The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Digger/excavator ideas

Idea threads

335bm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 7, 2014
Hey guys!
I own a Digger/Excavator like the one pictured. I have used this in my property business. Looking for other ways to create income due to a slow property market.
How can i make money with this equipment?
Rent it out? Or look for ground work, drainage, gardens etc?
What would be the best way to market this sort of business?
There are 2 (that i know of) other companies in my area with around 100 diggers each. How could i even compete with them?
Thanks in advance.
335BM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 18

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Start with a company name and a craigslist posting for misc excavator work. Brand your self with a cool name like 'Excavator Ed'. Run a set of flyers through affluent neighborhoods in the area. Take 50% upfront deposits, upsell for other work that you can contract out (like sod, walls, etc.). Once cashflow starts to stablize, look into additional crews / contractors / rentals to other landscape contractors.

People that need excavators.... plumbers, retaining wall builders, pool contractors, landscape dude, landowners that want to clear beaver dams, irrigation companies, small builder / contractors, homeowners, waterproofing companies, etc.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Drive the excavator downtown. Buy a $200 car. Get people to pay you $20/each swing to smash the car. Get an auto crash attorney to put a sign on the side for $500. Get an auto insurance company on the other side for $500. After you are finished put it on the side of the road with a "fix-a dent" sign from an auto collision repair center for $250. After a few weeks, recycle the car for $300.

Take pictures during all of this. Build a website, sell the smash service to companies that want to promote their (auto or other) business. Franchise it or buy your competitor's 100 rental units and spread across the country.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Drive the excavator downtown. Buy a $200 car. Get people to pay you $20/each swing to smash the car. Get an auto crash attorney to put a sign on the side for $500. Get an auto insurance company on the other side for $500. After you are finished put it on the side of the road with a "fix-a dent" sign from an auto collision repair center for $250. After a few weeks, recycle the car for $300.

Take pictures during all of this. Build a website, sell the smash service to companies that want to promote their (auto or other) business. Franchise it or buy your competitor's 100 rental units and spread across the country.

Jesus you're amazing. At every sentence I was thinking "What about insurance and liability?!?!" My brain is broken.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas

That was pure poetry in motion.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Training People (Upfront Costs)
  1. Find out what it would take to get people certified to drive one of those things professionally.
  2. Rent a training area to teach these people how to drive and use these.
  3. Offer a course at $300/head plus fees for certs. 10 people per class.
  4. Repeat step 3 until satisfied or scale(more teachers, land, etc...)
  5. Offer an advanced course for $500/head
  6. Profit.
I took this from Conceal Carry classes and Drivers education models.

Sell holes

1. Find someone who needs a hole
  2. Dig hole charging more than what it costs to dig the hole.
  3. Profit
There are 2 (that i know of) other companies in my area with around 100 diggers each. How could i even compete with them?
BE DIFFERENT. BE BETTER.

Take pictures of what your work looks like. Then take pictures of what a crappy job looks like.
Imply that you don't do shit work and your competitors do.

"Here at the best holes in the world inc, we take pride in our holes. That's the whole truth."

335bm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks for the advice guys! My initial thought was to carry out the digging work, never considered the training. however i love this idea. had a quick search and other companies are charging around $3000 for a 10 day training course. im not sure what the costs are i that but i imagine there is still a good profit to be made.
I am going to put a listing online tonight for general digging work, and will look into the training side of the business soon.
Thanks again.

335BM

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.