The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Legalize Self-Publishing!

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Hey guys,

I'm so happy to finally have joined your community. I have been reading here for quite some time and especially enjoyed Held for Ransom's and ChickenHawk's threads.

I'm a law student from Germany in my early 20s and I'm eager to take a shot at self-publishing. I have always been looking for the big buck. I played online poker from the age of 18 to 21 and made quite some money with it, but then decided to focus on college.

About my law studies:
I have been studying law for a few years now and I'm definitely gonna finish my studies. The question is whether I will be following the usual legal career path of becoming an attorney in a big law firm or try to go full out fastlane after college. I know these corporate jobs are considered slowlane around here and I totally agree. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind working as a lawyer, because I really like law, meeting new exciting people, working internationally and the salaries are not so bad in Germany. Lawyers in big law firms in Germany make around 100,000 € as a first year associate, which means I would be able to save some of the money and invest it in fastlane style. I also have some ideas how to make the attorney work more fastlane. My uncle has built up a law firm by himself that could be considered somewhat fastlane, having 50 employees and making a good profit.

About self-publishing:
I have always been a big reader. From a young age I would read everything I could get my hands on. I never considered actually writing myself until this year. I read an article about self-publishing and how it's reforming the publishing biz and how it excludes the traditional gatekeepers. I have been reading a lot about how self-publishing works and have listened to a lot of podcasts. So I mainly focused on the business side of things. In the next few months I want to improve my writing skills and write a ton!! write, write, write!

Why I want to pursue the author/self-publishing lane:
My ideal lifestyle would be to have total freedom about when and where I work and on what project. I would love to travel the world for a few years, before I settle down and start a family. In my dream, I see my children grow up having a dad who is always there for them if they need me. I know in many corporate jobs there is almost no time for family. For me it's not about having the biggest house in town or the biggest car. It's about living a lifestyle full of freedom. For archieving that goal i also would strongly consider the approach of outsourcing writing in the far future, as some here on the forum are already doing.

My progress with self-publishing so far:
I have been writing the beginnings of some books so far, but all of them I left after a few days of working on them. Discipline is the key it seems. I have one non-fictious legal essay of about 50 pages in the pipeline, which I definitely plan to publish in the next month. I don't, however, expect any profits from it, the topic is difficult and quite technical. Nonetheless publishing it will be a good training. I am writing on a erotic novel in the context of law studies right now and I'm planning with 30,000 words. I only have around 1k so far :( My goal right now is to learn how to write fiction well and my dream would be to right legal thrillers like John Grisham. I love this guy and all of his books!

I hope I didn't bore you with this long introduction. This progress thread should help me keep up my discipline and show you - the readers - all the mistakes I will be making so you won't make them. If you have any advice or question, please let me know!

PS: I'm sorry for my not always so perfect English.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Having read my starting post, I realize that it sounds like I would only try self-publishing because of the possibility to make money. But that's not fully true. I looove reading a good book. If I were to choose between watching a movie, playing a video game or reading a book, I would always go for the book. A great book like 'The Shadow of the Wind' puts you in another world where you as a reader are able to relive the story written down, as long as you let it happen. To me writing is an art. An art that I would love to master someday.

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Barely 700 words today. Must write faster! around 1,600/30,000 words so far.
I'm trying to take the approach of just plain writing with editing later on, that is recommended here so frequently (I think it was ChickenHawk?).
For the next 3 weeks I'm still making an internship in another city, working at a major law firm, so not much time during the week. I had two internships before and experienced so many crazy things and heard a lot of funny stories that in the back of my head I'm still planning to write a book about my experiences (of course without real names), but I fear of someone finding out my real identity despite using a pen name.

Have to find out how to handle that in Germany. As to my knowledge, even though you are allowed to use a pen name you still have to put up contact information in the book according to German law. Difficult...

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Hey guys,
I have been writing a bit, but I'm still only at 3,050/30,000 words. My internship takes most of my day's time, but I should nonetheless write more! :)

I've seen this link in HFR's thread about Nora Jones, who allegedly makes $ 60 Million per year with her 200+ books. So inspiring! MUST WRITE FASTER! I have a lot of ideas and really enjoy writing so far. And even Nora Jones sometimes has a hard time writing. I mainly have to speed up my writing for now.

Here's the link, check it out!

I plan to translate any book I write from German to English and publish them on Amazon.com etc. inspite of just publishing them on the German portals. I know there are a lot of international self-publishers on here. Any experience or tips regarding publishing in different languages?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The more you write every day the more words you will write. I probably can write between 6,000 words to 10,000 words a day depending on what mood I'm in, but that took a lot of time learning to write that much. Some people time themselves, but I do things better without measuring. Glad to see you are on your way. I'm just learning the self-publishing thing myself. Biggest thing I believe is the marketing.

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
Hey, schöne Geschichte.

Ich habe vor 4 Monaten ebenfalls mit dem Selfpublishing begonnen (Non-Fiction). Habe bisher 8 eBooks (+ 1 Taschenbuch veröffentlicht) und kann gut von den Einnahmen leben. Mein Studium habe ich mittlerweile auf Eis gelegt. Ich plane bis zum Ende des Jahres weitere 10 eBooks + 8 Taschenbücher zu veröffentlichen. Natürlich werde ich mich nicht ausschließlich auf die eBooks verlassen (wer weiß was in ein paar Jahren ist), darum habe ich für die Zukunft weitere Produkte/Einnahmequellen für meine 2 Nischen geplant (Webseiten, Audiobooks, Videos, Smartphone Apps usw.). Am Ende möchte ich ein Netzwerk aus verschiedensten Produkten in meinen Nischen haben, die sich gegenseitig pushen und gegenseitig "erfolgreich oben halten". Dann brauche ich nur noch mehr Produkte "reinpumpen" und kann mir sicher sein, dass sie von Tag 1 erfolgreich sein werden.

Der dt. eBook-Markt steckt noch in den Kinderschuhen und hat ein enormes Wachstum. Das bedeutet: eBooks sind ein super Start für ein Business. Wenn du jetzt viele Bücher veröffentlichst und diese gut platzierst wirst du später umso mehr verdienen.

Mein Ratschlag: Anstatt dein erstes Buch direkt ins Englische zu übersetzen, befasse dich lieber damit, wie du aus deinem Pseudonym eine Marke machst (mehr Bücher schreiben) und wie du deine Leser an dich binden kannst (Facebook, Twitter, EMail-Liste), um deine zukünftigen Bücher erfolgreich zu verkaufen. Kümmere dich lieber darum aus deinen Büchern via Creates pace Taschenbücher zu produzieren (lohnt sich noch immer sehr in Deutschland).

Hast du dann eine Hand voll Bücher und bist erfolgreich damit, kannst du sie in einem Rutsch übersetzen. Falls du bereit bist Geld zu investieren, könntest du aber auch die Übersetzungs-Arbeit outsourcen. Dann hättest du Zeit für die oben genannten (wichtigeren) Dinge, könntest parallel aber trotzdem die engl. Versionen deiner Bücher veröffentlichen. So würde ich es machen, wenn ich Fiction schreiben würde.

Wünsche dir alles Gute und bleib am Ball.

EDITED by moderator (at minimum add an English translation in your posts)

Hey , nice story .

I have 4 months ago also started with the Self Publishing ( non-fiction ) . Have been 8 eBooks ( + 1 Paperback published) and can live on the income . My studies I have now put on hold . I'm planning to the end of the year another 10 eBooks + 8 pocket books to publish . Of course, I will not rely solely on the books (who knows what in a few years ) , so I have more items / sources of income for my 2 niches planned for the future ( websites , Audio Books, Videos , smartphone apps , etc. ) . At the end I want to have a network of different products in my niches that push each other and " successfully keep up" with each other. Then I just need more products " purely pump" and can be sure that they will be successful from day one .

The dt . EBook market is still in its infancy and has tremendous growth . This means that eBooks are a great way to start a business . If you now publish many books and this platzierst well you will later earn even more.

My advice : Instead of your first book to translate directly into English , you dealing rather with how you doing out of your pseudonym a brand ( write more books) and how you tie your readers you can (Facebook , Twitter , email - list ) to your future books to sell successfully . Take care dear matter of your books via Creates pace paperbacks to produce ( still worth it in Germany ) .

Once you have a handful of books and are successful with it , you can translate it in one go . If you are willing to invest money , but you could also outsource the translation work . Then you would have time for the above ( more important ) things could parallel but nevertheless the English . Publish versions of your books . So I would do it if I would write fiction .

Wish you all the best and stay in the game .

[translation provided by Google Translate]

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser113

Hey, schöne Geschichte.

Ich habe vor 4 Monaten ebenfalls mit dem Selfpublishing begonnen (Non-Fiction). Habe bisher 8 eBooks (+ 1 Taschenbuch veröffentlicht) und kann gut von den Einnahmen leben. Mein Studium habe ich mittlerweile auf Eis gelegt. Ich plane bis zum Ende des Jahres weitere 10 eBooks + 8 Taschenbücher zu veröffentlichen. Natürlich werde ich mich nicht ausschließlich auf die eBooks verlassen (wer weiß was in ein paar Jahren ist), darum habe ich für die Zukunft weitere Produkte/Einnahmequellen für meine 2 Nischen geplant (Webseiten, Audiobooks, Videos, Smartphone Apps usw.). Am Ende möchte ich ein Netzwerk aus verschiedensten Produkten in meinen Nischen haben, die sich gegenseitig pushen und gegenseitig "erfolgreich oben halten". Dann brauche ich nur noch mehr Produkte "reinpumpen" und kann mir sicher sein, dass sie von Tag 1 erfolgreich sein werden.

Der dt. eBook-Markt steckt noch in den Kinderschuhen und hat ein enormes Wachstum. Das bedeutet: eBooks sind ein super Start für ein Business. Wenn du jetzt viele Bücher veröffentlichst und diese gut platzierst wirst du später umso mehr verdienen.

Mein Ratschlag: Anstatt dein erstes Buch direkt ins Englische zu übersetzen, befasse dich lieber damit, wie du aus deinem Pseudonym eine Marke machst (mehr Bücher schreiben) und wie du deine Leser an dich binden kannst (Facebook, Twitter, EMail-Liste), um deine zukünftigen Bücher erfolgreich zu verkaufen. Kümmere dich lieber darum aus deinen Büchern via Creates pace Taschenbücher zu produzieren (lohnt sich noch immer sehr in Deutschland).

Hast du dann eine Hand voll Bücher und bist erfolgreich damit, kannst du sie in einem Rutsch übersetzen. Falls du bereit bist Geld zu investieren, könntest du aber auch die Übersetzungs-Arbeit outsourcen. Dann hättest du Zeit für die oben genannten (wichtigeren) Dinge, könntest parallel aber trotzdem die engl. Versionen deiner Bücher veröffentlichen. So würde ich es machen, wenn ich Fiction schreiben würde.

3d72f264b0cf2e7ad14d4eafd894c101fb52afd6e68f74af079d2ff93a495be3.jpg

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey, schöne Geschichte.

Hey , nice story .

I have 4 months ago also started with the Self Publishing ( non-fiction ) . Have been 8 eBooks ( + 1 Paperback published) and can live on the income . My studies I have now put on hold . I'm planning to the end of the year another 10 eBooks + 8 pocket books to publish . Of course, I will not rely solely on the books (who knows what in a few years ) , so I have more items / sources of income for my 2 niches planned for the future ( websites , Audio Books, Videos , smartphone apps , etc. ) . At the end I want to have a network of different products in my niches that push each other and " successfully keep up" with each other. Then I just need more products " purely pump" and can be sure that they will be successful from day one .

The dt . EBook market is still in its infancy and has tremendous growth . This means that eBooks are a great way to start a business . If you now publish many books and this platzierst well you will later earn even more.

My advice : Instead of your first book to translate directly into English , you dealing rather with how you doing out of your pseudonym a brand ( write more books) and how you tie your readers you can (Facebook , Twitter , email - list ) to your future books to sell successfully . Take care dear matter of your books via Creates pace paperbacks to produce ( still worth it in Germany ) .

Once you have a handful of books and are successful with it , you can translate it in one go . If you are willing to invest money , but you could also outsource the translation work . Then you would have time for the above ( more important ) things could parallel but nevertheless the English . Publish versions of your books . So I would do it if I would write fiction .

@Berliner030 I edited your post to include an english translation.

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Hey, schöne Geschichte.

Hey , nice story .

Very inspiring man! Living off your self publishing after only 4 months is a tremendous achievement! And great to see that the German self publishing biz is profitable as well.

Thanks for your tips, I appreciate it. You're probably right that I should focus on writing and/or marketing before translating the books. Outsourcing would be great. I have read a lot about marketing, but I was of the impression that marketing first becomes important when you have several books out there. But yes, I'm gonna create a website for my pen name and a mail list as well. Did you experience a change in profits after concentrating more on marketing?

I'm gonna sort out more information about CreateSpace. I always thought it a pity that there is no real hardcover option.

Please keep us up to date how everything is working out for you. So great to see another aspiring self publisher from Germany on here!

Today I've written another 1,000 words and I'm now at 4,050/30,000. Way to go!

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
About 3 weeks before I started to write my first book I bought a tutorial about how to self puplish books on kindle. It was an A - Z guide about how to find niches and keywords, how to price a book, how to format everything and so on (the whole publishing process). I printed it out and made me notes and uderline the informatioan that seems to be important for me. Next I read everything about self publishing/kindle that I can found on the Internet (blogs, forums, videos and so on) and added all new information to my totorial into the right chapters. So at the end of 3 weeks I had my own bible about self publishing/kindle.

I start to analyse the kindle market (a niche + keywords) and wrote my first book. At the end of may I had a series of 5 books online. Because of my success with this books I decided to create a facebook page and a website (+email list) for my niche (not for my pen name). The reason: If I make the sites for my niche (and not for a specific pen name) I can easily "connect" new pen names to this sites in the future. Next month (june) I published just 2 books in my niche because I read a lot of books about how to be successful with a business, passive income, how to become a strong personality and so on. In July I also wrote 2 new books but not in my niche. I tried to write a short story and one about household (but they are not successful so I decided to concentrate on my first niche). In August I published a printed version of my first books via Create Space. Then I have been on holiday for 4 weeks. Now I am back and my plan is to write 10 more ebooks (+8 print books) for my niche.

So thats all. I dont have a big marketing plan (just FB + a website with an email-list). To set up both you only need one day so I recommend it to you to do this after you published your first book. It takes a long time to see the results (eg. I am getting only 1-3 new facebook likes per day (I have about 140 fans totally right now) but when I publish my next book(s) it helps to sell. I have no specific numbers but I am sure that I will sell better in the future.

Another way to get more fans and email adresses is to publish a book (a short story, specific chapter or something like that) and make it free permanently. You can include hyperlinks to your sites and/or market your other books).

Another advice: If you are a student you have to register a business at the tax office (denn als Student hast du keine Lohnsteuerkarte, musst deine Einnahmen (so gering sie auch sind) dem Finanzamt mit einer jährlichen Steuererklärung mitteilen. Das geht nur wenn du ein Gewerbe angemeldet hast.) But as a lawyer student I think you know about this. I just told you this because I met a lot of people who have no idea about this and got in trouble with the german tax office.

Wish you everything best

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
Thank you so much Berliner030 for your great advice!

Short update:

6,050/30,000 words

I'm definitely a bit disappointed with myself since I had the whole weekend to work on my book, but I didn't set my priorities right.

I have so much respect for all you guys out there writing and self-publishing beside your normal job. I struggle a lot with it, working around 10 hours/day from Monday till Friday at my internship and it's so demanding to push yourself after work to sit down and actually write. But I will push through it and am looking forward to having a one week vacation in around ten days.

Have a great week, guys!

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany
The more you write every day the more words you will write. I probably can write between 6,000 words to 10,000 words a day depending on what mood I'm in, but that took a lot of time learning to write that much. Some people time themselves, but I do things better without measuring. Glad to see you are on your way. I'm just learning the self-publishing thing myself. Biggest thing I believe is the marketing.

That's very impressive! I would love to be able to reach that capacity one day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.