The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Unique Marketing and Branding Ideas

Idea threads

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am a college dropout, because I flunked out, have all the plans to go back, but I will be paying this time around instead of my parents. In the meanwhile, I have a very unique SEO service I am working on expanding into a successful startup.

I have some issues.

My budget for my company is 300-500 dollars right now currently. (to spend on)

I don't have a huge client base, my next campaign is targeting around 40 prospects, of diversified qualifications, so I have to target each group differently.

I feel like my marketing is decent, but I do have some questions for the experienced and successful. Now I need the questions and issues to be helped with in the bullet points.

• Does the color of the envelope in mail marketing make a difference? Should this be tied in with branding?

• Also I need some help with some unique branding ideas. I do mail marketing campaigns, and I send out colored envelopes to the big fish I am after.

• Where can I find a good image or a person that can brand a company logo and throw in a motto or something for a decent price due to my budget? I have a very basic clipart logo (Lol) right now.

• After I send out campaigns, sometimes it ends up going to the wrong person (even though I try to target accurately), so the person I follow up with a call to tells me to talk to so and so, and transfers me to him/her. Then often, that person at that very time is not in the office, so I have to call back. Now the issue is that I don't know if the original person forwarded my mail pieces to that correct person or not, would it be wise in this position, to send a "follow up" letter that explains the situation as well as fills in the objective of the follow up letter and then call that person? If not, then what would be the best thing? Because keep in mind, that person may not be aware, the follow up letter would get them to ask about the envelope, and therefore be aware of the original letter and contents I put in. Even if they don't see the envelope, they would get a summary of it, and I would tell them that the person who transferred me was interested and therefore told me to talk to them.

I welcome any help, but be mindful that I was very detailed in my post, so i really want a detailed answer. Detailed as in addressing my concerns directly in the same individual complete manner, not a long post always.

Thanks a lot guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Latro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 10, 2014
Where can I find a good image or a person that can brand a company logo and throw in a motto or something for a decent price due to my budget? I have a very basic clipart logo (Lol) right now.

Try Fiverr.com for this.

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Looks like you are doing direct mail promotions. Look, a lot of us completed 30 day copyright challenge by Gary Halbert, mega monster of copy and marketing and he talks a lot about direct mail. One of us (including me) can help you. I can help you for free (well for testimonial), but you have to be open minded, because what I will tell you will be slightly different from what you want to hear maybe.

Anyway, I am traveling around Bolivia for now, but will try to help you if you are interested. Drop me a PM

Josh from SD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2014
San Diego, CA
So $500 for 40 prospects or basically $12.50 cents per prospect to spend. My recommendation is to narrow your list to the best 10 prospects that you know will benefit most from your service. Now you can spend $50 per prospect. Find out everything you can about these companies and more importantly who the decision maker is. Do this before even trying to market to them, since you have such a limited budget.

For your mailings, do a 3 step campaign, I've had success with the following:
(Since this is such a small list - your copy to these people needs to be very customized for their business. Show them exactly
how you can help them.)

Mailing #1- Handwritten letter, plain envelope with handwritten address, crooked stamp. Write on the front of the envelope
the decision maker's first name and something like: Joe, I need to hear back before Friday. (this will help get this directly into Joe's hands)

Mailing #2- Bank bag mailer - with $1 bill stapled to the front of your sale letter. You can see an example of a bank bag here:
You'll need to find a supplier that will let you individually order vs bulk. http://3dmailresults.com/product/bank-bag/

Mailing #3- Trash can mailer - http://3dmailresults.com/product/trash-can-self-mailer/ Again you need to see if you can
get these individually and not bulk due to your budget constraints. But crinkle up your sales letter and put it in the trash can
and tape the lid shut. This definately gets attention.

Obviously - you need to have good sales copy on your letter or whatever your sending. So key #1 is to get your mail opened. Key #2 get it read. Key #3 get them to take action.

Last - You could always just prepare one big Shock & Awe box and mail to these 10 prospects. For $50 a prospect you could put some good stuff in this box. For example - I just got a shock & awe box from my newsletter vendor. The box was huge and purple. Inside was a handwritten personal letter thanking me for being a customer. Then they had a wood desk plague that had a motivational quote on it, a welcome guide to their company with bios on each staff member, popcorn, water thermos, salsa, chips, soap and scones. Pretty random but here I am writing about it....

Hope this helps....

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Basically what Josh said. First make sure the letter gets opened. But I would only type it, no handwritten material, your letter should look personal but professional!

I would mail to all 40 prospects, would include a grabber, but then your copy should explain this grabber.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Pick up Ca$hvertising. Great book

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Hmmm, long time ago I tried to research the author of this book. Looks like he does not practice what he preaches, aka, not a player. And like GH said, "it is equally important to read some good books and not read OTHER bad books". If anything, I would recommend Boron Letters and Boron Letters 2.0

Edgesavvy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 1, 2014
See answers in green...
1.Yes. The color does not need to be tied in with the branding. The color is to increase the open rate. I don't know your industry or product, so I cannot really comment on what may working or not in direct mailing.
2.Again, details on product/service would help. Also, envelopes will not make people buy, they're just for eye attraction. What's inside (write up) and call to action needs to be good too.
3.try elance and other online bidding sites.
4. My guess is you're buying the lists.4.
You need to understand that in direct mailing you may need at least 3 "touches" (3 letters) to get people to buy. Usually it is very hard to get the buy in from the 1st one.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am a college dropout, because I flunked out, have all the plans to go back, but I will be paying this time around instead of my parents. In the meanwhile, I have a very unique SEO service I am working on expanding into a successful startup.

I have some issues.

My budget for my company is 300-500 dollars right now currently. (to spend on)

I don't have a huge client base, my next campaign is targeting around 40 prospects, of diversified qualifications, so I have to target each group differently.

I feel like my marketing is decent, but I do have some questions for the experienced and successful. Now I need the questions and issues to be helped with in the bullet points.

• 1. Does the color of the envelope in mail marketing make a difference? Should this be tied in with branding?
Yes. The color does not need to be tied in with the branding. The color is to increase the open rate. I don't know your industry or product, so I cannot really comment on what may working or not in direct mailing.
  • 2.Also I need some help with some unique branding ideas. I do mail marketing campaigns, and I send out colored envelopes to the big fish I am after.
Again, details on product/service would help. Also, envelopes will not make people buy, they're just for eye attraction. What's inside (write up) and call to action needs to be good too.
  • 3.Where can I find a good image or a person that can brand a company logo and throw in a motto or something for a decent price due to my budget? I have a very basic clipart logo (Lol) right now.
try elance and other online bidding sites.
  • 4.After I send out campaigns, sometimes it ends up going to the wrong person (even though I try to target accurately), so the person I follow up with a call to tells me to talk to so and so, and transfers me to him/her. Then often, that person at that very time is not in the office, so I have to call back. Now the issue is that I don't know if the original person forwarded my mail pieces to that correct person or not, would it be wise in this position, to send a "follow up" letter that explains the situation as well as fills in the objective of the follow up letter and then call that person? If not, then what would be the best thing? Because keep in mind, that person may not be aware, the follow up letter would get them to ask about the envelope, and therefore be aware of the original letter and contents I put in. Even if they don't see the envelope, they would get a summary of it, and I would tell them that the person who transferred me was interested and therefore told me to talk to them.
My guess is you're buying the lists.
You need to understand that in direct mailing you may need at least 3 "touches" (3 letters) to get people to buy. Usually it is very hard to get the buy in from the 1st one.

I welcome any help, but be mindful that I was very detailed in my post, so i really want a detailed answer. Detailed as in addressing my concerns directly in the same individual complete manner, not a long post always.

Thanks a lot guys

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I understand I lacked some details so I will fill you guys in. I am just really busy at the moment, but I'll get to it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.