The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The All Time Top 3 Life Changing Books...

For any book discussion

pz4ever

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2014
Citizen of the world
Wow, so many great advice for books I have found here that I haven't read yet! Cannot wait to place an order!

My list is:
1. The millionaire fastlane - It has changed my life. The best entrepreneurial book I have ever read.
2. Secrets to the millionaire mind by T. Harv Eker - Changed my view on money to the better
3. Rich Dad Poor Dad - Changed my view on money to the better

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
1. The Millionaire Fastlane : Helped me set my path

2. Rich dad, Poor dad : This book gave me a perception of how money should be used.

3. 48 laws of Power : I learn a lot about people in this book and how we all yearn for power, whether we notice it or not.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
The first life changing book for me was "The Art of Exceptional Living" by Jim Rohn. It's a very captivating audiobook recorded by an inspirational speaker. I listened to it as if it was my favorite music CD for about 10 years. I wish I had met the man before he passed away. He was inspiring enough for me at that time.

The second life changing author was Ayn Rand. I started with The Fountainhead, then Atlas Shrugged, then the Virtue of Selfishness, then everything else that she has ever written, plus whatever else she should have written but didn't, that other people finished for her. Turned out Jim Rohn took 80% of his philosophy from Ayn Rand, yet didn't give her any credit. The remaining 20% of Jim Rohn's philosophy came from the Bible, which was just enough of poison to keep my mind confused. Ayn Rand fixed that once and for all.

Then came TMF . A topping on the cake.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Jim Rohn about the power of ideas:

“Ideas can be life-changing. And sometimes all you need is just one more in a series of good ideas.

It’s like dialing the numbers into the lock. You’ve got 5 or 6 numbers dialed into the lock, the lock still won’t come open, but you don’t need 5 or 6 more, you just need one more.

And a seminar can do it, a sermon can do it, the lyrics from a song could do it, a dialogue from a movie could do it, a conversation with a friend, might do it. That one last piece you need, that number, dial it into the lock, that’s it, the lock comes open, and there’s the door for you to walk through..."

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
TMF because not only did I learn a ton. I realized I was no longer alone. The things I had dreamed up were fairy tales crushed by old school slowlane tired closed minded parents and extended family whos advice boiled down to simmer down young man and stick to the plan. Become us. I found vibrant, youthful people who also thought the 5 for 2 was insane. That is no way to live. Glad to find the door to this place.

The Alchemist. This is a must read for anyone who thinks positive thinking can lead to a positive life. It has some Law of attraction type magic to it but it is certainly an eye opener of its own. A very calming book that sheds alot of light on things still very relevant today.

Secrets of the Millionaire mind T harv eker. This book further pushes the psychological part of money. And being barked at and always told to hit the clearance rack did things to my young mind. Watching my folks battle money head on is certainly apart of my financial conditioning. The "rich assholes" and the "they are so lucky" was creating a very hostile, bitter, envious young man. You do not have to be your parents. It was nice seeing that he had similar aspects of his childhood. he picks it apart and explains things.

Big mention to the 4HWW....Just being able to travel like him is going to be cool. I agree, for most people its "wut..." but I am sure I will use that book as a reference at some point in the future.

Just realized most of these books revolve around mindsets. Interesting. Will pick up and read a few of the ones mentioned.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
IF I SEE THE SAME BOOK GET MENTIONED AGAIN.......

I might buy it. (lol)

In no particular order (Excluding TMF , which we all should have read..)

1. The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
2. How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
3. Rich Dad Poor Dad (good for a base with financial knowledge)

Don David

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 19, 2015
Best books in the last year, not counting my rereading MFL for fourth time...

"A" students work for "C" students and "B" students work for the government by Kiyosaki

Takeaways, a perspective shifting idea that I'm not competing in this life with those "A" student accountants that can blow me out of the water academically, but with other "out of the box" thinkers.

Harvard commencement speech by Charlie Monger, http://www.rbcpa.com/mungerspeech_june_95.pdf
Kind of like the above Monger realized he would never be as good at science/math as the star student in his class so he decided to quite school and go into business, now he's a billionaire and one of the smartest men you could ever learn from. Read everything he writes.

And surprisingly enough, 10x Rule by Grant Cardone
Not a great writer but a great message. I'd never heard of this guy, but I am glad to have been exposed to him. Basically an old school salesman, got his start selling cars, then selling "how to sell" packages to car dealers.

His basic message is "When Lehman Brothers fell, we all became salesman... Everything I ever accomplished took 10x the amount of action I thought was required, 10x the hustle, 10x the hours, 10x the energy... Dream 10x bigger than you think you should, says his only regret was not dreaming big enough from the start.

MattJM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 16, 2015
If you really think that you can exchange a two years of hard work with one book and working by yourself, than you are literally really stupid.
If you think, that you can believe a Man, who even never did a one mba program, but is teaching it, than you are naive as 5 years old in addition.

Don't go to school, don't do mba. Yes, less producent a community of illiterated idiots.

In all honesty, everything I have learnt from my 3 year degree so far I could have learnt from a couple of books in much less time, and that's a shame but what's done is done.

Apart from TMF :

1. The Chimp Paradox
2. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
3. Psycho Cybernetics

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
The most important books are probably the ones I've read many times over many years. The Millionaire Fastlane is one I go back to (and will be reading shortly again).. here are 3 more:

Getting Things Done by David Allen - Best book on productivity I've read and has completely cleared my head when I was going insane from too much workload. I first read this in college and have since read it probably 8-10 times. Have adopted some systems that I've used for years from this book and help my business greatly.

Secrets of the Millionaire Mind - Another book that I've read many times and have even been to the free seminars (they try and up sell the shit out of you there of course but good value nonetheless). I grew up in a family with a poor mindset and this helped me change my thinking for the better over repetition. There are some great "wealth principles" that have been cemented in my lifestyle from this book.

The 4-hour workweek - This book gave me the realization that I wanted a business that I could operate from anywhere and detach my time from it. This philosophy has been my driving motivator for financial freedom. Will be reading again very soon.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Rich dad poor dad is another great BTW

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George - Read it when I was 10 or 11. Nothing to do with business but taught me lessons in freedom, self-reliance, and independence that not only served me well in business but once or twice, literally saved my life.
Think and Grow Rich - I was a 20 year high school old dropout, broke, unemployed, and living in my car. Wasn't much work as the country was in the grip of a huge recession. It was before the days of the big bookstores with the comfy chairs, but I used to hang out in the local Waldenbooks to escape the sweltering summer heat in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I'd sit on the floor between the bookshelves and read and nobody seemed to care. I was drawn to this little book, Think and Grow Rich. Good thing it didn't say "Work Hard and Grow Rich" because back then, I'd have definitely passed it up. "Think and Grow Rich," I thought. "Heck, I can do that!" So I started reading. Even though I only had a few dollars to my name, I bought the book. It's old and yellowed now, but still sits on my office bookshelf. In that edition the preface said something to the effect "This book may be worth a million dollars to you..." They lied. It was worth several million and it's still giving.
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Think and Grow Rich had already taken me from homeless vagabond to middle manager in a fortune 500 high tech company. But, I was still rough around the edges. How to win Friends and Influence People took me from middle manager to the executive suite and private jet, and along with Think and Grow Rich, to CEO of another high tech company.

Yes, life changing.

Cheers,
O-2

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George - Read it when I was 10 or 11. Nothing to do with business but taught me lessons in freedom, self-reliance, and independence that not only served me well in business but once or twice, literally saved my life.
Think and Grow Rich - I was a 20 year high school old dropout, broke, unemployed, and living in my car. Wasn't much work as the country was in the grip of a huge recession. It was before the days of the big bookstores with the comfy chairs, but I used to hang out in the local Waldenbooks to escape the sweltering summer heat in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I'd sit on the floor between the bookshelves and read and nobody seemed to care. I was drawn to this little book, Think and Grow Rich. Good thing it didn't say "Work Hard and Grow Rich" because back then, I'd have definitely passed it up. "Think and Grow Rich," I thought. "Heck, I can do that!" So I started reading. Even though I only had a few dollars to my name, I bought the book. It's old and yellowed now, but still sits on my office bookshelf. In that edition the preface said something to the effect "This book may be worth a million dollars to you..." They lied. It was worth several million and it's still giving.
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Think and Grow Rich had already taken me from homeless vagabond to middle manager in a fortune 500 high tech company. But, I was still rough around the edges. How to win Friends and Influence People took me from middle manager to the executive suite and private jet, and along with Think and Grow Rich, to CEO of another high tech company.

Yes, life changing.

Cheers,
O-2

I like your writing style. You should write a book of your own!

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
-The Millionaire Fastlane - M.J. De Marco
-The World of Lucid Dreaming - Steven LaBerge
- The Game - Neil Strauss

These three books are probably totally different from yours, but The World of Lucid Dreaming introduced me to a whole new world when i had cancer and The Game gave me the confidence i was lacking earlier, and The Millionaire Fastlane showed me that it´s not the circumstances, but you that make a difference.

co-heir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
May 3, 2013
Change is a process, so I believe that each one of these were never solely responsible for changing my life, but each gradually added important information and priceless lessons to take away.

Millionaire Fastlane and Rich Dad Poor Dad are undoubtedly the biggest kicks to the head.

Then,
1. Psycho-cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz : A plastic surgeon changes peoples faces and realizes why some people's personalities will change, while others won't. MUST READ. (most of Anthony Robbins stuff is based on this)
2. Way to Wealth by Benjamin Franklin: America's first millionaire shells out golden nuggets of wisdom in a compact little book.
3. Personal Power by Anthony Robbins : Audio series that breaks down human behavior, and how the mind functions.

These are just off the top of my head, I have a few gigs of books racked up in my read folder :cool:
poor richards almanacs also great

co-heir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
May 3, 2013
leader without a title
benjamin franklins biography

co-heir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
May 3, 2013
Not including MFL...

1. Atlas Shrugged - wealth is good, producers are good, individualism is good, reality is objective, mysticism and religion is dangerous, government intervention in business is a complete F*cking disaster pretty much always....

This book is a must read for anybody who wants to live with the benefits of free capitalism without the soul-crushing guilt that is so commonly associated with it. It will free your soul and ignite the boundless fire of passion that you had when you were a child. As far as books go it is well worth it to read the 1000+ pages contained within.

FYI it was written by a woman who emigrated to America after being born and raised in the poverty-stricken, communist Soviet Union - capitalistic America was like a wet dream in comparison. To put this in perspective, I am Canadian, but this book made me want to get a tattoo of the American Flag over my heart. That or the Dollar Sign. Fun Fact: The dollar sign was initially the sign of the United States. The U overlaid over the S.

2. The 50th Law - 50 Cent and Robert Greene: pretty hardcore Spartan approach to life, influenced by 50 Cent's experiences selling crack in Southside Queens, and then in the music business, as well as by co-author Robert Greene, author of '48 Laws of Power'.

3. Toss up between "The Art of Learning" by Josh Waitzkin and "Mastery" by George Leonard, which are both about the path of mastery, continuous learning, expansion of ability, etc.

Some runner ups: Think and Grow Rich, The Magic of Thinking Big, Double your Dating, How to Get Rich.
TWICE this week i read about ayan rands book "atlas shrugged" how good is it really??

PhotoKid95

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 24, 2015
Bay Area, CA

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I agree with most of the books listed above, but the books that affected me the most were a bunch of cheesy books by a guy named Tyler Hicks.

In hindsight, his books were of questionable business value, but they definitely had a "you can do it!" vibe. Wonky books like "How to Acquire $1-million in Income Real Estate in One Year Using Borrowed Money in Your Free Time" and "How to Make a Quick Fortune", helped me to start thinking outside the box.

Last edited:

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
1) The Millionaire Fastlane - This will give you a whole new perspective on the world and rewire your mindset

2) Ca$hvertising - One of the best copywriting books out there. Solid foundation for marketing and psychology

3) Ready, Fire, Aim - Different phases of building a business

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Nobody's mentioned it yet but Work the System by Sam Carpenter is an excellent book. Has good information on creating systems and mechanical step by step procedures when running a business. It's literally saved me hours of time and created more FREEDOM.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
TWICE this week i read about ayan rands book "atlas shrugged" how good is it really??
Atlas Shrugged is the most awesome philosophical work ever written. It is better than the Bible, and definitely better than any single academic book on Philosophy.

It is not a light casual reading. It's no good, if you start reading it and then drop it halfway. I almost got depressed by the midpoint when I first read it. But I knew Ayn Rand could not be a downer forever, so I persevered.

Why do you need Philosophy, and why do you need a correct philosophy? You can't be without a philosophy. Everyone already has some type of philosophy that they follow, be it religion, or their life experience, or something that they read in a magazine or heard their friends say. At the very beginning of their independent lifes everyone has already bought someone else's philosophy. The only question is: whose philosophy did you buy?

There were occasional moments of elation, even when I read it first. But reading it the second time around was a sheer pleasure.

Atlas Shrugged is a different thing to different people. Some, those who it rubbed the wrong way, and who it described way too precisely, hate it fiercely. But I think those people are in the minority, even though you'd start seeing them on the news daily after reading this book.

To me Atlas Shrugged is about happiness. It is about being happy, and about pursuing happiness the right way and the wrong way. It is also about the people who do not want you to be happy, and about the methods that they use on you, with your own consent. And the worst part is that you give this consent to them yourself voluntarily, whether consciously or subconsciously, and then hate and doubt yourself when their methods work against you to their advantage and not yours.

It's about contradictions that most people store deep within themselves. The contradictions that often push them to act against their own best interest. It shows you how to identify and eradicate those contradictions. The contradictions that stand in the way of achieving and experiencing your own happiness.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

Meh, watch the movies maybe to save time. For me this book is really vindictive and leaves people with a disdain for others. In my opinion that just leads people to a mentality of "us" and "them," where there's not a lot of room for love and understanding.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Meh, watch the movies maybe to save time. For me this book is really vindictive and leaves people with a disdain for others. In my opinion that just leads people to a mentality of "us" and "them," where there's not a lot of room for love and understanding.
Yeah, this advice can safely be ignored.

Watching movies might be a good intro, in fact watching the first of the three movies is what got me interested in the rest of Ayn Rand's work, but had I only limited myself to watching the movies there definitely wouldn't have been anything life changing watching them on TV. The books is what makes the difference. I read The Fountainhead, and then Atlas Shrugged, and I was hooked. Then I read everything else that Ayn Rand wrote, including The Virtue of Selfishness, and all the other non-fiction. And, as it is pretty obvious already, not everybody likes what they read in Ayn Rand's books. Similar to how many mainstream financial advisers probably do not like TMF and attempt to dismiss it as unimportant. The really good stuff is rarely universally popular.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
While buying listening material for my long drive to Scottsdale from L.A., last weekend, I came across the audiobook for the first title but ultimately grabbed something else. Your endorsement knocks it back to the top of the list on my next book shopping trip.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Nobody's mentioned it yet but Work the System by Sam Carpenter is an excellent book. Has good information on creating systems and mechanical step by step procedures when running a business. It's literally saved me hours of time and created more FREEDOM.
@The Duc recommended this book to me during a conversation at the meetup!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.