The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First E-Commerce Website

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
So, this is a thing.

I joined the "My wife quit her job" course the other day. Pretty good course if you ask me. Lots of information, though it's a high price for it. It's taught me a lot so far.

Not affiliate marketing here, just talking about good value.

So back to me.

Niche Research - Done. According to Market Samurai, my main keyword is getting 137 clicks for the #1 spot.
Of course this isn't my only key word.
Steve recommends super niche words like that. Dunno why but meh I haven't done anything else so why not.

Joined DOBA to find early product sources and get drop shipping. Margins aren't great but 30% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
I need to find more sources so I can't get screwed.

Set up shopify store - nearly complete just a couple more kinks to work out. Going live in about an hour.

Let me tell you. I am freakin scared. I don't even know why.

Maybe it's because I don't know what the eff I'm doing but I keep pushing through the doubt and a.d.d. I'm getting.

Thanks for the read,
Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Store's open. Decided to open it while still writing descriptions.

First snag - Multiple variations of the same item.
When you import your list from doba it doesn't separate or sort anything. You have to physically go into shopify and add variants.

In html coding this would be a simple fix but I can't figure out how to get to html in the shopify panel. Have to type everything by hand. Wish I would of figured this out sooner before I wrote all of those descriptions (mostly copy paste, but minor variants)

Second snag - Living with extended family sucks
My uncles brother-in-law has decided to move out. The downside is, he is the one who owns all of the routers and stuff. Internet's in his name. Two weeks down time

It sucks but I'm saving a ton of money (not really) living here and it allows me to work a sub-40 hour a week job to do other things.

Bright side - Got my first two visitors today. No sales but it's all good. It's already looking to be a good start.

AlexanderCM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 10, 2013
Colorado
Sounds like you really powered through the first steps of getting this started! ;)

P.S. You don't happen to live in Colorado, do you? I'm just asking because your avatar pic looks like Twin Peaks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined DOBA to find early product sources and get drop shipping. Margins aren't great but 30% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

I find it hard to believe that you can get 30% margins dropshipping on DOBA. How much are your products?

qvantage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Nov 22, 2013
Don't worry!! It takes little bit time to earn money by e commerce. Start is always difficult so just do hard work and don't loose your patience. You will get sucess in your online business.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I find it hard to believe that you can get 30% margins dropshipping on DOBA. How much are your products?
Around $60-$70 but the same products selling on eBay for $100-$200 at a good rate.

I wasn't expecting it to be a good site but I can't afford going to worldwide brands right now (even though that is the next logical step until I can get my own brand)

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Sounds like you really powered through the first steps of getting this started! ;)

P.S. You don't happen to live in Colorado, do you? I'm just asking because your avatar pic looks like Twin Peaks.
You have no idea. I've literally had trouble sleeping the past few days getting this through. 4am is my normal bed time as of late but I still get up around 8am-10am.

I don't live in Colorado but I do have family there. I want to move there one day maybe.

Don't worry!! It takes little bit time to earn money by e commerce. Start is always difficult so just do hard work and don't loose your patience. You will get sucess in your online business.
Yeah, its possibly the hardest part. At least in my opinion.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Great job man - I hope u start ringing the register soon!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
So this is really happening. I think 3 are family I've shown but the others are something else. Analytics aren't working yet for some reason?

yyXprDi.png

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Things left to do for the site
  • Social media
  • Better product descriptions
  • Adwords and SEO

The last two I still need to learn. It's funny really. I spent 4 years on SEO sites like BHW and WF and don't feel like I learned anything.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
So, this is a thing.

I joined the "My wife quit her job" course the other day. Pretty good course if you ask me. Lots of information, though it's a high price for it. It's taught me a lot so far.

Not affiliate marketing here, just talking about good value.

So back to me.

Niche Research - Done. According to Market Samurai, my main keyword is getting 137 clicks for the #1 spot.
Of course this isn't my only key word.
Steve recommends super niche words like that. Dunno why but meh I haven't done anything else so why not.

Set up shopify store - nearly complete just a couple more kinks to work out. Going live in about an hour.

Let me tell you. I am freakin scared. I don't even know why.

Maybe it's because I don't know what the eff I'm doing but I keep pushing through the doubt and a.d.d. I'm getting.

Thanks for the read,
Mike
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what's the "my wife quit her job" course?

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I've gotten 4 clicks so far on my adwords!!!

You don't know how exciting it is. I only have $5/day spend but... I can't even think of words right now.

No sales of yet. But hey it's only day two of being in the public eye :)

Edit

Also forgot, I got my first international visitor. From Russia.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Looking for better drop shippers now.
Doba might be a great service (for certain niches), however, they really don't service my niche that well. Tried to make it work, just the lack of options doesn't make the $60/month worth it.

Doing product research to find how much I don't know about what I'm in.

The niche seems to be very brand driven and I seem to have set myself as a middle man. I could work this to my advantage though. Gain a customer base, then launch my own brand...
This is all speculation of course.

In the back of my head I feel like most customers will only make a one-time purchase.

To give you a better idea of what I'm doing, not going directly to the niche, but general broad scope of things.
I sell watches. (well trying to sell lol)

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Man this niche is freaking hard to find suppliers in who are legitimate.

Just about everyone I've contacted either doesn't want to work with me or wants to charge a monthly subscription fee (even if I don't sell).

I think I made it too niche now lol...
Not sure if I want to kill this idea yet because I know there is traffic and people willing to buy. It's just I can't seem to get suppliers.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I think I might be doing something wrong. I contacted 3 suppliers, all declined me because they said I wasn't far enough in business.

I mean, I have a state tax id. I have a website. I recently took my old products down because they were integrated with DOBA so my page says "Under Construction". I thought about changing it to "Sold Out" or "Replenishing Inventory"

I have about 4 more suppliers to contact. I want to have my all ducks in a line so I don't get declined, again.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Dude, just lie to them. How the hell would they know you "aren't far enough along in your business" through a phone conversation??

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I have integrity so if ask I'm not going to flat out lie to get ahead.
Though I never told them where I was in business however, they did look at my site. From what they told me, they don't expect me to make any sales, so they don't want to waste their time.

Not their exact words but what I interpret as.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I joined the "My wife quit her job" course the other day.

Mike, I am going to be enrolling in the same course here next week with a friend to push my site to the next level... you said it was a bit spendy? I'm assuming you did the $600 one time payment? Would you recommend the course for that price? Would you buy it yourself again had you not done it in the first place? I'm looking for a course to PUSH my a$$ into gear and something I can do every day, is that kind of how it's set up?

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks alot man and best of luck, good to see another ecommerce thread.

Gravy

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Mike, I am going to be enrolling in the same course here next week with a friend to push my site to the next level... you said it was a bit spendy?

I would go with the one time payment if I had the option. It ends up being about $300 less then the plan I was doing.
They do give you one month to return it, if it doesn't help.

But the course is just like anything else. You have push yourself to do the work. Like the saying goes, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
So I've decided to kill this site.

My main competition is from the majority suppliers themselves. The others already supply to too many people. Their quotes on shipping time and cost were outrageous. 30 days and $300 from the middle of the US sounds off to me.

Also, since it was a niche site, focusing on a single style, it relied on having a bunch of other brands, which I do not control the price on.

This was a fun experiment. Mainly, I was proving to myself that it can be done fairly quickly and cheap.

My next site will still be niche. However I'm only going to focus on my brand.

Thanks for reading,
Mike

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.