The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Acquiring Expired Domains & Redemption Periods

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
Does anyone have any experience in acquiring domains that someone else has let expire?

I found a domain I'd like to acquire, but the registration says the following:

Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Creation Date: 13-JAN-2012
Updated Date: 24-FEB-2014
Expiration Date: 13-JAN-2014

Nameserver: NS05.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Nameserver: NS06.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Registry Status: redemptionPeriod

After looking up some information on GoDaddy they state that there is a 42 day redemption period and then the domain will go to GoDaddy domain auction. If it does not sell it will be released for registration like any other domain.

Questions...
1. When does the redemption period start? Per the information above it expired 1/13/14. To me that means it's on day 46 or 47 and still says it's in a redemption period.

2. Have you ever dealt with the GoDaddy domain auction process? What is it like? How doe sit work? Are the prices reasonable?

3. Are there any other options? Waiting around for the process to play out sucks!

Any insight on acquiring domains this way would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser3

If the domain is just a nice to have, backorder it on Snapnames.

If the domain is important to you and you want the best chance of getting it, you'll want to familiarize yourself with the backorder process on Snapnames, Pool and Namejet so you can do it quickly, then in a time window of 10-20 minutes before the domain drops, backorder it on all 3 services.

That way you have the best chance of staying under the radar of pro dropcatchers, many of whom have their own domain reg company fronts and get direct API access.

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
Thanks guys, That wasn't as expensive or complicated as I thought it would be originally.

I called GoDaddy for more information as the domain is registered there and they basically couldn't tell me what the hold up was even though it's outside their traditional redemption period. The rep could only say ICANN has been slowing things down as they are instating new policies and what not.

I ended up back-ordering it which only costs $20, which is cheap considering I thought it would be $60+.

For anyone interested for $20 you get the following...

You get updates any changes/updates are made to the domain.
If the domain does get renewed within 45 days (I think he said) you get refunded the money.
The domain will not go to auction in which most times you'll end up paying more and if there is a bidding war...
No waiting. If it moves from the redemption period it will be transferred to me. No waiting for auction period or pre-release period before it can be registered again.
The rep didn't seem too confident, but I asked what if someone else backorders it, and he said it was on a first come first serve... I am first.

I was going to wait it out, but for $20 I can move the process along, cut down on the wait time and competition. Worth it.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser3

Well yes, it's on a "first come, first serve" basis... But that goes for the registrars too and Godaddy is unlikely to get it if there's any competition. Even though it is the current registrar.

Also, the domain will go up for auction no matter what the sales rep says. GD puts all backordered domains up for auction.

"All backordered domains go through an auction process. If you are the first to backorder a specific domain, we'll use your backorder payment to place the opening bid – no additional charges are made." http://www.godaddy.com/domainaddon/domain-backorders.aspx

If the difference between $20 or $60 is a key factor, you'll do alright with GD. You have a good chance of getting the domain. It all depends on how desirable it is. Then again, if nobody else wants it, you could simply register it by hand for <$10.

G

Guest3722A

I'm bumping this thread up because I have a question about a domain name that I've been watching for a few months now. This domain is in redemption period, and if I'm right, the redemption will expire in the next couple of days.

I currently own the hyphenated dot com and someone had contacted me trying to see if I wanted the non-hyphenated one. That smelled like a pitch to me so I didn't respond.

I recently placed a back-order with ***** and after reading some of the comments here, I probably should have waited a little longer. Currently it is registered with go daddy, and this name is very important to me.

Was it a mistake for me to place this order at this time/is my order not up on a screen somewhere that the public can see, and how can I guarantee that I get it without spending a ton of dough on a middleman?

Also, is there an additional waiting period after the redemption expires, or will it be set free at that time?

Last edited by a moderator:

krnekdo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jul 29, 2014
Usually how it goes on GD is that when a domain expires it is put to a public auction. The auction ends usually a week before the redemption period ends so if you are the winner you need to wait that time if the previous registrant decides to renew it. If they don't, then you are the winner and you get your domain.

As for backorders, I don't know how that goes, but if the domain is registered with GD then I am almost certain that GD will also be the one to catch it and not Snapnames or Namejet..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.