The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice Writing Fantasy Fiction?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
After watching a few interviews with my writing heroes (Jim Butcher, Brandon Sanderson) I've decided to write some fiction. I'm unsure if this is something I want to even try and make money off of, it's mostly for self development and wish fulfillment.

With NaNoWriMo coming up, I decided to try to write my first novel. I don't care what the official rules are, I'm starting now with the outlining/worldbuilding/etc, maybe some actual writing. I'm aiming for at least 50K by the end of November, although I think 75K is more likely for the story I want to tell.

I hope that my nonfiction+copywriting experience will carry over to fiction as far as keeping readers compelled. I'm confident in my ability to build worlds and characters, however the specifics of grammar and structure is what I find most difficult.

It seems my decision to consume all my content in audio format comes back to bite me. I only read audiobooks now because it allows me to multitask. Turns out, while I can learn/absorb skills in plot/structure/engagement, I don't absorb any information on formatting, grammar, and punctuation.

I was hoping that anybody with more experience than me can give me the most useful writing tip you've picked up over the years.

TL;DR:
I started writing fiction (Here's my progress/log). Do you have any advice for someone who doesn't normally write fiction? What's your most useful tip you've picked up?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Stream your consciousness into words and don't stop to edit until you're done.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Stream your consciousness into words and don't stop to edit until you're done.

Per session? Per chapter? Per book?
When YOU stream do you have an outline built first or just figure it out as you go.

I understand everyone's process will be different, so answer for YOU, I'm super curious.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Per session? Per chapter? Per book?
When YOU stream do you have an outline built first or just figure it out as you go.

I understand everyone's process will be different, so answer for YOU, I'm super curious.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Yeah, per session. For me, I need to have a solid idea of where I need the story to go before I write, but one of the first things I noticed was how trying to edit while creating greatly slowed output and disrupted the organic creation process.

I recall reading somewhere that the parts of the brain used in creation and editing are different, so one should save editing for after a writing session is complete. Staying in the 'stream of consciousness' state while you're writing generally produces better content and higher overall output, at least for me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.