube what they're doing for Smashwords. The one on the fiction book I did ask someone I know that has photoshop, but he said keep it the way it is, and he does a lot of art stuff. I was worried about that one the most because fiction covers seem to be quite different. Really wish Amazon had where you could tell where the traffic comes from because at least I could tell what's working and not working.

Non-fiction covers are way simplier, mostly. Sometimes super simple. But that doesn't mean they are always easy to do tho. Anyway, if you want to do them yourself, don't really watch SW videos, better go for real Photoshop tutorial videos and do different techniques. Maybe watch some magazine layout tutorials too for typography tips. Not a DIY fan but if you got education there, go for it..

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Thanks Gymjunkie, I didn't really think about that. Yes, it's kind of funny, because I didn't really think about I had gone to school for that, just never used it. I was a good photographer too. lol A lot of wasted time and talent, because I was dumb and listened to people tell me it was a waste of time. There's all kinds of things I can do to make money, it's just getting it going to get other things going. And I'll be grateful the day this all starts rolling so I can spread out like a spider and go different directions with art, writing, and coaching.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks Gymjunkie, I didn't really think about that. Yes, it's kind of funny, because I didn't really think about I had gone to school for that, just never used it. I was a good photographer too. lol A lot of wasted time and talent, because I was dumb and listened to people tell me it was a waste of time. There's all kinds of things I can do to make money, it's just getting it going to get other things going. And I'll be grateful the day this all starts rolling so I can spread out like a spider and go different directions with art, writing, and coaching.

I was similar, shame I didn't focus seriously on design earlier and went to study different thing. Anyway, it all worked out well in the end. So yeah, go get better and you can do it.. just don't overexpand too soon..

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The graphs say one thing to me.
Your marketting is great, but you at the end of the month actually got CONVERSIONS.
You flapped your wings just getting read, but when 30 people BOUGHT, it outweighed all the other attention combined.

Maybe you really should take a second look at what has happened here, not as a marketting failure but as an early CONVERSION success!
Your sales results are so detailed, it is almost like, you slowly rose to a peak, then steadied yourself and then slowed down into a conversion.
Maybe the results show a contrast between enthusiasm and tact? Or the value of tact over enthusiastic marketting?

Great job!!!
The learning has only just begun.

I can see why you are a bit speechless btw, its all a lot to take in.
Maybe try relaxing, and taking a second to look, then when you find anything encouraging, take action on it.

This looks great.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
http://www.electronicsli.com/
Is their any significance to this website. They listed ten of my books on here. Just wondered if other people know about it? Or experienced it?

I'm not sure if it's good or not to be on some of these other sites that are picking up my book, because I know I didn't submit them there, so I guess in one way it's good, but just checking them all, because I know some people sell your stuff.

Last edited:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania

We consider it pretty rude to talk about things like that.

Would you go up and ask someone in real life how much money they make per year? No, of course not.

It's no different for online entrepreneurs, but for whatever reason, some people seem to think if you make your money unconventionally, everyone else is obligated to know your finances.

pz4ever

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2014
Citizen of the world

Would you go up and ask someone in real life how much money they make per year? No, of course not.

It's no different for online entrepreneurs, but for whatever reason, some people seem to think if you make your money unconventionally, everyone else is obligated to know your finances.

Sorry, did not get the codex :) I'm new here.
Maybe I have been listening too much on the smart passive income podcast where everyone shares their figures and thought for some reason it might be the same style going on here. But maybe not :) Now I know!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't find it rude.

There's no obligation to respond if a person doesn't want to answer.

I'm not the OP but I have approximately 40 books published, of which about 30 are fiction, and as of last month I earned close to $2,000.

You should check out this thread for more what, where, and how much details from a ton of authors.

Apologies for getting off topic for a moment OP. :(

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Plenty of authors share their earning levels online. Not always exact numbers but still pretty accurate ones..

EDIT: There are also a lot of Earnings Reports online.. even live case studies being shared about earnings like WPCurve.com does and Pat Flynn does etc. Not saying it's smart but it's being done often..

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Plenty of authors share their earning levels online. Not always exact numbers but still pretty accurate ones..

EDIT: There are also a lot of Earnings Reports online.. even live case studies being shared about earnings like WPCurve.com does and Pat Flynn does etc. Not saying it's smart but it's being done often..

I have nothing against people sharing their earnings IF they want to.

I do consider it rude to ask someone though. You may see it differently.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I have nothing against people sharing their earnings IF they want to.

I do consider it rude to ask someone though. You may see it differently.

Asking is not making them answer it.. I don't think it's very smart to share earnings publicly, but sometimes, it's normal to ask in the right tone/intentions..

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hmm...a little excited at the moment. Not that anything has happen yet, but it would be nice if this social worker follows through that found one of my books and wants her clients to read it, and also sending the link to state mental health people to read it! :) We shall see! She was thinking that perhaps it would be helpful for many clients! We shall see! We shall see! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.