The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't You Dare

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
In 3 months, I will no longer be welcome to live in my home of over 13 years.

I am 18 years old.

Don’t you dare feel sorry for me.

I was on track to go to college, reapply to the US Military Academy, and become an officer. I was going to serve, then start into a high-paying career as a (insert slowlane job). My parents were over the moon with pride.

And then I changed my mind.

Now, just one month after beginning my supposed “gap year”, it has been made clear that I need to be out by the end of this semester. They are embarrassed to tell friends what I’m doing, and have told me so directly. I have gone from the perfect child to the black sheep.

And I have never felt more free.

Before me are presented two options.

Option One: Take my parents’ money and some loans, attend college like a “good boy”, and graduate with an average job and average life trying to pay back all my debt.

Option Two: Move out, live within my meager means for as long as necessary, and pursue my Fastlane plan. If I deem it valuable, I can then attend college with my own money.

Guess which one I’m going to choose?

Luckily, I’m not jumping into this blindly. I have 4 actionable, scalable, and valuable Fastlane business plans lined up. One is in its early stages, and already making money. The other three are waiting to either be the next step in wealth creation or a backup plan in case this one fails.

I have never been more scared in my life.

But what’s life without taking risks?

I choose the Fastlane.

I choose freedom.

I choose life.

And don't you dare feel sorry for me.

This might evolve into a progress thread if I feel like it will add value. But for now, I just hope I can encourage the younger Fastlaners to make the tough decisions. Life's too short to wait for your big break.

Go out and make it for yourself.

Till next time!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I started reading this with an "oh shit... here we go again" gut feeling.

I ended your post cheering for you.

Go out there and F*cking make it happen.

We're here for you. MAKE SHIT HAPPEN.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They are embarrassed to tell friends what I’m doing, and have told me so directly. I have gone from the perfect child to the black sheep.

Are you Asian? Being disowned for taking the non-college path is pretty common in the Asian culture so it would not be unusual.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Go out there and F*cking make it happen.

Thank you for the support! Trust me. I most certainly will F*cking make it happen.

As for the question of my race, my parents are from Chicago and Southern Illinois with not a trace of Asian. I haven't really experienced this level of shaming from them before, but then again I've always done what was "right" in their minds. I refuse to let it deter me though.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am over 40, relatively successful, and far accomplished beyond my parents humble achievements.

They still wish...

that I would go to college.

Even now.

As do my wife's parents.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Without any amount of offense to them, as I'm sure they're wonderful people, I think that's a pretty crystal clear example of the downright brainwashing that so many people are subjected to and unfortunately adopt. I can't imagine how little the congratulations of an unaccomplished teenager must mean, but I will simply say that your ability to break free and remain so is truly inspiring. Thank you :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I am over 40, relatively successful, and far accomplished beyond my parents humble achievements.

They still wish...

that I would go to college.

Even now.

As do my wife's parents.
Huh, I always thought you did.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Huh, I always thought you did.

I went to college. Had a blast. Never graduated. Never attended classes. Never did any homework.

I gave my daughter a tour of that campus years later. All I could show her was the sand volleyball pits and the cafeteria. And the dorm I stayed in.

I worked (at Best Buy) and partied, and dated my future wife. Pretty much did everything most college kids do, except go to class, study, and pass classes.

Later in life, I got a pre-law (paralegal) certification from the same University, paid for by one of my clients.

I had a tee shirt that said "Best Buy University." My parents didn't see the humor in it.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Easy fixed bro, line up a job, start now.
Preferably higher paid, that gives you time to work on your biz.
Then line up a place.
Grieve (lol) in privacy, and grow (parents are douchebags about this stuff, and no one tells you that while you are growing up, its sh#t).

Truthfully you can choose any city you want/job you want.
Most college jobs are BS anyways. I have a surgeon friend that is like "bah, screw this", I have a lawyer friend that pretty much quit law to do something he liked better.

Don't make the mistake that you need to save loads of money to be an entrepreneur. I just freelance. You just need to get good at business to do it. It'll take you a good 5 years of pushing through hell.

Parents are just a dead weight anyways, you are better off the f outta there imho.
Biz will give you all the drama you crave :p

Btw, parents and this golden child sh#t is their own selfish ego.
You can't change people, especially not your parents, so choose how YOU want to deal with it. They aren't your authority figures anymore.

Cheers to you man,
The longest journey starts with a single step

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
As I read this, i just started clapping for you, mate. Then after a minute I came to my senses and realized I was clapping in front of a computer screen.

You got this, champ. Take what's yours, build your vision, and give no F*cks.

At 18, you should be incredibly proud of yourself for having this kind of courage.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
@RougeInnovation and @Ninjakid, thank you for your support!

@RogueInnovation: Luckily, I already have a fairly well-paying job filled with happy and fun people and that doesn't suck. That being said, I would definitely prefer not to live on someone else's schedule and payroll! As for my parents I still love them and will eventually be able to get around this, but for now I do need to sever myself a bit and get my shit figured out. Thank you for your encouragement and advice, it really does mean more than I can say.

@Ninjakid: I thought I heard clapping! ;) But seriously, thank you. I'm sure someday I'll look back and be proud of my 18-year-old self and this massive decision...but for now I'm just scared shitless! Giving no F*cks might become my mantra as well. Thank you for the dose of motivation, and I know someday I'll be able to report back with true Fastlane success!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
This happened to me a few years ago.

Got into an argument with my dad over not having a job and told me to get the F*ck out of his house and never come back.

Lived in my car and showered at the gym and got a P.O. Box.

What seemed like a depressing situation was actually very empowering in that I felt independent and in control.

Tried everything in my power to learn as much about business and life as I could. Barnes and Nobles, the library, the internet, anything. Even though I just graduated college with a business degree I felt like a lot of the material was old school and outdated and did very little to give me an insight into our modern high tech business environment.

Literally had Zero dollars.

And I had $15k in credit card debt. Bankruptcy would have been the easy way out but I didn't want to burn American Express. Because then I would never be able to get an Amex charge card for the rest of my life. Because I knew that being a business owner was my destiny and I knew that I needed at least some form of financing and no bank would give me a loan. Now I have an amex plum card and its invaluable.

Learn as much as you can about business, about technology, about everything. Everything than expands your understanding about yourself, the world and business READ it. Magazines, anything.

The "no matter what" attitude is what makes people successful and it looks like you have it.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
@socaldude: Like you said, on the outside that's a pretty depressing situation to be in. But I can totally see how that would be empowering coming from the environment that you did. A lot of respect to you for having the guts to make it through and see the positives when a lot of people would've bitched about it or looked for some sort of personal bailout. As for your advice to read like crazy, I've definitely been doing that. It's been a lifelong obsession, but in the past few years it has really turned to personal development. Now its entrepreneurship! Thanks for taking the time to share your story and give such solid advice. I can't tell you how much it means to me!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
My question: why do we have to be enslaved to other people's ideas of what success should be in the first place. It is our choice to be who we want to be. To be a side walk person you give up all responsibility for your life. Slow lane as well. You become a people pleaser. Yuck! And there is no happiness in following the herd. People have to be such control freaks. Once you've walked out of the Matrix you can never turn back, and who would want too. I feel sad for people that don't get it. That will never get it. And you can never play stupid when you know the world isn't the reality they project on to the world.

So I say follow your dreams and if you're going to do it, do it right, so you never have to listen to all their judgments, naysaying, negative crap again.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
I wish you make it OP! Be aware, suddenly EVERYONE will be against you, old schoolmates, friends (if close friends they may be not direct about it althought you will feel their dishonesty) parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.
Just kill it and kill it fast. You are your own biggest obstacle.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
@Mattie: That's my question exactly, and I couldn't have put it any more succinctly. I really don't understand why everyone is so set on imposing their own definition of success on everyone else, especially those who are actually trying to achieve it. Thank you for the encouraging words, and I plan on doing it absolutely right to avoid all of this negativity in the future!

@rogen: Thanks for the encouragement! Unfortunately I know exactly what you're talking about; in some cases it's gone as far as a nasty two page letter from my grandmother saying how doomed I am to fail. I tore it up and threw it away ;) I'll kill it as quickly as I can...best of luck on whatever you're currently pursing/plan to in the future!

Azif

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 4, 2014
You sir, just made my day, and I was feeling pretty down right now, just the motivation to not go to sleep and keep working

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
@Azif

:)

I'm happy to hear it man. The fact that you have something you're working on puts you a step ahead of everyone else...just execute it and you'll be a mile ahead! All the best to you!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Seems we're all getting our sword out and slicing away the negative naysayers. :) Yes! I suppose if we were like them we wouldn't be doing all the work. Hmm...you never know until you act. It sounds better than sitting around on the couch flipping channels, gossiping on the phone, and nay saying. I figure if we all succeed, we can give them something to really gossip about. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.