The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank Master Thread, Episode Discussion

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
I'm gonna try Hammer and Nails. Seems like it be an interesting experience.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
I like the man grooming idea. However, I would never ask my buddy to go there.
"Hey Mike, want to go get our nails done?" :yawn:

@MJ DeMarco, is getting those things done something you do on your own, with a women, another guy??

I think a place like that has huge potential, but I think they need to somehow get around the stigma of men getting women stuff done.

Seems like it would be a great idea to actually market to women. I'm sure all women would love it if their man had clean nails and such.

MadeMan.com is already taken, btw. That is a great name.

Another great marketing idea is for men getting married. No better time to get groomed. "Here comes the groom" or something corny like that for the marketing piece.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There's a group on Facebook of shark tank groupies. Some entrepreneurs, some shark tank show participants, and a shit ton of wantrapreneurs.

It amazes me the quantity of people in the world that would prefer a handout to a hand up.

I have spent a bit of time there answering some questions, much like on this forum.

The difference is, people on this forum usually take the advice and turn it into action. www.thefastlaneforum.com has an abnormal amount of people that listen, and take action.

A typical exchange from the shark tank groupies on this Facebook forum, summarized, usually goes like this :

OP Q. "I have a brilliant, one of a kind idea. Can anyone tell me the shortcut to..."

A. "There is no shortcut. What you could do is..."

OP. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyway... can someone tell me what the shortcut is to..."

You come to realize there's only so long you can bash your head into a brick wall. We sometimes get frustrated with people who stop by here at the forum looking for a shortcut, but I also think they flame out here and move on when they don't get what they were looking for.

Man, there are a lot of people out there that are looking for a hand out vs. a hand up.

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Last time I was in Vegas with the fellas, I don't think @RealOG, @snowbank or @biophase would have been interested. Although I really never asked.

Vegas!! Sounds like a manly Vegas trip for next time!

I get a massage about every other week. Only had 4 facials ever. Never have gotten a manicure or pedicure, not against getting them, topic has just never come up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Kevin O'Leary just uploaded a season 6 gag reel.

Pretty entertaining behind the scenes stuff. I didn't know the sharks cussed behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I watched the episode last night. I thought the Soapsox thing was a decently good idea but wow, steep price!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Those ninja guys... "We need the power of someone to make a phone call...". Why are people nowadays so damn scared to pick up the phone?!

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Those ninja guys... "We need the power of someone to make a phone call...". Why are people nowadays so damn scared to pick up the phone?!
I think they meant someone with connections.

They pick up the phone and call they either don't know who to call, what # to call, and even if they did know those things, the person on the other end won't listen to them.

However, if Mark Cuban calls, you listen.

Last edited:

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I think they meant someone with connections.

They pick up the phone and call they either don't know who to call, what # to call, and even they do know those things, the person on the other end won't listen to them.

However, if Mark Cuban calls, you listen.

You are absolutely right with this. It just sounded as if they hadn't even tried hard.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wow, I can't believe the drumpants guys didn't take Daymond's offer.

He gave them a 1.25 million dollar valuation for a product that sold 720 units.

I think soapsox was pretty impressive with their sales. $300k? Wow. Just goes to show how you can literally run a business out of your living room with little to no money or connections.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Kevin O'Leary just uploaded a season 6 gag reel.

Pretty entertaining behind the scenes stuff. I didn't know the sharks cussed behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Barbara is high! That's AMAAAAZINGGG!

LittleMissFancy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 8, 2014
I think the baby swaddler will be a home run, turning a $700 investment into $1M in sales is damn impressive! Plus weary, sleep deprived parents will try almost anything for sleep from what I hear, whats $35 for the chance of a full night's sleep?

The Hammer and Nails was a great idea however I think that it is easily knocked off as Daymond pointed out and it also involves changing the mindset of the male demographic in regards to mani/pedis which is never an easy feat.

For some reason I wasn't crazy about the Roominate, the engineering kit designed for girls. The women who presented knocked it outta the park but the idea/product just didn't resonate with me. Perhaps its because there was a very similar product on seasons before called Goldieblox.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I think soapsox was pretty impressive with their sales. $300k? Wow. Just goes to show how you can literally run a business out of your living room with little to no money or connections.

And, not to piss on someone else's company, but a really, really mundane idea. No genius design or decades of development here, just a cute product and boom, sales.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
I think they should have taken Robert's and Lori's offer of a million. I don't know why they didn't!
That would have been a fastlane move, money in the BANK, and they would remain the INNOVATORS that Lori thought they were...
~ Or ARE they?? ~​

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
New episode Oct.11.2014

This guy is fast with uploading...

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
there are a lot of people out there that are looking for a hand out vs. a hand up

Yeah, too true. Not just in business either.
It is pretty brutal to break out of that mentality, but it is worth it, and no one can do it for a guy (just drags you down too much)
We really need to make sure we get THAT mentality nailled if nothing else, because if you don't work that out you are going to struggle.
This forum helped me with that.

"We need the power of someone to make a phone call...". Why are people nowadays so damn scared to pick up the phone?!

Ha, I don't think its the phone, it is just not knowing where to go from there.
There is a point you just have to grab your balls and go though :p

They just don't think they can take failure yet.
Just gotta toughen up.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
So the new one....

Loved the last two guys. "We aren't rich kids". I mean, come on guys at least dont play that card. Even if your dad never gave you millions, which he actually did give them 2 mil to start this business, you still have never known what its like to not know if you can pay your bills. Their dad is the founder of Gamestop, mega rich guy.

But the product I didnt get. But Lorie seemed to be excited about it so im probably just not getting it. I dont smoke. So maybe this is a big need that something like febreeze doesnt fill. But $3 a pop. Everytime you take a smoke break you are gonna throw $3 out the window too? That seems crazy to me. And wasnt Kevin on to something with the low Petco sales per store?

And I might catch shit for this, but im over the little kids products making it on the show. I get why they do it, its a nice story. And I think its awesome that a kid this young is out there just going for it, im not damning the kid here. What I mean is, take away the age and the business made $7500. Usually a grown man comes in the tank and says they sold $7500 and they will get abused. But the kids always seem to get a deal because they are kids and it makes for good TV.

I just think it takes up too much time on one of the few shows worth watching. I think there may have been a couple of these kids products that were actually good, but usually its stuff like last nights episode.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Wow, I can't believe the drumpants guys didn't take Daymond's offer.

He gave them a 1.25 million dollar valuation for a product that sold 720 units.

Worse, it wasn't even a good product. It seems like they had an idea for a technology, and then shoehorned it into some cheesy implementation just so they could get investors. With the investors' money, they'd then develop the tech further into some "future" implementation they had dreams of making. Obviously the guy wanted to take the money and run because he had cold feet, but the girl was serious about the future ramifications of the technology. The correct answer is to take the money and run.

Steve jobs actually talked about the issue of building a technology and then trying to find a market (at 1:45):

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I'm probably in the minority here, but I've had GF's drag me to the salon to get a variety of things, facials, manicures, pedicures and they're worth every dollar. And in each instance (yea, its happened several times) I found myself saying "Wow, I wish they had this shit for men because Ill never come in here solo." I don't think the Hammer/Nails is such a bad idea, but agree that more add on services would be needed to make it Fastlane Franchisable.
Great idea. I'd want to see further upsell as well.

Once could even add a bar like area where there's beer, liquor, and cigars. A non-bar like place for men to hang out. This sort of place has been popular in many cultures across the centuries. And there isn't an equivalent here in the States.

Hell, get a physician on board and offer medical like procedures: laser facial peels, botox, etc and you could really enhance your LCV.

:greedy:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
The Hammer and Nails idea was OK in my opinion, but as Daymond said, you've got to upsell it. Put a bar in it, a tailor and maybe a cigar room. But I absolutely loved how he spoke, very strong story telling skills.
Duh. Just saw this AFTER I posted mine.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Yeah, too true. Not just in business either.

Ha, I don't think its the phone, it is just not knowing where to go from there.
There is a point you just have to grab your balls and go though :p

They just don't think they can take failure yet.
Just gotta toughen up.
I'll be honest... I don't know why... But everytime I get a call... Make a call... etc... My heart starts pounding 120 beats per minute... I don't know why.. This causes words to slip from my mouth.. Some words come out as gibberish that even I get embarrassed.. I don't know why...

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I'll be honest... I don't know why... But everytime I get a call... Make a call... etc... My heart starts pounding 120 beats per minute... I don't know why.. This causes words to slip from my mouth.. Some words come out as gibberish that even I get embarrassed.. I don't know why...

That describes it pretty well.
... well you sure as f#ck aren't crazy, I suffer the same fear when it comes to just talking to my GF

The problem only exists when you don't make calls because of it.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
That describes it pretty well.
... well you sure as f#ck aren't crazy, I suffer the same fear when it comes to just talking to my GF

The problem only exists when you don't make calls because of it.
I agree.

I try to overcome that fear but idk man... It used to be worse... It's getting better, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I try to overcome that fear but idk man... It used to be worse... It's getting better, though.

Who am I if I don't make this call? What do we stand to lose long term if I never handle this? How big is this obstacle in the scheme of things? Do I dare to change my habits? Can I command myself through the steps of this call? What is my next task and will I have time to recover?

I'm stalling on the obvious. We stand to lose progress while we wait for me to change. This phone call is only the beginning. Grrr, I don't want to dare at all, but I can. Call, introduce myself, elicit values, structure a plan, charm and let it come through. I have until tomorrow to get my stuff together after this call.

Stuff like that can help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.