The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it a waste of time to read too much?

MVProduct

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Dec 12, 2013
Check out these quotes:

What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence, a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it. - Herbert Simon

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking. - Albert Einstein

Now before you get me wrong- don't get mislead by the thread title. Reading is definitely important and the benefits are substantial. But, consider this: when you're reading, you're technically not taking action. You're idle. So, in this respect, is it worth it to read every single business/entrepreneurship book you can get your hands on, or focus more on taking action while acquiring "just-in-time" information?

I've got dozens of books in different areas of business. I've got general entrepreneurship books, books on writing, books on body language, charisma, behaviour, communication, etc. And then I've got autobiographies of successful entrepreneurs as well as programming books. My question to you is- do you think it's a good use of time to voraciously consume everything? Is this effective or even necessary?

OR- do you only focus on those books that are relevant to your business at that particular time?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MVProduct

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Dec 12, 2013
I'd also like to know if reading too much has a backfire effect. What I've realized amongst successful entrepreneurs is that they share something in common: they're all big readers and read immensely during their time in the entrepreneurial trenches. So, it makes sense then that we should be heavy readers as well. But how much is TOO much?

There's a part of me which believes that reading too much can hamper your imagination and disrupt your ability to produce genuine and original thoughts.

Freakwinger

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 17, 2014
Montreal
How can reading 1 or 2 hours a day be detrimental to your actions ? It feeds your brain. You don't have to read 12 hours a day to gain any benefits, and Einstein probably read ten times what we have read in our lifetime before saying this.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I think that if you mistake reading for taking action then it can be a problem. Some people get the idea that they are making progress and they are taking action because they read 2-3 hours a day- when in actuality reading is not taking action.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I think that if you mistake reading for taking action then it can be a problem. Some people get the idea that they are making progress and they are taking action because they read 2-3 hours a day- when in actuality reading is not taking action.

This.

And the same goes for podcasts, blogs, and basically anything that makes you feel like you are doing something towards you goal, when really you aren't. Of course, posting in this forum is(n't) included ;)

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Startups are not the time to use up any superfluous time/energy. Having a background never hurts, but that's what happens in college. Startups are much more rapid and focused. You can't treat it like studying for a test or preparing for your career. You are exactly right when you say, "only focus on those books that are relevant to your startup at that particular time." In fact, I'll even go as far as saying skip most books; they take too long for this. Go to Google/Youtube/forum/talking to people instead. :p Most books are/become outdated since they can't be updated like the internet, and stuff changes quickly. If you find a relevant book with lots of direct and actionable information, that can be worth it, like MJ's book.

However, I'd have to disagree with reading not being considered taking action unless it's in regards to literally "physical action." It is taking action mentally, but will, of course, only be valuable if you then follow it up with application of what you just read. I'll admit, some days I'll spend the whole day watching entrepreneurs speak or reading about double sided markets and writing down notes for what my next move will be, and those have helped a TON with preventing big mistakes. The only problem is that there's an endless amount to read, so you have to stop at some point.

In my opinion, the more of a calculated risk taker someone is, the more they'll want to prevent bad things, and the more they'll read. That can work. The more of a "trial and error" person someone is, the less they'll read and the more they'll do. That can work too. In my opinion, you should be more calculated if you have more responsibility for other people's lives and money. If not much is at stake for anyone, go crazy. :p

Just remember, "A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others." That's something worth thinking about.

Edit: Swapped "business" for "startup," slightly different things. ;)

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
When talking about non-fiction, its very important to read, but only stuff thats really useful to you, otherwise its action faking and a waste of time.

Since my business is starting to take off and I juggle it with a leading position in my day job I have less and less time to read, so I mainly focus my reading on relevant blog posts (advertising, conversion optimization, etc).

Most non-fiction books are kinda blown up and the important stuff can usually be compressed in a few pages. Thats why I'm thinking about investing in a http://www.getabstract.com/ subscription.

They also have another subscription for classic literature, which also sounds interesting to expand your mind..
This one also looks interesting: https://www.entheos.com/philosophersnotes

Fiction is a different thing. Not reading anything in that area right now and havent for a long time but I want to integrate this into my daily routine as a way of winding down in the evening. Maybe half an hour or so in the evening before bed. Good fiction gets your creativity flowing, helps your writing style, etc, all while being relaxing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
while acquiring "just-in-time" information?

This is how I read/learn. I take action and when I discover I lack a particualar skill/knowledge/awareness, I'll pursue the reading. The process of problem solving is Action > Assess > Adjust. The "Adjust" is where books can play a role. In the end, excessive book reading can definitely be action-faking.

For writers, you can never read too many books. You start to recognize great writing vs good writing vs bad writing.

Great top, thanks for the discussion.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
You should focus on those books that are relevant to your business at that particular time.

We live in a world where there is a paradox of choice because of too much information. People get paralyzed and they don't even know what decisions to make.

Be careful with books. There are an estimate of 130 million books published. If you over read, you will walk away confused.

MJ is right. You should read when you lack skill/knowledge/awareness.

Remember, not all books have your best interest at heart. The end goal of most authors is to sell as many copies as they can.

There are usually only 1-3 main takeaways in a book. The rest of the text are usually examples or fillers.

Nobody will buy a 1 page book, but everyone would buy a 200 page book because if appears as if more value is offered.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
What works for one person doesn't work for all. Just ask yourself, is this helping me further my goals?

About a year ago, I spent most of my spare time reading about business and entrepreneurship. Because the truth is, I didn't really know anything beyond what I read.

Today, I work on my business mostly, and I read a lot less, but I don't regret all that time I spent reading, because it got me to where I am now.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
There was a point that I fell into action-faking by reading too much. I bought everything I could on a particular subject, I still have unopened books. I only did it out of fear, I wanted to learn everything so I don't make mistakes and if I do I'd know how to solve it. But then I start to see patterns and repetition with the material and realized that there are a tonnn of regurgitated information out there.

The moment you see that things are starting to repeat itself, the next logical step is to take action. As MJ pointed out, read what you need to know at that moment. No matter how much you read or how much information you absorbed, shit will happen and things will come up that no book has covered because the situation is unique to you. Trust in the process and trust yourself.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
It's embarrassing to admit it but I was guilty of this it's as if I would read one thing and was ready to go then I read something entirely different than the first source then paralysis analysis would take over .
Then Id spend a few days googling.
X vs Y
Y or X
Is X good?
Is y good?
Reviews.....
and this would make it even worse because I went from verification of my idea to what something in a book , site , pdf or whatever said and then through this research I would find negatives and that would kill my motivation and then I started to say to myself....How can I be sure an idea would work at the beginning but after reading more about it my motivation would be shot?

It was as if I started to look for verification of why an idea wouldn't work and I would just be lost in research upon research until I got tired of not doing anything so I spoke with a businessman (entrepreneur) and he recomended "Think Rich Grow Rich" and I can say that after finishing the book I no longer suffer from this toxic habit and read as needed rather than to verify (within reason).

So I would say its easy to start reading all manner of books and isolate yourself in this world of "grinding out the process" or "action faking".

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
As Mom always said.

"A reading man is a ready man."

Don't let anyone deter you from reading.

But, with all things, you must have a system (or as with any habit, it can get out of hand)

Perhaps, have a biography on hand all the time --- any person can stand to bask in the great glow of history's great men and women. Read these for recreation. 1hr a day?

Biographies are great because they also can give you a 'snapshot' of a long forgotten era. Sometime better than a cold history book.

It makes you a better conversationalist as well. An underrated skill.

Perhaps have a personal dev book on hand as well. (body, mind, spirit, habits, etc alternate). Some books like these can keep you close to the latest scientific developments in all these areas. Sometimes better than digesting abstract studies? Just throwing out random suggestions.

Of course have 1 book at a time... related to your current trade -- resolve to put your takeaways from it into action ASAP.

--

But anyhow, the ball is in your court to do what you will. Some people need to read 5 times as much as others here. Some need a kick in the pants to go take action.

Your own dissatisfaction with your current lifestyle should provide you with the 'inspiration' for what to do next.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Djs87

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 24, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think this topic requires too much consideration. At the end of the day ask yourself one thing. ''What have I accomplished today?'' If your answer is reading, then you're doing too much reading.

I read on my phone when I'm standing in line, at work, or taking a shit. Otherwise I'm working.

jake1720

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 9, 2014
Take action all day. Audiobooks, read on the bus. You learn some very valuable lessons. Read for 1-2 hours at night. Read when there's nothing else going on.

I'm getting my shit together. It's not an escape. I don't need motivation because the motivation is built into discipline through habits. I'll sometimes spend a saturday at Barnes and Noble reading all day.

It's like my hobby. Still have to take massive action however.

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
Nothing's a waste of time, the question is will it get you to your goals? You have to be honest and decide that for yourself.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
The 80/20 rule applies to learning no less than anything else.

80 percent of the benefit ... is derived from 20 percent of the content.

And the critical 20 percent tends to be what you learn early on -- the fundamentals.

The more you beat a subject to death ... the more time you waste focused on the low value 80 percent.

You can (for example) only read so many books on sales and marketing before it all starts to sound like a broken record.

I have very little interest in reading (yet) another book on that subject.

Been there. Done that. Got it.

Any new benefit derived ... would be marginal.

On the flip side ... show me a well written book about a topic I know nothing about ... and I just might find the time.

So yes ... you can spend "too much" time reading ... no question about it.

But quite often ... I think the more apt critique is too much on "one subject."

Master the fundamentals.

Then get to work.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
the perfect reading to real world life ratio is 2.123939018938e^23123

balance in body and mind

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
One thing I will say is that theres a lot of books that are too damn long for no reason. A book like MJ's I wouldnt have minded if it was even longer. It was just a great read. But those books are few and far between.

To me most business books are just long for the sake of filling pages. Im not a fan of the... Main thought and then heres 5 stories to illustrate the point. Like The Lean Startup I just read. Like many books that thing could have been 100 pages. But authors must be pressured to fill more pages? The meat of most business books is found in under 100 pages I think. The rest is filler or more stories then needed to explain the same points. I find myself skimming through some books to get to the main ideas.

I have just started to listen to audio books for the first time. Kinda nice to be able to listen to them in the car instead of music or radio. May as well learn something while driving instead of listening to sports shows filling air time.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
[QUOTE="Shades, post: 408319, member: 5623]To me most business books are just long for the sake of filling pages .[/QUOTE]

Like Steven Covey and that (piece of shit) Seven Habits series ...? All of which could have been condensed to a single paragraph ...? Grrrrrrr. I hate books that waste my time.

Golden rule ... If the author "teaches" for a living ... his or her book has ZERO credibility ... and is pretty much guaranteed to suck.

I ONLY read books by self made men. They are the ONLY people whose opinions I value.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Reading is essential like many other things in life, but too much can be detrimental , however, I doubt most people read "too much." In today's society consider your free time options (in the free time you take from actually working on your business) and no I don't mean vacations, although it's one of my favorite times to read, re-arm, and clarify my point of view through reading. If you're sitting at home with free time you can Read, work on goals, plan, watch tv, look at facebook, surf the internet.... but only three of those are productive uses of free time and goals/planning are limited to where you are in your business or life. Eg: you can't plan beyond your belief.

Everyone is different and self-help junkies give reading a bad name. They love to "feel" like they are taking action without taking it.

But personally I find reading expands my beliefs in the possible, stirs my creative juices (I only read non-fiction/business/self-help) and picks me up when it's been one of those "unbelievable" days at the office. Without reading I would still be the grad student that didn't know what to do with my life besides the mantra of get a good education, get a good job, work 40 years, die.

As a side note, unless I was aspiring to be a writer I find fiction to be an utter waste of time and I can't get past the first few pages of any novel, so I simply don't pick them up anymore. My time is a precious resource that's limited so I prefer to live by Benjamin Franklins quote "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing about." And besides my journal I don't like to write ;).

Golden rule ... If the author "teaches" for a living ... his or her book has ZERO credibility ... and is pretty much guaranteed to suck.
Love this, and I agree once you've gotten to a certain point the ones who just "teach" begin to look more bland, regardless of the good advice they have.

kaqm

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 1, 2014
I'm fortunate to have a lot of down time in my day job. I use that for reading because that's the only way to move forward while I'm at work. Outside I limit it so I can get stuff done in the available time.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Surprised nobody commented on the Copywriting Challenge yet... that requires a lot of reading

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
I don't mind "wasting" time reading good stuff. To me it's time well spent, even if I could do something else in the meantime.
I noticed that I can apply stuff that I've read about YEARS ago.
By that time, I didn't even know that what I was reading would be important someday.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Some people definitely get sucked into this mental masturbation phase where all they do is read self-help books, never getting anywhere. Around the time I read TMF the first time I was sorta one of those people. My line of thinking was "I have to read this book, that book, and this, THEN I will start taking action."

The thing is, you never actually take action. You just add more books to your "reading" list. Personally I now follow the reading "rule" outlined in The 4 Hour Work Week; 1 non-fiction book at a time, and ONLY if there is a purpose to it.

Purposes like "to get inspiration" or "to give me ideas for how to start a business" do not count. Those are bullshit excuses not to take action. At that point you may as well watch TV or play Xbox, because both are making the same amount of difference in helping you reach your goals.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Some people definitely get sucked into this mental masturbation phase where all they do is read self-help books, never getting anywhere. Around the time I read TMF the first time I was sorta one of those people. My line of thinking was "I have to read this book, that book, and this, THEN I will start taking action."

The thing is, you never actually take action. You just add more books to your "reading" list. Personally I now follow the reading "rule" outlined in The 4 Hour Work Week; 1 non-fiction book at a time, and ONLY if there is a purpose to it.

Purposes like "to get inspiration" or "to give me ideas for how to start a business" do not count. Those are bullshit excuses not to take action. At that point you may as well watch TV or play Xbox, because both are making the same amount of difference in helping you reach your goals.

And really, once you have read a good number of books there are many that just say the same things in different ways. Theres a lot of books out there that just arent worth the time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.