The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you be smart and fail?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Stack$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 1, 2014
I mean in general whats the role of intelligence in the whole process of entrepreneurship in your opinion
Moreso, is it a defining factor?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Stack$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 1, 2014
Thats what I'm saying, some of my employers were so primitive.. it was just like wow. and stacked as hell

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
I think drive and execution play the most important role. You can be a genius but you might be lazy and lack drive. I think it was Henry Ford that said something along the lines of

"I'm not an expert at anything but I have access to experts in everything."

That tells me right there that execution is > than smarts.

Stack$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 1, 2014
I personally am friends with a 21 y.o. heir of a bakery fortune with a proven genius (160) IQ and he is lazy as hell
with those kind of opportunities you can do whatever yet he chose to study at a mediocre a$$ local college of ours and says stuff like he will never go abroad because he wont be a construction worker :dead: and stuff. the minute he was cut off from the fortune he just spends all days smoking weed

I definitely agree with drive - just plain old hard work, putting in the hours, processing all the info, that can really get you ahead

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
of course

I know a couple millionaires that aren't too bright, and vice versa. Doesn't mean much. If you aren't literally mentally challenged/handicap then there's no problem.

lies :p

No, not lies. This kind of question doesn't belong on the forum. It's not a debate, it's not interesting, it doesn't lead to action, and it doesn't break any limiting beliefs.

Sometimes I feel like I contribute to the fluff rather than help erase it. This is one of those times. I regret posting on this thread at all.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
No, not lies. This kind of question doesn't belong on the forum. It's not a debate, it's not interesting, it doesn't lead to action, and it doesn't break any limiting beliefs.

Sometimes I feel like I contribute to the fluff rather than help erase it. This is one of those times. I regret posting on this thread at all.
It can certainly contribute to the forum. I'm sure there's lots of people who are discouraged of pursuing the fastlane simply because they feel inadequate or stupid.

A topic like this can encourage and motivate them to pursue their dreams without blaming everything on their small IQ score.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
D

DeletedUser394

I was making a poorly executed joke.

You said thread closed, so I called you a liar because you aren't a mod and don't have the ability to close a thread.

Bad joke, the end.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Resourcefulness is what matters

Whatever you have, utilise it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I was making a poorly executed joke.

You said thread closed, so I called you a liar because you aren't a mod and don't have the ability to close a thread.

Bad joke, the end.

Whoosh on my part LOL

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You can use smart to make yourself feel good while waiting for the success to just happen because you are smart. I have used it. It's a horrible excuse to procrastinate (you see, my forum username is not random).

Or you can drop what you think is smart and take action towards what you feel is right.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
My opinion (doesnt mean its true for every smart person)

When you re too smart, you start thinking that the world owes you something. When you think in that way, you start waiting to get what you want without failing along the way.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

When you re too smart, you start thinking that the world owes you something. When you think in that way, you start waiting to get what you want without failing along the way.

Exactly. This has been me for a long time. Although I knew no one owes me anything, I subconsciously used to sabotage success by over complicating simple things, trying to make everything perfect to the point that the project in hand would become a complete mess ad then I'd just drop it and start another idea.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
Well, which type of intelligence are we talking about? Raw smarts can get folks places - they may see connections others don't, have the ability to make a product themselves, put the pieces together and execute. Then there is emotional intelligence which can propel others to identifying those who can help them execute their vision. Princess Diana claimed herself that she wasn't very smart, but her emotional IQ was off the charts and she made enormous contributions to charitable works.

Either way, you won't get anywhere without action.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
'The ignorant have no fear.' - Jack Ma

I wish I wasn't as 'smart' sometimes. It does nothing but scare the shit out of you when you inflate the size of the monster.

Stack$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 1, 2014
well grades were never an

Yeah but thats what I mean by intelligence...like the smarter you are the more righteous your judgment is gonna be, right ? (or no) this is where I see the connection between success
take better smarter courses of action...

But I see from my own experience how ignorance makes you bold and then in turn you have experience that means more than anything...

Last edited:

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
well grades were never an

Yeah but thats what I mean by intelligence...like the smarter you are the more righteous your judgment is gonna be, right ? (or no) this is where I see the connection between success
take better smarter courses of action...

But I see from my own experience how ignorance makes you bold and then in turn you have experience that means more than anything...

the problem is when you get caught up deciding which course of action for too much time.

IYou will start getting too overwhelmed with all the potential problems that will inevitably appear along the way. And with that comes a irrational fear, paralysis.

When you are not "too smart" you dont go too far with your thinking about the future. You do what you have to do today.

Edit: Being Smart helps of course, im talking about cases of people that are above average in term of intelligence.

jarecki

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 22, 2013
Warsaw
I'm a proven almost-genius - IQ 139. One thing I know for sure, intelligence makes you more vulnerable to excuses. You've got to make your mind right for a little longer than 'usual Joe' and probably you're a little more ADD.

But it's doable.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
At the end of the day it's all about action. I can have the intelligence to get anything done, but, if I don't act, it won't happen. Why are there a lot of well educated broke people? I know a lot of people who did exceptional in University and they're doing the rat race all too well, yet, they're still struggling. Why? I also know people who excelled in University and are doing great too, what made them different? I didn't go to University, but how come I'm pushing through further than my 'well educated' counterparts? Action/Process/Action/Process... :)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I have been considered highly intelligent my whole life (by many objective measures, grades, IQ tests, feedback from other people) and it has been primarily a limitation in achieving my goals.

Intelligent people are often perfectionists (which leads to being stuck), afraid to make mistakes, have trouble delegating because they can do everything better than everyone else and many other traits that don't lead to fastlane success - they do make good employees however. :(

Great idea people with poor execution skills unless they get outside direction.

The challenge for me has been all about becoming balanced rather than relying on intelligence. It has been something that requires a lot of honesty as when you've been told you're intelligent your entire life, as trait that is highly valued in our society, it can be difficult to understand why you don't feel like you are living up to your potential.

....good topic for discussion.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
If you look at the scales we create to judge people there is no accurate scale that is used elsewhere that attributes to higher chances of success in business.

Scaling yourself is just mental masturbation, and you probably do it in an attempt to comfort yourself.
We all try to comfort ourselves, because business is stressful, but the only real comfort is growth and staying positive as you act bravely.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
IMO less intelligent people connect better with the general population, understand their needs and wants better, if they have any desire to. Just as an example, think about how many stupid songs are out now and people just eat them up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.