The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1 thing billionaires have in common; a slowlane job

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
The other day I studied some of the richest billionaires in the world.

As I read biography after biography, something started to stick out.

A lot of them found their Fastlane opportunity through a SLOWLANE job.

example: Wayne Huizenga - owner of Miami dolphins, started 3 Fortune 500 companies. worth 2.5 billion dollars.

how he started:

took a job as a garbage man/truck driver. Then founded the largest trash company in the US, Waste Management.

If he didn't take the slowlane job, he would have never saw the Fastlane opportunity.

another example; A well known billionaire in my area started out selling copy machines door to door. he realized an inefficiency in the way the company ran.

Started his own copy company, sold it for $80 million dollars years later.

He credits his success to learning the ins and outs of the business, and then improving upon the inefficiencies.

Too many posts (newbies) want to just start a business right away. Instead of thinking of a job as part of PROCESS, They think a slowlane job is "below them."

If your broke and you don't have a business running, you should be looking to obtain a slowlane job and find a problem you can solve within that industry.

Success leaves clues. Even MJ found his fastlane opportunity this way.

Stop thinking your too good for a job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser113

example: Wayne Huizenga - owner of Miami dolphins, started 3 Fortune 500 companies. worth 2.5 billion dollars.

how he started:

took a job as a garbage man/truck driver. Then founded the largest trash company in the US, Waste Management.

If he didn't take the slowlane job, he would have never saw the Fastlane opportunity.

another example; A well known billionaire in my area started out selling copy machines door to door. he realized an inefficiency in the way the company ran.

He credits his success to learning the ins and outs of the business, and then improving upon the inefficiencies.

Too many posts (newbies) want to just start a business right away. Instead of thinking of a job as part of PROCESS, They think a slowlane job is "below them."

If your broke and you don't have a business running, you should be looking to obtain a slowlane job and find a problem you can solve within that industry.

The question remains. Do I need to finish high school? What about College? What degree do I need?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Some very good points here, my man, but I don't think a slowlane job is essential to becoming a billionaire. There are many guys who don't fit the bill. For example:

Elon Musk: worked a few jobs to support himself when he first came to Canada, but was inspired to start his own internet company from hearing about another guy who did that, and sold it for millions. Ultimately, he became a billionaire because of the companies he made from investments from his PayPal buyout.

Mark Zuckerberg: Been a computer whiz ever since he was a kid. Got an idea from some fellow Harvard students.

Richard Branson: Started a magazine when he left high school. Later expanding into a record business.

J.D. Rockefeller: He worked as a bookkeeper when he was 18. I can't remember why he decided to get into the oil business, but it wasn't related to his job.

I think a lot of guys find inspiration from their job, and when their entrepreneurial spirit kicks in, they see how much further they can take the industry they are part of. Billionaires are known for revolutionizing their industry, and taking it to a whole new level. I think perhaps the time spent working a slowlane job teaches them about the processes of that industry, but ultimately what makes someone a billionaire is a larger than life vision, and the determination to carry it out.

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand

how he started:

Man, you have super powers if it only took a day lol!
but seriously thanks for your post and I cant agree more. Actually I think it s vital for especially younger people to have jobs in the slowlane and preferably jobs they hate! as this leads to thoughts like "man, there has to be a better way to do this" or "if I owned this business I would do it so much different"/ You get the picture. And so the entrepreneurial seed is planted.
Thanks again I like this post :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Rep+

What better way is there to start a business than to know something about it!

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
I think we've all had jobs at some point and we all get in front of different pain points at one point or another. Probably not important to "get a job" in order to find a painpoint or need in any field. The important part is being able to recognize that a given solved pain can be traded for money. And what about the other billion people out there with ordinary jobs? I don't think a job is the best path there, experiences from it can be salvaged thought, as it is with most things in life.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
In my business, I always like to see newbies jumping in with all their money. They are the best people to sell to and to buy from. Even if they can see the pain points, they cannot always execute a plan with enough efficiency.

milestone

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 24, 2013

That's a key sentence. Your value on the market is what you can give to that market, then you're rewarded if you hit it right. The thing is to be present in the life, to see the opportunities. Opportunities can be see when person is knowing himself (can take more risk, know what he's good at, his talents) and place where he's moving - when there is nobody else "in the neighbourhood" who can know himself better and know the exact industry better in case of ability to exploit oppportunities (because they can have more knowledge - but that's not the case!)- then you have your "bang!". What I've also noticed is that, there were an examples where very helpful to future billionaires was to have friends or partners in the same industry - what I mean by that, is that you can exchange your opinions with that mindset similar people - and what I mean by that - is the way you can see where you are himself.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Great thread.

*Grammar Nazi incoming*

YOU'RE* (I'm sorry I just had to do it)

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
The question remains. Do I need to finish high school? What about College? What degree do I need?

What will you spend all the money on? Should you set up an LLC? Should I move to another city first? Should I move to another country and pay less tax? These are the real questions.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I think this is related to the commandment of need. Needs that everybody can see on the surface, like a cure for cancer or a car that doesn't need gas, are easy to spot, but incredibly hard to solve (or someone would have done it), and have lots of people working on it all over the world.

In a niche industry, an INSIDERS sees the problems that an outsider can't, so they can experience very great rewards by meeting a need that may be both easier to solve (fewer people have tried, maybe none) and have significantly less people competing for it.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
when you dont have any clue about how a industry operate, you can come up with a business model totally different from the business models integrated in that industry.

Industries had been revolutionized because some people decide to enter in unknow territory and change completely the way business is done.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

What is your job?
What is your exit plan?
How far are you from that?

Do you know that there are billions of people with a slowlane job who barely make a living, let along being billionaires?

It is good to study success & failure but don't trick yourself into thinking about finding the "magic mathematical formula".

As @Ninjakid pointed out there are examples from both sides but that doesn't tell anything.

Success or failure depends on your attitude, daily habits and taking chances (or not)!

Last edited:

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
I see both sides of things, what I am presently working on is only because of having a job and seeing a void.

However:
Do you need a job first in order to become successful? No
A degree? Not that either.
Experience? Not necessarily.

What you need is a way to solve a problem or an opportunity to create demand...it just depends on how you come about it.

Just as you cited examples to support your point, others can site others to argue theirs.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
I see both sides of things, what I am presently working on is only because of having a job and seeing a void.

However:
Do you need a job first in order to become successful? No
A degree? Not that either.
Experience? Not necessarily.

What you need is a way to solve a problem or an opportunity to create demand...it just depends on how you come about it.

Just as you cited examples to support your point, others can site others to argue theirs.
This
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.