The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Out of a Funk - a Newbie's Journey In Self Publishing

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I guess I write in spurts. Sort of slow going this last week. I think I'm around 42,000 I better get moving. I need to make specific goals. So need to b at 45,000 by 10/2- maybe that will keep me on task

Check - I am at 45,000 as of last night.

New Goal: 48,000 by 10/5/14

Can already see that I have a lot...lot, lot, lot of rewriting to do after this first draft...lot...still telling instead of showing %%$$##@!!!!

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
Today we are equal partners in fiction writing,

not to hijack the thread, but how do you guys split the income?

I know amazon requires a SSN- who''s account do you use? Was considering this but I'm unsure how taxes work, etc.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
not to hijack the thread, but how do you guys split the income?

I know amazon requires a SSN- who''s account do you use? Was considering this but I'm unsure how taxes work, etc.
He made a new account with Amazon, uses his tax info (he's from Australia), shares the user name and password with me so I can see reports. He sends me half the royalty after we discuss and agree on it, and I'm responsible for my own taxes, he for his. It probably isn't the most business-like arrangement, but it's working for us.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I missed my 10/12 goal. I have back tracked. I am not sure what the other writers will think of it but I just had to go back to my first book and begin a re-write. Over the months I've read several books on showing and not telling, am listening to some CD's about being a better writer. I listen on my way to work. I have one of those minds that if I don't constantly pump positive info into it...I go off the tracks a little. Well, listening to audio about how to be a better writer I'm not sure is really uplifting. As I'm driving I'm thinking "Shit, my first go at this was maybe even less than mediocre." I can't stand it. I am at 50,125 on my new book. I hit a little wall. I just have this voice beating me up about the first book and that I need to fix it...to whatever degree I can. I'm about half way through and of course I know...I could do it 50 more times and not be happy but I feel that adding some new knowledge and correcting some ...no, a lot of "telling" will make me feel better.

I do wonder...maybe I'm not really a writer. I don't know what I'm doing, seriously. That said, still not going to throw in the towel or anything like that. I'm hoping my second book will do better than the first. If publishing the second book increases sales of the first, I want the readers to get something ...well good. So, I don't even know what goal to put down. I have written about 2000 additional words in my first book. I'll be working on both today. That's where I'm at.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
You are definitely a real writer. If you didn't care about the quality, that would make you not a real writer. No 'real writer' pounds out a perfect first draft. Those who have found success with traditional publishing typically go through an extensive revision (what you're calling a re-write) before sending it to a developmental editor, who suggests more revisions. After they've made those, it gets sent to a copy editor, who will make even more suggestions, this time mostly having to do with grammar and sentence structure issues. When the writer has made those changes, it finally goes to a proofreader, sometimes two, to find the errors that no one else saw or mentioned. Only then is the book you see on the shelves ready for printing - into galleys - and sending to beta readers. That's why it takes months if not years to see a book in print.

Indie-published authors tend to fall into two or three groups, I've observed. The first group writes something and publishes it without ever looking at it again. If there were any justice in the world, those books wouldn't gain any attention and you'd never find them to waste your money on them. Sadly, there ain't no justice, as some famous sci-fi author liked to shorthand as TANJ. Some of them reach Top 100 status even though they are virtually unreadable, but I'm not here to rant about that.

The next group makes an effort...they line-edit their own work, and those may be a little better, assuming the writer has a decent grasp of grammar and spelling.

The third group has someone else take a look at the book and the quality varies based on who that else is. Those who can afford it hire independent developmental editors, copy editors and proofreaders to help them polish the book. and it shows. Those who can't (yours truly, for example) make an effort to at least learn what those people do and attempt to do it themselves. You'd be surprised how much you can improve your own book that way.

I'm taking a course from Holly Lisle called How to Revise Your Novel. The very first exercise is to print out your manuscript and go through it looking for the places that don't work. You can find a useful article free on her website here. http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/ If you can afford the course, it's even more helpful, because each of the items on which Ms. Lisle writes a paragraph or so in this article is a weekly lesson in the course. It's hard work, but I'm finding it enjoyable. I've discovered that I started my WIP several chapters too early, which would have turned off anyone doing a Look Inside on Amazon.

As for stopping one book's first draft to revise an already-published book, I haven't done that. I do want to revise the first novel under my new pen name, but that would totally screw my schedule, which has me writing the second book in my new series in November, for NaNoWriMo. Meanwhile, I am revising the first book of the series. I wanted to publish that one at the end of this month. My best guess for when it will be ready is end of January, after which that first stand-alone will get some attention before I revise the second book in the series. Am I disappointed in the delay? You betcha. Do I think it necessary? Absolutely.

So, I'm with you, girl, whatever your decision. When you've done a serious and professional-quality revision of one book, the next one you write will be better. And the more you write and revise, the cleaner your books will be. Onward and upward, I say!

Sorry for the long post--I happen to be passionate about this topic. :)

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
You are definitely a real writer. If you didn't care about the quality, that would make you not a real writer. No 'real writer' pounds out a perfect first draft. Those who have found success with traditional publishing typically go through an extensive revision (what you're calling a re-write) before sending it to a developmental editor, who suggests more revisions. After they've made those, it gets sent to a copy editor, who will make even more suggestions, this time mostly having to do with grammar and sentence structure issues. When the writer has made those changes, it finally goes to a proofreader, sometimes two, to find the errors that no one else saw or mentioned. Only then is the book you see on the shelves ready for printing - into galleys - and sending to beta readers. That's why it takes months if not years to see a book in print.

Indie-published authors tend to fall into two or three groups, I've observed. The first group writes something and publishes it without ever looking at it again. If there were any justice in the world, those books wouldn't gain any attention and you'd never find them to waste your money on them. Sadly, there ain't no justice, as some famous sci-fi author liked to shorthand as TANJ. Some of them reach Top 100 status even though they are virtually unreadable, but I'm not here to rant about that.

The next group makes an effort...they line-edit their own work, and those may be a little better, assuming the writer has a decent grasp of grammar and spelling.

The third group has someone else take a look at the book and the quality varies based on who that else is. Those who can afford it hire independent developmental editors, copy editors and proofreaders to help them polish the book. and it shows. Those who can't (yours truly, for example) make an effort to at least learn what those people do and attempt to do it themselves. You'd be surprised how much you can improve your own book that way.

I'm taking a course from Holly Lisle called How to Revise Your Novel. The very first exercise is to print out your manuscript and go through it looking for the places that don't work. You can find a useful article free on her website here. http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/ If you can afford the course, it's even more helpful, because each of the items on which Ms. Lisle writes a paragraph or so in this article is a weekly lesson in the course. It's hard work, but I'm finding it enjoyable. I've discovered that I started my WIP several chapters too early, which would have turned off anyone doing a Look Inside on Amazon.

As for stopping one book's first draft to revise an already-published book, I haven't done that. I do want to revise the first novel under my new pen name, but that would totally screw my schedule, which has me writing the second book in my new series in November, for NaNoWriMo. Meanwhile, I am revising the first book of the series. I wanted to publish that one at the end of this month. My best guess for when it will be ready is end of January, after which that first stand-alone will get some attention before I revise the second book in the series. Am I disappointed in the delay? You betcha. Do I think it necessary? Absolutely.

So, I'm with you, girl, whatever your decision. When you've done a serious and professional-quality revision of one book, the next one you write will be better. And the more you write and revise, the cleaner your books will be. Onward and upward, I say!

Sorry for the long post--I happen to be passionate about this topic. :)

I love your long posts. Thank you for sharing your experience. That is a lot of great information. I'm 80% done with my re-rewrite...on the already published book and have written 2000 on my next book. I'm glad I'm doing the revision, because if nothing else, it has just been bugging me. I'm not saying it will now be a best seller...it won't but when my second book comes out, if it boosts sales of my first book I'll feel better about it.

My problem, and I know its a novice thing, is that I'm just telling, telling, telling and not showing. I am a little confused as to when a mix of telling is ok. I'm so paranoid now its making it a little hard to write. I'll get over it. I do hope it will help me be better in book two. It can't make me worse. Still moving forward, slowly.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I had the same issue when I started, and I still tend to 'tell' too much. That's an experience thing, and it will come. You can get loads of free writing advice from blogs. When I have a minute to collect the info, I'll come back with some links for you.

Holly Lisle says the same thing about revision; your book is as bad as it's ever going to be when you're done with the first draft, so wade in and do the revision you think is necessary. It will only make the book better.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I finished the revision. I know it is better than it was. I added about 3,000 words throughout. I am sure 6 months from now I'll look at it again and cringe...and want to re-write it again. Regardless, right now, I feel a lot better about it. Now back to my second book. Today...I'm plagued with self doubt...agh..I hate this. Regardless, I'm moving forward.

Last edited:

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I've reached 69,000 words. I'm feeling like my story is lagging. I'm not sure if it is or if I just think it is. I don't know if I'll be able to finish by the end of the year. I'm not sure still if I'm on the right track for actually...making some money. Book 1...still has not made enough to cover expenses. I don't know if all the extra work on this one is really going to produce more income. None of us know, right? I'm wondering if I should be looking at doing some non-fiction... I don't know. I find myself envious of those who are finding success and just feeling like a huge loser. There is no fastlane happening here....not saying never but I am saying right now...am I on the wrong track?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Almost no one makes much with just one book out. With the reminder that IMO writing isn't Fastlane, it's still a good way to make some decent money and do it on your own terms; you just have to be patient about when the money begins to come in. A saying I heard for years while beating my head against the wall in direct sales was: An entrepreneur will do things that others won't in order to live like others can't. I know of no hugely successful writer whose first effort made a life-changing amount of money. None. Not Stephen King, not J.K. Rowling, nobody. But they persisted, and look at them now. Neither would be able to spend their money in a lifetime even if they stopped writing or working in any way and never started again.

The debate about non-fiction vs fiction has been waged here before. Common wisdom is that non-fiction holds its value, while fiction trails off after a while. I submit two observations: one, that a well-written fiction book within a good catalog of the same by one author can make money for years, decades even. I give you Agatha Christie, who wasn't even that good a writer. Her books are currently outselling Somerset Maughan's, even though his are considered great literature. Two: an article I read recently (published in May) indicated that Amazon's ebook sales broke down at something like 69% fiction, 20% non-fiction, with the rest in miscellaneous categories such as graphic novels and children's picture books. I may not have the exact percentages correct, but that's close.

It's always better to inform yourself than fly by the seat of your pants when you are considering any business. And writing is a business; just not a Fastlane one. If you enjoy writing, you aren't on the wrong track. If you require funds to keep going, take a slowlane job and write when you aren't otherwise working. If you don't enjoy writing, then yes, you are on the wrong track, because the effort required to get to a sustainable good income is going to become drudgery. Only you can decide that, and I wish you the best in making your decision.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
it's still a good way to make some decent money and do it on your own terms;

This is why I love self-publishing. Whenever I have time, I can work toward building that income. Right now, however, I'm completely swamped with finals.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
This is why I love self-publishing. Whenever I have time, I can work toward building that income. Right now, however, I'm completely swamped with finals.

Of course there are going to be priorities. It helps with financial success if you (speaking in general, not specifically to @Thriftypreneur) can make the priority writing; however, no one can eat written words. Put a roof over your head and food in your belly (or study for a career that will do that) before you write. That said, most Americans could write instead of engaging in 'leisure activities' for an average of 4.5 hours per day. I would personally consider writing as a leisure activity if I didn't already consider it my full-time job. For an interesting look at what Americans spend their time on, see http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm.

In other words, if you are going to attempt to make self-publishing a major income stream and have NO other financial resources to sustain you while you work toward that goal, your first priority is to obtain the means to live. Once you've done that, conduct a time audit to see when and where you could be writing instead of engaging in activities that don't contribute to your health or your dreams. :)

Does anyone else remember the days when @ChickenHawk had a full-time job outside her home and had to write in long-hand in the few minutes she could spare? There's a shining example of how to use your time to free yourself to do what you love to do full-time.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Of course there are going to be priorities. It helps with financial success if you (speaking in general, not specifically to @Thriftypreneur) can make the priority writing; however, no one can eat written words. Put a roof over your head and food in your belly (or study for a career that will do that) before you write. That said, most Americans could write instead of engaging in 'leisure activities' for an average of 4.5 hours per day. I would personally consider writing as a leisure activity if I didn't already consider it my full-time job. For an interesting look at what Americans spend their time on, see http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm.

In other words, if you are going to attempt to make self-publishing a major income stream and have NO other financial resources to sustain you while you work toward that goal, your first priority is to obtain the means to live. Once you've done that, conduct a time audit to see when and where you could be writing instead of engaging in activities that don't contribute to your health or your dreams. :)

Does anyone else remember the days when @ChickenHawk had a full-time job outside her home and had to write in long-hand in the few minutes she could spare? There's a shining example of how to use your time to free yourself to do what you love to do full-time.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014

Have you ever thought about being a Writers Coach? I'm just sayin- you might want to think about that.

Thanks for the continued support. I started feeling ...kind of alone I guess. Still writing. I hope I can find a niche that will make this a fastlane endeavor; I don't think this one is it. i do like to write but of course I want to be great and that isn't going to happen overnight. I have high expectations of myself and feel I'm falling short. A lot of this is a head game, at least for me, I have to control what is going on in there because sometimes the hamster gets off the wheel and just stares into space. Sometimes the little bastard just flips me off. Anyhoo...just need to keep my mind positive and keep moving forward. I know from what everyone who has had success, they have many books under their belts. I don't know that I will stay in this genre. it is a niche but the readership is lower than other genres. I've got a ways to go to finish this one, just the first draft, then I honestly dread the next step of editing and probably some re-writes. I did learn a lot on the first book so I will be able to save some time this go around although this book is going to be twice as long as the first book.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I have high expectations of myself and feel I'm falling short. A lot of this is a head game,

Spoken as if it were taken from my own mind. :)

I believe self-confidence goes a long way in writing, and in life. One thing I would suggest is try to change your perspective on how you're measuring your success. If you're measuring it by income, then realize you can't judge your success or failure without a decent sized catalog--one, two, or three books just isn't enough titles to base your success on. 10, 15, 20 titles? Now you have enough to start pulling some meaningful data.

Or, if you're letting your confidence and feelings of success be measured by the reviews your published titles are receiving, remember that it's not about how many people don't like your work, it's about how many people do like your work. This is what building your audience is all about. You're not writing to please the untold number of people who find your work and don't like what you write, you're writing for those people who find your work and love what you create. When I look at it like this, fear of failure falls away, and I feel like I'm always writing to people who love my work, and that confidence shows in the writing. It's really easy to write for people who like your work.

:)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Have you ever thought about being a Writers Coach? I'm just sayin- you might want to think about that.
Aw, thanks! I hadn't thought about that, since I'm by no means an established success yet. When I am, and I truly believe that what has happened so far means that I will be, I'll consider it. Meanwhile, I'm happy to help where I can.

You're not writing to please the untold number of people who find your work and don't like what you write, you're writing for those people who find your work and love what you create.
Well said, and I might remind you and @LisaK both that you simply can't please everyone. There are too many perspectives and you'll find two people of completely opposite opinions on everything in this world, including your books. Write what you love to write while paying attention to the promises you imply to your readers, and never mind the people who don't like it. You have no obligation to them. Your only obligation is to be true to yourself and give the readers who love your work the best story/product you can manage.

From my writing coach Holly Lisle, here's a good list of the promises a successful writer must keep to his or her readers:
  1. I will not waste your time
  2. I will entertain you
  3. I will write clearly and intelligibly
  4. I will have something to say that will matter to you *because it matters to me (*my addition)
  5. I will give you characters you can care about
  6. If I put something in the story, I will put it there for a reason--and the reason will matter
  7. I will respect your intelligence
This is one of the several items I have posted on the wall around my computer to refer to often. Miss the mark on more than one of these items, or even one of items 2, 5 and 7, and NO reader will enjoy the book. Hit it on all or most, and your fans will be loyal as long as you continue to write with these promises in mind.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
81,000 words trying to bring the book a to close, my character is a paranormal investigator and this book has two cases going with a third prat of the plot being revealed. I don't know if I have too much going on...trying to set up for a third book in the series. Really, I have no idea what I'm doing. I did take @COSenior's advice on Holly Lisle. I'm enjoying the learning there and the pointers. Maybe at some point I will know what I'm doing. Still writing.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Still writing although slowly. Have decided due to some research...(who knows for sure who is right) that Indy publishers need to publish more and more often, I've decided to split the book up as originally planned and break into 3 book series. I'm going to develop the 2nd book a little more and finish it. I'm 80% done with the 3rd book then...and should be able to get it done more quickly and published. Then I'll regroup. Taking classes from Holly Lisle suggested by @COSenior. Taking the "how to write a series" class.

I entered a contest with a local paper for a 101 Fiction 101 words exactly. I actually really liked what I wrote...and...I didn't win, no honorable mention , no nothing....and I'm tellin ya, what did win I honestly didn't think was better than mine. I was a little bummed and confused. Oh well though. So, here it is, would like some feedback. Obviously I know that you can't see what did win so just wondering what you think about what I wrote. I still like it.

This has been copyrited:

Good Morning

Martha, marginalized and pushed aside for thirty years, placed the final garnishment on Harold’s breakfast plate. He snatched the plate, grunted, never saying thank you as he sat down. A small stream of water snaked its way from the dishwasher toward Harold’s bare feet. The water reached his left foot and with a broad smile, before he could say anything, she pushed the start button. Harold’s mouth gaped open with a croak, frozen in time. Harold’s head landed with a thud onto his plate of food. “Oopsie daisy,” she said quietly, “I told two months ago that darn thing needed fixing.”

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Lisa, how fun that you've taken the flash-fiction bull by the horns. Did you know that Holly has a free (I think-at least very cheap) course on how to develop it?

I like the image you've created. If I may say so, there are a couple of words, one used in an inaccurate way and one missing, that may have affected the judges' decision. If you have a website, you should definitely offer this as a benefit for signing up to your email list, or perhaps submit it to other venues for gaining visibility. Do you have an account at wattpad? Post it on Facebook, maybe? Lots of ways to use it.

FYI, the word garnishment refers to the legal procedure of taking a fine or other debt from one's wages. The word you wanted was garnish, meaning to decorate or embellish, especially of food. The missing word is in the last sentence. "I told you two months ago..." To keep from increasing your word count, you could eliminate the 'I' in that sentence; it will be understood as implied.

Again, I applaud you for creating a story in so few words. I'm super-jealous of that ability.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Lisa, how fun that you've taken the flash-fiction bull by the horns. Did you know that Holly has a free (I think-at least very cheap) course on how to develop it?

I like the image you've created. If I may say so, there are a couple of words, one used in an inaccurate way and one missing, that may have affected the judges' decision. If you have a website, you should definitely offer this as a benefit for signing up to your email list, or perhaps submit it to other venues for gaining visibility. Do you have an account at wattpad? Post it on Facebook, maybe? Lots of ways to use it.

FYI, the word garnishment refers to the legal procedure of taking a fine or other debt from one's wages. The word you wanted was garnish, meaning to decorate or embellish, especially of food. The missing word is in the last sentence. "I told you two months ago..." To keep from increasing your word count, you could eliminate the 'I' in that sentence; it will be understood as implied.

Again, I applaud you for creating a story in so few words. I'm super-jealous of that ability.

You got me there...I did not leave "you" out on purpose acutally...and you're right about garnishment...hmmmm...well I'll fix that maybe I'll enter it next year, screw it. :) I swear, I read that..re-read it, had two other people read it, no one caught it....nice job eagle eyes. :)

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Occupational hazard that I wish I could turn off at will. Believe me, it's no fun reading for pleasure when I'm constantly correcting grammar or typos in my head as I go. Lord knows, I don't want people reading mine that way. Everyone is fallible.
It was certainly a compliment. I wish I had your talent!

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I am editing the first draft of my second book in this series. I thought about splitting it but I couldn't find a good place to do it so I am going to stop at 80,000 words and hope I can pull the 3rd book off.

I am trying out something. I'll let you know what if it appears to be successful...or, if it not I'll write about that I guess.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.