The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newbie Importing and Selling on Amazon

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

Deleted2BB3x9

Hey guys.

I just want to say thank you to this community once again. Everybody is so humbling and responsive. I can't believe how much knowledge there is in the forum. Everything you need can be found in the forum. I'm eager to learn.

After my E-commerce business, I gained a lot of experience testing demand, competition, and validating a need. However I was unsuccessful in getting sales, so I have decided to move onto another project. My latest project will be Importing. Now it's been a bit since I started researching importing, i've been asking questions and soaking up everything I can. I feel prepared this time. I will be selling on Amazon, with FBA. My market has already been validated by products similar to mine. The differences are that I will offer a superior product in regards to quality and features of the product. My product also offers replacement parts instead of being disposable, so that will be a nice revenue stream from people who have already bought the product. I was thinking of bundling the replacement parts together, and am considering bundling the main product with some accessories.

After emailing manufacturers from China, I ordered 5 samples of one of their product models. They have two models, the one I ordered is already competing in the US and they also have another model which currently isn't being distributed. I will be competing in the US and I will also bring it into Canada. I will sell the other model when I get a bit more capital, and I get some sales. Earlier today, I just shipped 3 of my samples to Amazon in the US. I listed them under an existing listing so I could get an idea of what my competition is like. I can definitely improve the listing but I want to test volumes and speed. I will lose money as I'm not selling one, just to familiarize myself with my product and find out everything there is to know about my product. But when my 3 samples sell, I'll have a good idea of how valuable my product is, and how big it's pain point is. I have sold one in person too, to my grandmother lol, not really a real sale but my grandma loves it, she's been recommending my product and now her cousin wants one.

And that's just the first product! I have also found another product which solves a huge pain point. If this product really works it will be of huge value to people in my niche (also same niche as other product). I have not seen this product anywhere on amazon or ebay. They're are similar products to it but none of them are portable (mine is), which is a huge inconvenience, also the listing could be describing it a lot more, they are not taking advantage of the huge pain point. I ordered 15 samples, I am still waiting on their delivery as I shipped it through regular post. Once I receive them I will create a new listing and ship them out to Amazon.

In the meantime, I will be reading and browsing the forum. I appreciate any feedback. Will update you guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted2BB3x9

Decided to get a head start on my copy for my first product. So, i went on amazon and opened a new tab for every competing product. I started by analyzing my competitors, looking at what they were doing right and what they were doing wrong. Then I started writing some key points from all the reviews. A lot of them repeat themselves, so I could really emphasize these points. Right now, my copy outline looks like this:

(Brand Introduction)(Briefly Describe Uses)
(Briefly Describe Advantages and Effectiveness of Product, USP)
(Go into detail about who will use product, how to use it, before and after)
(Facts to back it up, Lab Tests, Utility, Speed)
(Go into detail about individual components and describe what they do for you, USP)
(Talk about Design, Patents, Convenience, USP)
(Tell them what they're missing and ask for action)

There's so many angles I could take with this product, I love it! The description will practically write itself, it will be filled with benefits and value for the customer. Honestly, I would buy one of these products myself, it offers a very nice solution to a big problem. There's no excuse for not turning this product into a winner, I just need to execute it correctly! Also, if anybody has any feedback about my rough draft outline I would appreciate it.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Just wanted to throw in a quick update...

My samples have just reached amazon's warehouse! They should be ready to sell in 24-48 hours.

Also, I'm currently editing my copy and making some final touches. I asked my family for some feedback on it, but they just kept telling me it was too long. I was thinking of using all 8000 characters allowed for the description... How long do you guys normally write descriptions for amazon?

After I'm done with the copy, I'm gonna get started on my product photos. I'll be building a lightbox like in JAJT's gold thread.

EDIT: Samples have been processed and are ready to sell.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

So now my copy is done, I'm still editing it though, it's currently above 8000 characters so I need to refine it. I'm also going to start taking my product photos. I just finished making my photo set-up. All I did was take an old poster I had and taped it to my bedroom door. I also attached a lamp I had to the side of my desk.
photo set up.jpeg photo set up lamp.jpeg
Right now my only dilemma is that to get branding on my product I will have to order 1000 units. I was thinking of only ordering 100 to start. I'll use 'company policy' as an excuse, like I read in Kak's ecommerce thread. I also plan to get some color changes, and will bundle my products to differentiate myself.

EDIT: I might have to hold taking my photos now, as I want to make sure nobody can copy my listing. I ordered a generic brand for my samples, and listed them on an already existing listing for this generic brand. But now I've improved the listing and want to make sure this competitor cannot sell on my listing.

P.S. 2 of my products are reserved now.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Update: My 3 samples are reserved.

I'm currently researching everything on branding that I can find. First, I'm going to find a good brand name, as I don't want to use my corporation name. Second, I will register for accounts on social media, and read about branding.
Third, hopefully talk to my manufacturer about branding, color changes.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

I just emailed my manufacturer. I should get a response by tomorrow morning. Also, my 3 samples are currently still in reserved, I'm starting to think they are just moving them to different warehouses.

Also, I haven't came up with a brand name, but I'm thinking of something like this:
"'Brand' 'Niche' Products"
I'd rather have a more general niche in my brand name, because I plan to scale, I currently have 2 products in a particular niche and plan on expanding more products in this niche.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Just got off the phone with my dad, (working out of province). He's supporting my progress. He liked the color change, the branding and the bundling idea. I'll probably be listing my products in a bundle, as none of my competitors are doing this.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Just downloaded facebook all in one marketing for dummies and twitter marketing for dummies. Probably gonna buy Instagram Power too, it seems to be a popular recommendation around here.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Looks like "company policy" didn't work. My manufacturer requires me to buy 3000 units if I want silk screening or a minimum of 3000$ if I want their logo on it. I think I might be dealing with a wholesaler and not a manufacturer. If I can't get my own logo on it I'll start bundling my listing, this differentiates me, but still leaves me vulnerable...

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Looks like "company policy" didn't work. My manufacturer requires me to buy 3000 units if I want silk screening or a minimum of 3000$ if I want their logo on it. I think I might be dealing with a wholesaler and not a manufacturer. If I can't get my own logo on it I'll start bundling my listing, this differentiates me, but still leaves me vulnerable...
You might actually be dealing with a manufacturer. Most can't do OEM for small quantities as their machines are set to create a specific amount each time (1000,3000,10000). That's why there's different minimum orders for OEM orders compared to their own brand. I had to purchase 1000 boxes for my own brand to be printed on the boxes.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Thanks for the reply MoneyDoc

Also just wondering, how much did getting the boxes with your own brand cost you? Did you sell their brand before to bootstrap? I can definitely not buy 3000 units...

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Thanks for the reply MoneyDoc

Also just wondering, how much did getting the boxes with your own brand cost you? Did you sell their brand before to bootstrap? I can definitely not buy 3000 units...
I needed the boxes to package my current product (clothing). Packaging is extremely cheap in china. I got 1000 boxes (with my own brand) for $0.35 a box.

But yeah, 3000 units looks unrealistic not just from a money perspective but the fact that you're not guaranteed to sell them all.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Update : 2 samples are still in reserved and 1 is missing...

Edit: Now 4 items are reserved, haha what's going on?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Rethinking my game plan. I might start importing my manufacturer's other product model instead. It has competition, but there's no other identical product competing. I could definitely add value to this product, the quality of features of this product are much better than anything else on the market.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Thanks man, and right now I'm not sure either lol. It either means a pending order or item verification.

armitage79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 7, 2012
Great job. It feels nice to make a sale! I also started on Amazon. I have to say the competition is getting fierce. Definitely do FBA ASAP. I am importing to USA and my freight forwarder is handling the FBA labeling and shipping. I don't want my supplier doing the labeling since they might get smart and go direct themselves. At the same time I am building a brand and also an Amazon webstore. Look into that, you should be able to drive ads and social media traffic there.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
Ben, are you marketing your product at all? Where at? Good job getting your first sale so quickly!

D

Deleted2BB3x9

No marketing so far. The only thing I did up to this point was list my 3 samples on an existing listing. I wouldn't recommend doing this though, I just did it to test demand. It's not a good long term strategy as it just starts a price war.

Right now I'm looking into branding, establishing myself on social media and building a brand website. However the problem is my manufacturer will only allow me to label my products if I order 3000 units. So it's hard to establish a brand when I can't get my brand on the item lol.

BTW if anybody knows, do most manufacturers have a logo in their mold? Their logo looks etched, so I said I can take care of etching myself, and the MOQ for 3000 units was for silk screening. But apparently, my manufacturer does not accept orders without their logo.

Edit: Might have found a way around my problem, I might start selling on ebay and just list the items as unbranded or on amazon.ca. They both don't any identical product competition.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Made my decision, i'm going to start selling my manufacturer's second model instead. It's overall just a better item, idk why I didn't order this one in the first place.

Anyway, I won't go into describing everything that's better about it, but it has no identical product competition. So nobody else is selling it. And while competition isn't bad, (I could have easily beat other vendors) I don't want them to start selling on my listing. And I couldn't brand so I had no protection. Instead I'm going to sell this model, it has no identical competition, better margins, and I'll be able to provide more value for this product.

I still couldn't get my own brand on it but eventually I will, I'll be able to reach the MOQ for branding quicker with this model. In the meantime, I'll be listing my items under my brand but once my customers receive it, it will just be manufacturer's brand. Most people shouldn't care as long as the item is good quality and functional (which it is).

I just placed a sample order of 7 units. I'll even be able to make a profit on my samples this time.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

CAM00047.jpg
Finally received my 2nd product samples today. This product is portable, and none of the competitors are. I can add a lot of value to the market. I ordered 15 samples to start with to test demand and price points. Now I need to write 2 advertisements lol.

My manufacturer also said that they can rebrand the product right away, so this will be the first product to be under my brand. I figured out a really nice brand name, and the name relates perfectly to my niche. Both of my products are in this niche and it is quite large, so once I plan to expand, i.e. Import more products. All of them will be in this niche. I'd rather have one big brand instead of a lot of small brands.

Also I'm currently reading Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook. Which talks about different social media platforms and branding. And I bought Instagram Power, Pinterest Power and Youtube Marketing Power. My brand is going to be established on social media and i'll get a website later on.

P.S. I checked DHL for tracking my other new samples, and it hasn't left Hong Kong yet. I'll email my other Manufacturer tonight.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Received my samples from my original manufacturer yesterday. I also just finished writing my product description, this time it's smaller, it's about a page and a half typed out on word.

My family was complaining about the description being long last time. Now my description is 5000 characters compared to the 8000 amazon allows.

Now I have to take product photos, then I can list the product on amazon.

I'm also going to look into shipping to amazon using UPS. I read in Vigilante's thread amazon offers discounted inbound shipping with UPS.

Not sure how much demand i'll get by just listing it, as this time it is a completely new listing. I'll probably try to get some traction going on social media, or maybe ask around and see if I can get friends and family to order one, to gain some quick rankings.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Whats your process for finding a niche or a product to sell?

I have been researching everyday for a while and everything I've looking at is either too saturated or has 20 year old websites that have been around forever.

My process is I research different hobbies and look at amazon categories and just browse products.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Whats your process for finding a niche or a product to sell?

I have been researching everyday for a while and everything I've looking at is either too saturated or has 20 year old websites that have been around forever.

My process is I research different hobbies and look at amazon categories and just browse products.

I found my products on alibaba. I started searching using some general keywords that apply to many items. So for example I would search "red" then look at every related item.

Also what do you mean by too saturated? The product I'm currently competing with has like 10 competing products. But i'm bringing something new to the market. If you can bring value into your market, the item doesn't matter. Find something that can be improved.

So I would look on amazon, find a best selling product. Then look on alibaba and see if you can find an item with better features or something you can improve.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

So now I'm going to be posting on social media. I got a bit overwhelmed on which one to start with but finally chose instagram.

The reason is because it seems like one of the best platform for brands and it's the most responsive. It's also great for starting out and creating brand awareness.

I think my first post will be the box that my sample came in. I'll also try to take some 'behind the scenes' shots and pictures related to my niche.

Also just finished Jab, Jab Jab, Right Hook and now will be reading Instagram Power.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

Quick update:

First post on social media is done, it was just a photo of something people in my niche would enjoy.

Product photos are done, I took 3, each one showcasing the different items that came in the box. I also plan to take some action shots but the 3 photos on a white back round is fine for now.

I also bought some UPCs.

Now I just need to fill out the listing on Amazon then I can ship it out.

Edit: Just found out UPS doesn't offer discount rates to amazon for international. So it doesn't apply for Canada.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.