The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The *New* Endangered Species... Your Job.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
We may be entering a more social economy, as amazon is eating into retail stores you are getting more and more coffee shops and restaurants opening up, people walk around town window shopping and going for lunch or a late. People will take more holidays so you need more hotels also as people will work less and the weekend wont be as powerful as it is now.

Sooner or later the weekend as we know it will be dead as there will be less and less 9-5 for 5 days, but more part time work based over the whole week. Full time will be considered like 30 hours a week max, and we will go back to having stay at home parents etc

BOTL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 15, 2014
I'm worried though.

Won't this eventually destroy the whole producer/consumer dichotomy?

As the reasoning goes (please correct me if I'm wrong)...

1. Everything gets automated eventually (even creative work). There'll be delays and resistance, but it happens.
2. Most/all people lose their jobs (often main source of income)
3. No income, no money to spend on goods/services offered by producers
4. Producers make less money (or might go out of business)
5. Consequently, the only way to make money is to do so within a small window of opportunity (either produce before your business gets automated or go to a technologically less advanced place and become a producer)

In the end, only a very few people become producers and stay there.

At least that's how I see it. Not trying to be negative or anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Maybe I exaggerated a tad, but he was talking about destroying "the whole producer/consumer dichotomy"... which I believe is a while away yet. And the thought process to get to that conclusion didn't factor in things such as products and labor becoming so cheap that you don't need a job or money to be a consumer. I'll just get my own producer robot and get him to make all the stuff I want.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Interesting article and I do agree, but jobs will be obsolete in certain industries and professions. People will have to reskill in new jobs

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yup. It's the way of the way of the world. Adapt or die. Always been that way, always will be. I remember seeing documentaries in my MBA classes in the early 90's about how computers were going to put everyone out of work. So much for those predictions:)

7elusal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 2, 2014
British Columbia
Arborists are secure. Thank the fates!

I've seen some machines that can polish off a pine tree down to ground level in seconds. Though would like to see a robot prune 100 foot trees. Securing rigging lines over houses, pools, decks, fences... lowering thousand pound chunks of wood. Cleaning up, removing all wood and branches from site.

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
Arborists are secure. Thank the fates!

I've seen some machines that can polish off a pine tree down to ground level in seconds. Though would like to see a robot prune 100 foot trees. Securing rigging lines over houses, pools, decks, fences... lowering thousand pound chunks of wood. Cleaning up, removing all wood and branches from site.

Machines already do all this, they just have a human controlling them.
Add some AI and some sensors and you'll have all this automated.

7elusal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 2, 2014
British Columbia
Machines already do all this, they just have a human controlling them.
Add some AI and some sensors and you'll have all this automated.

In Grandmas backyard with no access but a 30 inch gate on the side of the house?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
This video makes me SO EXCITED. The future is going to be a wonderful place.
I get REALLY angry at people who fear such changes. It's unfounded, selfish, and shortsighted.

The idea that "jobs" are even a thing or a concern is retarded.
I remember watching the news and there was a PersonOnStreet interview with a woman asking what she thought about global climate change. She said she was upset that it was even a political issue, she said it's not political, and that what the politics should be about is "Job Creation".

Lady, It's not anybody's F*cking problem to make sure YOU have a F*cking JOB.
JOB = Value you bring to society.
YOU figure out on your own how to bring value to your fellow human.

Even with everything automated, even with free labor, free energy, and free food all around the table and ALL the current 'jobs' stripped, You can STILL find a way to bring value to other people.

It's RETARDED if you think that the only way to earn a wage is to help OTHER PEOPLE do things THEY TELL YOU TO DO.
If you can't find a way to bring value to society BY YOURSELF... what is the point of you?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Nope. not a crown cleanup on a 100 foot tree.
Yes, a crown cleanup on a 100 foot tree.

Yes haircuts, yes chiropracty, yes detailed artistry and precision fine tuning of instruments.
It's not a theory or a pipe-dream. It's inevitable.

It's very romantic to cling to these soon-to-be relics. It doesn't have to be bad. I've been dreaming and crossing my fingers for this shit since middle school. The ENTIRE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT is going to change WITHIN OUR LIFETIMES.

The shit we're talking about right now doesn't even matter. It won't exist, it won't be a concern. It'll be a silly memory like wearing full metal armor into warzones.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
If you can't find a way to bring value to society BY YOURSELF... what is the point of you?
I'm going to say this because I've walked the walk and journey. People like you add no value to society when you demoralize human beings like I was in that drove around in car with fix a flat, a gas tank literally falling off a car, broken windshield wipers and sticking your head out the window hoping not to get in a car accident just to keep a job. Who fixed my car? Usually neighbors that were in the same boat adding value and sharing resources, because people like you said, put some rain-x on the windshield.

I could give you lots more examples of me jumping over hurdle after hurdle to get here and still jumping hurdles. I don't share my story for one reason. I'm bigger than my story or the people that were road blocks in my life and tried to tell me it was all my problem and issue. I probably won't be in this forum much longer, because of this kind of crap, and I'm sure in the future I will be a success because I worked my butt off every day for the last four years night and day to get there. It's not because I'm lazy, or unintelligent, or take action, it's because people have the same attitude is you. Thinking somehow you add value to society by saying what's the point of you.

I didn't ask for the situation I'm in, nor was it because of my actions that led to this situation. And I take responsibility for everyone else's choices and actions anyway, because I learned it's always my fault and I'm always to blame why other people choose to do what they do. It's been one hell of a journey to get here and my mindset and you talk like everyone has an easy path to becoming an entrepreneur especially where you came from where I did. And no I'm not play victim here. It's just stupid that I have the same mindset as most of the people in this forum and the only difference may be you have the resources as in money to do things right at this moment in time. And no I don't give a crap about how much money you have, I know my opportunity will arrive when it does. In the mean time I have to listen to people like you tell me I add no value to society because somehow you think you're better than the rest of the world.

And what I have learned is I don't ever want to treat people like you once I get there. Because I know how tough it is, I see people struggling and fighting to get there and the pain and suffering they're in, and sure there are some lazy people, and there are people like me that do everything they can to be where they want to be. It's all B.S. if you ask me, because every single person had to go through obstacles and hurdles to get here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here trying to make that path and maybe you were born in a rich family and never had to go through a lot of stuff, who knows, but obviously if you have, you've forgotten the journey.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Human jobs being taken over by robots/automation?

The company that I work for has just released the first "Smart cruise ship" in the world.
Replacing about 20 bar staff and bar tenders with ipads and robot-tenders (Robot bartenders) and Robot barstaff.

I am an entertainer, and lots of things get automated. Soon instead of hosting a gameshow or a quiz, all we need is 1 person in an office to load a gameshow and people participate with an interactive computer.

I think the following things will initially happen:
- Normal jobs get replaced by machines.
- For every 25 people fired, 1 new person will get a job.
- In the end the only people having jobs will be: Mechanics/engineers and Highly skilled people (in my field-entertainment- that would be the acrobats, ice skaters, dancers etc.)

G

Guest3722A

all we need is 1 person in an office to load a gameshow and people participate with an interactive computer.
Seems like a creative idea with huge fastlane potential. I'm willing to bet this would generate tons of interest and there's so much you can do with it. Heck you could even give it a lottery sorta feel and have millions of people running to their computers during showtime to see if they get selected to play. Possibly even challenge the viewership of the superbowl. Great idea imo

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
- In the end the only people having jobs will be: Mechanics/engineers and Highly skilled people (in my field-entertainment- that would be the acrobats, ice skaters, dancers etc.)

I think within the next 200 years we'll be living in a 99% entertainment/artistic economy.

Yes, robots can 'entertain' and do utility art, but knowing that a performance or piece of art reflects and relates to the human experience is why we seek it.

nordien1978

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 5, 2013
Every Industrie will see these kind of disruptions.
It is already happening, for example in the Banking sector people are replaced by servers/bots that can perform there tasks better, Internet Banking is used a lot by people.
I think the big sectors will have these disruptions the most if your performing a set of task in a job that the boss is telling you to do, then it can be automated, and the boss will try to find a cheaper solution.

Maybe the solution is that everyone will become entrepeneurs in there own niche, and try to solve needs/wants.

What would people do when we become the 2nd horse.

interesting video.

kind regards,
Nordien

brickco

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 6, 2015
Scenario A) Let's say there's a small planet with 10 people. The people basically survive by spending all their time producing the things that they need (food, shelter, etc).

Scenario B) One day, one of the people comes up with a way to automate all these processes so that it only takes one person to provide for the needs of everyone else. Everyone else has all of their time freed up now. They can focus on doing whatever they want. One person decides to make a game everyone can play, another person decides to learn how to play music for everyone, etc, etc.

Scenario B is better for everyone.

Obviously, in our world, the benefits would be skewed and some people would suffer while others gain disproportionately. But on average, Scenario B is better overall.

Any rich country has gone through this already to a certain extent and what has happened is that the more "surplus" there is, the more social netting is embedded. I'm more right wing than left, but I'm not too worried about a time when useless people can't get jobs. It will still be a net gain for the world.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
There's a few major issues with "robots are going to take all the jobs" that weren't mentioned.

First, people like to deal with people for a lot of things. You think you want to walk into a retail store and have a robot tell you about that new TV? Nope, neither would I. While it may be cool for a few minutes once the allure wears off, then it'll be extremely impersonal. Just like having a robot bartender. When it comes to dealing with things, most people would opt for a person, not a tin can with a voice box.

Secondly, we have no idea how we really think. That's the major hurdle with AI -- we just don't know how we do it. So far robots can only go so far to calculate probabilities, but they can't come up with any new concepts that require cognitive abilities. Sure they may be able to diagnose someones cancer accurately, but they'll never be able to realize it's a new form of cancer... at least until we understand how we do it ourselves and able to program it into a robot.

Thirdly, the interview. Yes while most of us hate it it's ingrained our corporations and societies. Instead of an interview you'll have a robot salesman trying to make a pitch at someone in the company. While this may work and already has, it'll be a long time before companies really embrace "hiring" a bunch of automatons rather than going their normal interview routes.

It's pretty inevitable that robots will become more of a part of our societies but the technology advancement and society changes that must occur are decades off unlike the impression the video gives. Even then they will never be able to replace good old fashion human face-to-face interactions that are ingrained into our psychology.

Last edited:

kph200

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 2, 2015
Pune, India
First, people like to deal with people for a lot of things

I agree with your opinion but robots can provide great assistance in service industries too. Let's say I go to Spain and I walk in to a restaurant, now I can't speak a word in Spanish but a bot can speak to me in my native language and read out all menu and take order.

The only point here is we are limited to our imagination.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I agree with your opinion but robots can provide great assistance in service industries too. Let's say I go to Spain and I walk in to a restaurant, now I can't speak a word in Spanish but a bot can speak to me in my native language and read out all menu and take order.

The only point here is we are limited to our imagination.

Agreed. Also to put it another way, just because a robot can do a job more efficiently & much cheaper doesn't mean it will pay dividends toward a business. An example in MJ's book is the phone automation. You call in, have to dial through so many options, or yell at the computer on the other end and just end up hating that system. As opposed to you dial in and a human answers and are shocked, then you get a customer for life.

The human factor is worth a *lot* so because of that I don't think robots are going to break into a lot of (customer facing) sectors much more than they are except for minor roles.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.