The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sidewalker Attempting to Escape

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Still researching, haven't found anything yet. Andrew from E CommerceFuel told me he sets aside a few weeks minimum to find a product, that it doesn't take an hour or a day. Kinda shocked me, a bit discouraging.

G

Guest3722A

Read Bio's ama thread. Read some more, the more I read, the more confused I get, people contradict what someone else said which makes you more confused and makes you research and read more, its a never ending spiral actually.
That pretty much sums up a majority of what's out there. It would be great if there was a filter of some sort that would focus in on things that truly work vs geography or advantage based. And a filter based on personal experience vs something I read experience

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
So let me get this straight, this progress thread is watching you trying to escape the slowlane but not actually starting a biz right? LOL. Restart this thread when you've actually taken some action.

What jockinbox says has a lot of value but apparently you don't understand what providing value means nor how to receive it.

As soon as I make $100 in a business, I'll buy an INSIDERS subscription.
You just won the forum's award for The Most Backwards Thinking Member of the Year.

From the sound of it you want to start a business ASAP without even having the right mindset. Seriously, stop looking for a niche or how to start a business and take a couple days to think honestly about your situation and assess your own mindset. Your reply after this will determine if you have potential.

In the spirit of Bruce Lee

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
So let me get this straight, this progress thread is watching you trying to escape the slowlane but not actually starting a biz right? LOL. Restart this thread when you've actually taken some action.

What jockinbox says has a lot of value but apparently you don't understand what providing value means nor how to receive it.

You just won the forum's award for The Most Backwards Thinking Member of the Year.

From the sound of it you want to start a business ASAP without even having the right mindset. Seriously, stop looking for a niche or how to start a business and take a couple days to think honestly about your situation and assess your own mindset. Your reply after this will determine if you have potential.

In the spirit of Bruce Lee

I'll stop posting.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I'll stop posting.

where did the fire from the fist page go....:dead:

firefighter-putting-out-fire.gif

merc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 12, 2014
I think there's a valuable lesson that can be learned here. To be an entrepreneur you must be able to accept criticism... especially if it is coming from someone who is successful. It may be tough to accept but if you can't live by this simple rule your just a wantrepreneur.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
How are you going about looking for a niche? How do you look for it? I don't understand how you can go, come back here half an hour later, and be surprised you didn't find a niche.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
D

Deleted2BB3x9

Hey TheGrind

Keep pushing man, don't let what other people say let you down. I had a lot of trouble at the beginning too. So just keep moving forward, don't get bummed out. Btw go reread jockinbox's advice, you may not understand it now, but you'll get it eventually.

The first thing you need to do is to change your mindset. Stop looking for a product that will "make you rich". You need to start thinking about other people and how you can help them, AKA adding value.

I think MJ has done a terrific job doing that, he's only in it for you. Look at this forum, this is by-far the best online community ever... You can literally talk with millionaires all over the globe, and get their advice... This forum is full of value (people helping people)! And you don't think you can help MJ out by giving him 100$?
Look at everything he has given you!

When you stop focusing on the money, and your selfish desires, you'll understand what entrepreneurship is all about... It's about people helping people... When you buy that INSIDERS subscription, you're not just helping MJ... You're helping yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
How about joining the inside? If your scared to spend a few bucks then business isnt for you

Tafy I completely understand that, however, theres also a degree of reality you have to embrace. If I spend 100 for the inside, thats another 100 in debt I'll be, higher monthly bills, more interest, more time its going to take to pay it off. However, I understand the point is to get on the inside to learn even more in debth materials. Which MIGHT lead to making back the 100 faster and more efficiently. I'm going to be spending any dime I can on buying samples and products from suppliers. That's my perspective.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
where did the fire from the fist page go....:dead:

firefighter-putting-out-fire.gif
He has a point that I should stop posting until I take action. I've been researching, technically thats taking action but at the same time I have accomplished anything. No results. No progress.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Hey @The Grind , it seams like you are putting a lot of effort in this so I will lend a hand.

Have you hustled a product before? Like buy something on craigslist and then re-sell it?

No I havent, I read the hustlers thread. I dont see the point in trying to flip stuff on craigslist when It would be more beneficial to spend the money starting an e commerce and learning from that. If I hustle on craigslist, that just pro longs the process for me.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
How are you going about looking for a niche? How do you look for it? I don't understand how you can go, come back here half an hour later, and be surprised you didn't find a niche.

I googled "how to find a product for e commerce" and such, read all those posts, and am going about it that way. I didn't say I was surprised I didn't find a niche in a half hour, I was surprised to find out it takes WEEKS to find one.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
He has a point that I should stop posting until I take action. I've been researching, technically thats taking action but at the same time I have accomplished anything. No results. No progress.
Showing up is 80 percent of life.
—Woody Allen (I don't really like him)
You have shown up.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
No I havent, I read the hustlers thread. I dont see the point in trying to flip stuff on craigslist when It would be more beneficial to spend the money starting an e commerce and learning from that. If I hustle on craigslist, that just pro longs the process for me.

I was trying to be gentle and guide you through the process. After all I have done it quite a few times :)

So the less gentle version: There are no shortcuts. You can't read your way to success. You must learn sales to succeed.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I was trying to be gentle and guide you through the process. After all I have done it quite a few times :)

So the less gentle version: There are no shortcuts. You can't read your way to success. You must learn sales to succeed.

I know there's no shortcuts that's why I'm trying to start a business so i can start learning lol.

I know sales, I've read many books on selling and copy, ( i study and write copy everyday ). And I work 2 sales jobs, 60 hours a week. One is cold calling and the other is door to door, the 2 most difficult types of selling.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I found 2 very good guides on the entire process, however it doesn't say you shouldn't import from China, which is what I read here, people say "do not import from China, shipping takes way too long and your customers will hate it". I don't see any suppliers in the US.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I googled "how to find a product for e commerce" and such, read all those posts, and am going about it that way. I didn't say I was surprised I didn't find a niche in a half hour, I was surprised to find out it takes WEEKS to find one.

If you've read TMF or any other business book, including good copywriting books... you know you should be looking for a NEED. Not "how to find a product for e-commerce". A need can be an unsatisfied need (no product solving it currently), or something that's already selling a lot (proving there's a need) and making it better, or selling it cheaper under your own brand.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
If you've read TMF or any other business book, including good copywriting books... you know you should be looking for a NEED. Not "how to find a product for e-commerce". A need can be an unsatisfied need (no product solving it currently), or something that's already selling a lot (proving there's a need) and making it better, or selling it cheaper under your own brand.

Yes I'm aware of all that, I never said I wasn't looking for a "need". People ALSO buy things they WANT, and not what they might NEED. My searching consists of both. I'm just having trouble "seeing the angle" with a product. Also finding real specific niche products. Obviously selling an electronic or anything that can be bought at walmart is just foolish.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Well yeah... Finding a need, and finding a want are used interchangeably in these books... nobody's talking about needs as in things people need in the absolute; Seeing an angle can be:

1. offering better customer service...
  2. making the product easier to use...
  3. making it cheaper with the same quality...
  4. offering better quality but more expensive...
  5. making it more convenient to order/obtain...
  6. making it look better...
  7. making it smaller if the other product is too big...
  8. making it bigger if the other product is too small...
  9. remove toxic material (for example BPA) from a product that traditionally uses it...
  10. marketing an organic/natural version of a product that's usually not sold organic...
  11. take some technology that is applied to something and finding ways it can be used somewhere else...
  12. making something that doesn't break as easy if the other product used to break easily and people complained about that...etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc

Last edited:

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Well yeah... Finding a need, and finding a want are used interchangeably in these books... nobody's talking about needs as in things people need in the absolute; Seeing an angle can be:

1. offering better customer service...
  2. making the product easier to use...
  3. making it cheaper with the same quality...
  4. offering better quality but more expensive...
  5. making it more convenient to order/obtain...
  6. making it look better...
  7. making it smaller if the other product is too big...
  8. making it bigger if the other product is too small...
  9. remove toxic material (for example BPA) from a product that traditionally uses it...
  10. marketing an organic version of a product that's usually not sold organic...
  11. take some technology that is applied to something and finding ways it can be used somewhere else...
  12. making something that doesn't break as easy if the other product used to break easily and people complained about that...etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc
This is the kind of gold post that makes a thread worth it! Taking notes.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I've been researching everyday, haven't found anything that seemed to be a good risk. I'll post back if I find something.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Found a product to try, emailed the few suppliers that sell it on Alibaba, been waiting 2 days for replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.