The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank Master Thread, Episode Discussion

D

DeletedUser12

I guess I'm a sucker for nicely designed things, but I thought the floating mug was pretty innovative and has potential when combined with the glass idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Do you guys think that some of these successful shark tank ideas or ideas in general could have been formed without being directly exposed to the need/problem?

Or is it just that a greater amount of effort has to be put in to find a need if one isn't obvious to you?

G

GuestUser113

Not half as much as in here.

tPJgE.png

I liked roominate. I also like the sleeping baby & kronos putter. Favorite quote from o'leary "i've been rich & poor, rich is better." lol

Those folks with the wedding van was by far the stupidest. Let me sell this to go start it in Miami. Let me sell Miami & start it in New York. smfh.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
^^^^I could not for the life of me understand why they sold the Vegas market away despite acknowledging that it's the top market for weddings.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
They kept hammering on the young ladies (roominate - i think) with.. "but you must make your sell through". What exactly does that mean? Thanks.

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
What do you think on dragons den? It's like a UK version of the programme.

I'm surprised we are allowed to watch these lol, I always thought "Oh it's a waste of time, full of mental masturbation.", but I do find these shows useful though. So not all TV is a waste of time that's good.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
They kept hammering on the young ladies (roominate - i think) with.. "but you must make your sell through". What exactly does that mean? Thanks.

Sell through is basically the ratio of what you send to a retailer vs what is actually sold in the stores. That's one of the double edged swords with retail. Just because your product is in Toys R Us doesn't guarantee it'll all sell. That's what they meant. They wanted to see that what they had already sent to the retailer was going to sell.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Sell through is basically the ratio of what you send to a retailer vs what is actually sold in the stores. That's one of the double edged swords with retail. Just because your product is in Toys R Us doesn't guarantee it'll all sell. That's what they meant. They wanted to see that what they had already sent to the retailer was going to sell.
Thats what I thought but these folks are in start-up mode. Obviously, it depends on their future sales. I just thought it was odd they were hammering on that point. As a potential investor that is the risk you must evaluate. It almost seemed as if Barbara was dogging them because they haven't sold off their inventory - yet.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
Thats what I thought but these folks are in start-up mode. Obviously, it depends on their future sales. I just thought it was odd they were hammering on that point. As a potential investor that is the risk you must evaluate. It almost seemed as if Barbara was dogging them because they haven't sold off their inventory - yet.

I think the biggest reason was because they were in the toy industry which is incredibly competitive. And holiday seasons are make or break for toys. Having Sharks on board and the exposure of the show will definitely help in that regard. But they probably wouldn't have hammered in the sell through as much if it were any other industry.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
It's available on Hulu (or HuluPlus subscr) the day after it airs... available for 35 days.

Or youtube

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Alright, so I finally finished the new episodes... just have so much going on this weekend.

So, my thoughts-1, I the phone charge thing... I think that could be a big money maker at airports, because one of the problems with those stupid "charging stations" is that you have to stand around like an idiot amid the bussle of SEATAC or LAX at a table with no seat while your phone regenerates, leaving it while eating is a way better option. Last time I was in Las Vegas, some guys opened up a sealed off socket with a screwdriver and managed to get their phones charging off of it, so this definitely does solve a huge need. However, it suffered a classic problem that afflicted other products, including the girl's building set:

It took something that worked and made it different (and not as well) for the sake of being original and trying to live off the dregs left behind by the clear leader.

In this case, all these guys needed was to jetison the scanner and make it a locker-type system, where people insert a dollar in quarters (have a change machine nearby), and they pull a little key out that locks the phone in its holder. Then, you come back in an hour when it's charged, with a large bank of these chargers you'd not only be able to sell ad space but make $30-50/hr on what's likely <$1 expenditure. Come back, insert your key, get your phone. There's no reason to have the casing be clear either, that's just inviting criminals to avoid stealing the Net-10 clamshell and make their most concerted attempt at the iPhone6. Putting it behind the bar would prevent theft, it could be like a concierge service where your key is passed over the bar and the bartender unlocks it, so unscrupulous individuals won't be prying at it too. Best of all, you could build a setup like this for about $20, $70 if you wanted to make it look sexy. Damn, I should be on Shark Tank.

With the girl's toy, I felt kinda bad for them. Anyone who gets into MIT is a genius, and Cal-Tech is nearly as good, but in this space, Lego is the internal combustion engine, while everyone else is bicycle cars, sail cars, unicycles, fuel cells, etc. They all sort of work, and some even get popular, but ultimately, when someone has done your thing so well for so long, you're not going to grab a substantial market share just by being different, especially when different always means slightly worse. Their playsets looked flimsy and airy and confusing, unlike legos, which can often look like a picture-perfect representation of the real thing with enough blocks. It doesn't take into account that lego could release a new pastel line with girl models on the front and a $20M ad campaign and put them out of business in a weekend if they wanted to.

I agree with whoever said that Cuban was betting on them and not the product. The product's traction was impressive but it was ultimately not as great as the potential of those two. I think this is why Harvard, MIT, etc. grads (like ex-Navy SEALS) are so successful even when they completely depart from their field of study, not because they went to a great school, but because they got in and through their programs by being brilliant, being focused, taking action, and kicking a$$.

The swaddle will probably be the biggest product, but nothing in the show really blew my mind the way that vibrating paoramic photo app or others (Sal's wasn't mind blowing as a design as much as "how in the heck has a patent not been filed on this like 50 years ago") did.

Turner

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 27, 2012
Calgary, AB, Canada
What do you think on dragons den? It's like a UK version of the programme.

I'm surprised we are allowed to watch these lol, I always thought "Oh it's a waste of time, full of mental masturbation.", but I do find these shows useful though. So not all TV is a waste of time that's good.

I like the Canadian version of Dragons Den. It was where O'leary and Herjavic got their start and have since been poached by ABC to do Shark Tank exclusively. It is interesting to see the two of them before Hollywood took over. The quality of entrepeneurs on DD is not near as great as Shark Tank but DD is more "real" and less polished, scripted, and dare I say it, phoney than ST. DD provides updates on pitchers whose deals both worked out and did not vs. the rosy and scripted ST updates. I watch both but lean towards ST as I like O'leary and Cuban.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
The Hammer and Nails idea was OK in my opinion, but as Daymond said, you've got to upsell it. Put a bar in it, a tailor and maybe a cigar room. But I absolutely loved how he spoke, very strong story telling skills.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I thought Hammer and Nails was cringeworthy. For straight men it's often enough of a Rubicon to move from using your teeth to using nail clippers. You're not going to convince me to pay $30 to get my toenails taken care of when I pay $11 to get my hair cut.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You're not going to convince me to pay $30 to get my toenails taken care of when I pay $11 to get my hair cut.

$11 for a hair cut, holy crap. It's $1.5 in my country :D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're not going to convince me to pay $30 to get my toenails taken care of when I pay $11 to get my hair cut.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've had GF's drag me to the salon to get a variety of things, facials, manicures, pedicures and they're worth every dollar. And in each instance (yea, its happened several times) I found myself saying "Wow, I wish they had this shit for men because Ill never come in here solo." I don't think the Hammer/Nails is such a bad idea, but agree that more add on services would be needed to make it Fastlane Franchisable.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
OMG the charging station was absolutely horrible.

Yeah a bar is gonna pay $2k so people can charge their phone.

If my phone is running low on battery I simply charge it in my car.

There are so many other better and way cheaper alternatives.

And if you are drunk? SMH.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think the Hammer and Nails idea would be better if they get rid of the nail salon association. Instead how about a men's grooming salon that targets the hip hop crowd and professionals. Hair cuts, facial hair, pedicures etc. An all in one service. Your hair, your feet, your face everything. Make it look hip and luxurious. The first thing I would think if i heard "a nail salon for men" would be hell no. But, mens grooming club? way better. Get rid of the words "salon" and "nails", its way too feminine. And plus it won't cost that much more money to offer more services. Thats how powerful associations are in marketing and branding. be careful.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I think the Hammer and Nails idea would be better if they get rid of the nail salon association. Instead how about a men's grooming salon that targets the hip hop crowd and professionals. Hair cuts, facial hair, pedicures etc. An all in one service. Your hair, your feet, your face everything. Make it look hip and luxurious. The first thing I would think if i heard "a nail salon for men" would be hell no. But, mens grooming club? better. And plus it won't cost that much more money to offer more services. Thats how powerful associations are in marketing and branding. be careful.

This is incredibly accurate.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
Was out with friends yesterday---they said as soon as they saw the SleepingBaby swaddle, they paused the TV and ordered one IMMEDIATELY. They're going to be huge.

The wedding van was one of the worst pitches I've seen on Shark Tank. Who sells their Las Vegas van? And why couldn't anyone just buy a van and perform the saddest wedding ceremonies on earth?

The little guy who wanted to beat up the Sharks---oh my God, that was hilarious. His friends are going to make fun of that for years. Take it easy, Napoleon. It's just a TV show.

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
@ShadowX I think the UK's 'Dragons Den' is much worse in terms of businesses and production value. It's actually encouraging because some of the businesses that get funded can be so rubbish.

For Hammer and Nails - they need to re-brand it as a male grooming place that focuses on all male grooming opposed to just nails.

Also thought the second product from the floating mug guy was overlooked, it needed some refinement but that actually solves a need as Kevin said.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
The wedding van was one of the worst pitches I've seen on Shark Tank. Who sells their Las Vegas van? And why couldn't anyone just buy a van and perform the saddest wedding ceremonies on earth?
I thought it was a terrible pitch and a terrible idea. I don't know about other people, but I would rather go to Justice of the Peace than get married out of a van. The fact that they essentially sold their business in Vegas was a huge mistake, but aside from that I just thought the idea was bad.

Hammer and Nails is such a ridiculous idea, it's unbelievable. Turning men into women. Essentially a transgender salon.

I disagree- almost every guy I've dated has gone to the nail salon with me at least once- almost all of them have enjoyed it, but ALL of them felt uncomfortable because they where the only guy in there. Going to get a pedicure is really relaxing, and so I don't really know why it has to be a gender specific activity. But I agree with what a lot of other people have said- it should be mens grooming, not just mens nails.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I disagree- almost every guy I've dated has gone to the nail salon with me at least once- almost all of them have enjoyed it, but ALL of them felt uncomfortable because they where the only guy in there.

well, I guess we're not meant to be together :D

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think the Hammer and Nails idea would be better if they get rid of the nail salon association. Instead how about a men's grooming salon that targets the hip hop crowd and professionals. Hair cuts, facial hair, pedicures etc. An all in one service. Your hair, your feet, your face everything. Make it look hip and luxurious. The first thing I would think if i heard "a nail salon for men" would be hell no. But, mens grooming club? way better. Get rid of the words "salon" and "nails", its way too feminine. And plus it won't cost that much more money to offer more services. Thats how powerful associations are in marketing and branding. be careful.

A "made man" ultimate grooming parlor for the masculine professional. We'll do your hair, shave you with a straight razor, trim and style your beard, trim your nosehairs (ew), shine your shoes, do your nails, and cover your blemishes. You want to look like a made man, not a scruffy oaf.

Look good for your woman on your anniversary by coming over just before dinner. Be presentable at your next board meeting before your big presentation. Or simply come in to look good and feel good. No matter what it is, you'll be glad you came.

FOR FIRST TIMERS: Get the all-in-one package for only $45. You'll be begging to come back after!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A "made man" ultimate grooming parlor for the masculine professional. We'll do your hair, shave you with a straight razor, trim and style your beard, trim your nosehairs (ew), shine your shoes, do your nails, and cover your blemishes.

Made Man is actually a great name. Or "Groomed for Success". Every time I go to Vegas I splurge on facials and massages. Sorry, ya'll don't know what you're missing. As for the concept, Sport Clips has proven demand for concept although I'd consider that the Walmart of men's grooming.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor