The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

On Track To Do $60k In Sales Next Month. But......

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Hey everyone,

I have been away for awhile and haven't participated much but still browse the forums every night. Been busy working away at a business of mine and I finally got around to posting this thread which I have wanted to for a long time now.

I am assuming this will be a long read but for those who have the time, I am sure you will learn a bit.

It is interesting and I think most of you can relate to it in some way or another.

This is going to be a long long post....

Begining Of My Path

I graduated college a few years ago with a Rec and Tourism Degree. I went to college to basically prolong the time until I could start my own business. Always researching and always wanting to be an entrepreneur but never could get anything off the ground.

I eventually met a guy who was selling products online doing dropshipping and making good money. Although he never taught me anything, he did teach one thing. If he could do it, then it could be done.

Fast forward a few months later I happen to get in touch with a friend of mine who was starting a Retro Swimsuit company (i thought it was meant to be). His dad was the owner of Bettie Page Clothing. They just went public sitting out a few hundred million. Well, I thought I had hit the jackpot! How could I fail?

Boy was I wrong. This guy was suicidal, would disappear for weeks on end and to top it off, his dad was competing with us. Not to mention that the market was very small and I was basically just working for him.

After about a year I gave up working with him and looked to start another business.

Here Is Where It Gets Good.

So after that partner moved out and I was sitting at home working on my own stuff, I asked my brother if he wanted to get involved (I know what a horrible idea).

My brother was a lazy guy. He would sit there at the TV all day and watch TV. I wanted to give him an opportunity to do something good. I love my brother and I saw some potential under all his laziness. My brother wasn't working at the moment nor had he ever had a job.

Our First Business

So finally for once, I was in charge. I was able to make the decisions and I was able to decide where the business would go. My brother would listen to me for the most part but basically just half-a$$ it. He wasn't doing it because he wanted to half a$$ it, it just wasn't in him.

Many of us have it in us and don't use it and some don't have it and never try to have it. He didn't know what he wanted but I did.

In a nutshell I handled all the SEO, website stuff and he picked up the phones. Any time I would try to give him advice, he took it as me trying to tell him what to do.

This went on for over a year and we actually had a good business going.

First year we did 100k in sales
Second year we did 200k in sales

But, like I said he didn't know what he wanted. When you don't know what you want... Where is your drive? Where is your passion? How can you strive for something when you don't even know what that something is!!

Present

So, I knew I had to cut the ties. Yes, this is my brother but he was holding me back. He was poisonous to me and this business. I saw huge potential that wasn't even being slightly tapped into.

My brother was not a go getter. He didn't communicate well.

I myself had my own issues. I was always told that I couldn't sell. THat I couldn't talk. I wasn't a sales person or a business owner. I remember my last job where I worked at a raqcuet club and some of the members were trying to decide what I should do after college.

"He should be a plumber."
"He should be a salesperson."
"No he can't sell. He can't even talk. Hahaha. "

They would all laugh and make fun of me like I was some chump.

This would all go on after they would see me working this shitty job forty hours a week, reading entrepreneurial books and internet marketing books whenever I had a minute to spend. Often I would hide in the backroom just to read and learn. I always dreamed of walking in that gym one day and saying, "Thank you. You "almost" convinced me that I couldn't sell, own a business or be successful. But, I am not you and I thank you for helping me realize that"

Where It Gets Better

So @zen*******, you were right. I should have ditched him a long time ago just like all the other partners I had. I didn't believe in myself. I didn't believe that I had what it took to create a successful business. I listened to the wrong people and relied on others who truly didn't want what I wanted.

2 months ago I cut tied with my brother completely. He didn't want to work with me and he was wanting to take the entire website and transfer it over to a new domain. WHAT! We were doing 15k average a month and we had branded our product. Transferring it was ridiculous!

Bare in mind we had been sued by a 100 million dollar company a year ago for trademark infringement and finally had something that people wanted.

We had created and marketed a product that was truly rattling some cages from the big boys in the market. I know my brother was part of that success. He truly did help get it to where it was but he wasn't someone who was going to grow this business. I know that deep down inside my heart.

So, the business was going down hill. My brother was mad at me, he wasn't doing the sales and since I had relied on him (which was so freakin stupid of me) that I didn't know that much about the product or at least I did not think I did.

Anyways, I said F*ck it. He wanted out so I let him out. My dad, my mom, and of course him, didn't believe that I could do all the work on my own.

I was scared of course, especially after everyone telling me I couldn't do it. But, I had no choice and if you want something so bad, you will figure out a way to make it work.

Within 2 months, all by myself with no help from anyone including my brother, I have done almost $60,000 in sales. I am on track to do $40,000 in one of the slowest months in our industry.

I did $4,000 in sales just today!

Profit for this month will be about $15,000, although I only take what I need out and put everything right back into growing the business (which is what I have done from the start).

This is only the beginning. After proving to myself and everyone else that it was all just a mere illusion, I know I will be a millionaire. I don't even doubt that for one minute.

Without all of these experiences, who knows if I would have ever got myself into this position. My dad, my mom, my friends still can't believe what a transformation has unfolded right in front of their eyes. I almost can't believe it, when I should have believed in myself the entire time.

While I feel bad about my brother and he is still very upset with me. A lot of resentment and of course I never intended to hurt him. But, he didn't want to work with me. He didn't want the website. He wanted out. So I let him out. I think now that he sees what I have done with it, it makes him jealous.

I hope that he will get over it but I had to do this for me. I couldn't wait around for someone else to blossom. It was my turn to shine and that is exactly what I did.

My Advice

Pick up the phone and make calls. Never be scared to call someone. Never be scared to call someone multiple times. Never be scared to get rejected.

Today I picked up the phone at the gym. I got a sales call, jumped off the treadmill and I ran into the locker room and make a $2,000 sale.

Be Persistent. Don't take no for an answer. Call back. Call again until they say stop calling me. Never allow a roadblock to stop you. Simply jump over it or move around it or go back a little but never stop or return home.

Know What Makes The Customer Buy. Every product needs to be sold but not ever product needs to be "sold". I never have to really sell my product. I let my website, product descriptions and myself do the selling. I am personable. I know what my customers want. I know what need they want solved and I let them know how my product will solve that. I don't have to sell them necessarily. But I know what makes them buy.

Find Your Edge. My niche is crowded. Tons of huge huge 100 million dollar companies in it. But, they can't cater to everyone. Find a groove and own it. When I say own it I mean own it! Don't be everything to everyone but by everything to a few.

Believe In Yourself. I wish I had believed in myself years ago. I have always been hard on myself. Growing up I was all star this, all star that and basically good at anything I put my mind to. But when it came to entrepreneurship, it was tough! I just didn't have that initial edge or at least I didn't think.

Don't let others tell you otherwise. Find what makes you good. Find what makes you a star. Sometimes it takes longer. When you find it you will know instantly.

Don't Rely On Others. I spent 4 years searching for someone to help me when I didn't need help all along. Sure, I have a lady who handles the customer service, my mom helps keep things organize and I have a guy who does the web design and a company who does the PPC.

But, never rely on someone to do things for you. Be who you are.

Okay I am going to end this long a$$ post with a quote from my favorite band.

"You can be who you want to be without changing who you are" - Soja

3 months ago I thought I was moving home. Now I am looking to double sales every month. Goal for next month is to do $60,000!

Cheers,
Dan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Congratulations Dan on your success. Sometimes people take on partners only because they don't have the confidence to go it alone. Now you have it in spades. Well done you! :)

The only thing I would disagree with is:

Be Persistent. Don't take no for an answer. Call back. Call again until they say stop calling me.

There are many companies I will not deal with due to overzealous unsolicited salesmen calling. I don't care if they are the cheapest in the market and their after-sales is first rate, if they have pissed me off time, and time again, with pushy sales techniques then they are toast in my mind and I know a lot of fellow business owners react the same. Sometimes you need to tread lightly and think more long term than about making the instant sale.

In the office I'm in we get 1-3 unsolicited sales calls a day EVERY day and we are very niche and NEVER advertise. We probably average 1, maybe 2 client jobs a months that is how niche we are yet we are still bombarded with nuisance calls day in day out. You need to do something remarkable to stand out from the crowd when you have that much noise to contend with.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Congratulations Dan on your success. Sometimes people take on partners only because they don't have the confidence to go it alone. Now you have it in spades. Well done you! :)

The only thing I would disagree with is:

There are many companies I will not deal with due to overzealous unsolicited salesmen calling. I don't care if they are the cheapest in the market and their after-sales is first rate, if they have pissed me off time, and time again, with pushy sales techniques then they are toast in my mind and I know a lot of fellow business owners react the same. Sometimes you need to tread lightly and think more long term than about making the instant sale.

In the office I'm in we get 1-3 unsolicited sales calls a day EVERY day and we are very niche and NEVER advertise. We probably average 1, maybe 2 client jobs a months that is how niche we are yet we are still bombarded with nuisance calls day in day out. You need to do something remarkable to stand out from the crowd when you have that much noise to contend with.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks! Yeah I know what you mean. This are people who are interested in in my product who have contacted me and given me permission to contact them. When I say be persitent, I don't mean be obnoxious. I don't sell them. I just follow up.

I never do cold calls. Only people who who have told me they want to buy. So I follow up with them. Even when I follow up with them they are glad that I contacted them. I never try to sell them.

Trust me. I know what you mean. Most my customers are older people and in my industry they get pestered.

I think you misinterpreted what I meant because I do agree with you completely haha.

Dan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I recognize your name from BHW ... Great story and congratz on your success.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Hey Thanks. Got away from BHW. Best decision I ever made.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Hey man, really nice to see how you grew your business by yourself without someone holding you back.
I know the feeling of wanting to work with someone but in the same time you want to take all the decisions yourself. Some advice from others is always good though :)

I have been cold calling LOTS of companies in old industries to find a SaaS idea but was unsuccessful. I know you are selling physical products, so I was wondering how did you find that need for your product?

TheChosenOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 13, 2014
Thanks for the read! Hope I can post the same thread soon.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Hey man, really nice to see how you grew your business by yourself without someone holding you back.
I know the feeling of wanting to work with someone but in the same time you want to take all the decisions yourself. Some advice from others is always good though :)

I have been cold calling LOTS of companies in old industries to find a SaaS idea but was unsuccessful. I know you are selling physical products, so I was wondering how did you find that need for your product?

Years of selling random products that did not solve a real need. When you find a product that solves a burning need, that is when you hit a home run. It took years of selling random stuff until I found something that people actually needed.

When you find that product, you will know instantly. I definitely had to refine it multiple times but you will know instantly when you have a product and a need that is being unmet. Never be scared of the big boys. They can't always offer everything to everyone.
Find a reason that people would want to go to you to get that need solved besides going to one of the big boys.

Entrepreneur99

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 6, 2014
Really inspiring thread @Dan Da Man a truly great outcome from those years of hard work and fending off the negative opinions of other people. Today I was feeling very down and out but this thread has really given me that push to keep going! Do you think going to college was the right decision while you figured out your fastlane business? Did you know your product/angle was going to fill a void that needed filling before you made those first sales, or did it take you a while to realise you'd hit a home run?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Dan Da Man Congratulations on your success so far ! Your advice is dead on. I want to share something that reflects some of what you've said.

I went to a pretty big event last friday...The Governor, the SBA Administrator, a couple House Representatives...you get it. Lloyd Baroody gave a presentation. I had no idea who he was. Ever hear of Claritin ? Yea, he named it and headed the development and World marketing of that drug.

He also started a business in 1992 in his garage. Ten years later he sold it. It was pulling $30 million a year.

His advice that night:
  • Be Confident
  • Focus
  • Know your market very, very well
  • Be the BEST at customer service
  • Do not take NO for an answer
He talked about how he probably had first hand contact with 10 different businesses traveling from NY to MI. He said overwhelmingly the service was bad. He said if anyone challenged those businesses with supreme customer service, they would kick a$$.

So keep going man ! Keep us posted.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Really inspiring thread @Dan Da Man a truly great outcome from those years of hard work and fending off the negative opinions of other people. Today I was feeling very down and out but this thread has really given me that push to keep going! Do you think going to college was the right decision while you figured out your fastlane business? Did you know your product/angle was going to fill a void that needed filling before you made those first sales, or did it take you a while to realise you'd hit a home run?

I think people get caught up and worry about all the little things. I know I did. But in the end all that matters is that you never take no for an answer. If you tell yourself that you will die trying to be an entrepreneur and won't stop until you get there, there isn't anything that can hurt you.

As long as you can get yourself to be "okay" with the process and stop worrying about the result, you will get it eventually.

Tell yourself, "I will be an entrepreneur. I will be self-made. I won't stop until I get there. I may run into roadblocks. I may fall. I may have lots of people hurt me, but I will not give up."

Then the rest will fall in place if you keep throwing mud at the wall. Mud will fall off but something will stick.

Dan

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks a lot for sharing!!! @Dan Da Man I cannot really say much but thank you...simply reading this has been an inspiration to me...I'm getting there but not quite there yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.