The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"The 50th Law" by 50 Cent and Robert Greene

For any book discussion

bossadolfo22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 23, 2013
Hi! I recenly read this book. It is about a philosophy of life on how we can live in a rough and violent environment with a fierce competency. It gives very good insight to us as entrepreneurs. I really recommend it.

And if someone have read it, please let me know, so we can share our ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
This book had some pretty important ideas (particularly regarding being smart, fearless and not caring what others think) but I felt at times that Robert Greene waffled on a bit just for the sake of filling pages. I'm definitely glad I read it, however I would not consider it a 'must read' or something I will read again and again.

I am currently reading 'Mastery' by Robert Greene, so far it has been fantastic.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
...but I felt at times that Robert Greene waffled on a bit just for the sake of filling pages.....

I am currently reading 'Mastery' by Robert Greene, so far it has been fantastic.
Mastery is great... but it gets long winded. His segment of the primal, hands on needs of human development were really intriguing.

JDM

The Lock Man
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
Australia
The book wasn't too bad but I would not highly recommend it. I felt that putting 50 Cent's name on it was a bit of a cop out. The book had very little to do with 50 Cent in reality.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
but I felt at times that Robert Greene waffled on a bit just for the sake of filling pages. I'm definitely glad I read it, however I would not consider it a 'must read' or something I will read again and again.

30% good info. 70% waste of time.

I wish he released a condensed version for those of us that don't enjoy reading the same thing over and over.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
I haven't read The 50th Law, but I just finished The 48 Laws of Power (I bought the kindle version but a free pdf is available online), and that book causes me to always watch my back and want to ruthlessly kill off any competition, very highly cynical haha.

I'm assuming The 50th Law is just an extension of that book. Anyone who've read both care to chime in?

And I agree with many members that most of Greene's material is overly drawn out. I listened to the audiobook of Mastery on 1.5X speed.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Watched 45 min documentary on 50 cent. Kid was str8 up hustla and go-getta. Basically just stems from his mom being killed at a young age, growing up in rough neighborhood, getting shot 9x, etc....but, he never gave up and look where he is today.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
I listened to the audiobook on youtube a month or so ago after another member posted a link about it...I still remember some of the concepts such as always being objective and not holding onto emotions. I believe this is very important for strategy and to get ahead in life...I believe it is very important that we let go of negative emotions and energy. These negative emotion(s) and energy can only serve to harm us if we hold onto them.
A majority of the concepts that underpin 50th Law or inspired the book obviously stem from Machiavelli?? I have read a bit of 'The Prince' but unfortunately never got around to completing it...Hope to do so soon, I believe the prince would also be advantageous for entrepreneurs to read and learn from.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
This book had some pretty important ideas (particularly regarding being smart, fearless and not caring what others think) but I felt at times that Robert Greene waffled on a bit just for the sake of filling pages.

I don't. I think the book is brilliant. As always, Greene's prose flows, and simply communicates complex ideas. Reducing the book's advice to merely "being smart and fearless" is certainly an oversimplification. The Chapter on Mastery alone is interesting to study, if for no other reason than it was the first time Greene explicitly discusses the concept of Mastery by name.

I'm definitely glad I read it, however I would not consider it a 'must read' or something I will read again and again.

Then you missed the point. Everything Greene says is indispensable. You don't read work like this once and then put it on the shelf with all of the other Secret-style claptrap and tripe produced for the unthinking masses.

am currently reading 'Mastery' by Robert Greene, so far it has been fantastic.

Few people know this, but the first working title of Mastery was supposed to be The Master Player. That wording calls to mind an image of a game player consulting game theory, playing with note cards, consulting the 48 laws of 33 strategies as points of reference, and playin' a game of Go on the ol' enemies. HAHA.

FYI, in an interview with Joe Rogan, Robert Greene recently stated that his next book will be about the Ubermensch (see video below).

@ChasingPaper

I haven't read The 50th Law, but I just finished The 48 Laws of Power (I bought the kindle version but a free pdf is available online), and that book causes me to always watch my back and want to ruthlessly kill off any competition, very highly cynical haha.

I'm assuming The 50th Law is just an extension of that book. Anyone who've read both care to chime in?

And I agree with many members that most of Greene's material is overly drawn out. I listened to the audiobook of Mastery on 1.5X speed.

Mastery is structured differently than the other books. The other books typically have a key idea that Greene wishes to express (a law, a strategy, etc), with multiple examples from history; he discusses both observations and transgressions of the principle in question. For each law and strategy, however, there is a "short version" of the idea, a section where Greene breaks it down for the reader in a matter of a few pages. Like anything else in life, you get from Greene what you put in. If you just read his books as you would Sunday's paper, I'm not sure how much you'll get out of it. But if you study Greene intensely, and apply his work to your life, you'll become a Master of your own domain. It's really that simple.

The ideas expressed in The 50th Law are quite distinct. I can't think of how "shit into sugar" resembles any of the 48 Laws. Lead from the Front, however, reminds me of a recent Military History documentary on Ceasar. Ceasar fought from the front, wearing his signature red cloak, and won battles this way. The troops saw him "hacking away at the enemy like a pack of animals," and they fought to the death with him.

This book had some pretty important ideas (particularly regarding being smart, fearless and not caring what others think) but I felt at times that Robert Greene waffled on a bit just for the sake of filling pages.

I don't. I think the book is brilliant. As always, Greene's prose flows, and simply communicates complex ideas. Reducing the book's advice to merely "being smart and fearless" is certainly an oversimplification. The Chapter on Mastery alone is interesting to study, if for no other reason than it was the first time Greene explicitly discusses the concept of Mastery by name.

I'm definitely glad I read it, however I would not consider it a 'must read' or something I will read again and again.

Then you missed the point. Everything Greene says is indispensable. You don't read work like this once and then put it on the shelf with all of the other Secret-style claptrap and tripe produced for the unthinking masses.

am currently reading 'Mastery' by Robert Greene, so far it has been fantastic.

Few people know this, but the first working title of Mastery was supposed to be The Master Player. That wording calls to mind an image of a game player consulting game theory, playing with note cards, consulting the 48 laws of 33 strategies as points of reference, and playin' a game of Go on the ol' enemies. HAHA.

FYI, in an interview with Joe Rogan, Robert Greene recently stated that his next book will be about the Ubermensch (see video below).

I listened to the audiobook on youtube a month or so ago after another member posted a link about it...I still remember some of the concepts such as always being objective and not holding onto emotions. I believe this is very important for strategy and to get ahead in life...I believe it is very important that we let go of negative emotions and energy. These negative emotion(s) and energy can only serve to harm us if we hold onto them.
A majority of the concepts that underpin 50th Law or inspired the book obviously stem from Machiavelli?? I have read a bit of 'The Prince' but unfortunately never got around to completing it...Hope to do so soon, I believe the prince would also be advantageous for entrepreneurs to read and learn from.

That member was probably me.

Much of Greene's work is Machiavellian. In fact, if you pay attention to interviews with Greene, you'll see that he is likened to Machiavelli. In the London Reel interview, Greene points out that Machiavelli was a low-level diplomat who did not personally wield much power. But, as Greene points out, when you take into account how much influence Machiavelli has demonstrated over the powerful in general, that helps you understand how indirectly powerful Machiavelli was and is.

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014

(plus the rest of post)

Thanks for this, I'll have to give it another read!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Yes @Ubermensch that was you who posted the link...thanks for that I will definitely have to read it

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
TIL 50 made $260 million off vitamin water.
He's a marketing genius. He was one of the first celebrities to push his brand into media, featuring it in many of his and other musician's music videos. It was after his tremendous success that other celebrities took noticed and replicated. ie, Beats, Vodkas, etc.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
He's a marketing genius. He was one of the first celebrities to push his brand into media, featuring it in many of his and other musician's music videos. It was after his tremendous success that other celebrities took noticed and replicated. ie, Beats, Vodkas, etc.

This is the way of the successful salesperson.

Be a marketing genius, and be one of the first - if not THE first - in a particular niche, from a particular approach.

YeabsiraHaile101

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 28, 2021
This book had some pretty important ideas (particularly regarding being smart, fearless and not caring what others think) but I felt at times that Robert Greene waffled on a bit just for the sake of filling pages. I'm definitely glad I read it, however I would not consider it a 'must read' or something I will read again and again.

Same here.. Mastery by Robert Greene. I'm looking forward to reading this book would you consider it a must read?

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
I read this and quite enjoyed it! Interested in the description from Fiddy about the day to day mechanics of being a street dealer. Realised how entrepreneurial a lot of these guys must be. With a different start in life etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.