The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ready for the Slowlane - should I become a CPA?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

CPACurious

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 14, 2014
For the last few years I've been heavily involved in education. I'm 32 and I'm beginning to feel like if I'm going to make one last big career leap, now is the time to do it. I've always been interested in accounting and particularly in becoming a CPA.

I'm a bit of an introvert and basically looking for a job opportunity where I can make at least 40k a year and not have person-to-person interaction be the primary component of the job (which is why I'm feeling pretty burned out on working in education).

My only experience is a handful of undergraduate classes
I have an undergraduate degree in history and economics. I was also enrolled in an Economics MA program for a while but left due to personal reasons.

What would be the smartest way to approach this kind of career change?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think this is the wrong place for advice on this, as this is an entrepreneur forum where we all try to get and stay away from careers. Maybe try a CPA forum? I'm sure there's one somewhere on the internet..

OR you stick around and follow the white rabbit..

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Throw out your back up plan.

If you're trying to hedge your bets for a "job" - this isn't the place to ask.

I used to think I would go to Law School if I couldn't "make it" in business.

I threw out that backup plan last year, and I brought in more money than most lawyers.

Throw out the backup plan (job). If you aren't all in, you'll never make it.

R

redshep

How did you find this forum?

I'm beginning to feel like if I'm going to make one last big career leap
You're so young that you haven't done your last anything.

I'm a bit of an introvert and basically looking for a job opportunity where I can make at least 40k a year and not have person-to-person interaction
You have to develop a personality "mode" where you can approach people to see if you can help them. It's as true for a CPA as it is for an entrepreneur. I don't think you're helping anyone else get what they need.

There's no going back to the way we used to do things, even the "slowlane" as an option is going away. You can do something small for lots of people or something big for a few people, but not something small for a few people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

LRY

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 25, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm a CPA and its a good slow lane job. You can have your own firm, but then like someone mentioned, you have to have face to face interaction.

I'm actually in the process of building some tax products so it could be fastlane if you make it so.

Good Luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.