The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I don't need a billion dollars

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Most people, lets face it, are just saying this...
Its a routine you get into and you keep

"Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, I want to blah blah blah, now I don't want to be a billionaire I just want to help those closest to me"

Its not true though, because your NATURAL COMPULSION is to ask "how do I make it magically work and be worth billions!", you don't sit down and ask the dirty little questions and figure out the exact paths to help those you care about. You want the big bucks so you can wash it all away, and give them hope with the gold bullion you have, and you want to wave your finger and tell them "to be responsible" or to be smart like you.

You want to stick up your middle finger at the man and prove something to yourself while b#tching about how people need to be more decent.

You SAY you don't need a billion dollars, because YOU ARE RIGHT, and they are wrong, and money is what you find seperates you. But when you have money, where do you point? At those with more? Those who act indecent? Those who act ignorant?

So you then say, I don't need to
Be around average people anymore
Deal with sh#t
Think about anything other than what works

Or whatever... So you don't say the billion dollar line, but you still have that finger waving attitude, you still have that routine.

Do you know what that routine is?
It is misunderstanding of what you need.
A routine of never asking wtf it really is, you and others, TRULY NEED.

It is passing over that need, and then creating a generalisation. Something "easier". Something that will dull the white noise.

Admit you need a billion dollars
- to feel happy
- to prove it to yourself
- to make it all right

Stop sugar coating it with
- I love what I do
- I want to change things
- Its because I see the need that I make money and it comes like magic

No, you want a billion dollars.
And you know what, I do too.

Because I'm a selfish, self centered, and unashamed of it idiot.
Because for whatever reason, that is what MY brain still respects.
Because I keep making all these "work arounds" that disqualify this guy and that guy.
Because its my sheild, and I hide under it, afraid some comet will come and hit me.
Because it has become my superstition.
Because without really understanding what I am DOING, I have just acrewed ideas in the only direction that makes sense.
Because its hard and I'm owed a reprieve.
A billion dollar reprieve.

If you are going to say you don't want a billion dollars, then why not also say you don't want to hope?

I am not just a mediocre business apprentice grinding my way to success. I've been to success before.
And the secret is...
The things we hope for, hurt us the most.
And if you lose all hope, and think nothing can hurt you, you aren't invulnerable, just lost.

This hurt for hope you feel, its real.
It isn't going to go away.

I look at a billion dollars and I see a billion reasons why that hurt is real.
I see a billion reasons why I feel its the answer.
A billion reasons why I'm wrong.
And I ignore them all.

Because I want it to be true.
Because deep down I want the other changes that will take me there, but I don't enjoy finding them.
So I set that goal, not to achieve it, but to not stare in the face what I really want to achieve.
Because what I really want to achieve is heavy, its not glorious, people still act indecent, and it takes so much work, and I barely improve... But maybe that small change changes a life, accomplishes something without money, helps me act truer to myself, achieve a closer attunement.

We internally chase a billion dollars because we ALLOW ourselves to BE BLIND.
Don't race ahead, look ahead
Don't scream and tout, look and care
When you struggle to see, struggle deeper to do it justice

Ground yourself FIRST in reality
A billion dollars is a thousand things you are not

First, you are brave
First, you can put it aside
First, you look up to change... real change, and just for what it is, not what it brings
First, your heart feels it when people care, when you make that difference

Cast aside your shame
Your imaginary cloak, that hides that billion dollar wound
And rest by the fire that is you,
Your anger,
Your need,
All the neglect that got you here,

Don't turn away

The greatness in you, don't let it sneak in through the back door, watch it trickle in through the front.
Let the tiny wins, wage their tiny battles with their tiny defeats
And don't play it down, like some day it'll be bigger, mean more, or whatever.

My biggest fear, is that its as big as "this", where this is what I have.
Thats why we want the billion dollars.

I'm not saying be happy with being poor, thats asking you to be stupid, a moron and a matyr for some other person.
No, please do get a healthy flow of cash that is as abstracted from your time as possible.
But in the JOURNEY of KNOWING and FEELING, I ask you to be kinder to these gentle changes.
To fear less the war that wages inside of you.

To not HIDE you monster.

Sometimes I feel like I need a billion dollars.
But when I'm calm, I've started to understand, that what I need more, is respect for the path.
And its a brutal feeling.
A new LAYER of hurt.
One I don't THINK I can endure.

But thats how pain is.
And ignorance disguises that the way out isn't that far.

FEEL whats right, and desire that.

Let loose the old billion dollar target.
Lose all sense of reason, all sense of money.

Focus, pure.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Nobody *needs* a billion dollars. Just like I don't need a 1000cc sport bike. Do I have one? Hell yes. Do I need one? No. Then why do I have one? Because I F*cking love it. To each his own. Why take up mental energy concerning yourself with others like that? I'm going riding. I'll be the blur on the 101.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The day I give up the smart phone will be a really good day!!

Did a canoe trip this summer, accidentally left it in the car. Best 4 days ever.......

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
I feel you Rogue..was that a poem or some prose? Nice piece of writing
I forgot what prose is exactly...haha I'll google it soon...anyway...Anyway I think I get your point, yes we may have a great financial goal to achieve or even dream about but let go of the attachment to it and be free when you are free of material attachment and 'wordly' longing you can be free and rise above to another state of conciousness, and at the same achieve your 'real' world goals.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
I thought the goal was stated in TMF . To setup a money system that can support your lifestyle off the interest?

Or is this from a philosophical meaning? All I "need" is 33 million to live the lifestyle I want to live.
But no one can tell you how to live it.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Honestly, my goals don't have a direct monetary value attached to them

BUT, you could totally attach a monetary value to ALL of them and total that up.

It's kinda all how you look at it.

It is human nature for it to never be enough. It is exceedingly rare to find someone that is content with what they have - even if that person tells themself that they "don't need much".

In reality, 99.9% of people will always be saying they "don't need much MORE" for as long as they are alive.

Anyways, I see your point - and I agree with what you are trying to say.

Personally, I just want to keep building - as long as that satisfies a few requirements that I have there really won't be much of a difference to me. Just more to play with I guess.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I want to be like Thoreau living on a pond not caring about anything or anyone. Seriously that'd be pretty sweet sometimes.. much stress currently
The idea is always better than the reality.

Your life is the sum of all of your thoughts, actions, and choices - If something doesn't feel right, shift these.

People always think that some huge, polaric change is what will create the life that they want. The reality is that you are probably way closer than you think. Just start taking micro-steps in the direction you want to go, and keep doing it for the rest of your life

You can't just go live at the pond dude, what about the forum? ;)

D

DeletedUser394

The idea is always better than the reality.

Your life is the sum of all of your thoughts, actions, and choices - If something doesn't feel right, shift these.

People always think that some huge, polaric change is what will create the life that they want. The reality is that you are probably way closer than you think. Just start taking micro-steps in the direction you want to go, and keep doing it for the rest of your life

You can't just go live at the pond dude, what about the forum? ;)

This is the internet, I'm a troll. I have no desire to live on a pond and am currently quite content with my life.

Although in the past I've lived in a hamlet where horses outnumbered people, and I never tired of it.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
we may have a great financial goal to achieve or even dream about but let go of the attachment to it and be free

Nice! This says it all really.
Possessing courage and the balls to do something is worth more than the cash.

when you are free of material attachment and 'wordly' longing you can be free and rise above to another state of conciousness, and at the same achieve your 'real' world goals

Exactly
If you stop bullshitting to yourself about "what you must do", you will start to have room to understand what you really can do, right now.
And doing stuff you can do, right now, can change your life, not just your bank account.

People always think that some huge, polaric change is what will create the life that they want. The reality is that you are probably way closer than you think

Yes man thats it, when a billion dollars is just a desire for "polaric change" you get all trapped in your head. That isn't to say a billion isn't a good goal, I just think that the more you question the worth of an amount of money, the better, because questioning your assumptions help you grow.

Why do we seek a "polaric change"? It is because you have issues with something, right? Handle the issues first. Don't use money as medication. It won't wash away your issues, and you need to grasp that to be ready to make your mark.

I think people can get addicted to using cash as a scapegoat for BS. "I have money, therefor I'm better at this", but ultimately it just bury's your fear, and it nags away at you.

Examining your assumptions about your monetary goals is trippy, but its good to do.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013

This is an amazing example of someone thinking they NEED a billion dollars.
Ironically it comes with the devastating belief that you will just luck upon it.

Bwow bwow

Nothing wrong with having the goal, but that right there, is the reason you question yourself.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I don't need a billion dollars. My goals need at least ten billion.
Of course, I have some pretty lofty goals.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Last year I had lunch with a man who used to own his own company, and one of his life goals was for his company to have a billion dollars worth of sales in one year. Everyone thought he was crazy for having this massive goal, and about 7 or so years ago his company reached about 950 million dollars in sales. He is now about 75 years old and has since sold his company- but if he never aimed for a billion he would have never reached 950 million. He said that he always set ridiculous goals because as long as he got close, he was still better off than if he would have set a more attainable goal in the first place.

I've always been made fun of by family members for having ridiculous goals- but stories like this really motivate me into having incredibly high goals and doing whatever it takes to reach them.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Last year I had lunch with a man who used to own his own company, and one of his life goals was for his company to have a billion dollars worth of sales in one year. Everyone thought he was crazy for having this massive goal, and about 7 or so years ago his company reached about 950 million dollars in sales. He is now about 75 years old and has since sold his company- but if he never aimed for a billion he would have never reached 950 million. He said that he always set ridiculous goals because as long as he got close, he was still better off than if he would have set a more attainable goal in the first place.

I've always been made fun of by family members for having ridiculous goals- but stories like this really motivate me into having incredibly high goals and doing whatever it takes to reach them.
Keep the kid alive...

...by the way the kid in the video thumbnail is me :D

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Most people decide that big goals are childish, and leave them behind, as family, friends, and society encourages them to do. A few don't, and everyone else thinks they're immature.

Well I still get excited whenever someone suggests going out for ice cream. Guilty as charged.

Keep your big goals and ambitions, and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013

Wow that was an awesome story.

I think now after reading that, that maybe we need to set our goals high in order to just be childish and enjoy where we are.

Rep++

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
@RogueInnovation thanks for the clip(Dragons Den)...damn that dude set himself up for suicide...slight arrogance... also basing your valuation on some future projected market statistics??? Dude made me laugh...Such clips helps bring us and Matt back down to earth...nutbar level 9 hehe

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
.damn that dude set himself up for suicide...slight arrogance... also basing your valuation on some future projected market statistics??? Dude made me laugh...Such clips helps bring us and Matt back down to earth...nutbar level 9 hehe

Funny thing is... That is exactly how I'd be.
A big b#tchslap of truth.

The guy thinks he has it all, and he might, but you cannot explore the possibility if your actions are stubborn and selfish.

He has to factor in risk to reward, and at least give these guys a life raft to hold onto to even get into the ball park of realism.
If he wants to keep equity low, he should bring them in on a loan, and give them a percentage based on consultancy, and say that if it pays off big that 1% could equal x million.

But when he came in bold faced and too blind to see what he was presenting them with, he just throws things in their face.

He expected for them to make him a success by submitting to his terms, but it doesn't work that way. It isn't about who you convince its about if you have the stuff to actually get it done.

Great clip really, I mean, I'm a total nutbar, but to really make those dreams plausible we have to make our actions genuine otherwise we'll just scare everyone off and thats a good way to sabotage your business.
My guess is he just felt too insecure and too threatened to entertain other offers and if the dragons wanted in they should have restructured it. But its like they said, sometimes a guys inability to structiure a deal is a huge red flag regarding his ability to lead the business anywhere but head first into the dirt, so I can understand their apprehension.

I liked his business though, I think he should have given up 20% amongst as many dragons as he could get, and offered incentives for the telecoms giant sitting in the room.
Talk SUCCESS not strict and rigid rules.

At the end of the day, you have to have more flexibility than he showed, but I totally get how he felt. It was an enlightening clip to see.
If you chase that billion too hard, it'll get away.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
True he should've been more flexible and 1% equity..Im not sure if he had much revenue or sales coming in yet? His attitude did put the Dragons off.
Like you said talk success not strict and rigid rules...he should've maybe worked on his salesmanship and obviously approach more.
Good point though he had everything set in concrete and was too rigid and possibly overconfident in his business.
We all have a bit of Nutbar some more than others.
To be honest if I had a billion I wouldn't be into big toys and luxury too much unless it was a holiday and then again I'd be spending for my family or friends sake...I would use a lot of my profits if I had enough to re-invest into my country and businesses there as well as education for relatives etc.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
No offence but I didn't understand a word of what you just wrote. :)
You need to work on your communication skills! :)

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
No offence but I didn't understand a word of what you just wrote. :)
You need to work on your communication skills! :)
I just read this whole thread, I understood everyone clearly and they were communicating with each other. What did you not understand? What are you talking about? Maybe you need to evaluate yourself and work in on your communication skills, no offence. :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Rogue get out of the mental zone. Ha Ha! Thinking to much! I suppose that happens to us deep thinkers, some times you just have to listen to music and use pictures and images.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
We all have a bit of Nutbar some more than others.
To be honest if I had a billion I wouldn't be into big toys and luxury too much unless it was a holiday and then again I'd be spending for my family or friends sake...I would use a lot of my profits if I had enough to re-invest into my country and businesses there as well as education for relatives etc.

I think how Nutbar you are really comes down to how close you are to success. If you are far away, everything you say is crazy or below average, but the closer you are to it the more everything you say and do is a picture of sanity.

I don't think it is the money that makes that happen though, cuz you can have a lot of money and seem totally out of wack, at the end of the day you have to trust in something deeper inside yourself than the cash amount assigned to your name..

I still seem to "want" a billion dollar business, it drives me a little crazy wondering why the hell I am still stuck on that. I'm not ashamed of my cash status, and I don't crave another position in life, but still the billion dollar itch is there.

I think its just the manifestation of my doubts. You think you suck so much that only a magical number can "cure" you. I think that only self confidence can cure the doubts and scratch the itch.

Rogue get out of the mental zone. Ha Ha! Thinking to much!

What is really ironic is that biz is done in the few inches between your ears, but people say thinking is bad cuz of one TYPE of thinking.

The type of thinking that is bad is that hyper, paranoid, unconfident one.

Reassessing your feelings seems, ok.
But you are right, everything just gets you caught up, and you need to just break free and look ahead.

Maybe it is by giving it our all, we forget about destinations. :smoking:

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The destination isn't really as important as the journey. What is destination? You may have a goal in mind, but the destination changes moment to moment. It's like driving on a road trip.....you have detours, accidents, get stopped by the police, maybe hitchhikers, bathroom breaks, eating breaks, and so, there is a million different destinations where you arrive.

Now, you may be one of those drivers grumpy, complaining, yelling, and screaming cause you're in a hurry to get to your destination, but you still have to have patience, do what is necessary to get their, either handle your emotions and thinking, or be a wreck because you were just plane reckless. You still have to get around obstacles, and other people that you may feel are bad drivers, or going to slow etc.

You can give it your all and 100%, but there are still moments where there are delays for one reason or another. Your car may break down.

We can get stuck daydreaming about the future and be non-productive. We can get stuck in the past and not be productive. We can sit in the present moment and do nothing and be non-productive.

There's two things in life we can do Think about something for twenty years and be non-productive. We can talk about something for twenty years and be non-productive. All you have is now to act and do. If your focus is anywhere else and you're over thinking you're slowing yourself down. This is what meditation helps me with. Turning off the thoughts and doing. Sure I think while I produce, but just sitting around thinking about life doesn't create anything.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
I think how Nutbar you are really comes down to how close you are to success. If you are far away, everything you say is crazy or below average, but the closer you are to it the more everything you say and do is a picture of sanity.

I don't think it is the money that makes that happen though, cuz you can have a lot of money and seem totally out of wack, at the end of the day you have to trust in something deeper inside yourself than the cash amount assigned to your name..

I still seem to "want" a billion dollar business, it drives me a little crazy wondering why the hell I am still stuck on that. I'm not ashamed of my cash status, and I don't crave another position in life, but still the billion dollar itch is there.

I think its just the manifestation of my doubts. You think you suck so much that only a magical number can "cure" you. I think that only self confidence can cure the doubts and scratch the itch.

:smoking:

So I guess integrity and principles are essential to overcome this self-doubt.
If we have maintained our integrity and stuck to our principles no matter the achieved financial metric then I presume that this doubt can be eliminated or reduced as well as improving our self-confidence.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
So I guess integrity and principles are essential to overcome this self-doubt.
Abso-f#cking-lutely!
Its the same as lying to someone to close a deal, but in this case you are lying to yourself.
- false promises
- inconsistent delivery
- nagging at people and customers
The very rotten core of a business starts RIGHT HERE. In who you stand to be, right now, when things are at their thickest.

No paint job fixes a faulty engine. And money is the paint. The real BONES and MUSCLE is your discerning intuition, grit, inner fire and integrity.
And if you don't command things, and you only chase a number, there is no room for the great man in you to stand up and take charge.

If we have maintained our integrity and stuck to our principles no matter the achieved financial metric then I presume that this doubt can be eliminated or reduced as well as improving our self-confidence.

Yes,
I am PROOF of this.
Doubts burn away like layers of fat at the gym.
But the gym in business is sticking to your guns.

You just made me realise something...
If we itch for a billion dollars we might hang ourselves, in an attempt to be someone else.
ONLY your principles can take you through the rough seas and come out the end stronger.
Cherish that strength and be willing to walk away from a billion dollars.

Find the courage to get over greed, because at the heart of greed is fear.
You must face the fear, you must understand that the deeper you go, the more fear you will feel.
And you and your principles must get stronger to walk that gauntlet.

Its not a billion you should seek, its the test.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.