The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your Avatar=Your Brand

Risk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 24, 2014
Lurking this forum for a couple months I noticed that people with distinct avatars completely separated themselves from the pack. I thought this coincided perfectly with brand awareness.

You could have 10,000 posts and all the rep and knowledge in the world, but if you have a picture of sports car in your avatar, as a lurker I didn't remember you at all (keep in mind this is as an observer scrolling through the forums, not directly interacting with different people). But is this idea any different than a customer scanning the shelves at your local retail store?

Even if I didn't directly remember them "I'd be like oh ya I've seen that avatar before, I kind of remember the type of poster they are." And post count really didn't matter, if I'd seen it once I'd remember it. And people that kept their avvy for long periods of time became more and more engrained in my little reader brain.

Keep in mind I'm not trashing generic avatars at all and I know you don't care or put any effort into it, as you're not selling a product here (mine is the first Google search picture, ha). I'm just pointing an example of the consumer mindset. Just some observation on a Friday morning.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I find myself getting confused when people change their avatar. :(

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I guess my avatar says I come in fast, say what I need to say, then jet. No riff raff, just straight to the point.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My avatar before this one was my 'dream house'. Now it's a weird bear with 3d glasses.

I thought the avatar was weird and kinda funny. Plus, people will remember it. Hopefully as my posts become more and more valuable, people will begin to seek out the bear with 3d glasses. (My first 2,000 posts are pretty worthless to the forum, admittedly. LOL still learning how to lurk more)

I used to be here to learn how to x y and z. Now I'm here to help, even with my very limited experience in a couple of things. I mean, I'm still here to learn, but I'm more here to shoot the shit now because I like most of you cats and am looking forward to meeting you IRL.

I still have my own personal goals, including a nice house, a nice car (don't really want the Lambo anymore though!), and a relaxed life with lots of freedom and few worries, but I realized that my goals are honestly nobody's business but mine. Nobody cares what I want, they only really care what I can do for them.

Therefore, bear.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Mine comes from the last C&B and is a pic of some girls taking pictures of @nitroheadz28 and myself, who just finished climbing up onto some huge horse statues at PF Changs

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have this sign hanging in my office.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
I uploaded mine a few days after I had gone on a hike.

I suppose it could be interpreted as, "The Road Less Traveled."

Last edited:

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Mine is currently just the generic sports car you referred to :S

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Putin just rocks.

wzrd

The Creator
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 9, 2014
Portugal
People remember "unique", because it reminds there's something else to discover.

Interesting thread - As a forum user over the years I definitely make the association between the user and his avatar, wether generic or not. I guess you could see it as a smaller exercise of Personal Branding.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
hmm...mine just means I tend to watch a lot of people (goldfish) go around in circles and can't seem to jump out of the fish bowl (Matrix)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.