The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying an existing private business as an investment?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
I think this is a very interesting question. Some people buy stocks, some people buy real estate, surely - somebody invests in buying existing private businesses?

I have posted this question on another forum, and I have yet to find a response from somebody who has personally done this, or been involved in this kind of transaction.

I know there are a few business brokers on the forum (and so many entrepreneurs!), so maybe someone can shed some light on this topic from personal experience. :rockon:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
I think this is a very interesting question. Some people buy stocks, some people buy real estate, surely - somebody invests in buying existing private businesses?

I have posted this question on another forum, and I have yet to find a response from somebody who has personally done this, or been involved in this kind of transaction.

I know there are a few business brokers on the forum (and so many entrepreneurs!), so maybe someone can shed some light on this topic from personal experience. :rockon:

Yes, you can make much more money than listed securities... but it's not so easy, and also not so liquid. If you have any questions, shoot - I'll try to answer.

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
Wow - fantastic.

I have a few questions, actually.

The main one is - how do you narrow down your targets?

My assumption is that smaller, simple businesses better for this purpose as opposed to medium sized businesses ?

For example: Compare a dry cleaning shop with staff vs a medium sized photography school.

Are some types of businesses more suitable? Eg product vs service, local vs national, expensive vs cheap product offerings?

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
The main one is - how do you narrow down your targets?

Focus on one sector, that you're comfortable / familiar with.

My assumption is that smaller, simple businesses better for this purpose as opposed to medium sized businesses ?

Yes, it can get complicated. But more established business carry relatively less risk than startups - you would value the company differently.

Are some types of businesses more suitable?

Yes, TMF talks about about internet business. You've read the book right? I prefer product biz... though some service bizs can morph into product based.

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
Thank you for those books!

So you would be more interested in venture style opportunities - and not something boring like the local laundromat or print shop?

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
You're welcome. I look at it from two extremes... the maximum return (and risk) is with VC. If I was going to get into boring businesses, I would just invest online into a listed (public) companies (they provide higher liquidity, with lower return, and relatively lower risk). I wouldn't really do private established biz, unless I had a few million to spare... the larger the private biz, the more money you'll have to shell out, and be on the board level at least to get inside information.

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
Great answers JP Martin :) thank you.

Last Question from me: How did you get into this? What did you start with and where are you now?

D

DeletedUser15

Cool thread guys!

What is interesting is how profitable (slowlane profitable) many ethnic families are with their cafe and restaurant businesses. The short term return is stronger than real estate and stocks.

Hiring staff requires a small training induction and the minimum wage.

Also being paid in cash [emoji1]

What about buying or an invested interest in an established cafe/restaurant business? What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
What about buying or an invested interest in an established cafe/restaurant business?

Cafe, which requires a cold kitchen - is fine, so long as training staff is not so difficult and can be completely documented in a manual. Restaurant - not totally on board, my friend had one - and the biggest complaint was the fighting b/w his two chefs! No Chef... no food!!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Cool thread guys!

What is interesting is how profitable (slowlane profitable) many ethnic families are with their cafe and restaurant businesses. The short term return is stronger than real estate and stocks.

Hiring staff requires a small training induction and the minimum wage.

Also being paid in cash [emoji1]

What about buying or an invested interest in an established cafe/restaurant business? What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Find and watch every episode of Restaurant Impossible.

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
Cafe, which requires a cold kitchen - is fine, so long as training staff is not so difficult and can be completely documented in a manual.

Tell us more :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!