The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What should I be doing right now? (am In on the right track?)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys, please forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

My current situation is as follows. I am in the final semester of my Bachelor of Science degree. While I love science and don't really regret doing the degree, I am not sure whether I actually want a career in science. I am currently unemployed and living off Centrelink (wellfare for those in the USA), getting enough money to pay rent and buy food not not to buy a lot of things I enjoy. I am currently trying to get a 'slowlane' job to pay the bills and keep me going til I have a 'fastlane' income.

Believe me when I say I absolutely hate this lifestyle. While I do not have a business or a lot of money at the moment what I do have is ambition; I am only at uni one day per week so I have been reading A LOT (books including and similar to TMF ), as well as teaching myself to code. I have learned a lot in the past year and while a few years ago I would have been relatively comfortable living off the government, I am very uncomfortable with in now. I have been reading, thinking and trying to come up with an idea for a product that I can market, but it hasn't come yet.

My question is, if you were in my situation right now what would you do? Obviously I can't expect specific suggestions, but is there anything I should be doing to prepare me for a life on the fast lane? I have a lot of free time and want to use it in the most productive way possible. I just kind of feel as though I am not sure what big step to take to put me in the right direction.

Thanks so much in advance for any answers :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Where do you live? Your actual Country and your immediate environment I mean (town, city or countryside) NOT 'with my mom'.

The reason for asking is this can have a huge bearing on advice given as there may be offline suggestions for business opportunists (people still make a huge amount of money face to face, not everything is internet based thankfully) that would otherwise be missed.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I'm assuming Australia. If so hustle things on Gumtree and Facebook. Also get a job, Australia is soooo easy to get a job and the pay is crazy! Because of that hustling here is like taking candy from a baby. Also stop thinking of yourself and what you want, solve a problem, find a need. Same goes when your trying to get a job, don't tell them what you want, tell them what you can do that they want/need. Stop reading and do something, you'll learn a lot faster and more. Plus you'll actually get some money.

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
Where do you live? Your actual Country and your immediate environment I mean (town, city or countryside) NOT 'with my mom'.

The reason for asking is this can have a huge bearing on advice given as there may be offline suggestions for business opportunists (people still make a huge amount of money face to face, not everything is internet based thankfully) that would otherwise be missed.

I live in the suburbs of Tasmania, Australia. There are not a huge amount of business prospects here (or so people say, I'm sure there are if you look hard enough), I think my best bet would be to do something online.

I'm assuming Australia. If so hustle things on Gumtree and Facebook. Also get a job, Australia is soooo easy to get a job and the pay is crazy! Because of that hustling here is like taking candy from a baby. Also stop thinking of yourself and what you want, solve a problem, find a need. Same goes when your trying to get a job, don't tell them what you want, tell them what you can do that they want/need. Stop reading and do something, you'll learn a lot faster and more. Plus you'll actually get some money.

Thanks heaps for the advice. The unemployment rate is pretty high here, but I have had a few interviews and am pretty confident I can get something for sure. I would rather be working rather than reading most of the day, it just requires getting a job first!

I have very much been thinking about the needs of others and looking for a problem to solve. Thanks for the suggesting regarding hustling, I will look into that right away!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
I was reading everything until my friend called me out on it and I am glad he did.
He told me you are just fooling yourself into thinking you are busy and making progress, stop reading, start doing.
He was right, as same went for selling learned more in two years than my degree in business.

Is it necessary in order to pick up certain skills? Absolutely.
But much of your reading I would imagine (even business books), isn't much different than daydreaming or watching a movie.
You may have learned something, but you have nothing to show for it.
And that isn't fastlane.

IMO save reading for a past time/breaks as it is still worth something.
For example, the one thing it has helped me on though is identifying patterns and techniques of the most successful and to see such, obviously I had to read a bunch.
However, I no longer kid myself that I made progress on my business because I read a book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.