The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from NC (Oh My How Things Change!)

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hey everyone, this is my first post here so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Andrew, just turned 25 years old today, and I am currently living Charlotte, NC. After receiving a Bachelors degree in Political Science and then eventually a Master's degree, I have found myself unable to find a job in my chosen "slow lane" career field. In the line of work that I want to be in, many times I go up against 150 other applicants (and after calling back to see why I didn't get hired, I found out often times I was placed in the top 10 applicants for the spot...which still didn't land me the job).

All this time, I kept asking myself "how can I get a job, what can I do better, or should I settle for another career field". Then I read The Millionaire Fastlane (and some of the rich dad books) and it was like a light turned on inside of me, learning to be a job creator/innovator instead of job seeker. I used to watch all those shows of millionaires and thought to myself "how can they get to be that rich? What company are they CEOs for?". I now understand everything much clearer. In the last 6 weeks, I have been brainstorming hundreds of online-based company ideas and inventions (literally). After running them by my friends, many of them think some of the ideas are genius and have a high success rate. I have two problems in getting started 1) too much thinking and not enough action and 2) I don't have too much start-up cash. Well, maybe three problems- the third being the last two excuses for not getting started.

So I decided to draw up a plan to get started on my first venture:

1) I decided to sign up here and put my story out there as my motivation to start.
2) My ideas are website based, so I am going to get into learning as much about that as possible (writing code, learning SEO, advertising, etc.).
3) While thinking of ways to raise money for my venture, I decided to take one of my strengths and life long goals and get a book published, and use that money to help startup my website idea. Depending on how much the book sells for, I will either hire a programmer to help me out, or just learn the ropes and get started myself.

Instead of just setting a big goal of "make as much money as possible", I thought up a series of goals I would like to achieve. Being today is Nov 14th, 2011 and I am 25 years old, I will put out my goals for the next 5 years.

1) Have the book I am writing on a popular topic to be finished by December 14th, 2011. (Most likely self-publish and make available for e-readers and amazon).
2) Have the site (and payments from the book) generate enough revenue to cover my student loan payments (approx $300 a month) within 6 months.
3)work hard
4)work hard
5)work hard
6)$1 million in my bank account by the time I'm 30 (exactly 5 years).

As long as I at least accomplish #2, I will consider this venture a success. After reading the success stories from these forums, I finally believe that all my goals are possible. I plan on being active here seeking advice and gaining insight.

-AndrewNC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Andrew, looks like you have a plan. Great to see it.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
What would you tell your 25 year old self?

Andrew - You are making excuses.
  1. Your Bachelors and Master's degree mean absolutely nothing for what you are about to do in life.
  2. Stop making excuses. You did not have trouble getting that police job because of 150 applicants or a bad economy...you didn't get that job because of self destructive beliefs in yourself. Don't make excuses. Focus on the solution, and not the problem. If you focus on finding the solution, you WILL find it, and you WILL get where you want to go. I focused on the problem, and did not get to where I want to be in that instance of my life with the police work.
  3. You used to think that people are rich, because they were lucky enough to become CEO of that company. You thought you could never do that. One day you will be the business owner paying the CEO of a company. I haven't reached that milestone yet, but I finally know that it is possible.
  4. You are lucky enough early on to realize that you think too much and don't take enough action. Unfortunately, I didn't fix that problem when I realized it, it dragged on for years. As soon as I fixed it a little, I achieved my dreams. Take action in the now.
  5. Learn NLP sooner. nlp.com live training is a good start...no I will not tell you what book you can read because that will not help. Get off your a$$ and go to the live training. Even though I tell you this, you wont listen to me and three years down the road, you will wish you did.
  6. Listen to your mentors, even if it doesn't make sense at the time.
  7. And make sure to exercise every day.

1) I decided to sign up here and put my story out there as my motivation to start.
2) My ideas are website based, so I am going to get into learning as much about that as possible (writing code, learning SEO, advertising, etc.).
3) While thinking of ways to raise money for my venture, I decided to take one of my strengths and life long goals and get a book published, and use that money to help startup my website idea. Depending on how much the book sells for, I will either hire a programmer to help me out, or just learn the ropes and get started myself.

You WILL achieve EVERYTHING you set out here. Because I am the future you, I can tell you that one day you will look back on this thread and see how far you have come from the beginning. Success with #1. This post got you started. Now push forward and don't stop.

Success with #2- Over the next few years, you will learn everything you mentioned there. Advertising, computer programming, how to build a business, and so much more. It is these skills that you develop that will allow you to achieve success indefinitely. By learning what you mention here, you will be able to setup a web based business easier than it is to breath. The frustration of learning it will suck, but when you push through it. It is easy. It is not just a dream, I cannot stress enough that it is all possible, and it will happen. I've been there and I see it in you, although you dont.

Success with #3 - You published that first book, and it made enough money to hire a programmer (and work along side them learning the ropes yourself) to turn it into a web based business. I now have two books published, and the second one is a LOT better than the first.

1) Have the book I am writing on a popular topic to be finished by December 14th, 2011. (Most likely self-publish and make available for e-readers and amazon).
2) Have the site (and payments from the book) generate enough revenue to cover my student loan payments (approx $300 a month) within 6 months.
3)work hard
4)work hard
5)work hard
6)$1 million in my bank account by the time I'm 30 (exactly 5 years).

Get rid of the money goals. They don't matter. Fix problems and everything will be reciprocated back to you.

You WILL achieve every single goal that you outlined above, and your life will be something that is unfathomable from where you are now. The ONLY thing you need to do is to erase those fears and distractions, and just DO IT.

And you, the reader. I wrote this for you.

Have you began to realize that: It's possible

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Oh, and one day you will get fed up with where you are in life. Nobody wants to live with their parents at 25. Pack your entire life into your car and move 2,600 miles across the country.

Quit your job, pack your car again and move to Boulder. You are being pulled there for a reason...you'll find out why when you get there.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
WOW. Talk about a blast from the past. Gonna change the thread title for more eyeballs. "Hello from NC" generally is a sleeper.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
What would you tell your present self?

Andrew - You've had some success so far, but you can't even imagine what is in store next from you.
  1. Don't be afraid to throw your entire bank account into Google Adwords. Once you master this skill of advertising, you will never have to worry about money ever again. You are paying for an education. Just like you taught yourself programming, and can build a website in a day now. By the beginning of next year, you will be able to use this skill for instant sales with any business.
  2. You've started 'doing in the now' - but not enough. As you read this... start getting accustomed to taking constant action in the present moment. You will become a workhorse. Finish that NLP practitioner test by the end of the night. You will be glad you did.
  3. You made a commitment to do a 30 day challenge to wake up earlier, go 'cold turkey' on unhealthy eating, and start exercising daily.No excuses. If your car is blocked in, go running or for a bike ride. Get shit done at any possible cost. This applies to anything in business too.
  4. Continue to help others. Your desire to help others will lead to something much greater than you think possible right now. The books that you want to publish will become best sellers, and you will have an amazing business around it. Listen to what a mentor told me about using my current business to drive people to the books. It is only one way to get people in the door.
  5. Edit your book sooner, rather than later. That is what you want to really be out there - and it's better to get that done now.

After reading back on my past self, and 'talking to my current self'.... I am beginning to realize that ANYTHING is possible. My new goals with this fastlane thing.

• Provide enough value to people where I will be able to do the following:
  • I WILL be paying for a vacation to Hawaii for my parents. It has been something they wanted for a long time, and I know by then I will make it possible.
  • 100 new customer per day by the time I leave Boulder next summer.
  • Road trip down the west coast into So Cal, and then perhaps live in Thailand for a few months.
I'll be checking back in on this thread in about a year.... Time to listen to myself and get growing. :)

Thanks on the rename...I agree on the boring title too!

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
What would you tell your 25 year old self?

Andrew - You are making excuses.
  1. Your Bachelors and Master's degree mean absolutely nothing for what you are about to do in life.
  2. Stop making excuses. You did not have trouble getting that police job because of 150 applicants or a bad economy...you didn't get that job because of self destructive beliefs in yourself. Don't make excuses. Focus on the solution, and not the problem. If you focus on finding the solution, you WILL find it, and you WILL get where you want to go. I focused on the problem, and did not get to where I want to be in that instance of my life with the police work.
  3. You used to think that people are rich, because they were lucky enough to become CEO of that company. You thought you could never do that. One day you will be the business owner paying the CEO of a company. I haven't reached that milestone yet, but I finally know that it is possible.
  4. You are lucky enough early on to realize that you think too much and don't take enough action. Unfortunately, I didn't fix that problem when I realized it, it dragged on for years. As soon as I fixed it a little, I achieved my dreams. Take action in the now.
  5. Learn NLP sooner. nlp.com live training is a good start...no I will not tell you what book you can read because that will not help. Get off your a$$ and go to the live training. Even though I tell you this, you wont listen to me and three years down the road, you will wish you did.
  6. Listen to your mentors, even if it doesn't make sense at the time.
  7. And make sure to exercise every day.

You WILL achieve EVERYTHING you set out here. Because I am the future you, I can tell you that one day you will look back on this thread and see how far you have come from the beginning. Success with #1. This post got you started. Now push forward and don't stop.

Success with #2- Over the next few years, you will learn everything you mentioned there. Advertising, computer programming, how to build a business, and so much more. It is these skills that you develop that will allow you to achieve success indefinitely. By learning what you mention here, you will be able to setup a web based business easier than it is to breath. The frustration of learning it will suck, but when you push through it. It is easy. It is not just a dream, I cannot stress enough that it is all possible, and it will happen. I've been there and I see it in you, although you dont.

Success with #3 - You published that first book, and it made enough money to hire a programmer (and work along side them learning the ropes yourself) to turn it into a web based business. I now have two books published, and the second one is a LOT better than the first.

Get rid of the money goals. They don't matter. Fix problems and everything will be reciprocated back to you.

You WILL achieve every single goal that you outlined above, and your life will be something that is unfathomable from where you are now. The ONLY thing you need to do is to erase those fears and distractions, and just DO IT.

And you, the reader. I wrote this for you.

Have you began to realize that: It's possible
Love this.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Continue to help others.
This. So much more powerful than I ever imagined, and yet so simple.

Quit my job 12 months ago, haven't worked a job since then, and I feel like a completely new person.

Wrote a blog post about it:
*link dead - switched domains*

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great article, and very interesting to see it contrasted with your first forum post back in 2011.

"Help others." - simple, powerful.

Well done on your progress becoming.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.