The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to do with a college fund with $15,000

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Hey,

So I graduate highschool next year and my college fund has about $15,000. My mom is pretty open to letting me do whatever I want with it to invest in myself, whether that be college, trade school or anything else. I'm looking to invest it into my learning as well although what do you think is the best way to go about using it?

I was thinking about getting a certificate or associates in information security or possibly programming of some sorts.

Down the road I'm looking to own businesses though and just want to make the best decisions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Last edited by a moderator:

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
I already know I'm going to college, although I'm asking for some suggestions for some routes to go in college.

Sorry about that. My mistake. Thought you were asking the "should I go to college?"

But I still stand by that list of links. The "what should I major/get a degree in" has also been hit multiple times throughout those threads. Give them a shot.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Sorry about that. My mistake. Thought you were asking the "should I go to college?"

But I still stand by that list of links. The "what should I major/get a degree in" has also been hit multiple times throughout those threads. Give them a shot.

Will do, checking it out now. Thanks!

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1595552790/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Great book. It seems like a lot of times people will say "Everyone should skip college and do X instead" or "Everyone should go to college". I think both are wrong. The book basically goes into details about where college makes sense and where you're wasting your time. Helped me with my decision making, I'd recommend it.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
http://www.amazon.com/College-Worth-Secretary-Education-Graduate/dp/1595552790/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412123173&sr=8-1&keywords=is college worth it

Great book. It seems like a lot of times people will say "Everyone should skip college and do X instead" or "Everyone should go to college". I think both are wrong. The book basically goes into details about where college makes sense and where you're wasting your time. Helped me with my decision making, I'd recommend it.

Yea, I mean I know I'm going to college or at least some form of higher education it's just that I don't really know what to go for. I'm not really overly passionate about anything but will probably end up going for some type of web development, information security or something along those lines.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I wouldn't even bother getting just your associates- I think that if you are going to go to college just commit and get a Bachelors. I have my associates, and it is a pretty BS degree, and it doesn't do much for you as far as opportunities go.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
If you're dead set on IT, go to a trade school for it. 3 of my friends went to http://www4.stanbridge.edu/s9/content/it-overview and easily got entry level jobs in IT, then moved up the ladder. The alumni/current student NETWORK in trade schools is also strong because most students there get hired WHILE they are in school. It's harder than community college but you're also doing specifically what you want to study and not having to take a too many of BS unrelated courses.

If you're not so sure, go to a community college and take different classes that interest you, but for the love of god don't take "business" or "entrepreneurship". "Those who can't do, teach." quote applies to the people teaching those two perfectly. You can't learn business in a classroom, only specific (preferably technical) skills for it.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
If you're interested in becoming a programmer I'd suggest you take this route rather than go to a typical college. http://devbootcamp.com

G

Guest24480

If you're dead set on IT, go to a trade school for it. 3 of my friends went to http://www4.stanbridge.edu/s9/content/it-overview and easily got entry level jobs in IT, then moved up the ladder. The alumni/current student NETWORK in trade schools is also strong because most students there get hired WHILE they are in school. It's harder than community college but you're also doing specifically what you want to study and not having to take a too many of BS unrelated courses.

If you're not so sure, go to a community college and take different classes that interest you, but for the love of god don't take "business" or "entrepreneurship". "Those who can't do, teach." quote applies to the people teaching those two perfectly. You can't learn business in a classroom, only specific (preferably technical) skills for it.
Maybe that quote applies to the teachers at a community college but I actually have some really successful professors teaching at my school.

One of my professors last year taught one class a week and is a millionaire. He just teaches for fun. Some of my other professors are retired top executives from marketing firms.

Not to mention I have an array of free seminars/presentations by successful people that I can go to whenever and learn a lot.

Business school isn't a waste especially if you like the content and wouldn't mind going into a business field if your own endeavors don't end up working out.

Yeah, business is about learning by doing but so isn't almost every other field out there.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Maybe that quote applies to the teachers at a community college but I actually have some really successful professors teaching at my school.

One of my professors last year taught one class a week and is a millionaire. He just teaches for fun. Some of my other professors are retired top executives from marketing firms.

Not to mention I have an array of free seminars/presentations by successful people that I can go to whenever and learn a lot.

Business school isn't a waste especially if you like the content and wouldn't mind going into a business field if your own endeavors don't end up working out.

Yeah, business is about learning by doing but so isn't almost every other field out there.

My experience has not been that with the professors, though your situation sounds pretty good. All of mine are into the corporate ladder bullshit, and I'm an entrepreneurship minor (which by the way is the biggest joke ever.) The best are the ones that start the semester with "Okay, let's talk about running a successful business." and then later will complain about university salaries. WHY STAY? I'm sure it's not out of the kindness of your heart.

Definitely right about the seminars though. I attended one with a guest who owned a dozen businesses, but the one he discussed was in the chemical manufacturing industry. I don't remember exactly what his company built (he didn't go into too many specifics anyway as this was a business seminar not engineering) but the machines that he used to manufacture these chemicals cost $500,000+ EACH. He had something like 20 of these machines, all turning him a profit. And that was one of a dozen businesses. This was a very wealthy man.

And in that seminar, in the front row, sat a girl playing Flappy Bird on her iPhone. :headbanger:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.