The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling my old domain names to my new LLC?

ffp504

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 31, 2014
Hello,

I am wanting to move my domain names I personally own to my recently setup LLC. I bought all of these domains for future use. Some speculation of higher value. I also want full protection my domain offers before I do any thing commercial with these names.

What is the best way to go about this. Is it as simple as writing a bill of sale for $1 to my LLC?

More confusion is moving this around in my godaddy account.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I would just change the whois and billing adress and be done with it...

Might be wrong advice though, I dont have a clue :)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
License them to your LLC and use that as a way to pay yourself some money out of the company!

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Hello,

I am wanting to move my domain names I personally own to my recently setup LLC. I bought all of these domains for future use. Some speculation of higher value. I also want full protection my domain offers before I do any thing commercial with these names.

What is the best way to go about this. Is it as simple as writing a bill of sale for $1 to my LLC?

More confusion is moving this around in my godaddy account.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

As long as you are not insolvent I don't see a problem with what you are proposing (i.e. no fraudulent transfer considerations) and the $1 idea makes sense to me (absent a fraudulent transfer claim, courts will not generally contest the amount of consideration paid) ... and if the domains are not being used ... all the more reason to say ... go for it.

Seems like a fairly harmless transaction to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ffp504

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 31, 2014
License them to your LLC and use that as a way to pay yourself some money out of the company!

This seems interesting. Can you explain further on how & why i should do this?
Thanks,

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Sign an agreement between you and your LLC. You bill them a certain amount per month / quarter / year / etc. for licensed use of the domain (make sure there is an indemnify clause). If your LLC is on accrual, you book the cost immediately and increase your basis in the company. Later, the LLC cuts a check to pay the invoice. This is non W2 (thus no FICA) income to you.

If you missed any of what was said, it is time to get a couple of accounting books and to hit irs.gov to review and learn!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.