The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If this was a regular person saying they're going to start a podcast in an already crowded space (interviewing startups) with everyone doing the same exact thing and a website that looks like it was made in 2001, I would tell them to either quit or do something different. (and there would've been 100+ replies saying the same thing by now as well)

But you know what you're doing so I'll just watch it evolve into something great :)

Everyone has a deal with clear channel communications, pending radio/syndication deal, access to iHeartMedia for distribution and streaming on their network, and a rolodex full of business leaders? Everyone is coming alongside entrepreneurs nationwide on Saturday mornings? Shit. I should have studied the market first. I better call my producer. Its not about a web site by the way, but the mobile version of it kicks a$$. Darn template. Interviewing startups? DAMN IT, I should have called you before I started this.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is awesome! I didn't like the page because I think Facebook is a scourge upon the Earth and my account has long been deactivated so I can get shit done, but goddamn this is great news. I like learning things about business that I can put into action, and podcasts like this help make a commute enjoyable. Wish it was more than once a week!

Thanks. Love your comments.

Even if it becomes super successful, the most we have agreed to is Saturday mornings live with one supplemental podcast midweek (which basically will be short and teasing the upcoming shows, with a little bit of bonus content.)

MJ will be on the show the week after next, and we're not going to do the standard "tell me about your childhood" questions. This will be the first time many people listening that aren't familiar with The Millionaire Fast Lane get a chance to hear that there is a whole different way of thinking than what their parents taught them. For Fastlane forum members, it should also be a great refresher on Need, Entry, Control, Scale, and Time. We have less than an hour with MJ and I am not going to waste it having him tell us what his favorite kind of dessert is.

(We already know... it's the dessert of desertion. :))

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Ted - He's going to be a guest on the show in three weeks. Content will be all about One Simple Idea. I have read the first book, but I need to read the entrepreneur version :

http://www.amazon.com/One-Simple-Idea-Startups-Entrepreneurs/dp/0071800441/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413727012&sr=1-2&keywords=one simple idea

Thanks for the reply. I think you'll really like the Entrepreneur book. It's the best one I've read and i'd completely recommend it as a "must read" to anyone getting into product dev.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I found out after we booked him on the show that my brother and sister-in-law are students of his.

I will read it within the next 2 weeks.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Excellent! Looking forward to this show! Sounds like something completely different from the 99 percent of crappy 'business' podcasts, which are mainly infomercials.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One of the interesting things we learned along the way is that most of the Saturday morning programming on radio stations nationwide is exactly that, paid infomercials. Real estate teams, financial advisors... they're buying time on radio stations (both state and nationally) to hawk their wares under the ruse of a radio show. There really isn't a news/talk radio show that airs Saturday mornings that is a destination for entrepreneurs. Some great sports radio, and a heck of a lot of paid infomercials masquerading as talk radio shows.

The nice part of our value proposition is exactly the opposite of "shows" and podcasts hawking/selling shit. We offer no "programs," aren't even really interested in plugging products from our unrelated businesses, and will be picking guests based solely on their ability to add value to us collectively as a group of entrepreneurs.

We have nothing to sell, and nothing for sale. When we have an author on, it's because the author kicks a$$. We're working on a few national sponsors, but sponsors that add value to the entrepreneur. I am mostly interested in sponsors that I would like to talk about on the air whether they were sponsors or not. Regus and Fedex Office are examples of two sponsors that would be awesome, because they have a bit role in the life of an entrepreneur.

The biggest concern for me is not dropping an f-bomb on the air. While it may make for compelling radio, it will also significantly shorten our tenure. If we're a train wreck, at least you will have a front row seat!

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Everyone has a deal with clear channel communications, pending radio/syndication deal, access to iHeartMedia for distribution and streaming on their network, and a rolodex full of business leaders? Everyone is coming alongside entrepreneurs nationwide on Saturday mornings? Shit. I should have studied the market first. I better call my producer. Its not about a web site by the way, but the mobile version of it kicks a$$. Darn template. Interviewing startups? DAMN IT, I should have called you before I started this.

Well there's that. LOL.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you want any help with podcast editing, let me know.

thank you. it is actually going to be handled in house by clear channel. I really appreciate the offer though!

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

I think you totally took his post the wrong way. Regardless, I can't wait to see this evolve. Good luck and kick some a$$!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think you totally took his post the wrong way. Regardless, I can't wait to see this evolve. Good luck and kick some a$$!

Drama makes good radio. I am just practicing. ;)

I am going to use that riff though on the show in memory of this thread. You guys can then laugh when you hear it. My co-host is a HUGE Taylor Swift fan (but don't hold that against her.)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
This thread & launch is, in itself, is a case study in trust/reputation or whatever else you want to call it. Why did everyone subscribe on a wish and hope? Because they trust Vig, because he has provided shittons of value to this forum.

The first lesson was taught before a single goddamned episode was released.

Good work.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This thread & launch is, in itself, is a case study in trust/reputation or whatever else you want to call it. Why did everyone subscribe on a wish and hope? Because they trust Vig, because he has provided shittons of value to this forum.

The first lesson was taught before a single goddamned episode was released.

Good work.

Mindful of that, now we have to put up or shut up. Now I have to exceed your expectations. It's unsustainable if we don't deliver content that will have people come back again.

I think brand loyalty is fickle. The brand either needs to hold up, or people walk.

I want the opposite. I want this to be so kick a$$ for you that you are telling people every week they have to tune in. We're going to add value to life.

If we don't, we shouldn't exist, and the market will decide.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Mindful of that, now we have to put up or shut up. Now I have to exceed your expectations. It's unsustainable if we don't deliver content that will have people come back again.

Not that you are asking but... I think the absolute, most value y'all can add is the interactive part. Take it for what it's worth.

merc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 12, 2014
I'm interested in why you chose to host this over the radio instead of having a it as a podcast or stream. With a huge rising worldwide audience and ease of use with youtube, podcasts/itunes, and streaming I feel radio and even TV as a medium of content delivery is slowly fading.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm interested in why you chose to host this over the radio instead of having a it as a podcast or stream. With a huge rising worldwide audience and ease of use with youtube, podcasts/itunes, and streaming I feel radio and even TV as a medium of content delivery is slowly fading.

We will do both

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013

I imagined three things ->
  • You have a good rolodex
  • 2 you already an audience from this forum and other sources
  • 3 you know what it takes to be successful
^This is why I think your podcast will be successful. Mainly #3.

I assume other podcasts do have rolodexs full of business leaders but, more importantly they have an audience already which brings the leaders to them as well.
http://rocketship.fm/
http://mixergy.com/interviews/
http://revision3.com/foundation (my fav)
http://www.entrepreneuronfire.com/podcasts/
etc

Mobile version of your website does not make up for the horrible experience on desktop. It may not be a important factor in your podcast but, it's still a representation of the brand and it's not hard to get a good website these days especially since you're already a millionare. Why slack in this area? You can literally probably make a thread on the forum or reply in this thread and have 10 designers begging to help you for free.

Like I said in the first reply, I think your podcast will be successful and awesome. Don't take this the wrong way.

Last edited:

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Thanks. Love your comments.

Even if it becomes super successful, the most we have agreed to is Saturday mornings live with one supplemental podcast midweek (which basically will be short and teasing the upcoming shows, with a little bit of bonus content.)

MJ will be on the show the week after next, and we're not going to do the standard "tell me about your childhood" questions. This will be the first time many people listening that aren't familiar with The Millionaire Fast Lane get a chance to hear that there is a whole different way of thinking than what their parents taught them. For Fastlane forum members, it should also be a great refresher on Need, Entry, Control, Scale, and Time. We have less than an hour with MJ and I am not going to waste it having him tell us what his favorite kind of dessert is.

(We already know... it's the dessert of desertion. :))

One question: Is a professional audio engineer doing the setup? If it sounds like one person is whispering, and the other is yelling most people will just turn it off. I've had to play yo-yo with my car volume knob before because a podcast had great information, but terrible sound.

Meaning: I will not turn off your podcast no matter what. Please dont hurt my ears.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One question: Is a professional audio engineer doing the setup? If it sounds like one person is whispering, and the other is yelling most people will just turn it off. I've had to play yo-yo with my car volume knob before because a podcast had great information, but terrible sound.

Meaning: I will not turn off your podcast no matter what. Please dont hurt my ears.

Yes. A professional audio engineer is doing the podcast.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I imagined three things ->
  • You have a good rolodex
  • 2 you already an audience from this forum and other sources
  • 3 you know what it takes to be successful
^This is why I think your podcast will be successful. Mainly #3.

I assume other podcasts do have rolodexs full of business leaders but, more importantly they have an audience already which brings the leaders to them as well.
http://rocketship.fm/
http://mixergy.com/interviews/
http://revision3.com/foundation (my fav)
http://www.entrepreneuronfire.com/podcasts/
etc

Mobile version of your website does not make up for the horrible experience on desktop. It may not be a important factor in your podcast but, it's still a representation of the brand and it's not hard to get a good website these days especially since you're already a millionare. Why slack in this area? You can literally probably make a thread on the forum or reply in this thread and have 10 designers begging to help you for free.

Like I said in the first reply, I think your podcast will be successful and awesome. Don't take this the wrong way.

1. I like the web site, so I don't share your opinion. It does what we need it to do for today.
2. The web site is almost zero percent critical to the show. All of our interaction will be live, on FB, on Twitter, and on the radio station's web site
3. The content will not be housed at this web site, but at the radio station's web site. Our business model has nearly zero to do with any web site, other than our hosts.
4. Don't spend money where you don't need to spend money (most critical point)
5. It is likely only in place until the content moves onto the broadcast company's web site. Not even sure if long term we personally will maintain one.
6. I don't want anyone to do anything for free for me, ever. Then you owe them something. I don't want to owe anyone anything. Nothing is ever truly free.

However, I am glad you looked at it, and appreciate your comments none the less.

Last edited:

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Love the idea! Looking forward to the show.

2. The web site is almost zero percent critical to the show. All of our interaction will be live, on FB, on Twitter, and on the radio station's web site
3. Our business model has nearly zero to do with any web site, other than our hosts.

The content is the product, not the web site.

Relevant....

"I think there's a good chance that in five to ten years the internet is going to look really different, just like it did five or ten years ago," said Burton, "and one of those trends might be that people consume media within the places where they're also networking with their friends."

Via: Summer Anne Burton, BuzzFeed

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I found out after we booked him on the show that my brother and sister-in-law are students of his
Wow. That's funny.

I've definitely benefited from the inventRight coaching, and I've send a few fellow FastLaners on to them as well.

I'm curious as to how many people actually follow up once they purchase the coaching. I'd bet it's like this:

50% - have one project they pursue and don't go beyond that.
35% - try a couple of projects.
10% - keep on pushing and make it work.
5% - are really successful.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I bet your statistics are favorably skewed. I bet even less are action takers than you might think. Signing up for the coaching program, in and of itself, might for some be a tremendous (and expensive) action fake.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I bet your statistics are favorably skewed.
I'll find this out at some point - I'm really curious about it. Life tends toward the 80/20 rule, after all.

An anecdote: I started on my first project, then had to take a 6 week hiatus. Then I reengaged and started having regular meetings with the inventright team. One of them said "You'll do well...you didn't go away..." - so i got the definite message that a lot do start out, and then drop out.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
People are looking for the short cut. If there is one thing you can learn by becoming a student of the posters on this forum, it's that a large % of people get disillusioned when they find out that the Millionaire Fast Lane isn't a get rich quick scheme. Life is hard. Hard work... is hard.

However, I believe that Steven Key has outlined a process that will work for those who are willing to do what it takes. It might not happen the first time, or the second, but I think tenacity is a critical component of finding the Fast Lane.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I completely agree. And, there are parts of the process you get better at each time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.