The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I quit the job, here's my journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

openminded790

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 30, 2013
kudos to quitting your job before you started seeing any money. I did the same thing and everyone around me thought I as crazy but to be honest, having a secure incoem, (a job), doesn't force your brain into the 'do or die' phase which FORCES you to make things work. I grew the fastest because success was my only option.

Good luck man :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
having a secure incoem, (a job), doesn't force your brain into the 'do or die' phase which FORCES you to make things work. I grew the fastest because success was my only option.

Exactly. I've been too comfortable and cozy with the steady paycheck. There was no grind in me, no hustle. Once I quit and felt the terror but also the liberating freedom from it, I started to get hungry again. Now I know that if I don't get shit done, i don't eat. It's all on me.

*edit* It kind of reminds me of back in the day when I was into bodybuilding. When I had a spotter when I was lifting, I didn't really put all of the effort into because I knew someone was there to help me if I got stuck or couldn't complete a rep. But when I was alone at the gym, I had to put not 100% but 110% effort into it because I knew if I got stuck, there was no one around to help get that weight off my chest.

The market is my gym and my business is my bench press. I have to lift, lift, lift because there is no one to help me when I get the weight stuck on my chest. I just have to go through the pain and rack that shit LOL.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
UPDATE!

So my products have arrived this morning. Woot! Unfortunately I couldn't work on my site or my store because I had to take my mom to the ER. So I've been caring for her for the most part. Already have a few people wanting to buy, so I need to close those deals ASAP!

Initial goal: 2 sales. Just to prove that I can sell.

Wanted to share a lil video that I get my daily/nightly motivation from. It's from a Japanese video called "Underground Hero", where it sort of profiles a Japanese crime boss and he talks about why he does what he does. Given, crime bosses engage in *illegal* activities, which I don't do. But I find inspiration in the fact that he states that he does what he wants to do. Also talks about his infatuation with the Lamborghini, similar to a lot of us Fastlaners. Even if you don't do crime, you can still find the inspiration in the fact that, like him, we want to do things on our own terms without anyone telling us what we should do or how we should live. enjoy!

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Great story man thus far and I hope your mom is OK! In case you still deal with sciatica, can I propose this video and in general, the flushing technique?

I have used it with some clients and it helped. Also a good addition, although I am not sure how into this kind of stuff you are, you can stretch your Superior Front Line (a term we use in myofascia release) with the following postures

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31/1622427_605132749575080_1373473307_o.jpg

Keep rocking, I love your journey ^_^

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Great story man thus far and I hope your mom is OK! In case you still deal with sciatica, can I propose this video and in general, the flushing technique?

I have used it with some clients and it helped. Also a good addition, although I am not sure how into this kind of stuff you are, you can stretch your Superior Front Line (a term we use in myofascia release) with the following postures

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31/1622427_605132749575080_1373473307_o.jpg

Keep rocking, I love your journey ^_^

Hey man! Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Also thanks for sharing the link and advice on the Sciatica never thing. Man worst pain I've EVER felt in my life. Couldn't walk for like 2 months. Definitely going to incorporate this stretch and technique. I still get little pains here and there when I lift a little heavy, which sucks because I can't lift like I really want to.

Will update in a few days. Trying to get my first sale. First sale = a shot of Patron LOL.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Congratulations for quitting your job! All you need to do is drown out the drones telling you to get a job, because they gave up on their dreams. Secondly, by the looks of it, you are doing really well!! Keep going, you have had a switch in mindset and will never be able to go back to slavery!

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
@ManWithABeard congrats on your journey...its always been motivating to read such stories!
Cant wait to have my own post of success, for now its planning for me and looking for more opportunities while learning.
Keep us posted! :)

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
figured I'd swing by with another update!

I've been sick for a few days, had something like the stomach flu, which sucked majorly.

Anyway, no sales yet, but that is expected when starting a new venture. On the plus side, the site is still getting steady traffic, and has actually increased since my last update to this thread. Just sharing, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I really need to focus on conversions, so I'll be experimenting with a few techniques and report with more findings.

Also, I have someone volunteering for me as an acting content creator. He's someone i've known quite a while, and he's actually been really helping me with getting more eyeballs to the brand.

Another thing I'm thinking is, with my traffic steadily increasing, should I be looking at ways to effectively monetize that? This is the first time I've had a site pick up like this so I'm sort of unsure and afraid that I may be missing an opportunity with that. Would love some tips and pointers on the matter.

Anyway back to work I go! I hope everyone else is doing well! Ciao for now!

Mr. Tycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 6, 2014
London ,UK
@RBefort, thanks for the reply man. hope all is well
To answer your questions, the only thing I really left behind is security and a steady paycheck. To be transparent I reached my breaking point when I always had to explain why I kept leaving my desk, I have some health issues that do require me to leave for a while to get some air and relax. I had no problem getting medical proof as I even had to go to the ER one day due to the stress from the work environment. The lack of freedom finally got to me, I thought to myself that I'm going to lose my life being tied to the cubicle, that I'm going to die never experiencing the luxury of true freedom.

I really hope I make it, but if I don't, atleast I tried, as fastlaners, we all can atleast say that we all tried what most people only daydream about.

Good for you,man..

About the family,who cares??
Its your life..

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the reply guys!

@Mr. Tycoon ha ha funny you mentioned the words "who cares". Quick funny story, a group of my best buds from my old neighborhood had came up with the idea of making that term their motto a few years ago. Whenever I would complain about something (mostly job related) they would all yell in unison "WHO CARES!". I loved it because they always told me who cares man, just do what you're set out to do. So you're right, who cares! I'm going to be successful one day on my own accord! So it's just like Nike's "Just Do It" they say "Who cares!" I would be like "I want to start a business but I'm scared it's going to fail" and they'd say "Who Cares man! Just go for it!" LOL i love it.

Here's a quick update - I am now addicted to checking my google analytics and my google webmaster central accounts! Just seeing this baby grow each and every day is amazing!

Now I am tempted to switch gears a tiny bit. Because my website only has two products to offer, while many of my competitors are able to offer loads of different products, I took my webstore down and am now just going to probably sell through certain posts and such.

on top of that, I am now wondering, with growing traffic and subscribers, I feel I can one day corner the web market in that regard and in turn maybe start approaching relevant companies about advertising through my site? I mean quite a few actually follow my site and blog, so maybe there's an opportunity in that? Just trying to work with what I have since I obviously don't have the funding to provide a whole spectrum of products like my competitors. I mean the market is still somewhat new so I believe in time I can make that work as well. I'll probably start with start-up companies since they will most likely find the best value in it. But that will wait, I still need to get the traffic to where I want to be. We'll see. It's getting kind of fun :D.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
So I just made 3 sales. boom. Feels good. This now confirms that I'm on the right path. It was funny because right before the sales came in, I was telling myself that this idea was stupid and maybe I was making a mistake. I had read some Bold and Determined to get my mind right, then boom I woke up to messages on my nexus that I had hit some sales.

Just going to keep grinding away and working hard, hopefully later on this week I can land some more sales.

HerpMogul

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 23, 2013
Locationless
So I just made 3 sales. boom. Feels good. This now confirms that I'm on the right path. It was funny because right before the sales came in, I was telling myself that this idea was stupid and maybe I was making a mistake. I had read some Bold and Determined to get my mind right, then boom I woke up to messages on my nexus that I had hit some sales.

Just going to keep grinding away and working hard, hopefully later on this week I can land some more sales.
Thanks man for this whole thread. This has whole story sounds like it is out of my book 6 months from now. I am facing many of the same issues and constraints and I really get motivated with every update so Thank you so much for that.

Any tips for a guy who has no web development skills/knowledge. I am in the process of working with outsourced developers but wish I knew what to even look for.. Great progress thread man I this will case me to start my own!

an not hopefully you'll get more sales.. You will for sure man!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Boom is right! It's one thing to quit your job, it's another to grab some sales.

Are the sales in line with a favorable margin that can be scaled? IOW, did you have to pay $100 to profit five bucks, or did you pay five bucks to profit $100? Work those numbers because the magic is in those.

A big congrats for the sales ... often the hardest thing.

Potential gold in the making here!! VERY EXCITING! (Rep transferred)

Anything you can share that can help others? (Quitting your job should be enough! HA HA)

PS: I moved your thread to the progress forum and tagged it as such.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks man for this whole thread. This has whole story sounds like it is out of my book 6 months from now. I am facing many of the same issues and constraints and I really get motivated with every update so Thank you so much for that.
Any tips for a guy who has no web development skills/knowledge. I am in the process of working with outsourced developers but wish I knew what to even look for.. Great progress thread man I this will case me to start my own!
an not hopefully you'll get more sales.. You will for sure man!!!

Hey man I appreciate the kind words! As far as trying to do this with minimal to no web development skills and knowledge: my opinion is that it is not exactly necessary to have that skillset. It does help though I will say that. Last year I didn't have any knowledge of code, but I went to Code Academy on a whim and was surprisingly having fun doing it. I remember Cantwait2's success story (whose along with MJ's success story brought me a few years ago) and when he first started, he didn't know anything about code but interestingly enough, he would look at it and kind of 'get it'.

Also, last year, I would make fake landing pages over and over again each day until I was comfortable with what I was doing without having to look up stuff for reference. hope this helps!

I say just go for it man, start with a wordress platform. It may not look pretty in the beginning but it's all about providing good content/service/product and fulfilling that need.

Boom is right! It's one thing to quit your job, it's another to grab some sales.
Are the sales in line with a favorable margin that can be scaled? IOW, did you have to pay $100 to profit five bucks, or did you pay five bucks to profit $100? Work those numbers because the magic is in those.
A big congrats for the sales ... often the hardest thing.
Potential gold in the making here!! VERY EXCITING! (Rep transferred)
Anything you can share that can help others? (Quitting your job should be enough! HA HA)
PS: I moved your thread to the progress forum and tagged it as such

Ah man, thanks so much MJ! It's awesome you replied in my thread and I have the hugest dumbest smile on my face right now.

As far as profits go, since this is a fairly new industry and market, the margin is pretty good. Before I got in, I saw businesses getting almost 120% profit margin on the products. However, with more interest in this market, the profit margin dropped but only a little. On the three sales alone for example I spent $6 on and sold for $28 each. In my opinion, it's definitely scalable.

Will post again soon, currently at the library picking up some books a couple coding languages.

Also, I appreciate the move MJ! I had a feeling I may have put this thread in the section LOL.

take care everyone, I will be back in a few days with an update!

HerpMogul

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 23, 2013
Locationless
Hey man I appreciate the kind words! As far as trying to do this with minimal to no web development skills and knowledge: my opinion is that it is not exactly necessary to have that skillset. It does help though I will say that. Last year I didn't have any knowledge of code, but I went to Code Academy on a whim and was surprisingly having fun doing it. I remember Cantwait2's success story (whose along with MJ's success story brought me a few years ago) and when he first started, he didn't know anything about code but interestingly enough, he would look at it and kind of 'get it'.

Also, last year, I would make fake landing pages over and over again each day until I was comfortable with what I was doing without having to look up stuff for reference. hope this helps!

I say just go for it man, start with a wordress platform. It may not look pretty in the beginning but it's all about providing good content/service/product and fulfilling that need.

Ah man, thanks so much MJ! It's awesome you replied in my thread and I have the hugest dumbest smile on my face right now.

As far as profits go, since this is a fairly new industry and market, the margin is pretty good. Before I got in, I saw businesses getting almost 120% profit margin on the products. However, with more interest in this market, the profit margin dropped but only a little. On the three sales alone for example I spent $6 on and sold for $28 each. In my opinion, it's definitely scalable.

Will post again soon, currently at the library picking up some books a couple coding languages.

Also, I appreciate the move MJ! I had a feeling I may have put this thread in the section LOL.

take care everyone, I will be back in a few days with an update!
Thanks for the reply man and that's what I expected. I think I will get a few books and at least try to familiarize myself with it before hiring someone. Def rooting for yah and looking forward to updates and eventually the big reveal!

Btw, You did the right think cutting the chord and it will only hurt for a minute!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks for all the love guys!

Wanted to swing by and share something that's pretty inspirational. Atleast I think so.

So my girlfriend has been out of work for the past year to care for her dad who had cancer. It was pretty bad. (he's okay now thankfully). During that time, she lost her credit cards, her car that she worked hard to get got repossessed and barely scraped by.

So before all that happened, she had started a blog that first started as a personal blog, but after seeing other young women's blogs grow in traffic due to product reviews, she gave it a shot. So over time, she started e-mailing companies asking to review their products. So they sent her their products and she wrote detailed reviews. I even wrote some of them for her because she swears that I am an excellent writer :D.

So, one day she does a review for this young lady that owns an online business (per my girlfriend's request, I have to keep secret what it is and who she is, and i'll explain at the end of the post).

They became quite close during this time as my girlfriend does more reviews for the young lady. As this is all going on, I help my girlfriend with the SEO of her blog so that she can get ranked on Google. Now I'm not an SEO expert or anything, but I do know it enough to use the techniques and such.
*sidenote* the thing about SEO i noticed is it seems to be one of those things where you think you have it down to a science then bam some sh*t happens and now you have to scramble to get back on the front page. Maybe one day I will get better at this kind of stuff*

Oh yeah, for like a couple weeks, we beat out Chris Brown for similar keywords! (one of his songs and my girlfriend's blog share the name name/title). Take that CB! lol

Anyway, my girlfriend ends up doing some web marketing for the young lady's business. I would like to add this young lady's company business brings in more than $1.5 million in revenue with only a handful of employees. (*hint*: it's a tangible product)

Fast forward to now and my girlfriend is in talks with the young lady about doing some official work together, which is why I have to keep details secret. My girlfriend did such a good job and showed over and over again what value she brings to the table that this year may be a very big year for her, I am super proud of her and super excited. On top of that, this inspires me so much more to continue doing what I am doing because after seeing her go through some serious tough times, she never stopped nor gave up. Sometimes she would think about it and I would tell her to not stop, you never know what opportunity will come your way when you constantly put yourself out there. This also makes me proud because both of these people are great examples for other young women that being an entrepreneur is not gender-specific.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share this with you all. As this isn't an actual progress update, this was just too good not to share with my fellow fastlaners.

I will post again soon with some progress of my own. I haven't had sales since the last three I posted about, but I know more are coming soon!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hey BeastWithABeard....Sosososososososo....STOP USING 'SO' AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SENTENCE ! It makes you look bad. Rant over. ;)

Great story about your girlfriend. Seems you two may be on your way to World Domination :wideyed:

Keep going !

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
So, its kind of hard hard for me to stop using that word. Haha just kidding, thank you for the advice, I will surely work on it!

Thanks brother! Maybe one day her and I will be a power couple!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Popping in with another update.

No new sales so far, still getting traffic on the site/blog.

As I'm moving forward, I am planning on starting or opening up a new website that'll do more with whole and distribution of the products in my niche. I now have a relationship with two chinese manufacturers and I believe I can use this to my advantage. They usually keep me up to date with new products that are coming out right before they hit the market. My guy got a contact with a B&M locally to see if they want to be my first clients on that end. If they don't want to do biz with me I'll be happy because I have a first client to distribute to. But if I don't, I'm still happy because I'll know what I need to do in the future to lock in clients and get them to want to do biz with me. On top of that, it also means I stepped up and tried and it only gets easier the more I do it.

I'll be using the current blog as a backlink to the new one as far as SEO goes.

One more thing. My thoughts on the journey so far. The other day, I was in one of those moods where my mind was being negative and wondering what the hell am i doing and is this going to work? The mind can do that sometimes and while it feels horrible, it's just negativity and the fear of being heavily invested in something that may not work out. I've failed before a handful of times. I've also done some cool things before like getting my products from my past venture into a store and having a semi-popular music artist wear my stuff while on tour in Japan. So I kick that negative shit out the way, not mindlessly though because we do have to take a step back and look at the risks and hazards.

Opportunity doesn't fall in our laps or knock our door. We have to knock on opportunity's door and say "let me in! I have value to give to the world motherf#cker!"

Fastlane journeys ain't easy, and they aren't supposed to be. Maybe one day after a few years of grinding I can contribute a success story of my own ha ha.

Anyway enough rambling, more updates to come soon. Stay grinding fellow Fastlaners, we'll get there.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Quick update for everyone.

I am scheduled to have a phone conversation with a local B&M, he sounds pretty interested so I am going to see what we can do to get products in his store. I will also offer to have a live demo at the location as well.

I am going to use some past sales techniques I've learned in the past. It's going to almost like an interview instead of a sales call.

for example I will be asking questions mainly:
-What's your customer base?
-What do you they usually come in to buy?
-What questions do they typically ask your staff?

This is mainly to put the potential client at ease, and to also show that I care and I'm not just trying a whole bunch of stuff on him.

Been a busy week, been running the blog non-stop and have been e-mailing back and forth to the chinese manufacturers as well.

I will post again with another update soon. Thanks for following so far everyone and stay tuned!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Sooner than expected update. Instead of the phone call, the folks at the B&M actually wanted to meet me. Just got back from meeting, they're very interested and want to take the next steps with me. They liked my pricing, loved my knowledge on the product, they were blown away actually.

Tasks for tonight:
Compile an e-mail with a full list of products I'm offering and pricing
task my content creator to do some more blog posts for the site
Have a beer.

*fingers crossed*

more updates coming soon...

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Forget the crossed fingers.... You're doing fine.
Uncross them and you can hold more money !

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
what's up guys! So sorry for lack of updates. So here's an update, with a bit of a weird turn of events:

So a few months back, I decided I needed a bigger and better website. So I built one.

It was great, it had a news column, reviews, opinion pieces on it, all done by me.

Optimized the site and was outranking a bunch of sites in my niche, it was crazy.

Traffic grew up and every day. Each.and.every.day. My past sites I created never experienced that growth.

But, due to details that I can't speak about on a public forum, a case was brought up against me and my site.

Site got shut down. All of that hard work, partnerships everything gone. poof.

So at this time, I got a work at home job and in the meantime, I'm working on another business and website. but this time, I've got my eyes on a different country, but I really need to dedicate some time to research to see if there's still as big as an opportunity there as the last time I was there.

I've got about 8 months until most of my major debt is paid off, i'm thinking of just working this job then paying the debt, then jumping back in the pool. But i'm anxious, I want to jump back in NOW! However, I need to handle this sh#t first.

Anyway, I want to keep this thread alive, so...i guess I'll post updates on my next project from start to finish. that'll be a while though.

ps. If you ask what site it is and such, I will have to respectfully keep those details to myself given the circumstances, I hope you all understand.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Good to see you're still with us. Keep pushing !

I appreciate it man! I'm not going to let this keep me back. This is just a speed bump, a nice valuable speed bump because I did learn a lot and this allowed me to not only sharpen my skills, but I made me realize how valuable these are and will be in the future.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I know exactly how you feel. I spent a lot of money and time this past year getting a REAL education. I'm very thankful !

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
I know exactly how you feel. I spent a lot of money and time this past year getting a REAL education. I'm very thankful !
Yeah I totally feel ya. I'm actually wanting to go back to school to learn more about programming. While I have *some* skill with a few languages, I think having someone teach me how to do it the right way will help me go a long way. I'm really interested now in automation and I think programming will help me tap into that interest further.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.