The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money is Not Everything

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
That's exactly right.

What IceCreamKid said is from experience.

If start-up founders and entrepreneurs are able to understand this, they'd be able to create something truly amazing and be successful at it.

Be true to yourself, and express what you truly appreciate even in your business. Don't be fake for money.

Even being real, and talking to the average lady just like you'd treat Aunt Sally is one of the things called providing value. You're offering others a real experience in a widely materialistic world filled with surface acting.

Money is everything /endthread

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

http://www.troll.me/images/thumbs-up-jesus-says/jesus-says-shut-the-F*ck-up.jpg

G

GuestUser113

http://www.troll.me/images/thumbs-up-jesus-says/jesus-says-shut-the-F*ck-up.jpg

tumblr_m9d9znpjU11rzapx4o1_500.gif

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
Money isn't everything, but it makes a lot of things a lot easier. I view it as a means and not an end.

To me the value of it (as well as MJ) is the freedom it will allow and in turn there is a greater chance it will enable me to do more things that make a positive difference.

As the billionaire Paul Feeney who plans on giving it all away once said "I want the last check I write to bounce".

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
the funny thing about our discussion here, is that most of us present arguments with the premise that we all have the same priorities and desires in life.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Money doesn't buy you happiness ...?

Tell that to someone sitting in a jail cell for civil contempt ... because a judge thinks he has money that doesn't exist.

Tell that to a failed business owner ... being dunned and threatened with jail by the Internal Revenue Service.

Tell that to the graduate student who is out of work ... and six figures in non-dischargeable student loan debt.

Tell that to the single mothers who take shitty jobs ... wiping old people's asses at a nursing home ... for minimum wage ... just to meet their family's most basic life necessities.

Tell that to the couples in divorce court ... who are splitting because of financial stress (the #1 cause of divorce).

As a lawyer ... I represent bankruptcy clients and divorce clients ... and I can tell you one thing for certain ... this crowd ... is NOT happy.

Why ...?

No money.

Or worse ... Negative money.

The focus of this conversation seems to be ... "having a little" ... vs. "having a lot" ... but everyone seems to be forgetting ... there is another place on the spectrum ...

Terminally F*cked.

Upside-down.

People who you could give $100,000.00 to today ... and they'd STILL be upside down ... still be LESS than ZERO.

Tell THEM money doesn't buy happiness. Pure pie in the sky.

The absence of money can buy a boatload of misery ... I can guarantee that.

Sure ... I agree ... you can find happiness in a sunny day ... walking on the beach ... spending time with family.

And I agree ... that some people are so obsessed with earning a living ... they never take time to enjoy it.

I don't want to die overworked ... regardless of how much money is in the bank.

Early retirement works for me.

But to suggest money doesn't buy happiness ... is pure nonsense.

Money might not be the only currency ... but god damn straight it does.

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Money doesn't buy you happiness ...?

Tell that to someone sitting in a jail cell for civil contempt ... because a judge thinks he has money that doesn't exist.

Tell that to a failed business owner ... being dunned and threatened with jail by the Internal Revenue Service.

Tell that to the graduate student who is out of work ... and six figures in non-dischargeable student loan debt.

Tell that to the single mothers who take shitty jobs ... wiping old people's asses at a nursing home ... for minimum wage ... just to meet their family's most basic life necessities.

Tell that to the couples in divorce court ... who are splitting because of financial stress (the #1 cause of divorce).

As a lawyer ... I represent bankruptcy clients and divorce clients ... and I can tell you one thing for certain ... this crowd ... is NOT happy.

Why ...?

No money.

Or worse ... Negative money.

The focus of this conversation seems to be ... "having a little" ... vs. "having a lot" ... but everyone seems to be forgetting ... there is another place on the spectrum ...

Terminally F*cked.

Upside-down.

People who you could give $100,000.00 to today ... and they'd STILL be upside down ... still be LESS than ZERO.

Tell THEM money doesn't buy happiness. Pure pie in the sky.

The absence of money can buy a boatload of misery ... I can guarantee that.

Sure ... I agree ... you can find happiness in a sunny day ... walking on the beach ... spending time with family.

And I agree ... that some people are so obsessed with earning a living ... they never take time to enjoy it.

I don't want to die overworked ... regardless of how much money is in the bank.

Early retirement works for me.

But to suggest money doesn't buy happiness ... is pure nonsense.

Money might not be the only currency ... but god damn straight it does.
Ah, I think we're twins. You just spoke my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
People who you could give $100,000.00 to today ... and they'd STILL be upside down ... LESS than ZERO.
I have been much deeper than this in the past. That is where a lot of realizations about life came to me.

At the age of 18, I was freshly split-up from my gf, living in my car, no job, and quite happy. At the age of 46 I had about 10M, big assed house, more money coming in than I could count, just playing every day. Still very happy.

When the bust came and knocked my a$$ for a loop, I was miserable and depressed to the point that I thought life was no longer worth living. One day it just hit me. What is different about me today vs. the 18 year old me? Nothing except MY ATTITUDE.

Last edited:

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I'm withdrawing myself from this thread.

There are those who understand the actual reason for this thread, and who can learn from it.

And then there are those whose minds are so shrouded, they'll need to go through more pain in life before it finally opens up to receiving knowledge that matures them further and allow them to accomplish more.

In either case, I realized there's enough conversations in here for people to gain value from it.

Time spent defending the offering of value to people who would only want to be right, instead of wanting to improve is time well-wasted.

Hope someone actually benefits from these sharings.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Based what I read here, perhaps this would have been better titled "Money is not a Religion" or Money is not your legacy."

Very good comments here and my summary of what I've read here. There is more to life than just any one thing. Money is one thing that may provide many external things and internal comfort but does not define who you are (the "everything"). Take billionaires the Walton family compared to philanthropist Warren Buffett or Bill Gates, it is not up to us to judge what they do with their money (even though many do) but from the title of this post, their "everything" is what brings them happiness and money is a tool to allow them to make choices those without money could not make. That being said, there are those without money who make similar choices but less impact-full.

Be impact-full and leave your own legacy!

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Malcolm Gladwell's latest book (David and Goliath) tried to make and then expound on that claim that more income causes diminishing returns of happiness. I threw the book out.

Well that's a different discussion entirely. I mean, everything has diminishing returns. A million dollars for me is a life changing event. A million dollars for Bill Gates is a rounding error.
How far into this book did this occur? Was it the old "Once you make $70K/year you won't be any happier" argument?

It really wasn't like that at all. Gladwell's argument was that wealth's effect on happiness is like an upside down parabola. The closer you are to 0, the more money will increase your happiness. But as you earn more, the same money increase provides a smaller happiness increase. You can intuitively guess this. Give me $1,000 and that's a big deal. Give MJ $1,000 and it's not likely to change anything. He said nothing about money not making you happy. Only that the richer you are, the less happy it will make you.

Gladwell's books are not actually self-help or pop-psychology, even though he markets them that way because it makes him rich. Ultimately they're explorations of interesting ideas. More like Freakonomics than The 4-hour-workweek.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Gladwell's books are not actually self-help or pop-psychology, even though he markets them that way because it makes him rich.

True. If anyone wants a free copy of his book, you can find my copy here :

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13020 Dem Con Dr, Shakopee, MN 55379/@44.7613119,-93.585539,1891m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x87f60fd41b9e1b7b:0x723a842b5a47e1cf

He segued into a discussion about how rich people have just as difficult of a time raising their kids as poor people, because the kids are... rich.

I raised 2 kids when I was poor, and now have another one when I am not. Night and day different. According to Gladwell, I should be struggling to figure out how to raise my kid because I can buy her anything she needs. He's never experienced first hand both sides of the spectrum he describes in his book. I have. I can tell you with first hand knowledge that he has no idea what he's talking about.

But... as you aptly pointed out, that's not his mission. His mission is to sell books. And I bought it.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....

There are those who understand the actual reason for this thread, and who can learn from it.

And then there are those whose minds are so shrouded, they'll need to go through more pain in life before it finally opens up to receiving knowledge that matures them further and allow them to accomplish more.

In either case, I realized there's enough conversations in here for people to gain value from it.

Time spent defending the offering of value to people who would only want to be right, instead of wanting to improve is time well-wasted.

Hope someone actually benefits from these sharings.
For what it's worth you've created a great thread with a healthy discussion. Those who've gained value from this don't need further validation, never did.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
He segued into a discussion about how rich people have just as difficult of a time raising their kids as poor people, because the kids are... rich.

Specifically he meant first-generation rich people. Someone who went from poverty to mega rich. His argument was that they struggle to raise their children because they can't relate. They learned the value of hard work because they had to work to earn the money for any shiny new things they wanted. Rich kids don't have to do that. So the parents don't know how to teach them those lessons. I don't think he was implying that it's just as hard to raise a kid in beverly hills as it is in harlem.

Anyway, I'm not interested in defending this guy. He isn't my friend, and I don't believe in everything he says. I just liked the book, and I didn't want it being totally misrepresented. It's quite good.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I think the denial of a correlation between financial security and happiness is somewhat delusional. I also think the attempt to cap the correlation at a fixed dollar amount (i.e. after $75k, there's no more satisfaction to be gained by increased wealth) is ludicrous. I have learned to be content in all circumstances, but happiness is an emotion. Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. It's a spectrum. It's a range.

When I had bill collectors calling me, my happiness was less. When I had zero money, zero income, and fading hope, happiness was less.

It's OK to admit that money swings the spectrum of happiness from less to more. It's not politically correct, and it takes away the security blanket from those who try and deny the correlation, but it's true in most cases. Most people I have ever met who try and make the opposite case never had money. And, 100% of them, if given the opportunity, would take the money.

Malcolm Gladwell's latest book (David and Goliath) tried to make and then expound on that claim that more income causes diminishing returns of happiness. I threw the book out.
Gospel.

[emoji106] [emoji106]

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
"Money isn't the root of all evil, a LACK of money is the root of all evil."

-Gene Simmons

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
This topic = meh. Let's remember that Happiness is a temporary emotion. Think of happiness as a cup of water with a hole in the bottom; the size of that hole depends on several things but there's still a hole leaking water none the less. After awhile, you have to refill that cup up again with water. That's how happiness works. You'll always chase it looking for the next "fix of happiness" like a drug addict. Btw; Money can buy a lot of drugs.

To wrap things up; Money buys happiness.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just booked a trip to Ambergris Caye. I don't say "vacation" because my life already feels like a vacation.

For those who don't know where Ambergris Caye is, its a Carribiean island off the coast of Belize. The trip was spontaneous and unplanned. No boss to ask. No permission required. I will be lodging in the #1 rated accommodations on the island. The long flight? I will be flying first class. All of the aforementioned came to pass because of money, or indirectly, because of money. And you know what, this makes me happy and excited. And I am much happier that I don't have to sit stuffed in coach class for 6 hours. I am much happier that my bed will have the finest linens with the finest beach view, and not be some seedy dump near a crime ridden area. I am much happier that I will be eating and drinking the finest the island has to offer.

Yes, money is not everything. I understand that I enjoy these luxuries compliments of my relationship with money and the production/consumption equation. Money, properly managed, is a tool that provides variety, options, and freedom. It is a tool that arrives in your life when you produce, solve problems, and be valuable to your fellow man. This simple aforementioned statement is lost on most. Never in all of history has a teenager said "When I grow up, I want to provide value and contribute to the world!" -- nope, its "I want to be rich!"

Sure money is not everything-- but without it, the above story would never happen and instead, I'd have to wait until some corporation, some boss, or some schedule told me it was OK to go. IMO, the "money doesn't buy happiness" crowd doesn't understand money, consumption, or production. And the money chasers? They're no different as they've made money their everything, willing to sell their soul, ethics, and/or integrity for illusions of value-- yea, they won't be happy either once the high of their latest gadget wears thin...

Earn money by righteous contribution and watch how happy you'll be.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I just booked a trip to Ambergris Caye. I don't say "vacation" because my life already feels like a vacation.

For those who don't know where Ambergris Caye is, its a Carribiean island off the coast of Belize. The trip was spontaneous and unplanned. No boss to ask. No permission required. I will be lodging in the #1 rated accommodations on the island. The long flight? I will be flying first class. All of the aforementioned came to pass because of money, or indirectly, because of money. And you know what, this makes me happy and excited. And I am much happier that I don't have to sit stuffed in coach class for 6 hours. I am much happier that my bed will have the finest linens with the finest beach view, and not be some seedy dump near a crime ridden area. I am much happier that I will be eating and drinking the finest the island has to offer.

Yes, money is not everything. I understand that I enjoy these luxuries compliments of my relationship with money and the production/consumption equation. Money, properly managed, is a tool that provides variety, options, and freedom. It is a tool that arrives in your life when you produce, solve problems, and be valuable to your fellow man. This simple aforementioned statement is lost on most. Never in all of history has a teenager said "When I grow up, I want to provide value and contribute to the world!" -- nope, its "I want to be rich!"

Sure money is not everything-- but without it, the above story would never happen and instead, I'd have to wait until some corporation, some boss, or some schedule told me it was OK to go. IMO, the "money doesn't buy happiness" crowd doesn't understand money, consumption, or production. And the money chasers? They're no different as they've made money their everything, willing to sell their soul, ethics, and/or integrity for illusions of value-- yea, they won't be happy either once the high of their latest gadget wears thin...

^^^ I just printed this out. Seriously.

I am loving this thread by the way @Zen Focus and glad you posted it. Thank you.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

'Nuff said, this thread needs to be closed now, before the beauty of this post is ruined and lost between new/other posts.

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Wow...this has been a great read in a great Forum !
Thanks @ZenFocus for starting this. One person makes a difference.

Money, properly managed, is a tool that provides variety, options, and freedom.
^ The bottom line. Think about how much variety...how many options...how much freedom. This ranges from vacations to supporting your family to saving lives....possibly your own.

I'm smiling and going back to work.

^^^ I just printed this out. Seriously.
Yes.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
In a few days the next "B & P" tickets come up for sale. I'll have a problem getting my tickets. The problem won't be paying for them. The problem will be scoring two before they sell out. That's a nice problem to have.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Yep, thats a big issue with the world imo. The pursuit of money isn't always the pursuit OF MONEY. MOST of the time its to BURN others.

Passive aggressively pushing problems of your life into giving people sh#t deals.

I'm glad you said this, cuz it simplifies my earlier rantings into sense.

The absence of money can buy a boatload of misery ...

I like this quote
But, I think that ultimately, its a double edged sword
And you MUST stop yourself from passive aggressiveness with money in order to clear yourself a path out of the quagmire

Yeah, it derailed
Your main point comes through just fine though man
Sometimes people just want to talk on a thread, and it sets a forest fire
Its annoying when its not about what we said, haha ;)
And disheartening when it loops into the exact fn opposite (crazy eh?)

Your point is awesome precisely because it is so counter intuitive and avoids getting into the money debate in any hippy way. Pure experience speaking, loud and clear.

Its a vast point you've made.
A cornerstone even!

Thanks man, your contributions are a definite favorite of mine
5 stars bro

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
IMO, the "money doesn't buy happiness" crowd doesn't understand money, consumption, or production. And the money chasers? They're no different as they've made money their everything, willing to sell their soul, ethics, and/or integrity for illusions of value-- yea, they won't be happy either once the high of their latest gadget wears thin

Both, of those things irritate the sh#t out of me

I think there is a real f#cker to face though

I think this is what everyone is scared of.
This seed of hatred in peoples heart.

... and worse
When it is forced into their own

Earn money by righteous contribution and watch how happy you'll be

That is Zen Focus
What an awesome thread

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
I truly believe you need to pursue goals to be happy. Be it fitness, music, career, etc. I don’t care if you have 100 million, you’ll be miserable if you aren’t pursuing something. I want to leave it all out there on my deathbed.

I also believe goals can make you miserable if done wrong.

I’ve struggled in the past poking at side businesses and procrastinating when a wall comes up. I start to question why I am wasting my time, if there is a better/easier way, or if I would be happier enjoying my free time at night/mornings.

Maybe money isn’t the answer. Maybe I would be happier pursuing music or fitness.

I realized the struggles would be the same though. Is there a better fitness program? Am I wasting my time learning this song?

If pursuing goals = happiness, and if the struggles are the same, and time is going to pass anyways, money seems like the best possible primary goal with the best side effect, freedom.

Goals are often long term though and the human mind doesn’t like long-term gratification when it’s tired, sick, etc. There is always tomorrow on a 1-year+ goal and the pleasure of procrastinating will outweigh the pain unless you break the goal down enough.

The pleasure must outweigh the pain to the point the daily hustle itself becomes the goal/pleasure.

Money makes people miserable in the same way fitness or anything else makes people miserable – they fail to break it down into daily achievable goals.

Forget making 500k a year. How about $50 a day first.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
If pursuing goals = happiness, and if the struggles are the same, and time is going to pass anyways, money seems like the best possible primary goal with the best side effect, freedom.
^Nice.

The pleasure must outweigh the pain to the point the daily hustle itself becomes the goal/pleasure.
Interesting @Milkanic ... Instead of the end goal, the vision if you will, outweighing the pain of the Process, you are saying the 'hustle' or Process, or Grind becomes the pleasure/goal.

I can relate to this because challenges motivate me. BUT...I must say that the 'Win' is also important to me. If I'm constantly challenged and constantly coming up short, I'm not happy.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
I can relate to this because challenges motivate me. BUT...I must say that the 'Win' is also important to me. If I'm constantly challenged and constantly coming up short, I'm not happy.

True, but I think it is the same mentality as lifting weights. If something isn't working for 2+ weeks, it's probably time to switch it up or lower the weight/goal a bit. You need to have faith the bar will move again and embrace that grind though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.