The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why newbies should avoid Alibaba, DHGate, Tradekey, Aliexpress, madeinchina.com, EC21, TTNet.net,

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I am certainly not the only person on this forum who has something to sell. Should they all be banned?

(1) If people failed through following my instructions I would feel very responsible. As yet, not one of the hundreds who are using my book and following the instructions there has reported failure. As I posted above : "On another forum one poster stated that she had searched hard and was unable to find any bad reviews of my book anywhere on the web", and she went on to say "this does not happen in the real world". Now you can be sure that if there were failures out there they would let the world know who they blamed.

(2) I have made the offer that forum members can ASK ME ANYTHING and have only been asked 3 questions there. I have answered them in detail.

• How many newbies complain that they don't get responses to their email inquires to suppliers? In this thread I provided specific advice on how to overcome that extremely common problem.
  • I know that it is rare for people to read the fine print and as a result they take the B2B sites' "verification" systems at face value. I have alerted members to the fact that the system offers no protection.
  • What is worse is the trust people place in the rating system (Gold Supplier etc) and I have alerted members to the fact that those vendors have been subjected to no more scrutiny than ordinary verified vendors.
  • I have encountered large numbers of people who wrongly think they are dealing with manufacturers because they found people on B2B sites listed as manufacturers. I have alerted members to that false notion. The difference to your bottom line will be substantial if you go to manufacturers not wholesalers.
  • I have seen on this forum posts about buying big brands and I know that many people do not understand the risks they are taking in importing and selling counterfeits, knockoffs or even genuine branded items. I think it is of value for me to warn about this.

But No... I will not post my safe sourcing sites. REASON:
If someone wants to learn to swim, I will not say: "It's easy. First you need to find a swimming pool. Then you jump in. You'll soon get the idea."
Finding a supplier is only one step in a process that I have seen many people drown in. I have had people write to me seeking help after they have blundered into placing an order without knowing what they are doing. I won't help them blunder in by saying here's the pool, jump in.

Later today I will post my extensive but far from exhaustive list of things that a newbie importer needs to consider before they jump in that pool. Then maybe I can get on and provide more helpful answers to actual questions.
Ok so here's my question for your Ask me anything. If Alibaba, Dhgate and etc are all to be avoided what sites should I use instead?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Ok so here's my question for your Ask me anything. If Alibaba, Dhgate and etc are all to be avoided what sites should I use instead?
I have already answered that question that has been put twice directly. Here is what I wrote to Boxster:
"But No... I will not post my safe sourcing sites. REASON:
If someone wants to learn to swim, I will not say: "It's easy. First you need to find a swimming pool. Then you jump in. You'll soon get the idea."
Finding a supplier is only one step in a process that I have seen many people drown in. I have had people write to me seeking help after they have blundered into placing an order without knowing what they are doing. I won't help them blunder in by saying here's the pool, jump in.

Later today I will post my extensive but far from exhaustive list of things that a newbie importer needs to consider before they jump in that pool. Then maybe I can get on and provide more helpful answers to actual questions.
"

When I talk about people writing to me seeking help, it is often too late. One lady found a great supplier with a product she knew a lot about and was sure she could sell it successfully. She thought the price was excellent, incorrectly thinking she was dealing with a manufacturer, so she placed a large order and paid thousands of dollars deposit. This was her first venture into importing! After she paid the deposit she discovered that the terms quoted did not include freight although she had thought it did. She had never heard of INCOTERMS and had no idea what FOB, EXW, C&F etc. meant. Because she was buying bulky goods on which freight is charged by volume not weight, the freight was going be several times more than the price she was paying for the goods. On my advice she abandoned the order, otherwise she would have lost much more.

That is a long story, but I relate it because such cases are quite common. I deal with newbies every day, and their ignorance of what is involved is often quite staggering. I will not encourage them to go into importing when their knowledge is so limited that they are risking what for many of them is their total, very small amount of capital.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I have already answered that question that has been put twice directly. Here is what I wrote to Boxster:

"

When I talk about people writing to me seeking help, it is often too late. One lady found a great supplier with a product she knew a lot about and was sure she could sell it successfully. She thought the price was excellent, incorrectly thinking she was dealing with a manufacturer, so she placed a large order and paid thousands of dollars deposit. This was her first venture into importing! After she paid the deposit she discovered that the terms quoted did not include freight although she had thought it did. She had never heard of INCOTERMS and had no idea what FOB, EXW, C&F etc. meant. Because she was buying bulky goods on which freight is charged by volume not weight, the freight was going be several times more than the price she was paying for the goods. On my advice she abandoned the order, otherwise she would have lost much more.

That is a long story, but I relate it because such cases are quite common. I deal with newbies every day, and their ignorance of what is involved is often quite staggering. I will not encourage them to go into importing when their knowledge is so limited that they are risking what for many of them is their total, very small amount of capital.
Ok so I'm not a "newbie" about to jump into an unknown pool, so since you said ask you anything... What sites would you use that are better than the ones that you say should be avoided.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
He hasn't mentioned globalsources.com or Made-in-China.com but my opinion is those are comparable with all the others he has listed.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Here is the reason I have an issue with the way you (Walter) have conducted yourself.

I decide to join a dieting forum. I spend the next few days telling people how wrong they are doing their diet and offer to help them fix their diets. I tell them to avoid sweets and pop and that there is a secret diet that will work wonders for all of them. All they have to do to learn the secret is.... Buy my ebook. I haven't taken the time to help the people of the forum besides tell them what they are doing wrong. I haven't gained any credibility at all. All I have done is tell them I have a secret and they must pay me to be the "healthiest person in the world". Would I really expect those dieters to just trust that I know what I'm talking about? To trust that my "secret diet" is really a recipe for success and not just another person trying to make money off the people on the forum?

Personally, I have no issue with someone writing an importing ebook and making money. On the other hand, saying you don't care about money but won't give away your secret unless I pay you $46.99 just says to me the only thing you really care about is the money you can suck from the members of this forum before you move on to the next one.

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Ok so I'm not a "newbie" about to jump into an unknown pool, so since you said ask you anything... What sites would you use that are better than the ones that you say should be avoided.
How naive do you think I am. Can you guarantee that newbies won't read the post?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
He hasn't mentioned globalsources.com or Made-in-China.com but my opinion is those are comparable with all the others he has listed.
There are quite a few that I have not mentioned. The list of such sites is painfully long. In fact I have a list of over 3,000 product sourcing sites, most of which are outright scam sites. Do a Google search for your chosen product and you will probably find many of them

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
As you have chosen to ignore Vigilante's main post....

I have posted specific and I believe helpful advice on these threads:
Need help, got response from supplier The only helpful response there was incomplete to the point that if followed could lead the OP to make a serious mistake. I gave a warning about it and stated how to avoid that mistake.
Anyone have experience with colorway and customizing products I gave a specific and helpful answer.
Help... caught in Alibaba hell!!! LOL I gave specific advice with information that would likely be unknown to most members.
What does this Chinese supplier mean? I gave a specific and detailed answer including a way to avoid being hit with surprise costs.
The Process Of Getting Something Made In China? I gave specific and detailed advice.

How naive do you think I am. Can you guarantee that newbies won't read the post?

How naive do you think we are? Please don't try to pull the wool over our eyes we are way to street smart for that. None of those threads you quoted were currently active. You only dug them up and responded to seed your Signature to try to sell more books. In fact practically all you did on the one thread was copy/paste the majority of another of your self serving posts.

You swimming pool analogy sucks

:totalbs:

No, you will let them learn to swim in shark infested water when you could point out much safer havens to learn in. But you will only do that if they hand you $49.

I have no problem with you not sharing your list, the problem I have is that you are only here to peddle your wares. Wrap it any way you like you cannot justify those tactics here.

THE ONE AND ONLY REASON YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON THIS FORUM IS TO PUSH YOUR BOOK SALES (for which you say you don't need the money) and I personally think that is deplorable. No doubt we are just one of many forums you have targeted.

You might be an expert in overseas sourcing but you are a real poor judge of people if you think you can just wander into their house and set up shop without getting your arse handed to you on a plate by the guys on the door.

The negativity you are experiencing here should be a BIG red flag to you.

I suggest you wind your neck in as it's way too easy a target, take a couple of days off from posting and read this thread until something clicks:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-astonishing-secrets-that-zen*******-never-told-you…exposed.50097/ Its GOLD status for a reason.

Then hopefully you will come back with a totally different attitude as @Vigilante diplomatically alluded to. You will also find @jon.a not so diplomatic. Brutally blunt would be a better description (luv ya Jon ;)) but very much bang on the money most of the time.

Here's that link again that in case you want to sell your book via this forum:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/advertise/

Don't get me wrong, I too hope you stick around and contribute to the community but not in your current guise. There is a LOT here YOU can learn that will make you a more successful entrepreneur. I personally hope you don't continue to disrespect our community because at the moment you are like a bad smell. :vomit: :puke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
The old model of 'selling with bait/a trail of breadcrumbs' is dying/declining.

Here, you build a truckload of trust and establish yourself as an authority, provide more than a truckload of value and people will flock to you if there is demand for your product.

For a case study in how to entrench yourself into a community and become an 'expert' in a short amount of time, take a few hours and read @Andy Black 's posts in chronological order. Now he could sell 'magic peanuts that make you a Google Adwords wizard' to us, and we'd buy it, because we trust him.

So just become that, take some time. Bet 5 yuan that it'll work out in your favor :)

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I've never had a problem with alibaba.. Even when I was a 'noobie'

2k + scams in a year, what's that? Like less than 1% of total transactions ?

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
I have had the chance to speak with @Walter Hay and his story is very intriguing. (I think you should start a thread or do an INSIDERS call, people would love to hear it)

I have no doubt that his experience and knowledge will put him up there with the most valuable contributors on these forums, so please hang around Walter.

I believe he has good intentions and it's not all about selling his book. He has provided me advice and I haven't bought his book.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The old model of 'selling with bait/a trail of breadcrumbs' is dying/declining.

Here, you build a truckload of trust and establish yourself as an authority, provide more than a truckload of value and people will flock to you if there is demand for your product.

For a case study in how to entrench yourself into a community and become an 'expert' in a short amount of time, take a few hours and read @Andy Black 's posts in chronological order. Now he could sell 'magic peanuts that make you a Google Adwords wizard' to us, and we'd buy it, because we trust him.

So just become that, take some time. Bet 5 yuan that it'll work out in your favor :)

Thanks! I was just adding the best content I could and watching to see what resonated, and with whom.

Forums are great for finding out how best to help people, and then connecting with people you can help.

If you see a forum as just a way of selling to the community then you're missing out on the incredible feedback you can get on how to improve your product or service so that you end up selling something that will actually add value.

Vigilante's post is what the fastlane is all about. Concentrate on helping as many people as you can and good things happen.

Last edited:

xavi22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jun 6, 2014
It believe I know what company he is referring to as all the other major ones have been ruled out. If it is the one he is referring to, am I allowed to post it here? It does not provide any magical solution or safe-haven for transaction more than the other sites. I think the difference is that this particular site I'm pretty he's referring to requires more of a stringent process to be allowed to sell there . I do think it's a bit more difficult to navigate and not as user-friendly as perhaps alibaba, aliexpress etc..

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome xavi22, yes there is no restriction on posting links as long as they are appropriate (i.e. not offensive etc.) I have developed business relationships with manufacturers from Cuba, India, America and China. Never been ripped off but I due do my due diligence.

Missed out Pakistan and the Czech Republic.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The unfortunate thing that plagues most entrepreneurs, even seasoned ones, is they don't see the big picture and everything becomes a marketing and promotional initiative. I'm sure Walter will grab some sales from his AMA and his other threads. However, had he approached this forum without such a clear monetary motive, he would sell a whole lot more. There are a TON of import/export folks on this board.

I suspect the tale of two roads would look like this:

Storm in, try to sell books, and leave two weeks later = 10 book sales.
Contribute first, hang around, get the feel for the board, stay indefinitely and become known as a contributor = 500 book sales.

I am certainly not the only person on this forum who has something to sell. Should they all be banned?

If everyone's response to questions was "Visit my website" or "buy my book" then yes.

In this case, there is no forum and I should just shut the whole thing down.

Here's that link again that in case you want to sell your book via this forum:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/advertise/

Walter has paid for an INSIDERS Subscription which entitles him to have a signature advertisement, just an FYI. So let's try to keep that in mind as he has answered some questions as well, and on some dead threads.

So let's try to go easy and give him an opportunity.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I posted that ad link first, but I didn't do it to be a smart a$$. I legitimately think that might be a good vehicle for him to promote his business to your audience, which more than likely would buy the book. It might be a better way than agitating people who in other circumstances may consider making the investment.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I suspect the tale of two roads would look like this:
Storm in, try to sell books, and leave two weeks later = 10 book sales.
Contribute first, hang around, get the feel for the board, stay indefinitely and become known as a contributor = 500 book sales.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I hope its the latter.

I posted that ad link first, but I didn't do it to be a smart a$$.

You were just trying to help. I was seeing red as I hate the vulture mentality. Swoop down, pick the carcass clean, then fly off to pastures new. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I have broad shoulders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have had the chance to speak with @Walter Hay and his story is very intriguing. (I think you should start a thread or do an INSIDERS call, people would love to hear it)

I have no doubt that his experience and knowledge will put him up there with the most valuable contributors on these forums, so please hang around Walter.

I believe he has good intentions and it's not all about selling his book. He has provided me advice and I haven't bought his book.
@smithsta Thanks for the breath of fresh air. And thank you also to MJ DeMarco for some cooling comments.

I would have had opportunity to answer more questions and in fact to post the next thread that I am preparing and which I am sure will help many, but I have allowed myself to be distracted by all the negativity.

Consequently I have decided to ignore the hostile posts and respond only to genuine questions and also to get on with finalizing the draft for the thread that I have promised.

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
No problem Walter.

I'm glad you have decided to hang around. I look forward to your next thread. The fact you are 'finalising a draft' tells me it's going to be great.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
No problem Walter.

I'm glad you have decided to hang around. I look forward to your next thread. The fact you are 'finalising a draft' tells me it's going to be great.
I decided that it was going to be too long, so I have posted the first installment on my AMA thread, where I think it will be more appropriate. I hope it generates questions and I look forward to providing helpful answers.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona

:)

FWIW, this used to be the case (somewhat) at the warrior forum a very long time ago.

Nate H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 22, 2014
California
How is wiring money any safer than WU?
Lifer, with a wire transfer, you can see if the receiving company's name and address on their bank account (on their wire transfer instruction sheet) match the company name and address that you otherwise have for them. I've never used WU but I assume it goes straight to an individual.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Lifer, with a wire transfer, you can see if the receiving company's name and address on their bank account (on their wire transfer instruction sheet) match the company name and address that you otherwise have for them. I've never used WU but I assume it goes straight to an individual.
Yes Nate, that is a reasonably safe arrangement if payment is made to the company.

But, even wire transfers (IMT or T/T) through a bank can go to an individual. It is not uncommon for a business owner to request payment to his/her personal account. I have no objection to doing that provided the buyer is certain that the person named as the recipient is in fact the person named in the company registration documents as the owner. Even such casual verification that is done by Alibaba etc. will show the proprietor's name, so it is not difficult to check it out.

Payments via WU usually go to an individual, who can remain virtually anonymous. It is like sending cash, with no tracking to help you prove who actually got the cash. Using WU is as good as burning your money unless you have an established relationship with the person concerned.

Walter

Alando

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 1, 2013
Ah, that is some great information. I've been looking into some of these sites for a few reasons and this is good information to have before I actually make a decision. Appreciate it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Find some e-book marketing sites. It might be safer and people might want to read your book. I'm sure it does have some value, you just need to find the right audience that wants to buy your book, or hear about it. Don't depend on a forum to get you sales. Just from what I've learned the last few days creating my own e-books what they said in here wouldn't sell does sell. lol So don't believe everything you hear. Maybe not a millionaire at the moment, and still on promotion, but it's finding places that are appropriate to market your book and huge platforms where readers are looking for books. Find places that have lots of traffic to begin with and where people are looking for books.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.