The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Words from a pimp - Hustlers vs Suckers

Anything related to matters of the mind

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Amazing how much can be applied to entrepreneurship. Don't have source found this online years ago when I was applying this to women. Bolded parts emphasized as critical imo.

Lately I have been rereading Iceberg Slim, one of my favorites. To Iceberg, the world is divided between hustler and sucker. You are either one or the other. The sucker has no angles on life, no sense of the art of indirection, can only make one stupid play at a time. The hustler always aims for the angles, learns how to play them, becomes an artist in the game. The following are the main distinctions he makes between the two types:

* "Chumps prefer a beautiful lie to an ugly truth." The sucker wants to believe certain things about life and so projects these wishes on to the real world, seeing what he wants to see, not what is. A hustler thrives on reality, ugly or unpleasant--finds his poetry in the real. He sees the whole table and plays it as it lays.

* "No point in getting upset about the unknown. Only suckers do that." A hustler has to deal with danger and risk. It's part of the game. You cannot control it all, nor would you want to. Chaos, unknown factors are not something to be anxious about. They represent opportunities for new angles, new hustles. The sucker cannot stand the unknown and so either fouls up by getting impatient and over anxious, or retreats to a false world of security and the known.

* "Stop letting your mind leapfrog like a screwy sucker." A sucker's mind moves all over the place, forgetting the order of things and making chaos where there is none. Hustlers have to stay cool and focused on the chain of events as they unfold, the various angles that are being played, with the possible reactions. A hustler never forgets where the 8 ball lies and how to get to it methodically.

* "You can't learn con by memorizing words. Every mark and every play of any con game is different. You have to memorize the elements of con." A sucker wants formulas he can memorize and plug into situations. He has no flow because he is so rigid in his mind. The hustler has flow because he plays for the overall game, knows the elements, can improvise and make angles where no one else sees them.

* "I don't lag my bills like a sucker." Suckers have the wrong relationship to money. They try to save pennies here and there, or grasp for the big kill that has all the odds stacked against it. Money brings out all of their neuroses. A hustler understands money. It is a tool for power, for con, and a resource for pleasure. And he always knows the odds.

* "Don't get foxed out of your bankroll. The con is made for everyone, you know." Anyone is susceptible to being conned. The wisest hustler can suddenly fall for the worst tramp and lose all of his money on her. The hustler is aware of his own weaknesses and openings to con. This awareness is his edge. A sucker thinks he knows it all and cannot be fooled. That is his fatal flaw.

* "Never forget that a grifter's word has to be like a gold bond to his associates." Honor among thieves, in other words. Lower-level hustlers forget this and the importance of reputation. They get lost in the moment and screw the wrong person. Greed should never trump consideration for your credibility. If you don't understand the subtleties of this, you are a sucker.

* "I went to the phone to call the Goddess. I walked away from it. It was a sucker play to call her so soon." Impatience is the hallmark of the sucker, and it is never clearer than in matters of seduction. He can't wait to call, spilling out his guts with a confession of love, or trying to reveal how eager he is to impress and please. Emotion trumps strategy. Patience and time is the hustler's creed. "I play for time and see what happens," says Elizabeth I, the great hustler Queen of England.

* "...since you blew your top like a mark. You should have stayed cool and figured some con with me to separate that sonuva***** from a few grand." Anger is deadly and stupid. In a competitive and dangerous world, anger is a great temptation. But only a sucker gives into natural anger at the state of things by reacting with rants and outbursts. The hustler plays the bigger angle and gets revenge on the target by hitting him in his pocketbook, or his reputation. Anger is not repressed but properly channeled.

You must keep raising this game to higher and higher levels, as on the pool table--mastering eventually the psychological angles. Your playing is a pleasure, all the way to the end, to death, when the game is over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
Amazing how much can be applied to entrepreneurship. Don't have source found this online years ago when I was applying this to women. Bolded parts emphasized as critical imo.

Lately I have been rereading Iceberg Slim, one of my favorites. To Iceberg, the world is divided between hustler and sucker. You are either one or the other. The sucker has no angles on life, no sense of the art of indirection, can only make one stupid play at a time. The hustler always aims for the angles, learns how to play them, becomes an artist in the game. The following are the main distinctions he makes between the two types:

* "Chumps prefer a beautiful lie to an ugly truth." The sucker wants to believe certain things about life and so projects these wishes on to the real world, seeing what he wants to see, not what is. A hustler thrives on reality, ugly or unpleasant--finds his poetry in the real. He sees the whole table and plays it as it lays.

* "No point in getting upset about the unknown. Only suckers do that." A hustler has to deal with danger and risk. It's part of the game. You cannot control it all, nor would you want to. Chaos, unknown factors are not something to be anxious about. They represent opportunities for new angles, new hustles. The sucker cannot stand the unknown and so either fouls up by getting impatient and over anxious, or retreats to a false world of security and the known.

* "Stop letting your mind leapfrog like a screwy sucker." A sucker's mind moves all over the place, forgetting the order of things and making chaos where there is none. Hustlers have to stay cool and focused on the chain of events as they unfold, the various angles that are being played, with the possible reactions. A hustler never forgets where the 8 ball lies and how to get to it methodically.

* "You can't learn con by memorizing words. Every mark and every play of any con game is different. You have to memorize the elements of con." A sucker wants formulas he can memorize and plug into situations. He has no flow because he is so rigid in his mind. The hustler has flow because he plays for the overall game, knows the elements, can improvise and make angles where no one else sees them.

* "I don't lag my bills like a sucker." Suckers have the wrong relationship to money. They try to save pennies here and there, or grasp for the big kill that has all the odds stacked against it. Money brings out all of their neuroses. A hustler understands money. It is a tool for power, for con, and a resource for pleasure. And he always knows the odds.

* "Don't get foxed out of your bankroll. The con is made for everyone, you know." Anyone is susceptible to being conned. The wisest hustler can suddenly fall for the worst tramp and lose all of his money on her. The hustler is aware of his own weaknesses and openings to con. This awareness is his edge. A sucker thinks he knows it all and cannot be fooled. That is his fatal flaw.

* "Never forget that a grifter's word has to be like a gold bond to his associates." Honor among thieves, in other words. Lower-level hustlers forget this and the importance of reputation. They get lost in the moment and screw the wrong person. Greed should never trump consideration for your credibility. If you don't understand the subtleties of this, you are a sucker.

* "I went to the phone to call the Goddess. I walked away from it. It was a sucker play to call her so soon." Impatience is the hallmark of the sucker, and it is never clearer than in matters of seduction. He can't wait to call, spilling out his guts with a confession of love, or trying to reveal how eager he is to impress and please. Emotion trumps strategy. Patience and time is the hustler's creed. "I play for time and see what happens," says Elizabeth I, the great hustler Queen of England.

* "...since you blew your top like a mark. You should have stayed cool and figured some con with me to separate that sonuva***** from a few grand." Anger is deadly and stupid. In a competitive and dangerous world, anger is a great temptation. But only a sucker gives into natural anger at the state of things by reacting with rants and outbursts. The hustler plays the bigger angle and gets revenge on the target by hitting him in his pocketbook, or his reputation. Anger is not repressed but properly channeled.

You must keep raising this game to higher and higher levels, as on the pool table--mastering eventually the psychological angles. Your playing is a pleasure, all the way to the end, to death, when the game is over.

Interesting post. What's the reason for the post? Are you showing the dimensions of each character in how different they are? You're emphasising whether one can or can't change? or are you just riduling the suckers?

Are the above two different mindsets? Can you change from a hustler to a sucker and vice versa or isit just the way you are wired from the Creator?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
G

GuestUser113

Interesting post. What's the reason for the post? Are you showing the dimensions of each character in how different they are? You're emphasising whether one can or can't change? or are you just riduling the suckers?

Are the above two different mindsets? Can you change from a hustler to a sucker and vice versa or isit just the way you are wired from the Creator?

You must be the sucker instead of a hustler.

Last edited by a moderator:

bboyu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 5, 2013
You must be the sucker instead of a hustler.

Yeah well done you've accomplished something today. When i was writing the post, I knew someone would come out with that.

If you've got it all figured out good for you, theres people out there who haven't so I dont mind looking like anything just to get a question across so someone can say something which resonates or can give some insights so one can improve.

Answer the question if you're done being a "hustler" for the day - i dont think you'd fit the category of a hustler who's on the streets anyway. That is what this post is about and what my question was about.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Dude I love this.

Great stuff.

This goes a little deeper for me as well - I feel like when you really get something, in the core of who you are, you can see the reflection of it in everything.

When you can see reflections of truth in a book like that, that shows a deeper understanding.

I'm gonna check that book out.

Thanks

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I need to go back and reread the Iceberg Slim I have on my Kindle. I read it before I decided I'd rather work for myself than someone else, and it seems to have a few hidden diamonds in those dark stories.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
It's a really good read, that's for sure. I think I first heard about from the archives of some infamous PUA.

I haven't read it, but it embraces a "dog eat dog" mentality, you could find similar philosophy from Machiavelli.

I don't think the world is so dark, that it merits an equally dark mentality.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
It's a really good read, that's for sure. I think I first heard about from the archives of some infamous PUA.

I haven't read it, but it embraces a "dog eat dog" mentality, you could find similar philosophy from Machiavelli.

I don't think the world is so dark, that it merits an equally dark mentality.

I firmly think it is much more dog eat dog than we tell our kids when they grow up in America. So by the time they finish college there are those who have a clue, and those that don't. A kid from Russia same age will walk circles around an American by understanding this very real point that when there is competition involved and stakes are enough, the end will justify the means.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Yeah, but that viewpoint is just so dark. It's literally: I'm a pimp, everyone who's not a pimp, is a trick or a ho.

Also, he has a chapter on being completely emotionally empty. It's like a defense mechanism for living a non-productive, unethical lifestyle.

A pimp doesn't produce any value to society, not in a creative way. There's no innovation...no intellectual stimulation. I think writing that book was the biggest achievement of his life, really.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.