The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Copyright Infringement Including The Millionaire Fastlane

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Every couple of months I do a google search for my book titles and also the book titles which I own or inherited the exclusive rights to sell. I always find someone selling MY books.

This time I found several of my books on www.Scribd.com and a few other places.
It really pisses me off when this happens!

And ALL or part of The Millionaire Fastlane is on there too.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/183919363/The-40-Fastlane-Lifestyle-Guidelines

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244254043/Fastlane-milionera-pdf

https://www.scribd.com/doc/148806327/Gyorsitosav-a-Milliokhoz

MJ you can file a copyright infringement at
https://www.scribd.com/copyright

I wish there was a way to stop this!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
I already told them to Cease and Desist and take it down.

The problem is this month I found 6 of my books being sold in 2 different locations.
Next time I will find 12 in three different locations. etc etc

It is an ongoing battle!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
CFD, I hope you are not having to do it manually, you can set up alerts for certain sites you typically look on and just add multiple keywords and it will email you any time it finds something, then just send a DMCA out.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
It is what it is.

For better or worse ... there is no perfect solution.

Sorta like violent crime ... the police can take steps to combat it ... but eliminate it ...?

No chance.

Copyright infringement is going to happen.

Now it is up to you to decide ... how much time and effort you want to put into it.

No right or wrong answer.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
eh16qr.jpg

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It is even worse with photography as it is difficult to discover. I have stock images being ripped off all over the place, private web sites, China sourcing sites, eBay and Amazon. I used to fight it but it became too much hassle in the end.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Is this worth fighting and using your time? On writer forums people bring this up all the time, I have my stuff pirated... one can choose to see it as marketing.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
There is a London startup where you can set up certain keywords, and whenever it detects these keywords or your product in unauthorized websites, they send an automatic copyright complain to that website. I used this startup for a while, but for the life of mine I can't remember its name right now.

It basically automated the whole process of sending a copyright notice to the hosting websites and it usually took 2-5 business days to completely clean the web from my shared-stolen products.

It was pretty amazing.
That automatic copyright notification startup made a few million dollars last year but I can't remember its name already, damn it.

UPDATE:

I found it.
Here it is:
https://www.muso.com/anti-piracy/ :D

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've had the same problem in the past on Hubpages, but usually a bunch of them in the community would go after them together and they'd be down in a matter of few hours. They get down to tracing ip's and cell phones. Like others said it can be a job itself.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
There is a London startup where you can set up certain keywords, and whenever it detects these keywords or your product in unauthorized websites, they send an automatic copyright complain to that website. I used this startup for a while, but for the life of mine I can't remember its name right now.

It basically automated the whole process of sending a copyright notice to the hosting websites and it usually took 2-5 business days to completely clean the web from my shared-stolen products.

It was pretty amazing.
That automatic copyright notification startup made a few million dollars last year but I can't remember its name already, damn it.

UPDATE:

I found it.
Here it is:

I like this idea, but why would they not reveal the cost? It annoys the hell out of me when a service provider won't tell me the cost until I give them my information.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I like this idea, but why would they not reveal the cost? It annoys the hell out of me when a service provider won't tell me the cost until I give them my information.

7f7a39d93bd365c4cbf44d2c7e97e93f[1].png

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you. I don't think I have enough going on for that minimum, but I'll keep it in mind for later.

I never paid for it either but for someone who has a business going, that may be great.
It is free for a period of time when you register - my free period has expired already :p

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
Every couple of months I do a google search for my book titles and also the book titles which I own or inherited the exclusive rights to sell. I always find someone selling MY books.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/183919363/The-40-Fastlane-Lifestyle-Guidelines

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244254043/Fastlane-milionera-pdf

https://www.scribd.com/doc/148806327/Gyorsitosav-a-Milliokhoz

https://www.scribd.com/copyright

There's a lot of opportunity to create businesses that defend intellectual property in different niches. Coming from the music world, there are a TON out there that will send DMCAs for you if your music is being ripped off.

Google really bows down to the DMCA notices as well. You can also send them to the host for the website or the registrar.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
The problem with sending DMCA's is they are all published by chillingeffect so it's rather pointless. For example you send a DMCA to google to deindex a certain URL because of infringement, that same URL will be published on chillingeffect.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Also, with automated DMCAs you run the risk of killing someone's site/account who isn't actually violating your copyright. Is the automation smart enough to distinguish between a legitimate violation and fair use (a product review, for example)? There can potentially be legal issues with filing false claims as well.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

It was pretty amazing.

UPDATE:

I found it.
Here it is:

Bump.
Copyrights are good Fastlane barriers to entry.

fresh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Apr 28, 2017
NJ
Then you also have things like YouTube -- where somebody was stealing audio-books. I did take-down notices, but that meant they sent my private information (I write under pen names) to the person doing it. Lovely. They were taken down, but they'll probably go right back up like a lot of the pirating sites.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015

The 40 Fastlane Lifestyle Guidelines

Fastlane-milionera.pdf

Gyorsitosav a Milliokhoz

Copyright center | Scribd

Endemic problem.. At least with e-books it's cut and shut. Some of my digital products have been purchased with CLEARLY fake email addresses, no doubt for re-sale. Without purchasing every bit of software I find to test, I can't really prove it. All I can do is focus on my own sales and report and obvious dupes.

Submit a DMCA complaint - no response and after formal submission to the website's host (or website itself) the offending content will get taken down.

Funnily enough, I have just received a message from my host this morning that unless I remove a web page my account will be suspended - due to having a few references to an article from a UK newspaper (full credit given, I did not think this was contravene to the requirements but I guess they play a game of ''it will cost you to find out'')

The newspaper submitted a DMCA complaint..

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I had a black hatter tell me they found my book on a one of their black hat sites and was impressed enough that he felt compelled to come and buy it. It depends on what sort of book it is I suppose. With my kind of book people who would really appreciate it aren't the types who want to steal it (for the most part) and so the thieves and fences aren't really my target audience - they'd never had bought it anyway. I also include a few links inside going back to my website in case one of the thieves has a moment of regret.

But yeah, stealing sucks. It's not even all about the money always. Just the thought that some prick decided it was ok to steal and make it available to other thieves that urks me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.